Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage equality referendum

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

eviltwin wrote: »
    Homophobes can't really be changed anyway

Yes they can.

If we are going to be succesful in the referendum we need to stop making assumptions like that.

Theres a big undecided group in the middle who need convincing. If we start shouting "homophobe" at some of them from the outset then we're going to lose.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Yes they can.

If we are going to be succesful in the referendum we need to stop making assumptions like that.

I think the yes campaign will be more productive focusing on the undecided. Just my opinion.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I think the yes campaign will be more productive focusing on the undecided. Just my opinion.

I agree with but again you're making assumptions.

I think there are people with hardened homophobic views that won't change but there may be some people with homophobic views who may be a little bit more open minded and open to persuasion and have an ability to change their views.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Again you're making assumptions.

I think there are people with hardened homophobic views that won't change but there may be some people with homophobic views who may be a little bit more open minded and open to persuasion.

I probably am. Unfortunately I know a lot of very homophobic people who won't entertain a yes vote under any circumstances. We've all seen the debates on the subject, some people can't be changed. Personally I will use my time to engage with the don't knows and try and get them to see the benefits of a yes vote cause if we don't the no side certainly will.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I've been thinking about this thread and the AH thread and what Ninety9er said and what Cydoniac said.

In ways I think a lot of the AH thread has been perhaps a bit too combative. (I include my own posting there too)

I think we need to engage with people a bit more rather than jumping up and down and shouting "homophobe" at them.

Yes, but after hours isn't the real world.

This issue has been trashed out in AH a number of times and there's few undecideds out there.

I doubt there are few undecideds out in the general public either to be honest. While I agree that in real world campaigning and conversations we should engage differently, I think the real campaign will be to encourage turn out from passive supporters.

I see most of the campaigning being to encourage friends and families to get out and vote, and it will be as much about relating our personal stories and showing the very real impact this can have for us than arguing the pros and cons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Yes they can.

Theres a big undecided group in the middle who need convincing. If we start shouting "homophobe" at some of them from the outset then we're going to lose.

They can, but not by referendum campaigning.

I think they homophobes tend to change when LGBT people stop being "other" - when friends and family come out and they finally see it from the other side.

For a lot of these people there is nothing that's nice polite stranger on tv or at their doorstep can tell them to change their minds.

It only becomes real for them when it's a loved one delivering the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Hi everyone, I just wanted to pop in to say that I'll vote for it to be passed, and I'll try to get others to do the same. I even changed my sig for it :pac:

I also posted a thread here for counterarguments to the likes of Senator Ronan Mullen and all those against SSM. Please don't be turned away by the fact it's in Atheism & Agnosticism, it's a thread everyone pro-SSM is welcome to contribute to :).

Ambersky wrote: »
    Are there any links to the points GLEN were making at the Referendum event Joeytheparrot I cant seem to find any more on it than the bit you posted which I thought was very interesting. I would like to know more.
    I found this on the AH thread

http://www.kaycairns.com/#!How-to-Win-the-Equal-Marriage-Referendum/cczi/82D4D649-32FC-4B81-8B03-59CC08A821E5

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

My wife and I had about 100 adults at our civil partnership last year and I'll be individually asking every one of those people to remember to take half an hour out of their day to vote. It's a small thing to them, but it'll be huge to all of us. I imagine they'll be supportive since they came to help us celebrate, but, like the rest of you, I'm terrified they'll assume things will turn out alright and not make the effort to ensure their voice is heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Ambersky wrote: »
    Oh sorry how silly of me. Well 99er do you have any more info or links to suggestions from GLEN or to what was said at that get together.

When people bring religion, god, sex, children, adoption or family into it, kindly and politely advise that is not the issue under discussion (talking politely under them if they attempt to talk over you) and advise it is about commitment, love and strengthening the institution of marriage by allowing more consenting adults to engage in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

This referendum is very much ours to lose.

I think we can't go around saying "If you aren't planning on voting yes you are a homophobe". We can't get worked up about how oppressed we used to be. Everything we say should be positive - it is up to the No side to make their arguments look foolish.

Just my two cents.

This referendum is very much ours to lose.

I think we can't go around saying "If you aren't planning on voting yes you are a homophobe". We can't get worked up about how oppressed we used to be. Everything we say should be positive - it is up to the No side to make their arguments look foolish.

Just my two cents.

Completely agree - when you read the underlying data in the polls it is certainly ours to lose.

http://www.redcresearch.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Same-Sex-Marriage-Poll-Feb-2014.pdf

Read it. It shows the yes vote is very very insecure.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

is there a site that you can check if you registered to vote. I'm registered for local election and I think European elections so I am assuming I am registered to vote?
    When will do I receive my voting card?

Bowlardo wrote: »
    is there a site that you can check if you registered to vote. I'm registered for local election and I think European elections so I am assuming I am registered to vote?
    When will do I receive my voting card?

www.checktheregister.ie

You need to check you are on the draft 2015/2016 register

You'll get a voting card when there is an election or referendum

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement