Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Read this before asking "What to expect from [subject/course]?" ALL COURSE INFO HERE!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TheeItcha

No-one ever asks about Sociology *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

TheeItcha wrote: »
    communist_party.jpg

That's why no one asks about sociology :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Squaw Crow

Its so pissed poor organized - don't do it seriously. Im changing my course this year- save urself the money and the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

TheeItcha wrote: »

What's Sociology like?

Other than the roleplaying, the feminism, the communism and the focus on "lower class" Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

Hey. I am considering doing my accounting masters in NUI Maynooth next year and was hoping to gather some feedback about the course from any current student of the course or any one that has anything to say about it. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

hi im hopeing to do that next year, if all goes well:P

do you know if there are many people that went on from FETAC qualifications?? im doing one in journalism and i know there are 3 places in media studies but is there any chance if u know.. were all the places filled? if you get what im trying to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mark2006

Hey,
    Thinking of this course in NUIM, anybody have any personal advice, information, how they found it, and whats it like in comparison to other social science courses?

Thanks a million :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

At the top of this forum there is a thread dedicated to subject advice, you might find that info in there. Good luck with your search

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Rozabeez wrote: »
    What's Sociology like?

Other than the roleplaying, the feminism, the communism and the focus on "lower class" Dublin?

Pretty much that...

With a good measure of middle class guilt and a history of thought without liberalism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Ddemo

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just want to know whats the course like from a students point of views????

daily timetable etc....

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doodle53

Hey guys,
    Im hopefully gonna be goin into Arts in September and was thinkin of the subjects to take up.
    Im just wonderin if anyone can tell me some info on the french course.Im doin honours french and got a B in the mocks and would be hopin for the same in the Leaving Cert.Im just wonderin if you think that enough to get by or is it more for the A students.Also if anyone did an erasmus would you let me know what you thought etc that'd be great.
    Cheers,
    John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Hey John,

I study French here in Maynooth and honestly, you'd be absolutely grand with a B. Their acceptance band is anyone who gets a grade of HC3 or above and that is certainly true. Also, if you end up here in Maynooth, you get three weeks to finalise your course decisions, so if you end up not liing French you can drop it within these 3 weeks.

And as for Erasmus, I didn't do it so can't tell you much about it. But hope I've helped you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doodle53

Yea thanks a bunch.I just didnt wanna go in and everyone else is like fluent!Ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 DnBMoloney24

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone who is studying this course has any information about it and/or if they would recommend it. Cheers, Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

Law (BCL) and Arts? Anyone do it? What's it like? Is it very boring or very interesting because I imagine it would be one extreme or the other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 aoife24

Is anyone thinking of starting the Foundation year course in Finance, Economics and Business this year?

tigerblob wrote: »
    Law (BCL) and Arts? Anyone do it? What's it like? Is it very boring or very interesting because I imagine it would be one extreme or the other?

Am in first year law. In the first semester you will study Constitutional Law 1 and Contract Law 1. In the second semester you will study Constitutional Law 2, Contract Law 2 and Administrative Law. First semester you will have 4 hours, 2 hours each. Second semester you will have 6 hours, 2 hours of each. Usually you will have 1 hour of tutorials a week. This year the timetable for law was horrible, most notably having 3 hours of law on a friday afternoon.
    I found all 3 modules interesting, in particular Constitutional Law as I have an interest in history and politics. Administrative Law is closely connected with Constitutional Law and both modules are taught by the same lecturer. I found Contract to be interesting as well. The lectures can be tedious but if you do the readings and look at the notes you will be able to handle the modules.
    Even though this degree is new the Law department are making huge in roads into getting this degree talked about in the same way as law degrees in the other universities. There is the possibility to study abroad in 3rd year or do a year internship with a major Irish law firm. The lecturers are some of the best in the country and even internationally. The law students themselves have set up a Law Society and a Law Newsletter.
    I highly recommend this degree. If you have any questions feel free to ask

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Am in first year law. In the first semester you will study Constitutional Law 1 and Contract Law 1. In the second semester you will study Constitutional Law 2, Contract Law 2 and Administrative Law. First semester you will have 4 hours, 2 hours each. Second semester you will have 6 hours, 2 hours of each. Usually you will have 1 hour of tutorials a week. This year the timetable for law was horrible, most notably having 3 hours of law on a friday afternoon.
    I found all 3 modules interesting, in particular Constitutional Law as I have an interest in history and politics. Administrative Law is closely connected with Constitutional Law and both modules are taught by the same lecturer. I found Contract to be interesting as well. The lectures can be tedious but if you do the readings and look at the notes you will be able to handle the modules.
    Even though this degree is new the Law department are making huge in roads into getting this degree talked about in the same way as law degrees in the other universities. There is the possibility to study abroad in 3rd year or do a year internship with a major Irish law firm. The lecturers are some of the best in the country and even internationally. The law students themselves have set up a Law Society and a Law Newsletter.
    I highly recommend this degree. If you have any questions feel free to ask

