Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HEC SF: Clermont Auvergne vs Leinster; Sunday 29 April, KO 1600(CET); Live Sky Sports

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

14penalties conceded a piece. Record for wayne Barnes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Skid wrote: »
    Leinster and Ulster in the Heineken Cup Final, and Irish teams dominating the Pro 12 yet again.

This is the Golden Age of Irish Rugby, enjoy it while you can before the IRFU butcher the Provinces in the misguided belief that it will assist the Ireland team.

sound advice and wise words, we will be in for a fall at some point in the next few years

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

14penalties conceded a piece. Record for wayne Barnes

He didn't commit the fouls though did he?

Oooooh the Clermont fans were booing his decisions in the game and they're great guys so Barnes must be wrong......or maybe he was right for 90%, a % percentage every ref should be aiming for, of the calls but hey it's Wayne Barnes so lets get a dig in.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭redmca2

Gerry Thornley wrote this week very negatively about Barnes but today he did us a lot of favours.
    Cullen is a lucky man (so far). Wouldn't be surprised if he's cited. Stupid of him to hit out so openly.
    In the final minute, it would be normal after the 2nd penalty on the line to sin bin someone from Leinster, but he didn't.
    The Clermont fans must be very sore at some of his decisions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

OK, back to the rugby so:

Kearney; excellent, didn't get a chance to claim any high balls but otherwise excellent. Carried into contact a couple of times when he should have passed, conceded a penalty on one such occasion but probably the best player on the park.
    Nacewa; started brilliantly, got so little ball in the second half that he faded out completely but did what he had to.
    O'Driscoll; brilliant in defence, not many opportunities in attack
    D'Arcy; ran down a couple of blind alleys when in possession and got turned over, not his best day.
    Fitzgerald; missed a couple of tackles, needed to come infield more, pretty anonymous.
    Sexton; excellent, broke out of defence a few times and probed the corners when he needed to.
    Boss; did what he needed to, kept it tight, but the change in tempo when Reddan came on was very clear.
    Healy; immense
    Strauss; mixed excellent work in the loose with a couple of dodgy throws, plenty to work on.
    Ross; will have been glad to see Faure going off, but he held up well enough and he even carried with good effect a few times.
    Cullen; thought he was excellent, always seemed to be in the right position to tackle or sweep up, but was he used as a target in the lineout at all?
    Thorn; did was he was brought in to do, hit the rucks, tackled well, good job.
    O'Brien; he stole the ball under the posts after 81 minutes. Anything else was a bonus, and there were plenty of bonuses.
    Jennings; not sure he justified his selection tbh
    Heaslip; the best backrower on the pitch IMO, he was everywhere.

Subs: VDM kept it solid, McLaughlin tackled his heart out but the real star of the bench was Reddan, the speed he brought to the game was a real fillip for Leinster. However, he should be made to watch that attempted drop goal many, many times over the next few weeks in a Clockwork Orange style aversion therapy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Lads we had a bit of luck here and there, but that's the type of game it was. I always say that luck evens out over the season, and I felt we had a few unlucky games, like Ospreys at home, that we were due some. Thems the breaks.

I think we were lucky with some calls, I think both teams got away with a lot, I also think the TMO peno was over, but on balance, we completely dominated the second half, built a lead with 10 unanswered points and pinned them back in their half and on that basis i think we definitely deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

Hines is a class player - IRFU should never have let him go.

He was instrumental in closing down on Leinster.... I don't remember him seeming exhausted or injured or anything worthy of subbing him off, unless Clermont had decided to 'save' him for the final. Biggest mistake of their season, if you ask me.

The rake of substitutions made by Clermont seemed to weaken them something awful.

Leinster didn't walk it like we've walked so many other matches this year... it certainly was nerve wracking, and I like the fact Barnes was fairly balanced in how he approached infringements. (I'm guessing they were told - or he decided to - not to card players unless absolutely 100% necessary, because both sides would have lost more than one player to the sin bin).

IRFU is doing its best to ruin the provinces - so we should enjoy this golden age of rugby. Whatever happens in the final, an Irish team will have won and Connacht will get another shot at the big leagues next year. Yay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

What a performance by both sides. Thought we were lucky not to have someone binned in the 2nd half for a number of reasons - CA on top and we were creaking and niggly at the breakdown, French location & partisan crowd, and Wayne Barnes. Some incredible last ditch tackles on our own line in those last few minutes. Cullen took a nut to the head from their #20 and never flinched, just got on with his job of keeping them out. Incredible stuff from the whole squad. What a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

redmca2 wrote: »
    Gerry Thornley wrote this week very negatively about Barnes but today he did us a lot of favours.
    Cullen is a lucky man (so far). Wouldn't be surprised if he's cited. Stupid of him to hit out so openly.
    In the final minute, it would be normal after the 2nd penalty on the line to sin bin someone from Leinster, but he didn't.
    The Clermont fans must be very sore at some of his decisions

Did I miss this? Tell me you're not talking about that incident in the first half with the Clermont prop???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭badbeatcentral

What a game. Leinster's maturity shone through. I don't think last year's HC team would of ground out that result. Sexton showed immense game management.

