Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Led bulbs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Lasers give off less heat and scale up better than LED's

I have my entire house lit with LEDs (a new build) and I can tell you, LEDs emit virtually zero heat! Mine are three watt bulbs and are maybe slightly warmer than room temperature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Maybe i got some weird led gu10's but they were almost too hot to touch after being lit for a few hrs. Are the new ones much cooler then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Some experience.

After reading here a few months ago I counted up the spots in my house and got to 34 x 50w bulbs. Some were gu10, some were mr16.

I went to eurosales in glasnevin and bought 5 of the 10euro ones. These are 5W, are not dimmable and are really only for replacing 35w bulbs. I took some before and after shots and its very noticable.

I replaced all bathrooms lights with these 10e ones. Very happy with them in there as the kids leave the light on all night.

then the kitchen, I went and got 2x 18euro 6W ones for there to try them out. the light is about 90% of the power of a 50W halogen. Its noticable, but not so much so its acceptable.
    I then got some 2 x 20e 6W dimmable ones for the sitting room. The dimmer is fine with them.

I had to get gu10 cables for them all, these are about 1.50e. really easy to fit.

So I was looking at 500euro to replace all bulbs which is too much for an outlay so I bit the bullet and went online trying to find them cheaper and trawled the chinese wholesale websites, dhgate in particular. Yes Ive read about the dodginess of the sites but Ive bought from them before and while sometimes a delay I find they do come in. Sure enough 4 weeks after order, in came the bulbs. I got 10 x 9W (3 x 3w) for what worked out at 35e , I got caught for duty which worked out at 14e. So all in about 4.90 a bulb. The 9Ws really replace the 50Ws, a little brighter maybe, but I got a bluish light instead of the usual yellow type light. Im going to try these for a bit to see how I get on. Look very nice in the bathrooms.

You can take your pick of the dhgate sites, search for gu10. I wouldnt recommend the blu-ish light for kitchen. Try and work out the delivery to be under 22e to avoid customs but most of the sites ship in bulk to reduce cost.

Ive read about the quality of the cheaper LEDs but at less than 25% of the price here (9w equiv is 27e here), I think its worth it for a while to see what theyre like.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

gman2k wrote: »
    I have my entire house lit with LEDs (a new build) and I can tell you, LEDs emit virtually zero heat! Mine are three watt bulbs and are maybe slightly warmer than room temperature.
    That means you have good heatsinks :)
    or it's very drafty :p

Soldering irons come in 15W sizes and smaller so watts alone are no guide.

The base of CFL's get hot if they don't get enough ventilation, and the capacitors in them don't like it.

I view CFL's as a temporary workaround until cheaper and more efficient LEDs arrive. My rational for not investing heavily at this point in time in LED for general lighting is summed up Haitz's Law. http://www.ledsupplies.co.uk/blog/explanation-of-haitz-law/
    Dr. Roland Haitz first proposed the law at the Strategies in Light conference which was held in the year 2000
    The Law mentioned the cost per Lumen of LED lighting would fall to 10 percent of its original price every ten years. During the same period, the lumen power of LEDs would enhance 20 times.
    Since the year 2000, lighting companies have invested heavily in LED research. The Haitz’s laws reality. There are LED lighting systems with 100 lm/W efficiency. Prototype LED bulbs have exceeded 200 lm/W.

The Haitz’s law was precise about everything apart from the time frame. LEDs are developing faster than the Law forecast.

I can remember when blue LED's cost £5 each.
    ( I think they were 0.02 watts )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ikea Plans to Sell Only LED Lights Worldwide to Cut Emissions[/URL]
    Pity they don't list ones with standard Irish B22 connectors ;)
    Ikea Group, the world’s biggest home- furnishings retailer, said it will sell only light-emitting diode lamps and bulbs in its stores by 2016
    4 years sounds about right. LED technology gets 10 times cheaper per decade and by then they should be better value than CFL.

But they still don't compete with CFL - this one is LOL
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/10222473/
    LEDARE LED bulb E27 IKEA LED consumes 85% less energy and lasts 20 times longer than incandescent bulbs.
    LEDARE
    LED bulb E27
    € 11.00
    Assembled size
    Luminous flux: 400 lm
    Power: 8.1 W
    The bulb emits 400 lumen which is approximately equal to the light emitted by a 40-watt incandescent bulb.
    Not dimmable.
    LED life time approx. 20.000 hours.
    Light colour; warm white (2700 Kelvin).
    Contains no mercury.