Kiwi_Knock gave a really good summary here that I would agree with. Also in Law and absolutely loving it!
    The lectures are interesting but can get as tedious as any subject when you aren't in the mood, workload isn't too tough either as long as you try to keep on top of your study! Something I could've done better!
    We also plan on having law nights out for all the years next year as well which will give you an opportunity to know those in other years who can help you! :)

P.S. Join the Law Newsletter! Tis awesome! :)
    Hee hee starting my PR already!

Kiwi_Knock gave a really good summary here that I would agree with. Also in Law and absolutely loving it!
    The lectures are interesting but can get as tedious as any subject when you aren't in the mood, workload isn't too tough either as long as you try to keep on top of your study! Something I could've done better!
    We also plan on having law nights out for all the years next year as well which will give you an opportunity to know those in other years who can help you! :)

P.S. Join the Law Newsletter! Tis awesome! :)
    Hee hee starting my PR already!
    + 1
    If all goes to plan next years law 1st years will have the best preparation for their course, the best support for meeting new people, and of course the opportunity to help with the Law Newsletter. Obviously being helping with the Newsletter is way more important than making friends and learning about your course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Postit

aoife24 wrote: »
    Is anyone thinking of starting the Foundation year course in Finance, Economics and Business this year?

I've done this course. PM me if you want any info!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭clairemcbear

please!!! Can someone tell me whether ordinary maths will do (A2) and if taking maths with it in first year,is very very very necessary? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

please!!! Can someone tell me whether ordinary maths will do (A2) and if taking maths with it in first year,is very very very necessary? :p

I don't think you have a choice in taking it or not in first year. I could be entirely wrong though!

Apparently all you need is a B in ordinary level and you'll be sorted. I know people who've done that course with a B at ordinary level and haven't had many problems. Once you put the effort in and attend lectures you'd be fine I'd say. There's services available for those who have problems with maths too, extra tuition and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭clairemcbear

I know there's maths in the course,but the prospectus suggests you take maths as your arts subject along with it,if you've done ordinary level.
    I don't think you have a choice in taking it or not in first year. I could be entirely wrong though!

Apparently all you need is a B in ordinary level and you'll be sorted. I know people who've done that course with a B at ordinary level and haven't had many problems. Once you put the effort in and attend lectures you'd be fine I'd say. There's services available for those who have problems with maths too, extra tuition and stuff.

I know there's maths in the course,but the prospectus suggests you take maths as your arts subject along with it,if you've done ordinary level.

Ah ok.

You'll get on grand once you keep up with the work and recognise that you need help if you start having difficulties. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Only in 5th year at the moment, because of 4th year. Im looking into options
    Could someone tell me what
    1. Multimedia
    http://admissions.nuim.ie/subjects/MultimediaBSc.shtml

2. Computer Science and Software Engineering
    http://admissions.nuim.ie/subjects/science_CSSEng.shtml

Are like.

Thanks in Advance.
    Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Just wondering has anyone on here done PO304 (Society and State)? Trying to get an idea of modules and stuff for next year :/ Is there much reading/work involved? Don't think I want to do Revolutions again lol :pac: (assuming choices are the same as this year)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Fill me in: it's my number one cap choice if England doesn't work out.

Do many people do it? Is it demanding lots of work needed? What are the points? Last I checked 380...

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Have a read through the thread, I don't really feel like repeating a load of older posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Economics&Finance students

Anyone know the best way to go about finding out what's involved in 2nd year joint arts economics with regards modules and elective choices etc.?? Want to be prepared for next year. Had waaaaayyyy too much fun this one.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Ddemo

Hey, im hoping to be doing this in September and would like a students outlook on it, general stuff like hours, whats it like etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

Does anyone do Product Design (Marketing and Innovation)? Opinions on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭collegemum

Just finished it on Thursday :D

I loved it overall. It is very challenging and leaving everything till the last minute won't do.
    The hours are ok, i think you may have Friday off in 1st year with the rest of the classes all over the place.

