Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Live 8 as it happens....

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Excellent im lost for words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I am nearly crying here, Comfortably Numb is one of my all time favourite songs !!!!!

Thank you Bob Geldof for allowing me to experience this !!!

Bob geldolf is the man i applaud him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Superb

Better do a tour , tbh would have paid to see them.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,237 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I never was a Pink Floyd fan and to be honest I am not impressed with them tonight.
    Cant see the attraction.
    Talented musicians but poor song writers.
    The Who were good though

Wasnt a fan either i must say but hey they are gr8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

Were U2 playing a gig tonite ? Is that why they were 2nd up ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,237 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

U2 are playing Vienna tonight.

• Advertisement

Ya their tour , its nearly over quite an experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

man they were amazing

they certainly were

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Wow!

Outstanding

The whole thing was pretty good from Angels on. Especially The Who and Pink Floyd.

I still cant help wishing that Freddie was there.

EDIT: Also Fern is something else altogher. Whats her surname. Briton or something?

• Advertisement

Best concert ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

watching repeat on rte2

Aha. Here comes Macca again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Arabel wrote:
    The whole thing was pretty good from Angels on. Especially The Who and Pink Floyd.

I still cant help wishing that Freddie was there.

EDIT: Also Fern is something else altogher. Whats her surname. Briton or something?

Fearne Cotton

Excellant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

Zeppie wrote:
    Wow ...wud love to see Slash! Was only 11 then tho :( :rolleyes:
    oooooooo the jealousy :( i was only 5 then! slash is just..........................mezmirising (can't think of a better word!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

gandalf wrote:
    I am nearly crying here, Comfortably Numb is one of my all time favourite songs !!!!!

Thank you Bob Geldof for allowing me to experience this !!!

Exact same way I felt, oh god let them do a tour again.
    How perfect did it sound !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Mariah Carey did so much damage, who ever decided to get her should be hung in public.

It was an outstanding event, brilliant all round, but it lagged so much and ruined the live atomosphere momentum that was build up towards the end by having Mariah Carey do her soppy ****ing love songs. Plus Peter Kay didnt help either. It could of been streamlined a lot better, and then it would of had a much better impact. I know they wanted to please everyone, but really, come on, who the **** goes to Live 8 to see Mariah ****ing Carey play? There were a few others who put a damper on it too, still though, great event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

maroon 5 went up in my opinon with a great version of rockin in the free world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

I never was a Pink Floyd fan and to be honest I am not impressed with them tonight.
    Cant see the attraction.

Poor songwriters? ha ha, that is literally the funniest thing i have ever heard. Pink Floyd have written some of the most amazing songs in history, FACT.

Now be gone.

PLEASE TOUR, PLEASE!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

Cant see the attraction.

im all for people having opinions and all but please just shutup

didnt see pink floyd performing im sure theres a video floating about on the net somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I missed it last night, but I taped a good chunk of it. After some frantic rewinding and fast-forwarding I found the bit with Pink Floyd and oh my god. They were fantastic. Really fantastic. The solo of Comfortably Numb had to be the highlight of the concert.

As for song writing, it's an abstract concept, but I maintain that the bit in comfortably numb that goes "There'll be no more 'aahhh' " is a master-stroke of song writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

i must say Placebo were the best for me, really good especially with the build up and anticipation before they came on due to all the fans shouting "placebo" all day. Brian Molko was on fire.
    There so big in france the, the french just cant get enough of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Kazaanova wrote:
    Mariah Carey did so much damage, who ever decided to get her should be hung in public.
    Yeah, like Pink Floyd, it was nice to see her get back together for the event.

Highlights for me were The Who and Pink Floyd.

I was 15 when Live Aid first happened, and believe me, it wasn't a patch on the Live8 show in terms of the music. The Who were attrocious at Live Aid, and I think that was the reason they totally rocked last night. Led Zep were so bad that they've prevented any footage of their set ever being shown publically.

I've just one small critism of what was a very, very good show, and that was the weakness of some of the links, in particular Ricky Gervais and Peter Kaye. I initially thought the whole thing with Gervais slagging off the sound man was a sketch.