Also fair play to the fans over there, even on the TV coverage you could hear them over the din for large parts of the match.

MADIGAN IS GODIGAN

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Has anyone tried to book match tickets yet? Keeps saying tcikets not available and then divert you to a site called "GET ME IN" who are charging fortunes for tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried to book match tickets yet? Keeps saying tcikets not available and then divert you to a site called "GET ME IN" who are charging fortunes for tickets

Is it not sold out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Healy always represents value for a small bet

Usually around 40/1

Nice call! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Well done Leinster - yet another heroic performance. Just as much as 'luck' plays a part in being the best team in Europe, there will always be people who are bitter and jealous. I ignore them. That's what we should all do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

Leo Cullen shouldn't be cited, when I seen the reaction of the Clermont player, he should have hit him harder and STILL not be cited. In the words of Nigel Owens "this is not soccer".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Highlights on TG4 now.

If Cullen is sited then so is any player who engages in handbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

I cant see Cullen getting cited. Ref seen it and called it a penalty, could have been a yellow but definitely not a red. No different than Terblanch yesterday. Threw a dig, didnt exactly knock any teeth out, was spotted and pinged at the time. End of of it as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

Sean O Brien was back to his best today. He's playing like a World Class 7 these days, and his steal at the end was incredible. I can't see him playing opposite Ferris for the final. I'd start K McLaughlin. Jennings was poor today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Ye're so lucky to have 2 top class scrum halves in Leinster. Boss played very very well today and was a nightmare around the fringes. To be able to bring on Reddan who seemed to speed things up just a little bit is a luxury that very few teams have.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

Conas wrote: »
    Leo Cullen shouldn't be cited, when I seen the reaction of the Clermont player, he should have hit him harder and STILL not be cited. In the words of Nigel Owens "this is not soccer".

He was correct.
    But it shouldn't have been boxing either!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Only thinking now how well Ulster have done to get here. At the time of the draw they seemed to have an impossible group. They were possibly unlucky not to win that group, then winning in Thomond. They deserve immense credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,361 ✭✭✭✭phog

Great win and great defence especially in the 2nd half, I didn't think it would come down to the wire though especially after Leinster getting the try and dg, thought they were home and hosed.

Great to see an an All Irish final, Sky will love it for their build up and tickets will be like hens teeth which will suit the touts :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

phog wrote: »
    Great win and great defence especially in the 2nd half, I didn't think it would come down to the wire though especially after Leinster getting the try and dg, thought they were home and hosed.

Great to see an an All Irish final, Sky will love it for their build up and tickets will be like hens teeth which will suit the touts :mad:

Went to buy one this morning then an uncle texts from Cornwall...don't buy yet and sure we'll all go together....yeah they're sold out now:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,361 ✭✭✭✭phog

To all the people who are talking up Clermont making out they are some sort of world beaters-they only beat Ulster in a game they had to win but Ulster didnt, at home, 19-15. Today Clermont will be playing the best team in Europe. Leinster will win this match I am sure of it.

Is that why you waited until now to try and buy tickets :)....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I cannot wait for Ferris and SOB to meet full blooded, something tells me Twickenham wont be big enough for the both of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

SOB had another great break today

And carried very effectively in the first half aswell as getting through a mammoth amount of work in the second half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Adrenaline still pumping. Classic game. Brilliant result. Tickets already in hand for the final!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

A fantastic win for Leinster but good god, I needed CPR after that nail biting finish.

Leinster nearly handed it away in the final few minutes and I honestly thought it was all over when Clermont started celebrating.

See you all in Twickenham ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

That was probably a bit of an ugly performance and Clermont can feel aggrieved at many decisions but we got a bit of luck when we needed it and we ground out the win like the great teams can.

I felt our defence wasn't as good as it usually is today for large parts of the game. I felt many times our first tackler failed. It's something to work on for the final. Although we were immense in the last few minutes.

Also felt we weren't as creative as normal, although Clermonts defence was pretty good so was always going to be hard to be our normal selves.

Onwards and upwards. I want 3 cups to our name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

phog wrote: »
    Is that why you waited until now to try and buy tickets :)....

No was trying to get more...I already had mine...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

shuffol wrote: »
    I cannot wait for Ferris and SOB to meet full blooded, something tells me Twickenham wont be big enough for the both of them.
    I wouldn't be so sure about Ferris tbh.

He wasn't at his best yesterday or in the QF against Munster. He looks like he's playing on one leg. He'll definitely start the final but I'm sure he's not at 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Explain something please.

Couple of posters here said Darce had 'not one of his better days' but the tackle count shows him at 14/0 compared to BOD 6/0.

is the tackle count just a reflection that they were targeting Darce. Even if so, doesn't he deserve huge credit for putting in so many tackles and missing none.

I mean either

A: he went out and tackled his arse off

or

B: they saw him as a weak link but he fronted up and didn't miss a man in the whole game despite them throwing guys down his channel all match long.

Either way, fair play Darce, no??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I would have liked to see the Sexton miss from the camera behind where he kicked, the French controller only showed 2 angles, ye it's a mute point but I reckon if we could see the kick from behind Sexton it would have been inside the post

gosplan wrote: »
    Explain something please.

