Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold weather tips: Stopping your pipes from freezing

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Adeline Dower

Nahh leave the attic door in most modern houses open and half the house will catch pnuemonia.

An easier solution would be to run a 100w bulb up through a hole in the door. Yes this does work...and leave your down stairs tap on a very slow drip. If you are really over concerned.

local authority asked people not to leave water taps runing as there is a shortage of water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭iamskippy

local authority asked people not to leave water taps runing as there is a shortage of water
    and will they pay for any damage cause d by burst pipes if one is not insured?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Please i answered that a long long time ago. I said a poss solution but not necessary a good solution. I know what the council said but if it came between me and my sleep I would rather sleep with a dripping tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I have my attic well insulated and still my pips froz up ,any other tips
    Keep your attic door open...honestly, it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Some people here need to catch up on their physics 101 regarding lightbulbs...

Firstly, 100W is hardly going to send off cold air back to the artic. But when people are comparing heating an attic to heating a living room, something critical is being forgotten.

The rate of heat flow between a and b depends on the temperature difference between them. I.e. how fast heat is conducted depends on the temperature difference between a room and the garden outside. So a room which is heated 20 or 30 degrees hotter than outside is going to need quite a lot more heat than a room heated to 2 or 5 degrees above outside temperature.

Secondly, though it's open to correction, ALL the energy from a 100W lightbulb is going to result in heat sooner or later. That visible light is going to be absorbed by various things so it's going to result in heat, for example. Besides, 80% or thereabouts is emitted as non-visible light energy, aka heat.

Finally, a good chunk (I don't know how much) of the heat is the radiated infra-red-light kind of heat. That's going to heat in some way or another, all the surfaces it shines on. I don't think the convective air flow thing is particularly important. If the air has already frozen the pipes, it's not going to cool them no matter what sort of breeze blows! Pipes don't suffer from wind chill:rolleyes:

Apologies if I went a bit nerdy there but I felt that people shouldn't be given the wrong impression. The facts are that leaving a strong light on in the attic will make a small but significant difference to keeping pipes ice free. It's not a guarantee but it sure as hell will make a lot of people sleep more soundly and less likely to be forced to leave the tap running. Especially if they are too immobile to haul up heaters or put up makeshift insulation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bublehead