I don't think they used the 'revolving stage' concept of the original Live Aid, so band set-ups took much longer.

However, I wouldn't expect the reformed Pink Floyd to tour any day soon - the body language of Gilmour and Waters was obvious with the two not even making eye-contact. It was good to see that Nick Mason can still actually play the drums and not depend on a live back-up drummer. It was also great to see Wright playing keyboards with them - his contribution has always been overlooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone spot Pete Townshends tremolo arm give up the ghost during Who Are You? Quick guitar change at end of song!

Also Tessa Jowell who's the Cutlure minister was threatening to pull the plug at 10 pm, citing crowd problems if things dragged on too long. She'd proberly seen Carey and decided the show could end.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I was at the Hyde Park concert last night.
    I gotta say, for anyone who thinks the atmosphere was crap, the reason was, all the TV showed was the private VIP area, which was full of reporters and stuff. Further back, the crowd was more into it, even the songs from the other concerts on the screens.
    Some bands didn't get much of a response though , like Ms Dynamite (who I think was only there because, she's Black) and unfortunatly, Velvet Revolver, who were one of the acts, I most wanted to see.
    Mariah Carey got Booed, after she started being a Diva, and shouting at the stage hands, so she deserved it.
    As soon as the Who came on, the crowd were into it again for the rest of the show.
    Peter Kay Sucked. I don't know why he was there.

Hopefully they'll release it one DVD, like they did the last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

my favourite were CraigHEADSmainpage.JPG

but seriously tho, really not, he sucks balls.

Velvet Revolver were good, i also enjoyed the stereophonics and thought U2 and Paul McCartney was a very good way to start the show.

Anyone else think pete doherty is a total bollix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Blisterman wrote:
    Velvet Revolver, who were one of the acts, I most wanted to see.
    I saw them and thought WTF? At least we now know what happened to Slash.

They sucked, or maybe I'm just getting old. Mind you, the singer did say that he was 17 when Live Aid happened, which makes him 37, two years older than me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Have to say I was really impressed by yesterday even though I was cynical beforehand and thought it wouldn't live up to the hype.

Stayed up till around 4 am watching the full BBC broadcast. Even though I wouldn't be into a lot of the music, I thought most of the performances were great. It was also a great show and a great feat of organisation. It made the Live Aid event seem small and quaint and shambolic. Remember all the technical hitches and gaffes at Live Aid - power cuts, Simon Le Bon's squeak, Sting forgetting his lines, no sound for McCartney and Geldof, poor performances, poor sound etc.

Still I suppose it's not fair to compare the two, things have moved on a lot in 20 years and I'm sure the experience of setting up Live Aid really stood to Geldof and co. for organising Live 8.

I'd say there were a lot of DVD and video recorders in action yestersday :) Got the full BBC broadcast on 4 VHS tapes myself. Didn't see much of the RTE coverage but from what I saw it was patchy and not live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

.......However, I wouldn't expect the reformed Pink Floyd to tour any day soon - the body language of Gilmour and Waters was obvious with the two not even making eye-contact. It was good to see that Nick Mason can still actually play the drums and not depend on a live back-up drummer. It was also great to see Wright playing keyboards with them - his contribution has always been overlooked.
    It seemed like that to me too. When Waters said something about being so emotional to be on stage with his 3 old friends Gilmour did'nt even look over at him as far as I could see.
    Dave's guitar sound was pretty amazing though ... and I'd like to thank Pete Townsend for his efforts on behalf of middle-aged air-guitar-playing Dads everywhere.

I would'nt read too much into body language, the Floyd were never touchy feely with each other at any time. They are/were a working band not a bunch of school mates, for Waters to have got that emotional was a suprise for me.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭flangeman

I was there meself (2 heads from Ardee representing!!) :o)

Twas feckin great, Annie Lennox did a powerful slot and I was so surprised at The Who and Pink Floyd, I thought the crowd wouldn't have gotten into them but everybody was going mad. Snow Patrol played a blinder, the killers only did one song and the crowd really got into Bob doing his number (which wasn't a bad thing after all).

