Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FSA "off topic" thread - No discussion relating to FSA or Soccer - please read post 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

wonski wrote: »
    MS Office has to be paid for. There are free options out there, though.
    Don't expect it to be free in a laptop in 200-400 range. I even doubt it is free in a top range except special offers / promotions in PC World etc...

That open office looks fine. Cheers.

Done. €185

Thanks Lemlin and Wonski.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

FHFC wrote: »
    That open office looks fine. Cheers.

Used it for a while, Excel (whatever it is called in open) is a bit different but you get used to it after a while. Wouldn't pay €100 for an official one to use at home to do random tables tbh.

Done. €185

That was quick. Nice price, I kind of regret of buying other one few months ago... Could save a fortune there

Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Cheers for that lads after going for the Dell there now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Done. €185

In before the price rise I see. Can't take any chances so soon after the madness of Christmas with a lot of disgruntled people willing to grab hold of any bargain.

No Microsoft Office is a risk but Open might tide you over for now. Dell's can be injury prone though, risk and reward I guess :pac:

In before the price rise I see. Can't take any chances so soon after the madness of Christmas with a lot of disgruntled people willing to grab hold of any bargain.

No Microsoft Office is a risk but Open might tide you over for now. Dell's can be injury prone though, risk and reward I guess :pac:

Mr.P will own the whole internet one day. He will.

I was told Dell's doctor is as pleasant as Chelsea's one;)

He might not be a doctor, nor is she, but still nice:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Done. €185

Bargain alerts is a great forum to keep an eye on when looking for anything like that. I got a great deal on my PS4 at Xmas from Argos that was put up there.

€185 is nothing for a laptop. You could spend that on a good night out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

In agony with my back :( can hardly walk...... I'm like an old man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

For all you Ed Sheeran/ 2pac fans :cool:

First visit to FSA from my nice new Laptop!

Windows 8 makes me feel very old indeed......ugghh. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Have a total hatred for Windows 8, rotten altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭tom_k

dahat wrote: »

Windows 10 will be available for free to all users of Windows 7 and 8 upon it's release. The only problem is it won't be released until late 2015.

For any GAA fans, the mighty Cavan are on BBC One NI against Tyrone in the McKenna Cup at half 7. Just press the red button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Lemlin wrote: »
    For any GAA fans, the mighty Cavan are on BBC One NI against Tyrone in the McKenna Cup at half 7. Just press the red button.

If people are GAA fans it's probably best to leave it off to be honest:pac:

• Advertisement

If people are GAA fans it's probably best to leave it off to be honest:pac:

A Limerick man is in no position to start slagging related to GAA...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Just press the red button.

the off button is it? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Tbf Limerick have had more gaa success in recent times than Cavan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Limerick is only where I live.
    Cork born and bred:D

Even if I was from Limerick 1973 seems like only yesterday compared to 1952:P

Speaking of gaa success. Waterford about to win the McGrath Cup. Gaelic football success is a rare thing in these parts

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote: »
    Tbf Limerick have had more gaa success in recent times than Cavan

Compare the population of Limerick to Cavan though. We're working off a small base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

dahat wrote: »

Windows 8.1 with classic shell is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Compare the population of Limerick to Cavan though. We're working off a small base.

Every time Offaly get up to Croker not so much now but most weeks in the 90s i think that if every person in the county goes it still wouldnt make it a full house.

I didnt realise that Leitrim/Longford had that small a population
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_counties_by_population

Steven81 wrote: »
    Every time Offaly get up to Croker not so much now but most weeks in the 90s i think that if every person in the county goes it still wouldnt make it a full house.

I didnt realise that Leitrim/Longford had that small a population
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_counties_by_population

Yep and Cavan up 14% because of the invasion of commuters we had in the East of the county.

That'll probably restart now with the way housing is going in the capital again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Type in 'lackadaisical' into Google and see what they give as an example to the definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Have a question for you folks.

One of my neighbour is planning to spend a year in Ireland (based in Dublin) and she'd like to know a school or institute (public or private) where she could be registered to learn English (she's French). She needs this registration certificate to benefit from a study leave. She's an adult.

Would there be some kind of equivalent to the Alliance Francaise for learning English?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

iroced wrote: »
    Have a question for you folks.

One of my neighbour is planning to spend a year in Ireland (based in Dublin) and she'd like to know a school or institute (public or private) where she could be registered to learn English (she's French). She needs this registration certificate to benefit from a study leave. She's an adult.

Would there be some kind of equivalent to the Alliance Francaise for learning English?

I wrote a long post in reply to your question but boards inexplicably logged me out and deleted everything I had to say. :mad::(

So here it is again in a nutshell. :pac:

Tell your friend to be careful what English school she chooses. Lots of schools have closed over the last year. Due to lack of regulation many of these continued to enrole new students and take registration fees right up until they closed their doors.

