Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Airport - Terminal 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭eia340600

A staged opening is good for passengers but murder on retailers.

Well the rent they pay is a percentage of the money they make, so they shouldn't be losing out too badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 KL892

89f9923c.png

Two photos from another forum

6635f5af.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

they have to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 KL892

I agree - must have been taken today.

I also found these photos just now...

dublin_t2_gallery_01.jpg

dublin_t2_gallery_03.jpg

dublin_t2_gallery_04.jpg

dublin_t2_gallery_05.jpg

dublin_t2_gallery_08.jpg

dublin_t2_opening_10.jpg

More Here: http://www.moodiereport.com/document.php?c_id=1113&doc_id=25870

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

KL892 wrote: »

Two photos from another forum

6635f5af.png

Looks to me like they made absolutely no effort to grit/salt/clear any of the snow and ice, instead letting the passing cars do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Looks to me like they made absolutely no effort to grit/salt/clear any of the snow and ice, instead letting the passing cars do it.

I left T1 at 22.00 last night and they had the departures road,approach roads and paths gritted. You'd never have thought it this morning but they definitely were gritted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

lord lucan wrote: »
    I left T1 at 22.00 last night and they had the departures road,approach roads and paths gritted. You'd never have thought it this morning but they definitely were gritted.
    Yep, when I left t1 yesterday all the paths and roads were very well gritted and swept, they don't seem to have kept up with it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭saeglopur

MICKEYG wrote: »
    I agree so why are they not doing it. All they are doing is testing that the planes can dock at the new pier, the air bridges work and that people can walk along the pier. Other than that they are using the T1 facilities (am assuming baggage is taken off the plane and put into the T1 system directly). They have yet to use check in, baggage movement from check in to plane and from plane to carousel in T2. At some stage they need to do this. I would have thought it would have been done by now witha few flighst and then ramp it up if thinsg go well.

Ive heard that ei arent happy with the baggage system yet so it is still in the testing phase. Unlike elements of boarding you cant really test the baggage system with 'live' bags but behind the scenes trials are ongoing. Remember due to the full CBP requirements in T2 the baggage system is alot more complicated than a normal baggage belt system.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Guys, I'm confused. I flew with AL from Brussels to Dublin on Saturday but we landed at Terminal 1. What's that about? One of the main reasons I booked with AL was so that I wouldn't have to use their shtty T1 anymore.

• Advertisement

spacetweek wrote: »
    Guys, I'm confused. I flew with AL from Brussels to Dublin on Saturday but we landed at Terminal 1. What's that about? One of the main reasons I booked with AL was so that I wouldn't have to use their shtty T1 anymore.

EI are only gradually ramping up their operations at T2. It'll be the new year before all their operations start the move to T2 fulltime.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Jayuu

I've just checked Dublin Airport's live information and according to it the only arrivals and departures in Terminal 2 are the Etihad flights.

I can't believe this is the case so I'm wondering is it a case of flights arriving and departing in Terminal 2 but that you have to transfer to or from Terminal 1 first. While I have posted in favour of a staggered ramp-up this would seem to be an incredibly slow process.

Has anybody here actually been on a flight (other than Etihad) that has arrived at or departed from Terminal 2?

There were people checking in in T2 yesterday for EI flights. 3 flights were due out,to Bucharest,Madrid & Munich. Decision was only made around 12.00 i think so the DAA probably didn't update the live departures on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

They certainly didn't update their passenger travel advice on Wednesday last! Flew out of T2 unexpectadly with EI to Munich. The terminal is very impressive - however you expect tumbleweed to drift across as people are thin on the ground. Also there's a lack of retail and food concessions. Plenty of helpful customer service staff on hand though.

We found out that if you have checked in online you can still go through the security control in T1 and then walk over T2. Walk is about 10-15 min. Apparently, they wo't allow regular check ins at T1 for T2. Makes sense I suppose but you would think with the transition that they would allow both.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Will be heading off to NY with Aerlingus on the 30th of this month, does anyone know if it will be open to these flights at that stage? Would love to see the new terminal, fed up of looking at the other one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BrianD wrote: »
    Flew out of T2 unexpectadly with EI to Munich. The terminal is very impressive - however you expect tumbleweed to drift across as people are thin on the ground. Also there's a lack of retail and food concessions.
    We did the same last weekend. Agree about the tumbleweed comment, but as we'd arrived waaay too early because of the snow, my wife went on a bit of a wander around and found a few retail outlets on the next floor up from the gates with a lot of very bored looking assistants. There was no signposting in the gate areas indicating they were there though that we could see.

