Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paleo

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭NinetyForNone

Anyone know where I can get some mammoth?
    Soon..
    Wikipedia wrote:
    De-Extinction

As of 2014, there are ongoing projects such as that from Sooam attempting to recover the mammoth population. Similar to the method popularised in the film Jurassic Park, the projects are based on finding suitable DNA in frozen bodies. The next step is to recover and, if possible, combine the DNA with similar living animals such as the elephant, which may give birth to some mammoth-related or mammoth species.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭jimmer123

I have coconut milk with cashew/almonds and some berries etc... Delicious!

I tried this last night and this morning after reading your post. I added raisens and a raspberry, lime and sugar syrup I had made for a drink and it was one of the nicest things I have ever eaten. Thanks for the idea :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MaggieZ

Regarding oats, from what I understand, the issue from the Paleo diet's view, is not so much that they are processed, but that they contain phytic acid, which binds with molecules of minerals such as calcium, zink, iron, etc and prevents them from being absorbed by our bodies. Soaking can somewhat help, but there is no consensus on that in the scientific community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

conzy wrote: »
    So they are not "processed" like frosties are... But there is no way a caveman had access to them. Which just further proves how limiting your food choices based on what cavemen could get is not optimal.. Because rolled oats are savage

It would be nice to be living in caves and just walking around all day picking berries :-)

mickman wrote: »
    interesting . Lots of fruit and veg also and plenty sunshine :-)

Which is exactly what Paleo diet's proponents are saying is good for you. It's not just meat, you know. In fact, fruit and vegetables should make up the bulk of human's diet, no arguments there.

Fair enough also but the facts dont lie. I have never read about a healthy / vibrant race that lives past 100 regularly in near perfect health that eat a lot of meat

Now its also possible that they dont eat meat as they dont have access to lots of it , would be interesting to see how they fared if they ate a lot of meat as maybe its other factors that enable them to live longer i.e. clean air / water etc

One example would be the Maasai of Kenya, there are others.

MaggieZ wrote: »
    One example would be the Maasai of Kenya, there are others.

The Maasai have a life expectancy of less than 60

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Live fast, die young.

An occupational hazard.

The Maasai have a life expectancy of less than 60

This maybe so, but considering that they are free from Western world diseases, I would argue that their shorter life span maybe the result of factors other than diet. Accidents, viruses, bacterial infections (I would imagine, antibiotics are not readily available to them), death in childbirth, generally harsher conditions of life - all of it can shorten life expectancy.

• Advertisement

This maybe so, but considering that they are free from Western world diseases, I would argue that their shorter life span maybe the result of factors other than diet. Accidents, viruses, bacterial infections (I would imagine, antibiotics are not readily available to them), death in childbirth, generally harsher conditions of life - all of it can shorten life expectancy.

yes but they are likely free of western world diseases because they die young. The majority of degenerative disease in the west affects older people, i know it does affect young people too when they are very unhealthy in general but its likely the Masai would develop lots of problems if they lived longer.

All societies with extraordinary longevity, and there are quite a few, are distinctly similar in several key factors. All eat a primarily plant based diet, all have moderate physical activity most of the day, and all have strong social structure with both family and community.

Just to add - i eat meat and plenty of it

yes but they are likely free of western world diseases because they die young. The majority of degenerative disease in the west affects older people, i know it does affect young people too when they are very unhealthy in general but its likely the Masai would develop lots of problems if they lived longer.

All societies with extraordinary longevity, and there are quite a few, are distinctly similar in several key factors. All eat a primarily plant based diet, all have moderate physical activity most of the day, and all have strong social structure with both family and community.

Just to add - i eat meat and plenty of it

I would say there is plenty of time to develop heart disease and diabetes before 60...Anyway, the point is, Paleo does not require you to eat steak for breakfast. What it promotes is to eat plenty of fruit and vegetables, healthy fats and oils, meats (especially organ meat), fish, exercise, fresh air and plenty of sunshine. Avoid sugar and highly processed food. Grain and legumes are avoided due to their high phytic acid content. True, some traditional diets contain grains, but they soak and ferment them before consuming, which helps to get rid of anti-nutrients. We simply do not do that. Most of the things listed above you mentioned as the ones observed in long-living populations. So I really do not see a contradiction there.

I would say there is plenty of time to develop heart disease and diabetes before 60...Anyway, the point is, Paleo does not require you to eat steak for breakfast. What it promotes is to eat plenty of fruit and vegetables, healthy fats and oils, meats (especially organ meat), fish, exercise, fresh air and plenty of sunshine. Avoid sugar and highly processed food. Grain and legumes are avoided due to their high phytic acid content. True, some traditional diets contain grains, but they soak and ferment them before consuming, which helps to get rid of anti-nutrients. We simply do not do that. Most of the things listed above you mentioned as the ones observed in long-living populations. So I really do not see a contradiction there.

ok fair enough. i only got involved in this discussion as an earlier poster was saying he was having a pork chop for breakfast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

an earlier poster was saying he was living the dream

Fixed.

Fixed.

all that meat is going to your head :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

all that meat is going to your head :-)

Are you implying he's a... meathead?