Couple of posters here said Darce had 'not one of his better days' but the tackle count shows him at 14/0 compared to BOD 6/0.

is the tackle count just a reflection that they were targeting Darce. Even if so, doesn't he deserve huge credit for putting in so many tackles and missing none.

I mean either

A: he went out and tackled his arse off

or

B: they saw him as a weak link but he fronted up and didn't miss a man in the whole game despite them throwing guys down his channel all match long.

More often than not a 12 will have to tackle a lot more than a 13

Darcy was solid if not spectacular today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Darce was very good without being spectacular. He gets through large amounts of work defensively, not only in terms of tackling but he rucks as hard as many flankers. He was the one who took down Fofana on the charge that forced the difficult grounding and knock on. That was a superb tackle. It's with good reason that he isn't taken off in these types of game when it's a real scrap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

well done leinster - missed the match , so had to watch it on TG4 replay , couldn't understand a word , but funnily eneogh the Ads were all crystal clear - **** sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

What a match! Jesus! ok Leinster only played like they can played for 10 mins at the start of both halves, but what an incredible defensive effort against great french champions. Barnes helped us out (no yellows>?? seriously? given 14 pens a piece?) Darcy was an extra 6, BOD, Kearney, Nacewa all played like back row forwards actually. Scrum somehow stuck it out, looked ominous at times, but well well deserved!

All Ireland Final in Twickenham!

fack yar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

great match well done Leinster, guess ye are going to be putting an extra star on that jersey

from a bitter Munster fan :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

One thing tho, WHAT WAS SOB DOING TRYING A CHIP!!!!

MAORI STEP THE SCRUM HLAF NEXT TIME YOU DO THAT SEANIE!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Fofanna lost that game for Clermont. What was he at trying to do some fancy backwards one handed touchdown...still only fingertips from a try though. So yeah..go leinster..lucky to be in the final.

John.Icy wrote: »
    Fofanna lost that game for Clermont. What was he at trying to do some fancy backwards one handed touchdown...still only fingertips from a try though. So yeah..go leinster..lucky to be in the final.

He just lost control trying to get it down behind his back

No show boating involved

Leinster deserved to win too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    down behind his back

If you had heard that on the radio, you'd be wondering what on earth he was up to.

Ball hit off his upper arm too which knocked it from his control....if thats not lucky for Leinster....oh well....someone call Oxford and get that definition changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Clermont fans on their forum surprisingly acceptant of the loss. Obviously annoyance with Barnes, but not on the scale I thought (reading through Google Translate that is). They talk about Leinster being a class apart and still a notch above ASM, and bemoan Fofana's missed try and other handling errors. Also saying they should be proud of their team for pushing a team like Leinster so close.

Still many of them annoyed with Barnes though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

John.Icy wrote: »
    Or perhaps the D'arcy tackle on Fofana won the game for Leinster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

The images of their fans cheering wildly for their team after the final whistle is one of the reasons I love rugby so much. Their an absolute credit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

shuffol wrote: »
    The images of their fans cheering wildly for their team after the final whistle is one of the reasons I love rugby so much. Their an absolute credit.

I remember feeling slightly ashamed a couple of years back when a small pocket of them more or less drowned out the rest of the rds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

gosplan wrote: »

the level of ability for the average armchair rugby fan to recognise off-the-ball or "unseen" work is shockingly low

d'arcy and o'driscoll both put in phenomenal defensive work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Some of the barely concealed bitterness here is saddening. Fofana lost it forward, I dont see any "luck" in that. Luck is something 50/50 that goes your way or doesnt. A collapsed scrum, the bounce of a ball, the change of wind direction that can cause a kick to go wide etc. not an error by a player. If we're REALLY talking luck then Leinster were very unlucky not to win it by even more considering Nacewas kick in the first half could have bounced the other way leading to a try or the wind could have died down and not changed the shape of Johnnys "missed" kick or the TMO could have decided otherwise. Cop on to yourselves and stop nit picking over a superb performance by both teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭OldRio

It never ceases to amaze. Just when you think you have seen it all.
    Tension, fecking tension ???
    What a physical battle. How those players put their bodys through that I just do not know.
    The begrudging by some (the usual suspects) is sad but inevitable.
    Great weekend for Irish Sport.
    Great weekend for Irish Rugby.
    IRFU wake up and start to ask questions. Tis your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kennedmc

chupacabra wrote: »
    Some of the barely concealed bitterness here is saddening. Fofana lost it forward, I dont see any "luck" in that. Luck is something 50/50 that goes your way or doesnt. A collapsed scrum, the bounce of a ball, the change of wind direction that can cause a kick to go wide etc. not an error by a player. If we're REALLY talking luck then Leinster were very unlucky not to win it by even more considering Nacewas kick in the first half could have bounced the other way leading to a try or the wind could have died down and not changed the shape of Johnnys "missed" kick or the TMO could have decided otherwise. Cop on to yourselves and stop nit picking over a superb performance by both teams.

Not to mention Kearney not giving the ball wide when there was a man free in the 2nd half

• Advertisement
Advertisement