The OSRAM CFL I listed earlier also gives 400 lm for 8 Watts so ZERO power savings despite costing nearly 5 times as much.
    Yes it lasts three times longer than the 6,000 hours of the CFL. But 6,000 hours is four hours a day for the next four years.

Pity they don't list ones with standard Irish B22 connectors ;)

4 years sounds about right. LED technology gets 10 times cheaper per decade and by then they should be better value than CFL.

But they still don't compete with CFL - this one is LOL
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/10222473/

The OSRAM CFL I listed earlier also gives 400 lm for 8 Watts so ZERO power savings despite costing nearly 5 times as much.
    Yes it lasts three times longer than the 6,000 hours of the CFL. But 6,000 hours is four hours a day for the next four years.
    Yup, you're right, they're not worth looking at the minute with current prices.

We'll bump this Thread in 2016.:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Its suddenly gone very quiet in here,I wonder why??

paddy147 wrote: »
    Its suddenly gone very quiet in here,I wonder why??
    Goods not deliverable maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

The Law mentioned the cost per Lumen of LED lighting would fall to 10 percent of its original price every ten years. During the same period, the lumen power of LEDs would enhance 20 times.

Cost is something that can drop to nearly zero, so forecasts of 90% cost reduction every 10 years seems reasonable and in line with other electronics. However, physics limits the efficiency to 100% of the theoretical maximum, if I remember correctly, maximum theoretical electricity to light conversion is set at 250 lm/W or so. Current off the shelf LED part hit the 100 lm/W mark, a bit more on more modern samples and on less powerful outputs. But the limit is 250 lm/W, and we are already very close to reasonable engineering limits on that.

Other different matter is getting full bulbs to the market in the 150 lm/W range, with cool and warm white color temperatures , good CRI (>90) and prices people can afford (or can be offset by energy savings due to the whole bulb lasting close to the advertised tens of thousands hours for LED lab testing at 25 ºC).

Current commercial LED bulbs are only slightly better than CFL regarding efficiency , much more expensive, and build quality has lots of room for improvement. Nobody guarantees output on a given period (which, for example, is common practice for PV panels) nor the use of quality-sourced electronics in the AC/DC conversor (and no one talks about how efficient those are).

There is a long way to go, but more in the manufacturing area rather than technology. Current LED technology is second to none regarding efficiency, but it seems getting affordable quality parts to the market is the missing link here.

• Advertisement

dardhal wrote: »
    However, physics limits the efficiency to 100% of the theoretical maximum, if I remember correctly, maximum theoretical electricity to light conversion is set at 250 lm/W or so.
    Cree have demonstrated 254 lm/W
    There is a long way to go, but more in the manufacturing area rather than technology. Current LED technology is second to none regarding efficiency, but it seems getting affordable quality parts to the market is the missing link here.
    The costs will drop as volume goes up. And volume will go up as they become more competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭hipdoobloon

I've been reading through this thread and I'm now more confused than when I started reading , LEDs cfls lasers etc I have 20 downlighers fitted in my house and I was goin 2 replace with 4-5 watt LEDs 2 save on the lecky I know they are pricey but I've been on fleebay and different sites trying 2 see is there bargains 2 be had compared 2 the pricey Irish lecky wholesalers .

?1 do they really pay 4 themselves within 12 mths of fitting , 90% saving on electricity apparently or is it just a sales pitch ?

? 2 do the cheap chinese at probably a 3rd of the price on eBay 4 example perform as well as the pricey makes ?

Finally and more importantly if I spend nearly 400€ on 20 dimmable bulbs am I buying a technology that's worth the money or 1 that's goin 2 be dated in a year or so with the previous mentions of the new laser bulbs . Some clarity on this issue would be really appreciated .