I'll get my coat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Legumes don’t tend to have great nutritional profiles. They’re not bad but they’re not great.

They tend to have a high carbohydrate content for what they do provide. They’re not as bad as processed foods or grains but if weight loss is your goal, there are definitely much better (and paleo) choices out there for you.

Lets take Kidney beans as an example of a legume.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=87

Calories 200+
    Total Carbs 36 g
    Dietary Fiber 15 g
    Sugars 2 g
    Protein 17 g

They have a great nutritional/vitamin/mineral profile, are cheap and bloody delicious, but you have to cut them out because Paleo says so.

Davei141,

Legumes contain phytic acid and also lectins. There is plenty of scientific articles on both, if you don't trust Paleo authors. In the end, we all make our own decisions about what is best for our bodies. This thread was started by someone practicing Paleo diet looking for advice from like-minded people. You don't see me barging into vegetarian thread and tell people that their diet is stupid and they should all eat meat. Just saying.

Davei141,

Legumes contain phytic acid and also lectins. There is plenty of scientific articles on both, if you don't trust Paleo authors. In the end, we all make our own decisions about what is best for our bodies. This thread was started by someone practicing Paleo diet looking for advice from like-minded people. You don't see me barging into vegetarian thread and tell people that their diet is stupid and they should all eat meat. Just saying.
    Phytic acid can bind to minerals in the digestive tract and make them less available to the body. However, this is most problematic in areas of the world with already-established nutrient and mineral deficiency that rely primarily on foods containing high amounts of phytic acid.

On the plus side, phytic acid can act as antioxidant, exhibits anti-cancer properties, and may have a positive impact on cholesterol and blood sugar. Preparation methods can reduce the phytic acid content in food, as well as adjusting meal times and food choices.

One of the reasons you shouldn't eat legumes as well according to Paleo is because of bloating, gas and IBS. That cuts out a boat load of fruit and veg...

I am just sick of hearing the rules on Paleo that make zero sense. White potato is not paleo but sweet potato is blah blah, some of the reasons i have read - High GL (what the heck that has to do with anything i don't know, so high GL fruit is fair game but not potato, makes no sense) Nightshade - Never hear anyone saying you can't eat tomatoes, peppers or aubergine?

It seems what could have been a great idea for just getting people to eat real foods turned into something with silly rules and weak justification for them rules.

The whole thing is symbolic of the fitness/diet industry, try to complicate stuff so the lay person is dazzled and spends cash. Because simple doesn't sell. Like i said the core principles of it are great, eat fresh whole foods. Leave all the other BS out.

I personally prefer Mark Sisson's Primal approach, it allows dairy for those who can tolerate it, wine, chocolate, and potatoes. He even puts legumes in "OK" category :) His blog has wealth of free information, so no need to spend money. I also think that following *anything* in life dogmatically is bad for the soul and the belly :)

I personally prefer Mark Sisson's Primal approach, it allows dairy for those who can tolerate it, wine, chocolate, and potatoes. He even puts legumes in "OK" category :) His blog has wealth of free information, so no need to spend money. I also think that following *anything* in life dogmatically is bad for the soul and the belly :)

Agreed a million! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gem31

Hey!

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can buy sweet potato vermicelli in Dublin?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5 frickfrack

You can get buckwheat and sweet potato vermicelli in some health food stores, but I have yet to locate pure sweet potato ones. You could try making you own if you have a spiralizer or a julienne peeler, though the vermicelli you would get in asia would be made from starch rather than the whole tuber. Maybe try an asian grocer....

frickfrack wrote: »
    You can get buckwheat and sweet potato vermicelli in some health food stores, but I have yet to locate pure sweet potato ones. You could try making you own if you have a spiralizer or a julienne peeler, though the vermicelli you would get in asia would be made from starch rather than the whole tuber. Maybe try an asian grocer....

This post has lots of words I'm pretty sure are foods and food equipment yet I've never heard of them.

A spiralizer is a ridiculous yet quite fun gadget that makes noodles out of veggies, a julienne peeler peels veggies into spaghetti style strands for you. I was only replying to somebody else's post about finding sweet potato vermicelli in dublin, which I've looked for myself. No need for the ould stinkeye Blacktie. We're all friends here, surely?

frickfrack wrote: »
    A spiralizer is a ridiculous yet quite fun gadget that makes noodles out of veggies, a julienne peeler peels veggies into spaghetti style strands for you. I was only replying to somebody else's post about finding sweet potato vermicelli in dublin, which I've looked for myself. No need for the ould stinkeye Blacktie. We're all friends here, surely?

Comment was made in fun of my ignorance not at your expense... I probably should have added a :pac: dude to it but I'm tired and these things slip my mind. :D

nah, I shoulda been more specific, its not like we're tripping over noodle making gadgetry every time we leave the house. I'm gonna try to make sweet potato noodles tonight and see if they turn out gross. Courgette noodles were good, so...
    Btw, saw coconut aminos in health and fitness over here in the Naas Monread Tesco shopping centre. First time I've seen them in Ireland outside of the interwebs. Big bottle for a hefty tenner, it kills me to shell out so much for a soy sauce with no soy, but needs must on the whole 30.

Advertisement