You can look up timetables for last years 1st years on the website.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

Im just after doing first year, I really liked it. Word of warning though if you really really dont like maths do the business and accounting course instead :D The maths end of it is tough, but if your willing to put the work in you will be ok. If you want to pm me anymore questions work away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭collegemum

ontour wrote: »
    Im just after doing first year, I really liked it. Word of warning though if you really really dont like maths do the business and accounting course instead :D The maths end of it is tough, but if your willing to put the work in you will be ok. If you want to pm me anymore questions work away :)

Agree with you on the maths :( i worked really hard at it and did really weel but it's tough enough. You don't have to do it in 2nd or 3rd year tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

collegemum wrote: »

You can look up timetables for last years 1st years on the website.

Do the timetables change much from year to year or are they all pretty much set in stone?

• Advertisement

Not set in stone but they don't change dramatically year to year. Looking at them will give you a good idea what to expect. Remember to factor in tutorials/language labs/labs/etc when trying to calculate total number of hours in the week. You won't be able to know when these are though until they're organised however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Anyone doing Venture Management? Whats it like?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 114 ✭✭UglyFuc

I want to do arts but not to sure ill get the points. Since the points are far lower for theology and arts can anybody tell me a bit about this degree?

You have to do theology along with 2 arts subjects at least in the first year i think?

Then i want to know if i can drop theology after the first year and just carry on with my two or one arts subjects? i sort of want to to do physcology and computer science.

problem is i definatly dont want to end up doing theology... the idea of studying religion..mass is bad enough..

any other important info i might want to look at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

If you don't want to study theology....i can't stress this enough....DON'T APPLY FOT IT! :eek:

Not only theology, but ANY subject.

Best advice I ever got for applying on the CAO: Apply for what you want, in the order you want them. True, the points may screw you over....but maybe only in the first round. Come the next round, you may be offered a place.....or the next...ore the next. I'm sure this can be annoying/tedious but in the end, its your degree and possible career you're applying for.

Go for what you REALLY want.

If you want Arts in NUIM, go for it. If you don't get it.....ring them. I know this sounds silly, but believe me, it could really get you places. There's ALWAYS room for one more in an Arts Degree.

I will point out, however....I'm drunk, so wait for sober responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Sophie_

UglyFuc wrote: »
    I want to do arts but not to sure ill get the points. Since the points are far lower for theology and arts can anybody tell me a bit about this degree?

You have to do theology along with 2 arts subjects at least in the first year i think?

Then i want to know if i can drop theology after the first year and just carry on with my two or one arts subjects? i sort of want to to do physcology and computer science.

problem is i definatly dont want to end up doing theology... the idea of studying religion..mass is bad enough..

any other important info i might want to look at?[/QUOTE

Unfortunately you will have to continue with Theology and one other arts subject in 2 & 3 year. One other thing to note about Psychology is that only a small number of students will be selected to continue with it in 2nd year. I also suggest getting on the NUIM website & read the stuff on the Admissions website, the Theology one, psychology & Comp Sc. there is loads of stuff there.

I would also read the response below, apply for what you want to study through the CAO, lots of student make mistake of applying for what they aren't really interested in & they drop out because they hate their choice.

Good luck with your studies, follow your own dreams & you'll do fine & most importantly you'll be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

Unless you actually want to do theology,dont apply for it. A friend of mine missed out on arts by 5 points and had theology and arts down as his 2nd choice. He pressumed the theology part couldnt be that bad but it was. Ended up dropping out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

If you have no interest then don't go near it. I have a full degree in it and while some of it was interesting,a huge amount of it is boring and it is actually a very tough degree.

Aside from that it is pure Catholic rhetoric,a lot of which IMO is a load of bull. You don't look at any world religions which is a problem for me now as I am a qualified religion teacher. The thing is I really enjoy teaching religion as you look at all the world religions,their history,you look at morality and moral decisions,religion and science,non-belief. The course is basically completely different to what religion was like when I was in school 8 years ago.

