Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3b - Physical Competence Test

Options
  • 07-05-2008 7:47pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Wondering what the PCT is like? This link will give you a good idea. Post your questions or comments on the PCT on this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

The PCT comprises of a circuit course (available to see on www.garda.ie) and the push-pull machine and both are held in a small sports hall in Templemore College :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Do they provide a changing room and stuff?

How long does it all generally last? (including hanging about)

Is the whole smart dress / suit lark required ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

random wrote: »
    Do they provide a changing room and stuff?

Yes, you can even take a shower if you want, but no one does really.
    How long does it all generally last? (including hanging about)

Mine was about an hour - but I was a second one to go out of 11 people. They picked up us a bit late, then there was changing and filling out few forms, and then the course. Once you do it, you can go, you don't have to wait for the others.

Is the whole smart dress / suit lark required ?

No. When we were waiting at the reception with my group, thy were all wearing tracksuits, I had my jeans on. I was bit worried, thinking that maybe I was supposed to change beforehand, but no, they all changed into different tracksuits later.
    So basically wear whatever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

The worst thing about the PCT is that the hall it takes part in has 2 of the walls made of glass with no air conditioning.
    This basically means that by the end of the course your lungs can feel like they're about to explode. Drink plenty of fluids before you go in, we were told not to bring drinks into the hall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Lads what kind of training is everyone doing for the PCT?

High intensity stuff or more Endurance based???

What kind of pace would you want to be running around the course?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

srdb20 wrote: »
    Lads what kind of training is everyone doing for the PCT?

High intensity stuff or more Endurance based???

What kind of pace would you want to be running around the course?

Cheers

Circuit Training is optimal imo.

As for a pace - you don't want to be going to fast. 3.20 is enough time to do it, and you don't want to be wrecked after one lap. rather than the speed, i would reccomend focusing more on negotiating the obstacles correctly, so you won't have to repeat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Cheers ojewriej, for the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

the course is actually a fair bit shorter than shown on the garda site video.

the time is easily obtainable, i had 52 seconds to spare when i finished my third lap.

If you have any sort of fitness it wont be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭blue2b

is der any other tests this pct day ie -blood ...urine etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

blue2b wrote: »
    is der any other tests this pct day ie -blood ...urine etc

nope..they do your height and weight all right but this is done at the medical to anyway

• Advertisement

jasus this section is slow!!!are there no pct s on at the minute. mine is 24 june. has anyone got ders any earlier. or do yis know when do they start

fair few meds and mostly appy tests going on atm mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

Anybody got any tips for the Push/Pull? I hear alot about technique. Pity there isn't a devise similar in any gym. I'm a 5ft 3" female and am working out as much as I can but am very uncertain about this.

you get a practice go before your actual 'logged' go.

Mainly its just about your stance i found, watch the video on the garda site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭cpstears

blue2b wrote: »
    jasus this section is slow!!!are there no pct s on at the minute. mine is 24 june. has anyone got ders any earlier. or do yis know when do they start

Ditto, 24th for me too. See you down there

cpstears wrote: »
    Ditto, 24th for me too. See you down there

I've pulled a shoulder muscle and mines on the 25th aaaaaahhhhhh!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Can anyone tell me what type of distance you run on the PCT? What would a comparable road run be and in what time?

X miles in X mins?

I know conditions are different ie indoor, hot, flat etc. I am not worried about the strength / drag / push n pull etc and more the endurance.

Still waiting for the medical but just want to know what target should be.

the dummy you drag is around 45-50kg.

the distance u run id say is 250-300m for the 3 laps.

Probably much less...

250 - 300 per lap? Sounds very short for the whole thing.

Concentration should me more on 300 metre runs and some upper body work so?

What is the big deal with the pct then - is it just the push and pull that catches people out. I hope that did not sound cocky!

its a short course, it looks along longer than it is on the video on the garda site.

Any sort of upper body str and push pull is a joke, same with any mediocre level of fitness and the course will pose you no problems.

Making mistakes on the course ie. touching the cone's and knocking the beam off is were you mess up the course part. While on the push n pull machine not getting the beeps causes you to fail it also if you fail to get the required standard :P. 3 beeps and your gone if i remember right.

• Advertisement

Do you get time added like the horse jumping or do you just fail if you knock a cone or barrier etc?

you have to do the obstacle again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Ladyt

Any one that is doing their physical and medical at mo how long ago was your interview i did my interview in April and havent heard anything yet about my medical or physical... could anyone please inform me how long they were waiting to be called?? thanks...:confused:

done interview april first .had med end of may i think. pct in two wks. hope this helps ya

thank you for the info im just worried why im not getting called and afraid to ring hq case they think im a paranoid freak lol take it ur in August, if so congrats

thank you for the info im just worried why im not getting called and afraid to ring hq case they think im a paranoid freak lol take it ur in August, if so congrats:)

Ladyt wrote: »
    thank you for the info im just worried why im not getting called and afraid to ring hq case they think im a paranoid freak lol take it ur in August, if so congrats:)

Hey, I had my interview mid April & had my medical there last week. I was told they wait for the background check to reach a certain stage and then they call you but if it's taking to long they may just call a candidate anyway in order to avoid delay. There is no point worrying and if a phone call puts your mind at ease ring HQ they've been very nice and patient anytime I've rang.

Good luck & hope you get called soon.

Hey thanks for the feedback hope your physical goes well for you and how did you find the medical???Are you doing much training for the physical??

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cathalfeely

Ladyt wrote: »
    Any one that is doing their physical and medical at mo how long ago was your interview i did my interview in April and havent heard anything yet about my medical or physical... could anyone please inform me how long they were waiting to be called?? thanks...:confused:

hey done my interview at the end of april and am still waiting on the result of the interview, (im from the north and waiting on results to be recognised), wish they would hurry up haha

• Advertisement

long as you dont have to wait as long as i did you'll be grand :p

13 weeks give or take a day was horrible..

Advertisement