90% is downhill with the wind behind you , ignoring power supply losses kinda figure

and it's only 90% compared to the worst incandescent, you don't save all that much compared to CFL

dodgy chinese LED's are dodgy - don't believe the specs or CE safety ratings

90% is downhill with the wind behind you , ignoring power supply losses kinda figure

and it's only 90% compared to the worst incandescent, you don't save all that much compared to CFL

dodgy chinese LED's are dodgy - don't believe the specs or CE safety ratings

Amen to that. I had 10 of them and the last one went a few days ago. I opened it up to see what the story was. Standard enough looking components abd i noticed the speal on one of them said it had overtemp shut off. I briefly thought of tinkering with it. Briefly.
    Meanwhile, my trusty CFL's are still going strong.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ledbulb

Hi, what is the price for cfl gu10 bulb? I think they are at the same price as led. So if i am right why tu use cfl gu 10?

Maybe i miss something but you can't re
    place gu10 halogen by gu10 cfl because of size . Cfl gu 10 are higher so fitting have to be replace.

The cfl's are longer but still fit inside the glass shades. However, i did get stung with one that had a wide body at the back so it wouldn't go far enough into the fitting to plug in. Much gnashing of teeth ensued!

ledbulb wrote: »
    Hi, what is the price for cfl gu10 bulb? I think they are at the same price as led. So if i am right why tu use cfl gu 10?
    Because, from my experience, cfl's last longer and are brighter for the same money. Led's have a narrower field of view too.
    Once bitten, twice shy.

As you well know GU 10 bulbs , like E14 and E27 are more expensive than normal UK/IRL B22 bayonet fittings. They are to be avoided at all costs if you want to keep total ownership costs down.

You can buy a 0.3W LED / 8W CFL combo for €2.29 in Woodies

When running on LED it uses so little electricity that it's probably cheaper to leave it on than pay for replacing the light switch. Flick the switch to get the CFL running. Saves you the cost of a dimmer too.

In the real world LED's loose efficiency over time, especially when run at higher currents.

Here electricity costs are ~20c per unit
    LED PSU's are not 100% efficient , hint : is the transformer warm ?

http://www.electrobob.com/led-logger/
    The light has been on continuously for about 700 hours, almost a month. The graph shown below will be updated periodically. So far, the LED strip has dropped about 12% in brightness compared to the beginning. Current has stayed the same, meaning that they are actually reducing their efficiency.

Based on the price I paid for the LED strip (~4.5 EUR/m), local electricity price of about 0. 09 EUR/KWh and bulb price, but excluding the LED PSU and workmanship for installing everything it takes 2800 hours for the LEDs to become cheaper than the incandescent.

What about more expensive LED strips? I used the same thinking as above and found more expensive strips with Nichia LEDs require about 7000 hours before they become cheaper than incandescent, again excluding the PSU. This is a rather rough estimation considering the brightness and efficiency specs are right. Again, the manufacturer of the strips doesn’t give any data about the intensity decay, so the cost effectiveness of the solution is still unknown.

Make no mistake LEDs are the future.
    CFLs are only a bridging technology for the next few years.

Major investments in LED is probably not worth it unless the the payback time against CFL's (some as low as 89c) is very short.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

As you well know GU 10 bulbs , like E14 and E27 are more expensive than normal UK/IRL B22 bayonet fittings. They are to be avoided at all costs if you want to keep total ownership costs down.

Sometimes you have no choice, have a Lidl lamp that takes a E14 golf-ball, replaced the standard bulb at least 4 times in a short time, so got sick of replacing the bulb, and most E14 energy bulbs were to high (physical height to fit), so after over 3 yrs got a LED mini-globe 2.4W A-class (25yr*) in Tesco last week, ok €9 but still cheaper than the 4 blown bulbs, just glad to have the table lamp working again, and running at 2.4W is excellent, perfect soft light. I think it's worth the money & I'm gonna look out to get another of those lamps as now worth buying.

Summary: E14 Tesco small-screw cap LED mini globe 2.4W=15W €9

Yep LED is the way to go

• Advertisement

Tomk1 wrote: »
    Sometimes you have no choice, have a Lidl lamp that takes a E14 golf-ball,
    You have a choice

Don't buy designer lamps with screw fittings.

They'll screw you every time :pac:

TBH designer lamps at this stage could be made with build in LEDs , and just use a CE rated 12V power supply. Since the lamp isn't mains voltage there should be some savings on wiring it.

