Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Spain Vs. Russia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Go on the Russians!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

3-1, very easy for Russia from a corner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Villa will not start
    DesF wrote: »
    Spain to win, by a couple of goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Villa will not start
    Bang goes the clean sheet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Only fitting really seeing as he was such a class act himself....

Remember that if you ever feel the need to comment negativly on anything a professional footballer does.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Am I correct in thinking this is the first time in this competition both teams have scored?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Contender for most stupid comment of the tounament so far

(Stephen Alkin referring to Puyol clearing the ball) "anywhere will do" - eh hello? They're 3 nil up? Also loved Kenny criticising the Russian defender for Villa's third. Only fitting really seeing as he was such a class act himself....

He was a good defender, and as a commentator he is payed to comment on errors made.....

????

I think he meant don't ever call a professional footballer shít or anything similar. After all they are good enough to be professionals.

Something i totally agree with

Damn it, finish it!

Quality from Spain 4-1

4-1

Good break, cheeky Villa :D

Fabregas got the goal

David Villa 4-1 Russia.

(I'm aware Fabregas scored. My point still stands... :p )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

4-1 1st goal for fabregas for spain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Villa will not start
    How shocking has Ramos been today?

If the Spanish are going to win the tournament I could see it being a case of them having to score lots of goals, especially when you think that Arashavin was missing for the Russians today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Outragous...he was off. Unlucky Igor.

Melion wrote: »
    I think he meant don't ever call a professional footballer shít or anything similar. After all they are good enough to be professionals.

Something i totally agree with

Ah right, ol brain is need of some coffee here, think the sun is getting to me :D was never a huge Kenny fan myself but each to their own and all that

Villa will not start
    Cesc on for Torres was an absolutely genius substitution by the Spain manager.:)

Two goals with Torres on, two with him off, and his replacement scores one of them.

Anyone else notice that the ref wouldnt give Villa the ball?

Obviously RTE did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

good result for spain, should easily win the group unless they self implode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Villa will not start
    Assist for Xavi. Did well to get his head over the ball for the volley. MOM easily :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

England must be raging that they were beaten by such a poor team.

They've some squad alrite. Jammy Mr Alan must be laughing, he drew them didn't he?

Villa will not start
    DesF Cesc on for Torres was an absolutely genius substitution by the Spain manager.:)

I think you know Des it wasnt- hence the smillie

When Torres on Spain 2-0
    When Torres off Spain 2-1

Also Fabregas was clearly offside and Russia had some great chances to score more when Torres went off.

I think it was a tactical error in the sense that 4-4-2 worked a lot better than 4-5-1 for them.

In other dispatches

"I think there is a certain melancoly in the Russian character, just like the Welsh, but we won't go into that" Dunphy

Reminds me of "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Spain to win by 2 + goals
    Spain just had to use this terrible defence of Russia,totally deserved,with this school boys defence Russia will get 2-3 golas from Sweden and Greece too,disaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Spain won't win it though, too many poor defenders and against better sides they won't let so many chances going forwards.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Spain to win by a goal
    dunno what to make of this victory in terms of the rest of the Tournament. Spain certainly started the tournament a lot brighter than i expected, but i don't think 4-1 was a fair reflection of how the game went. certainly Russia had more than enough chances to equal Spain's goal tally, had they better strikers on the field. Ramos was horrible today, shouldn't be near the starting lineup for the next match, anytime Zhirkov came near him he went by Ramos as if Ramos wasn't their. Capdevilla wasn't much better on the right either... and at times too Spain really struggled to hold onto possession, even though the gulf in class in the midfield of the two sides was obvious.

very surprised at Hiddink too, he got his tactics all wrong, the defensive line was much too high up the pitch, which allowed Torres and Villa so much space in the first half. they really pressed a bit too much. he just seemed to give up to after the second goal went in, even though Spain's vulnerabilities were obvious. strange game in the end... not at all what i would have expected from either side tbh.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I think you know Des it wasnt- hence the smillie

When Torres on Spain 2-0
    When Torres off Spain 2-1

Also Fabregas was clearly offside and Russia had some great chances to score more when Torres went off.

I think it was a tactical error in the sense that 4-4-2 worked a lot better than 4-5-1 for them.
    Spain were 3-0 up when Russia scored. Fabregas got the assist for the 3rd goal and scored the 4th. Not a bad sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Russia to win by a goak
    Great win for Spain. Great game to watch. Spain should have no bother getting out of the group.

Stupid RTE panel again though. Couldn't go a match without mentioning what a pity it is Torres gets rotated so much at Liverpool. STFU!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Sergio Ramos is Paul McShane on steriods :D:D:D

mike65 wrote: »
    Spain won't win it though, too many poor defenders and against better sides they won't let so many chances going forwards.

Mike.

Yeah, I could see them getting beaten if they come up against Germany or Holland. They should win against Sweden and Greece though.

