Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you change a wheel??

Options
1235»

Comments

3 cars?? 2 girlfriends!!
    or two six wheeled cars. :pac:

Yeah - the former - three cars. And some cars really are harder to change the tyres on than others. Especially the manufacturers that have their own proprietry key system without which you can not remove the wheel. It can be incredibly frustrating when such keys go missing. But you change 12 wheels twice a year and you get pretty adept at it in the end. It does not require half the time I actually put into it - most of which is nursing a beer while I work and having a relax.
    Mr Keek wrote: »
    he gave her a bit of a telling off for wasting his time when he has people in need of actual assistance waiting.

I have had the unfortunate wait myself. I bought by BMW from a year that - I learned later - has a design fault where the turbo basically invariably dies. So my car died at one point down the country and I was waiting for quite some time for a rescue. (Thankfully being a known flaw in that year and model all the relevant parts got replaced for free).

The guy who came out did say that he spends most of his time changing either tyres or light bulbs and that if people had a basic ability to do these things themselves his response time to everyone else would likely improve dramatically.

Apperently not only do people not know how to change their bulbs if they go - they would not even know how to select a replacement were they to walk to the nearest garage to do so.

He even told me of a few cases where he was called out to do an oil change. The bottle of oil was IN the car on some occasions. So he arrives - opens the bottle - pours it in - and leaves. That is his entire call out.

I am with those that suggest that a basic proficiency in car maintenance should be part of the driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Yes, I can. But... with modern radial tyres being as strong as they are, actual down-on-the-rim punctures are rarer than they were in Elder Days. I carry a can of Holts Tyre Weld, to get me home/to a garage in the (unlikely in my experience) event of such an occurrence. Tangentially, the miserable yokes manufacturers provide nowadays for undoing wheel-studs are pathetic. The traditional wheelbrace was bad enough, but these things - bleh! I carry a Bahco socket set in the boot, and I have a decent trolley-jack at home. In short, struggling with a weedy scissor-jack under a two-ton car at the side of the road in the piss-wet is something I diligently avoid! :D

Advertisement