Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to lose a stone in a month

Options
  • 29-05-2014 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi

Ever since Christmas I have eaten an absolutely awful diet and I've finally accepted I need to do something about this as I can feel my clothes getting tighter and it's an awful feeling! I'm 12 stone, 5'8 and want to get to 11 stone by the end of June.

The diet I've currently moved to is this:

Breakfast
    2x boiled eggs or a chunk of avocado (don't really do breakfast)

Lunch
    Big salad of lettuce, grated carrot, red onion, tomato and either chicken with Caesar dressing or egg/tuna with mayo
    Either alone or in a wrap

Dinner
    Chicken/pork etc with spices and salad
    or
    2xbacon, 2xfried egg, mushrooms
    or
    Chilli without rice

Drinks: LOTS of black tea, water

Trying to avoid carbs as much as poss, walking as much as poss and trying to up my exercise.

Does losing a stone in a month seem viable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

goose1 wrote: »
    Hi

Ever since Christmas I have eaten an absolutely awful diet and I've finally accepted I need to do something about this as I can feel my clothes getting tighter and it's an awful feeling! I'm 12 stone, 5'8 and want to get to 11 stone by the end of June.

The diet I've currently moved to is this:

Breakfast
    2x boiled eggs or a chunk of avocado (don't really do breakfast)

Lunch
    Big salad of lettuce, grated carrot, red onion, tomato and either chicken with Caesar dressing or egg/tuna with mayo
    Either alone or in a wrap

Dinner
    Chicken/pork etc with spices and salad
    or
    2xbacon, 2xfried egg, mushrooms
    or
    Chilli without rice

Drinks: LOTS of black tea, water

Trying to avoid carbs as much as poss, walking as much as poss and trying to up my exercise.

Does losing a stone in a month seem viable?

To get that in a month would be almost impossible. The average is usually 1-2 pounds a week with a super strict diet and some decent cardio thrown in. I would say it would be closer to 10-12 weeks.

Try cut out the carbs as much as you can, also dressings can significantly increase the calorific content of your food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

If you're cutting carbs considerably from your diet then you need to choose good fat sources for energy as you have to get your energy somewhere and protein is a bad choice. You already have eggs, bacon, avocado etc in your list so try using coconut oil when cooking to increase the amount of fat intake and try find other good sources too, e.g. grass fed beef, salmon etc. Also, ensure your meals contain adequate amounts of fibre otherwise you might have issues with digestion since you're cutting carbs.

Also, I'd recommend understanding how much energy you expend daily; do you sit in an office for your job or are you walking/running around all day? Realising this will then help you figure out how many calories your body requires to carry out your daily activities. You can then work out how to adjust your food intake to reach your goals while also factoring in the exercise you do too. You can Google "calorie calculator" and find loads of links that will help you reach your goals, like this one here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Loads and loads of water

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭BelleOfTheBall

Fitness pal app brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Took you 6 months too put it on why you expect to drop it in a month is beyond me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

You won't lose it on diet alone .

Exercise also in moderation

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It's not completely unusual to lose a stone in a month or so, particularly when undergo quite a large change in lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

It's not completely unusual to lose a stone in a month or so, particularly when undergo quite a large change in lifestyle.

It's probably possible. Drinking tonnes of water to drop any excess water weight might swing it a few pounds in their favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I've lost a stone in a month, it was my first stone lost so easier than subsequent ones. The main thing was I ran a calorie deficit of 700 calories a day and exercised (usually a 15km/45 minute cycle) four times a week. I think exercising four times a week for weight loss is essential because you are a lot less likely to be tempted by chocolate, cakes, etc after you've busted your ass exercising for an hour. By doing it 4 days out of 7 rather than 3 days out of 7 you give yourself a much better chance IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,502 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Its possible but its also likely it'll go back on again because the lifestyle change wasn't sustainable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

If you "don't really do breakfast", don't include it, it's non-sense that there is any benefit unique to eating in the morning. if you don't eat it it's less calories or you can spread the calories over your other meals. Also if anyone tells you to ADD something to your diet to LOSE weight, you can be quite confident they don't know what they're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fat to ripped

Yeah you could lose it. Don't know why you're in such a rush, but if you must, just cut your food intake dramatically. After you lose a stone go back to your previous diet and gain it all back, and then some!

Advertisement