People were laughing at Mariah Carey alright though what a cow, Madge did well with the last slot and I was even impressed by the fresh prince and Jazzy jeff :)

The feeds from other countries was great on the day, old school Jovi, Roxy Music etc... very surprising how entertained they actually were.

But seeing a beatle, Paul McCartney was fantastic, I can't say I enjoyed Velvet Revolver but it was funny to see and hear Slash do a few words about the day.

I wondered about Mariah Carey, were they all new songs she did? instead of crowd pleasers? coz then she was just using the gig for publicity reasons.

The organization on the day was fantastic, all the big screens (although the 'delay' was a bit off putting, you would think they would improve the technology to reduce it, same at every big gig though), lots of food wagons and the crowd were well into it. I thought the non-drink thing was very important because they were lots of kids about and it was about the 'spirit and message' of the day.

Jez, I hated dido (for people who don't listen to music) and Joss Stone.

Feckin odd seeing Brad Pitt and Bill Gates on stage though, bit sureall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

i am just home from it now.man it rocks talking irish in london when people have no idea whats going on!!the gig was ****ing **** hot, really really moving at times and pure rock at others.it was brilliant.and all the ****e was genereally over early too.well just keane and razorlight.

flangeman wrote:
    The organization on the day was fantastic, all the big screens (although the 'delay' was a bit off putting, you would think they would improve the technology to reduce it, same at every big gig though),

Erm, i don't really see how they can come up with technology to break the laws of physics:D Light travels faster than sound ya know ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

oi flange i didnt know u were from ardee me too,what part,south central?haha

Interesting article on the egos involved here.

LundiMardi wrote:
    Erm, i don't really see how they can come up with technology to break the laws of physics:D Light travels faster than sound ya know ;)

LundiMardi you plinker, the images on the screen are a quarter second behind the actual amplified sound, so everybody looks like they are lipsyncing :) tut its because of latency and everything is now digital which adds a lag when broadcasted locally to the screens. But as tech gets better I'm sure it will improve but never be spot on.

Or am I wrong people??

oi flange i didnt know u were from ardee me too,what part,south central?haha

Born and bred my lad.

Now in the Prodie city of London, Originally from Cappocks Green then Cornmill and yourself?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

beside college park cappocks green??right beside ya,im in irish street,beside bar indigo,capital of muldoontown

You chaps are aware theres a London Beers on soon, check the events board out :)

• Advertisement

from mirror
    1 Pink Floyd - Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd - 1343%

2 The Who - Then and Now - 863%

3 Annie Lennox - Eurythmics Greatest Hits - 500%

4 Dido - Life For Rent - 412%

5 Razorlight - Up All Night - 335%

6 Robbie Williams - Greatest Hits - 320%

7 Joss Stone - Mind, Body and Soul - 309%

8 Sting - The Very Best of Sting & The Police - 300%

9 Travis - Singles - 268%

10 Madonna - Immaculate Collection - 200%

11 Scissor Sisters - Scissor Sisters - 174%

12 Mariah Carey - Greatest Hits - 170%

13 Snoop Dogg - Rhythm & Gangsta - 166%

14 The Killers - Hot Fuss - 131%

15 U2 - Best of: 1990-2000 - 116%

16 Elton John - Greatest Hits: 1970-2002 - 111%

17 Keane - Hopes and Fears - 101%

18 The Beatles - 1 - 71%

19 Snow Patrol - Final Straw - 69%

20 REM - Reveal - 50%

21 Stereophonics - Language Sex Violence Other? - 36%

22 Coldplay - X&Y - 3%

23 The Libertines - Up The Bracket - - (minus) 35%

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

mike65 wrote:
    from mirror

Mike.

Poor poor Pete Doherty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

relieved to see others appreciated pink floyd, 'wish you were here' and 'comfortably numb' sounded great and I think the floyd were pretty moved themselves - on a personal note I am still much impressed by their performance it could be an age thing :cool:

mike65 wrote:
    from mirror

Mike.
    Pink Floyd also said they're going to give all the profits from the album sales to charity. They don't want to make any money off Live 8. I wonder if any of the other acts will be doing that.

Advertisement