Also fell flat on my arse walking down the brand new shiny rubber flooring material in the airbridge :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Plowman wrote: »
    :confused: Apart from the other hundred or so people boarding the plane that is.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Are the check-ins at T2 being used now? And is T2 taking arrivals as well as departures now?

The "phasing in" of T2 seems painfully slow...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

cournioni wrote: »
    Will be heading off to NY with Aerlingus on the 30th of this month, does anyone know if it will be open to these flights at that stage? Would love to see the new terminal, fed up of looking at the other one!

No. The US immigration won't be opening there until Jan, so your flight will leave from T1. You can pop in to the departures building of T2 for a look though now it's open.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Are the check-ins at T2 being used now? And is T2 taking arrivals as well as departures now?

The "phasing in" of T2 seems painfully slow...:(

There were 5 EI flights today along with an EY flight. Check-ins in T2 happening as well as arrivals. EI management decide on what flights and how many,come and go based on how happy they are with the operation of the terminal building. I'd expect once xmas is over that things will gather pace rapidly,i think there's a worry about operating out of 2 terminals,hence the slow ramp up in operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Setanta_og

There has to be contributory Negligence on your part Alun JUST IN CASE
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Jayuu wrote: »
    I've just checked Dublin Airport's live information and according to it the only arrivals and departures in Terminal 2 are the Etihad flights.

I can't believe this is the case so I'm wondering is it a case of flights arriving and departing in Terminal 2 but that you have to transfer to or from Terminal 1 first. While I have posted in favour of a staggered ramp-up this would seem to be an incredibly slow process.

Has anybody here actually been on a flight (other than Etihad) that has arrived at or departed from Terminal 2?
    Just checked the arrivals for the next 24 hrs
    http://flights.dublinairport.com/arrivals.asp
    Only one flight from Etihad, still a slow ramp up then!

bbbbb wrote: »
    Just checked the arrivals for the next 24 hrs
    http://flights.dublinairport.com/arrivals.asp
    Only one flight from Etihad, still a slow ramp up then!

They won't have the arrivals for T2 on the live arrivals board as a decision is only made each morning on which flights will arrive at T2. That's what i understand anyway. Similar for departures.

EI upped their numbers of departures from T2 to 5 a day as of yesterday. Seems to be EI 606,334,162,109 & 356 at the minute though that's liable to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Just saw this in the indo this morning Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Been a long time since there were BA operated flights in to Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Shhh

oddiot wrote: »
    No. The US immigration won't be opening there until Jan, so your flight will leave from T1. You can pop in to the departures building of T2 for a look though now it's open.

I heard feb for US immigration.. all other aerlingus flights in jan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭Elessar

Shhh wrote: »
    I heard feb for US immigration.. all other aerlingus flights in jan.

All sorts of dates being handed out for CBP go-live. The latest I was told (from a US customs officer in T2 today) is 19th Jan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Flew into DUB this morning from ORD. Disappointed that T2 is not in use. I sat for 30+ mins on the runway waiting for a gate to open up in T1 because the airport is so busy these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

MYOB wrote: »
    Been a long time since there were BA operated flights in to Dublin!

Not that long, I flew into Dublin on a BA flight last year!

KenHy wrote: »
    Not that long, I flew into Dublin on a BA flight last year!

On a BA plane? They and KLM generally don't operate out of Dublin at all, you check in and get boarding passes as if you're with them.... and plonk your arse on an Aer Lingus seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DrFluff

According to the US' Dept. of Homeland Security website, it looks like CBP IS due to go live in T2 on Jan 19th. Check out the following link:

http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/releases/pr_1293737568851.shtm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

On a BA plane? They and KLM generally don't operate out of Dublin at all, you check in and get boarding passes as if you're with them.... and plonk your arse on an Aer Lingus seat.

Yep, was a BA plane in March 2009. Flew from Gatwick into Dublin.

• Advertisement

KenHy wrote: »
    Yep, was a BA plane in March 2009. Flew from Gatwick into Dublin.

Must have been a problem with Aer Lingus stock-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭tippilot

BA did operate a Dub-LGW service. Not a codeshare with EI. Equipment was a 733. It was discontinued not long after March 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

tippilot wrote: »
    BA did operate a Dub-LGW service. Not a codeshare with EI. Equipment was a 733. It was discontinued not long after March 2009.

They also operated London City to Dublin in competition with Cityjet until late 2009.

The British airways Gatwick - Dublin route operated for many years using Boeing 737's, and previously BAe 146 aircraft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Is their any ramp-up time-line available?