It has been widely covered in the media here that many students have had extreme difficulty in recovering money paid to these schools.

A useful website may be the accreditation body thats been set up to oversee these English colleges:
    http://acels.ie/Search.aspx?location=Dublin

A word of caution however; the first college on that list closed it's doors today!
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0126/675752-english-school/

I'd imagine just from a quick glance at that list that either school associated with either DCU or Dublin Business School should be reliable enough.

Maybe somebody a bit more "in the know" can provide some more info.

There are only five countries whose names end in L, name them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭tom_k

Israel, Portugal, Brazil.

Not gonna cheat on this, racking my brain for the other two...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Nepal.

• Advertisement

Been meaning to ask the gamers this. My time playing consoles predates the whole X Box Live type connectivity of thing, so have no experience of it.

Santa landed with an xbox 360 for my son, he's only 8, minecraft is his big thing, only thing in fact. He's looking to get onto the XBox Live to be able to download worlds etc, not looking to be playing remote games nor do I want him to. I'm just wondering is it a straightforward enough thing to only use it minimally and leave things he's not interested in, or will i be tortured with him wanting to download something else for €1.89 every bloody week like with the Ipad? I'm assuming if I don't want him interacting with people on it that's easy enough to block.

I don't mind getting it for him if he'll get more out of the Minecraft thing but I don't want it to take over and become a pain in the ass.

Any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

A clue for country number 5:
    Stoke may see a player from this country return at the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Senegal

Dentist waiting room is no fun :(

Been meaning to ask the gamers this. My time playing consoles predates the whole X Box Live type connectivity of thing, so have no experience of it.

Santa landed with an xbox 360 for my son, he's only 8, minecraft is his big thing, only thing in fact. He's looking to get onto the XBox Live to be able to download worlds etc, not looking to be playing remote games nor do I want him to. I'm just wondering is it a straightforward enough thing to only use it minimally and leave things he's not interested in, or will i be tortured with him wanting to download something else for €1.89 every bloody week like with the Ipad? I'm assuming if I don't want him interacting with people on it that's easy enough to block.

I don't mind getting it for him if he'll get more out of the Minecraft thing but I don't want it to take over and become a pain in the ass.

Any advice.

I used to have Xbox Live a few years back when I had a 360 and never had any issues with it. It's fairly basic to use and would be good in that there is alot of free demo content put up on it to download.

I didn't see much of that craic you get on the Ipad with apps e.g. here's Sonic free but every two seconds prompts come up asking you to buy 100 rings for €4.99!

Yeah, you pay the annual fee, and thats it. No in-game purchases, though I don't know about minecraft.

For extra security, don't buy the subscription off Microsoft. There are plenty of people selling them cheaper on eBay etc. You pay through PayPal, and MS don't have your cc details, so the little fella can't accidentally spend your cash.

I'm on the phone, so can't give you a link but the xbox forum on boards should have a thread solely for this type of thing.

I didn't see much of that craic you get on the Ipad with apps e.g. here's Sonic free but every two seconds prompts come up asking you to buy 100 rings for €4.99!

Cheers. The above is exactly what I mean. Don't want there being some new thing or other he'll be looking to download for 1.99 every other week.

https://android.paddypower.mobi/#!paddypower_publication_event_iphone.t?classId=301&typeId=13610&eventId=8291261

Pp enhanced email special. Liverpool, utd, spurs to win 16/1. Less than 5/1 normally. Spurs defo the weak link but that's a serious enhancement. Max bet 13 yoyo

• Advertisement

qfK0yUZ.jpg

Lol poor fecker

Cheers. The above is exactly what I mean. Don't want there being some new thing or other he'll be looking to download for 1.99 every other week.

It's a joke on the tablets alright. I have a Samsung Galaxy 2 and refuse to add my credit card details to it for that reason.

qfK0yUZ.jpg

Lol poor fecker

Been looking at this for ages and still don't get it?

qwabercd wrote: »
    Been looking at this for ages and still don't get it?

Look into reasons why houses don't have snow on their roofs :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Look into reasons why houses don't have snow on their roofs :D

I'm still lost!

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'm still lost!

Some people use their attics to grow some "substances" . These substancs require warm conditions to grow

• Advertisement

https://android.paddypower.mobi/#!paddypower_publication_event_iphone.t?classId=301&typeId=13610&eventId=8291261

Pp enhanced email special. Liverpool, utd, spurs to win 16/1. Less than 5/1 normally. Spurs defo the weak link but that's a serious enhancement. Max bet 13 yoyo

Looks home and hosed - cheers for the heads up...I ought to paypal you some of my winnings!

Only 5 on it but it will buy me a few pints

Ding ding ding

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Only 5 on it but it will buy me a few pints

same as, cheers for that

Ding ding ding

Did a tenner on this myself. Happy days.
    Says it all that I forgot about it and was still pissed off at Eriksen and Kane.

• Advertisement
Advertisement