Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Living in Perth & Thinking of Heading Home

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

lg123 wrote: »
    thanks for the follow up. how about income tax, someone was telling me its increased significantly??

Haven't been paid yet, monthly salary and not due for few weeks, will let you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I paid a lot more in income tax in the UK than in Ireland but I was much happier to be passing them the money than to the shower of wasters in the Dail.

Consumption taxes are higher in Ireland though, that's where you might feel it more but your lifestyle choices can negate that to a certain extent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

I paid a lot more in income tax in the UK than in Ireland but I was much happier to be passing them the money than to the shower of wasters in the Dail.

Consumption taxes are higher in Ireland though, that's where you might feel it more but your lifestyle choices can negate that to a certain extent
    yes, its a different kinda approach. Britain is higher income tax and low VAT, Ireland used to be the opposite - don't now how things are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

Just an update on my situation guy, on temporary lay-off from work at the moment a week after I signed a 12 month lease. Things are looking fairly bleak on the work side of things. Just trying to sort out my notice period at the moment and get the job hunt rolling again

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

Just an update on my situation guy, on temporary lay-off from work at the moment a week after I signed a 12 month lease. Things are looking fairly bleak on the work side of things. Just trying to sort out my notice period at the moment and get the job hunt rolling again

I know its a bit late in the day but just an update for anyone who is interested.
    Finish up working with my company and landed a job with a Tier 1 mining company. So far looks like things going quite with my previous employer could be a blessing starting the FIFO roster in a few weeks so should be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Timistry

Bump!

How do people adjust to drops in income when they go home? Tax seems to gobble up any decent income earned.

I have never earned what would be considered to be 'great' money in Australia. But at the end of every week I had money left over to do as I please with. While things here are very expensive, I feel that the cost of living is probably cheaper than Ireland given the amount of disposable income available and the very progressive tax system.

The above is making me very apprehensive about going home as one has to afford to have some sort of quality of life.

Would probably be on 35K if I got a job back home, not sure that would cut it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Timistry wrote: »
    Bump!

How do people adjust to drops in income when they go home? Tax seems to gobble up any decent income earned.

I have never earned what would be considered to be 'great' money in Australia. But at the end of every week I had money left over to do as I please with. While things here are very expensive, I feel that the cost of living is probably cheaper than Ireland given the amount of disposable income available and the very progressive tax system.

The above is making me very apprehensive about going home as one has to afford to have some sort of quality of life.

Would probably be on 35K if I got a job back home, not sure that would cut it...

You could get by on it alright. Depends...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Timistry wrote: »
    Bump!

I think you may be needlessly worried.

Country-to-country tax comparisons are difficult because tax systems are different around the margins (how they treat married vs single status, for example) and when you include social security it becomes more difficult (because social security contributions in one country may carry benefits that are not provided in another). But if you plug a €35,000 salary for a single person into the PWC Ireland tax calculator you get a combined tax/PRSI/USC/etc rate of 21%. If you plug the AUD equivalent into a comparable Australian site you get a rate of 19%. Lower, but not massively lower - it works out at about €13.50 a week difference.

This is likely to be eclipsed, one way or the other, by differential rates of pay for the job you do (you may be earning more or less than €35,000 in your Australian job) or differences in your circumstances (you might have more favourable tax treatment in Ireland if you are married, or have a mortgage) or by differences in the cost of living between Ireland and Australia.

Advertisement