Any cut-off date after which all Aer Lingus flights will be Terminal 2?

enda1 wrote: »

Last i heard was EI will start ramping up things next week(week beginning January 10th). At the moment there's an average of 5 outbound and 5 inbound EI flights a day from T2. I'd expect that to rise to around 15 outbound and 15 inbound every day from next week. Assuming no problems i'd say they'll move everything relatively quickly after that.

Transatlantics are due to start on January 19th. I'd say they'll start with 2 or 3 outbound and inbound a day initially until they're happy everything is running as it should and then proceed to move the lot over.

All told i'd say everything should be moved over by the end of February/early March.

• Advertisement

enda1 wrote: »

In the reservation systems, it is shown that Heathrow and Gatwick Flights are due to move on the 11th January, so that will be approximately 17 departures per day and an equal number of arrivals. It is likely some other selected flights will also use T2 and will be chosen on the day as has been the case so far.

The airlines are being less commital on transatlatic services - in the booking systems all are listed as using Terminal 1 for some months yet, but that is probably because US CBP have been pretty shifty regarding an opening date for that facility. If confirmed as the 19th Jan, than I would expect EI will move JFK over first, followed quickly by the remainder, with other carriers to follow soon after.

runway16 wrote: »
    They also operated London City to Dublin in competition with Cityjet until late 2009.

The British airways Gatwick - Dublin route operated for many years using Boeing 737's, and previously BAe 146 aircraft.

I stand corrected. Still, the planes during the ice were probably the first BA planes to land at DUB in that time, then...

I stand corrected. Still, the planes during the ice were probably the first BA planes to land at DUB in that time, then...

BA do divert into Dublin on occasion, but it is quite rare. They seem to prefer SNN for that purpose. I think you are probably right and that is the first BA aircraft in since about late 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭oharach

Transatlantics are due to start on January 19th. I'd say they'll start with 2 or 3 outbound and inbound a day initially until they're happy everything is running as it should and then proceed to move the lot over.
    The airlines are being less commital on transatlatic services - in the booking systems all are listed as using Terminal 1 for some months yet, but that is probably because US CBP have been pretty shifty regarding an opening date for that facility. If confirmed as the 19th Jan, than I would expect EI will move JFK over first, followed quickly by the remainder, with other carriers to follow soon after.

I'd say it's pretty unlikely that US CBP will operate two facilities at the same time. This will probably mean that the ramp up will be pretty swift, as any flights remaining in T1 for the time being will have to go through full immigration in the US.

oharach wrote: »
    I'd say it's pretty unlikely that US CBP will operate two facilities at the same time. This will probably mean that the ramp up will be pretty swift, as any flights remaining in T1 for the time being will have to go through full immigration in the US.

I'm thinking they may leave the afternoon flights that currently don't clear immigration here alone until they're happy that everything is ok. Basically it'd be all the morning flights moving over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭someday2010

Will aerlingus be operating flights to the uk from T2 and any idea when they will switch over?

Yes, Aerlingus will switch all their flights to T2 eventually. Flights to London Heathrow and Gatwick switch over on January 11th, remaining short haul flights by february.

It was my first time in T2 today, and I have to say, its marvellous. I havent been that impressed by a building since I was in Kuala Lumper's amazing airport terminal.

They have done an amazing job - it is up there with the world's best terminals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭royan

Flights to London Heathrow and Gatwick switch over on January 11th, remaining short haul flights by february.
    I spoke to a rep on their reservations desk yesterday after dropping off my SiL - they said that they've not yet been given any schedule for moving over. There are a few flights a day coming into T2 but it doesn't seem to be to any particular plan.

royan wrote: »
    I spoke to a rep on their reservations desk yesterday after dropping off my SiL - they said that they've not yet been given any schedule for moving over. There are a few flights a day coming into T2 but it doesn't seem to be to any particular plan.

Definitely EI London flights starting tuesday,17 inbound and 17 outbound from tuesday. 1 Delta in and 1 out(checking in in T2,departing from T1).

Looks like some of the other retailers and food concessions are gearing up for launch on tuesday too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Definitely EI London flights starting tuesday,17 inbound and 17 outbound from tuesday. 1 Delta in and 1 out(checking in in T2,departing from T1).

Looks like some of the other retailers and food concessions are gearing up for launch on tuesday too.

Dublin Airport press release says Delta will start using T2 from tomorrow (Jan 11th) for all it's services (JFK and Atlanta). I guess the plan is for a gradual build up of usage of the new US Immigration/Pre-clearance facility rather than transferring all the US airlines in one go so that they can comfortably iron out teething problems whilst there are smaller numbers using the facility.

I wonder how Delta passengers are being notified as 24 hours seems short notice and I don't expect all of them to be actively consulting the net for this type of information!

• Advertisement
Advertisement