( You are paying €3.75 per watt of LED )

One of the big problems with screw lamps is that you have to tighten them every so often as bad contact can shorten their lives. Standard light bulbs don't have that problem

LedBulb...I find it amazing that you avoided my question to you when I asked you on how you have tested all these bulbs a few weeks ago.

You are just on a sales pitch here to sell your own stuff,yet you cant/wont answer me on how you tested hundreads of different led bulbs that you "claim" to have tested.
    I mention this product because paddy147 looking for example, if he can't accept the fact that technology go further his problem , I've tested more than 50 different bulbs and I know that bulb which was good one year ago now not seems to be that good ,

To be honest I like to inform everyone that i have business with led lights, and from my first post it was not a secret , after few months of sales have in my hands hundrets of led bulbs and lamps not only one or two , i never try to sell something on this forum , I like to hear others opinion, and give my opinion (after really many tests not after one or two bulbs hanging in my kitchen) , i understand that in this conditions for some people my opinions sound irresponsible , thats ok, i like paddy's opion about his philips lamps too, my opinion or rather fact make him angry, so let him cool and stop ths case. Hope everything is clear now.

Yet still no answer to these "claims" of yours.You run off and hide for a while instead.

Funny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

As a broad rule if you want to calculate whether it is worth changing lamp type it is down to how much (kWh saved x your electricity rate) you will save against the cost of the lamp (divided by its' predicted annual hours). In reality most people in a domestic situation will only save enough money in the principal rooms like Kitchen/living rooms, bedrooms etc just won't have the burning hours to justify the changeover. Of course a teenagers bedroom may have a living room level of occupancy as may landings and halls where there is near constant occupancy.

The lamp shape/base is also important, GU10 50w were widely installed and are easily replaced by much more efficient LEDs which come in a range of angles from 25 deg spotlights to 45 deg downlights and an even wider range of wattages (CFL GU10s are often too big for the recessed fittings).

Bayonet or Edison LED lamps tend to be more expensive and the watt savings are less dramatic, so tend to be less economical but there is a slightly wider choice and lower price in the ES lamps as they are used europewide.

Bottom line is that they are different, they can save you money in the right rooms, but you have to like them. I'm not a labels kind of person but on these I differ, buy a name you trust from a local wholesaler not a cheap brand on the net and stay away from the cluster lamps with 30 odd led cells frying each other.

Just a heads up here.

Tesco in Artane Castle and Clarehall are now selling "Tesco" 6 watt GU10 LED lights.

Also "Tesco" B22 and E27 8 watt LED bulbs too.

All are 7 euro each.

Took a B22 bulb out and had a look at it,seems ok to look at,but wouldnt know how good or bad it may be.

PS-Waits for some idiot to now say that I work for Tesco.;):rolleyes::pac::D

paddy147 wrote: »

PS-Waits for some idiot to now say that I work for Tesco.;):rolleyes::pac::D
    :confused:

Do you own Tesco?

Paddy, i've looked around for info on those lights you mentioned but i cannot find any. Cheers for the heads up. I'll be near a tesco tomorrow so i might look and see what the story is with them.

Hi , you need lamp or bulb so you have to buy them first, you need luxmeter, few bases, few downlights in your house and that's it. To be honest i don't really understand your question.
    Off course any person have his own preferences if we talk about light colour .
    Thats my way to testing LED lamps and bulbs, lamps.
    That is not profesional testing i don't have an Ulbricht sphere.
    Hope we finish our little war.

Let me know how they like please. Thanks

Ledbulb you talk a hell of alot,but when asked questions you fail to answer or prove anything that you claim.

I see you avoided me yet again and dont want to answer me over your claims that I have quoted above in post number 83.

• Advertisement

:confused:

Do you own Tesco?

Nope....wish I did,then Id be a wealthy man.:D

But I was accused of working for Eurosales on another LED related thread,becuase I posted pics of a particular LED bulb and spoke about it and how I found it and its light in my house.

I was also accused before of having business links to a spray foam insulation company,because I mentioned their name and posted pics of both my attics spray foamed.

Oh and I was also accused of having business links to the solar panel company who installed my solar hot water system in my house.

All completely untrue and false accusations.

All I am is a homeowner and have no business links to any company that I have ever mentioned on boards.ie.

Advertisement