Villa will not start
    Reganio 2
    Sergio Ramos is Paul McShane on steriods

Funny but ouch for McShane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Arashavin would of ran rings around Ramos, think it would of been a different scoreline if him and Progreback were playing.

This is a hard to call group, cant write the Russians off yet, still fancy them to beat the Swedes and Greece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,977 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Villa will not start
    Posting on Boards from the match.

The ultimate in nerdiness. :pac:

I know! was thinking that as i was posting alright. Era, it was halftime, I was on my own, and the russians beside me didn't look too up for the chat!

Great game to be at though, fantastic atmosphere, very focal fans (those russians seriously make a noise!) and great attacking football. Was just blown away by Villa and Torres. Think Senna has cemented his position in the team as well, spent the whole game running around filling holes as the fullbacks would sprint away.

Here's a few pics anyway;
    Unreal view outside!
    P1010110.jpg?t=1213132393

Buildup to Villa's second
    P1010116.jpg?t=1213132596

Villa about to strike
    P1010117.jpg?t=1213132653

Fans
    P1010119.jpg?t=1213132687

Another chance
    P1010113.jpg?t=1213132793

Russian celebrations
    10062008006.jpg?t=1213132816

The End!
    10062008013-1.jpg?t=1213132860

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Well done mate

Happy ending there.

Wow, its almost like you were there! :D

Naturally we're now expecting more of this sort of thing.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Russia to win by a goak
    Absolute quality photos Rebel!! Can i ask why you're up a mountain in Austria? You're there a few months, aren't you? Have to say, the weather looks terrible there, that didn't come across on the tv. How did Torres do after all????

He's there cos he saw the chance to watch Spain at Euro 2008!

Mike.

Villa will not start
    Great pictures mate :)

Especially the last one, that has been sadly lacking from the TV coverage.

Russia to win by a goak
    mike65 wrote: »
    He's there cos he saw the chance to watch Spain at Euro 2008!

Mike.

Makes sense to me

There was a glimpse in the second game.

Russia to win by a goak

Catch the highlights of the Swedish match, Des. Some great crowd shots!!

Villa will not start
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Catch the highlights of the Swedish match, Des. Some great crowd shots!!

Will do, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,977 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Villa will not start
    cheers lads, the Spaniards were, erm, 'talented' alright! Serious amount of talent to be sure. Russians not to be scoffed at either!

Weather was awful alright today, the stadium was reasonably well sheltered so didn't seem to affect the game much.Torres and Villa's movement in relation to each other was fantastic, both made plenty of space for each other with dummy runs. The Russians were simply chasing shadows at times.

Mike's not far off with his reasoning of me being here! I finished up my contract with work and had a nice bit saved so decided was gonna go live in a mountain somewhere and do little besides snowboarding and drinking for a few months. The bird said she'd come along too. I looked into a few potential glaciers (longest ski season's) and narrowed it down to 4, but when i found that Innsbruck was a host city, and that the Spanish team were staying in this valley it became a no brainer. Almost broke now though, and the bird has gone home again for work (shes a nurse so with the job troubles they're having she pretty much had to accept their offer to go back to the ward), ill probably be out here till end of June, then back to the ghey real world :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Russia to win by a goak
    Really enjoyed the Spain/Russia game. Villa was brilliant. I liked Pavlyuchenko for Russia too.

Russia to win by a goak
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    cheers lads, the Spaniards were, erm, 'talented' alright! Serious amount of talent to be sure. Russians not to be scoffed at either!

Weather was awful alright today, the stadium was reasonably well sheltered so didn't seem to affect the game much.Torres and Villa's movement in relation to each other was fantastic, both made plenty of space for each other with dummy runs. The Russians were simply chasing shadows at times.

Mike's not far off with his reasoning of me being here! I finished up my contract with work and had a nice bit saved so decided was gonna go live in a mountain somewhere and do little besides snowboarding and drinking for a few months. The bird said she'd come along too. I looked into a few potential glaciers (longest ski season's) and narrowed it down to 4, but when i found that Innsbruck was a host city, and that the Spanish team were staying in this valley it became a no brainer. Almost broke now though, and the bird has gone home again for work (shes a nurse so with the job troubles they're having she pretty much had to accept their offer to go back to the ward), ill probably be out here till end of June, then back to the ghey real world :(

Fair fvcks to you, as they say!! So Torres and Villa link up well?? Dare i dream??l

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Villa will not start
    They played great as a team, which many people say is spains biggest problem getting all the spanish regions to bond, now that they seem to have done it, do u think they will beat the dutch or the germans???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Villa will not start
    yeah i think they'll wil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Well played by Spain. I thought the Russians played some neat and tidy football but were undone by some errors at the back. Hopefully they can recover and do a job on the Greeks on Saturday.

I'm sure Villa's goals have added a few euro to his price tag :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Fair play to you dude. Live the dream....and dont come home til your proper broke!