Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

cornbb wrote: »
    Lights on ftw, unless its a sunny day. Its been proven to reduce traffic accidents in studies in Ireland.

I don't drive into my study but each to their own I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

i drive a skoda

What did you drive before you started wearing beige?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I turn mine on as soon as I start the engine. In my Alfa 156 I was able to leave them on the whole time. Rather than beeping when I turned off the engine to tell me my lights were on, it just turned them off automatically so I could just leave them in the on position.
    waraf wrote: »
    Just on a side note - I was riding my bike (back when I was a biker) through Templeogue one Saturday, head to toe in a yellow high viz suit. Woman pulls out in front of me, spots me when she's halfway across the road, panics and stops right in my path. Luckily enough I managed to stop inches from smashing into the driver's door. I gave her a severe tounge lashing (including several expletives) and her excuse was......."sorry I didn't see you". F**king Neil Armstrong could see me from space with that full dayglo suit on!!! I supose the point of the story is that cars are much easier to spot than bikes so we need to give bikers any extra help we can

Sounds like it would have made absolutely no difference if you'd had your lights on, let alone cars having their lights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

always have my lights on
    theres some people out there that
    cant see cars moving.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Though it was fairly obvious but I'll reiterate if you like....

Bikes should have their lights on during the day and cars shouldn't.

This means that if a person is driving in their car they are more likely to register a headlight in their rearview mirror or in their peripheral vision as a motorcycle rather than just another car.

The reason for this is that car drivers are often unaware of motorcyclists approaching them at speed from the rear or just filtering through traffic. Motorcyclists having their light on during the day increases the chances of them being spotted earlier by car drivers.

If everyone including car drivers has their lights on then the bikers don't stand out from the crowd.

I don't think I can be any clearer. It's all about biker safety as they are the most vulnerable on the road.

Bikers do stand out in the crowd - because they zoom up your arse and bloody filter in and out and make driving way more difficult than if they just picked a space between two cars and stayed there. Does my head in

• Advertisement

I drive a volvo so it's automatic but I've always driven with lights on before that too. Even on sunny days - especially in winter when the sun is low - it's much easier to see a car with lights on. I just don't see the point in not doing it.

edit: people still say to me, you know your lights are on, like it's the oddest thing ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

No it's safer for motorcyclists if car drivers do not drive with their lights on. You are more likely to notice a bike in your mirrors if he/she is the only one with a light on. You should know better as an ex-biker - tsk tsk....;)

Am I the only driver who could care less if its safer for motorcyclists?
    Its been proven to improve road safety overall and thus means the motorist (i.e. me) is less likely to be killed. Why should I forgo that extra advantage for the sake of someone who chooses to ride a much more dangerous vehicle?

Want to be safe, biker? Drive a f**king car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Berty wrote: »
    What did you drive before you started wearing beige?

A rover a volvo , saab, opel vectra :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Nope not during the day, unless it's dull and raining obviously.

I drove over in Denmark a few weeks back and it's compulsory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Tom Trojan

No lights when in stealth mode. My onboard radar and object avoidance systems steer clear of obstructions when traveling at light speed.

• Advertisement

it's habit from doing it over winter... i've started remembering not to automaticallty switch them on now. by summer they'll never be on during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Svalbard wrote: »
    Want to be safe, biker? Drive a f**king car.

Ah yes but then where will we get our organ donors from? You can never have enough livers you know.

Mrmoe wrote: »
    Ah yes but then where will we get our organ donors from? You can never have enough livers you know.

tell that to George Best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Do you...

...give descriptive titles to threads?
    ...post in the correct fora?

tman wrote: »
    Do you...

...give descriptive titles to threads?
    ...post in the correct fora?

poll or GTFO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Hazys wrote: »
    I think u are required to do it in Sweden.

It should be a requirement in Ireland also. Just because its daytime doesnt mean its bright. On some really wet days, I've seen (or not seen) silver cars with no lights on, which is extremely dangerous.

And in some States in America.

I don't think it should be a requirement as it's not necessary most of the time (except winter, maybe) but, why can't people just use their bloody common sense and light up when it's lashing rain and dull?

Saw an idiot taxi driver this morning at 06:15 with no lights on!!

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    I don't think it should be a requirement as it's not necessary most of the time (except winter, maybe) but, why can't people just use their bloody common sense and light up when it's lashing rain and dull?

Saw an idiot taxi driver this morning at 06:15 with no lights on!!

see there's exactly why it should be a requirement, cos then the idiots wouldn't have the choice of deciding whether it's dark or not - which clearly they are incapable of doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

ive no choice, as soon as i put my key in the lights come on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I've driven with dipped lights or DRL for over 10 years., why? it's safer for me.

Eircom conducted a trial back in the 1990s and had their fleet of vans/cars
    use dipped beams during the day, their accident rate across the fleet fell
    by 20 odd per cent during the trial and I know they introduced it as policy
    after the trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Personally, I only turn the lights when its dark, raining etc. People driving with dipped lights on during the day doesnt bother me, but at night, nothing is more irittating than a car driving towards you with dazzlingly bright lights, or full head lights on. That really gets my goat!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,715 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I always drive with dipped lights on regardless of weather - my experience is that other drivers don't take stupid chances like pulling out of side roads onto a N-road in front of me, pedestrians walking out in front of the car etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Like my papi sya every one else on the road is an idiot, so expect the worse....

Advertisement