The theology degree basically is like what religion in school was like,pure Catholic dogma. I am interested in religion and taht's why i teach it but I even hate how this course is. I barely got through it. You have to remember it is also where the priests train,so lectures are focused towards that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 114 ✭✭UglyFuc

[/QUOTE]Unfortunately you will have to continue with Theology and one other arts subject in 2 & 3 year.[/QUOTE]

this is what im trying to find out are you sure you just cant drop it after first year? beacuse that would be the only reason im applying to get into arts by back door..

i'm hearing different advice from different people so im still not really sure. il have arts down first obviously but if i dont get that ive no idea what i even want to do?..

actuall i just saw this other thread on the same topic.. different answers again http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055928383

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Sophie_

Unfortunately you will have to continue with Theology and one other arts subject in 2 & 3 year.[/QUOTE]

this is what im trying to find out are you sure you just cant drop it after first year? beacuse that would be the only reason im applying to get into arts by back door..

i'm hearing different advice from different people so im still not really sure. il have arts down first obviously but if i dont get that ive no idea what i even want to do?..

actuall i just saw this other thread on the same topic.. different answers again http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055928383[/QUOTE

www.maynoothcollege.ie/courses/undergrad/bath.shtml

yes I'm almost certain u keep Theology in 2 & 3rd year. It might be possible to transfer to NUIM degree but u wld be taking a chance on whether they would let you. It might be the same subjects in the one place but they are two separate Universities. Why don't u ring Admissions at NUIM and simply ask them ull get piece of mind knowing oifficially

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Yes, I'm fairly certain you can. Once you are accepted to university there is a lot of changing that can happen once enrolled. If you don't like your course after the first month even I think there might be a case for switching. The Academic Advisory Office do this.

I started my degree doing BA Politics, but if you send an email to admissions saying that you want to change course, you can do so by filling in a form, and attaching a small fee, I think it was €10 in my case, and you can switch into General Arts for the other two subjects. In my case Computer Science and Philosophy.

I will emphasise what funky penguin, and tvnutz have said though. If you are not interested in theology or learning more about the Bible and other things, there is little point in doing it even for a year. The theology taught is also from what I have heard is quite Roman Catholic centric (as can and should be expected of a Roman Catholic seminary).

You might be surprised and find it more interesting than you thought but I would put Arts up higher than Theology and Arts anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

If you do end up having to do Theology you had better hope and pray that God can get you out of it and into Arts I suppose. Godfrey Jones that is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 teleboy

heeeeeeeeeey,

Was thinking about changing my CAO to put multimedia in maynooth as no.1,

can anyone tell me about the course,i.e. good or bad? is it like a computers course or what the course mainly focuses on? What jobs follow on from the course? difference between B.A and B.Sc?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Hi Can anybody Please give a detailed description of the european studies course and the geography course. i might be doing them in september so please reply :) , thank you

Hi Can anybody Please give a detailed description of the european studies course and the geography course. i might be doing them in september so please reply :) , thank you

European studies is exactly the same as Arts, same classes, everything, except in first year you have one extra lecture per week and in second year you have one extra lecture every two weeks.

Geography in first year you take 4 compulsory modules, two in human geography, two in physical geography. Physical is grand, I'd say 50% is the same kind of topics as leaving cert just in much more detail, the rest are new topics.

Human geography is quite interesting, could possibly be compared to sociology/anthropology. Entire course is stuff you most likely won't have studied before. Second semester is totally continuous assessment (well it was when I did it two years ago) where as the first semester is half CA (two ica's) half exam.

By putting any amount of effort in to first year geography it is easy to do well.

Second year geography there are loads of different modules you can take.
    Political, Natural hazards and disasters, cultural, urban, historical and colonial, social, hydrology, economic, it goes on and on. There are 2 compulsory modules (one in each semester - if you are doing european studies then you don't take these classes) which are entirely CA. Revolves primarily around a semester long project which you then present/write up (depending on the class) Really interesting course and well taught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

European studies is exactly the same as Arts, same classes, everything, except in first year you have one extra lecture per week and in second year you have one extra lecture every two weeks.

Geography in first year you take 4 compulsory modules, two in human geography, two in physical geography. Physical is grand, I'd say 50% is the same kind of topics as leaving cert just in much more detail, the rest are new topics.

Human geography is quite interesting, could possibly be compared to sociology/anthropology. Entire course is stuff you most likely won't have studied before. Second semester is totally continuous assessment (well it was when I did it two years ago) where as the first semester is half CA (two ica's) half exam.

By putting any amount of effort in to first year geography it is easy to do well.

Second year geography there are loads of different modules you can take.
    Political, Natural hazards and disasters, cultural, urban, historical and colonial, social, hydrology, economic, it goes on and on. There are 2 compulsory modules (one in each semester - if you are doing european studies then you don't take these classes) which are entirely CA. Revolves primarily around a semester long project which you then present/write up (depending on the class) Really interesting course and well taught.

Thank you for the reply michelleman, just in regards to the european studies, how does the erasmus program work in year three and say if i do spanish where abouts in spain do i go to? and will the things that you study there be the same as was thought in nui maynooth?

• Advertisement
Advertisement