I believe you are one of these people also :D
    Firstly, 100W is hardly going to send off cold air back to the artic. But when people are comparing heating an attic to heating a living room, something critical is being forgotten.
    (Since no one else gave this example, I presume this is aimed at me) The example of the living room versus attic was rather crude in physics terms, but it was given to point out that if 2KW of heat energy escapes from an insulated room (25-30 degrees difference), what hope does a 0.1KW (20 times smaller) heater (i.e. Light bulb) have of heating a non insulated room (5-10 degrees different). Admittedly, probably not the best example.
    The rate of heat flow between a and b depends on the temperature difference between them. I.e. how fast heat is conducted depends on the temperature difference between a room and the garden outside. So a room which is heated 20 or 30 degrees hotter than outside is going to need quite a lot more heat than a room heated to 2 or 5 degrees above outside temperature.
    Correct, aka Newton's law of cooling. However you have to factor in all aspects of this law, including heat transfer coefficient, which will be quite different between an insulated room and a non insulated attic.
    It seems a lot of people believe because their attics are insulated, that their tank/pipes will be protected more, as the cold won’t get into their attic. In a lot of cases this is incorrect since the insulation is between the top floor and attic space, rather than the attic space and outside. In this case the chances of the tank/pipes freezing increases, as the heat is held below the attic and the attic space gets colder, increasing the likelihood of freezing. Of course, if the insulation is laid correctly over the tank/pipes and not under the tank, there should be no freezing as long as heat is coming from below!
    Secondly, though it's open to correction, ALL the energy from a 100W lightbulb is going to result in heat sooner or later. That visible light is going to be absorbed by various things so it's going to result in heat, for example. Besides, 80% or thereabouts is emitted as non-visible light energy, aka heat.
    Yea, pretty much, except what light is reflected, is lost travelling through the atmosphere and escapes from the space. Most light bulbs give off 90% of their energy as heat and only 10% light. Yes a lot is in the UV and IR spectrums.
    Finally, a good chunk (I don't know how much) of the heat is the radiated infra-red-light kind of heat. That's going to heat in some way or another, all the surfaces it shines on. I don't think the convective air flow thing is particularly important. If the air has already frozen the pipes, it's not going to cool them no matter what sort of breeze blows! Pipes don't suffer from wind chill:rolleyes:
    Eh, no :rolleyes: Even if the light bulb dissipated 100% of its energy as infra red heat, what percentage do you think would hit the pipes from a non focused bulb above the pipes? Even if it was 1%, the amount of heat transferred would be 1W. Even still, the max amount of heat that can be provided is 100W for the given space. Wind chill??? If you mean convection, you can’t just discount convection like that. Of course freezing air flowing around frozen pipes won’t make any difference, but freezing air flowing around non frozen pipes will! They will freeze faster due to the increased airflow. This is the principle a car radiator or convection heater works on. Admittedly the pipes don’t have anything like the surface area, but convection still counts.
    Apologies if I went a bit nerdy there but I felt that people shouldn't be given the wrong impression. The facts are that leaving a strong light on in the attic will make a small but significant difference to keeping pipes ice free. It's not a guarantee but it sure as hell will make a lot of people sleep more soundly and less likely to be forced to leave the tap running. Especially if they are too immobile to haul up heaters or put up makeshift insulation!
    For something to be a fact, it has to be proved. You have not done that.
    In a tiny room with tank and pipes taking up most of the space and insulation shielding the room from the outside, I would accept that a 100w bulb may make a difference of a few degrees. You can’t otherwise say it will make a difference, due to the complexity of the other external factors involved like:
    The size of the space being heated, The insulation between outside and inside, The insulation between house and attic, Insulation between bulb and tank/pipes, Outside temp, Heat provided from the house below, Water temp, Size of pipes, Material of pipes, Water flow, Thermal transfer between materials.
    I think with the extreme temperatures outside, a lot of people had their mains water cut off due to pipes freezing outside. Not much can be done about this besides burying the pipes deeper, adding insulation, heating the water (somehow) or keep the flow running (these will only slow down freezing process and obviously aren’t practical).
    Also a lot of people had their attic pipes/tanks freeze, due to either lack of insulation (over their tank), or heat in the right places (i.e. the room directly under their tank).
    Either way, leaving a tap running (while helpful) is irresponsible. We seem to be experiencing longer periods of temperatures below zero. This day in age, there is not much excuse for not having proper loft insulation, considering the price, the savings and the grants available. The majority of people have heating. Of course there is always the odd exception ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

This put me asleep long ago. You can spout all the physics you want an old school plumber will tell you that a light bulb positions in close prox to the water tank prevents it freezing it does not thaw it. It stops it in the first place.

I dont care what physics says. It has been practicised for years. Just look at the old stock of houses around dublin

As for anyone believing me. I could not care less. It was a "Suggested" idea. If you really want protection get up there this summer and lag all the pipes and lag the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This put me asleep long ago. You can spout all the physics you want an old school plumber will tell you that a light bulb positions in close prox to the water tank prevents it freezing it does not thaw it. It stops it in the first place.

I dont care what physics says. It has been practicised for years. Just look at the old stock of houses around dublin

As for anyone believing me. I could not care less. It was a "Suggested" idea. If you really want protection get up there this summer and lag all the pipes and lag the tank.
    It's nice to know people bother to read all of a post before replying:rolleyes: My point was that it will make a small but significant difference. That degree or two that the pipes in the vicinity would be heated by could make the difference between them freezing or not, or at least prevent the pipes from going too far below 0 to cause them to crack!

I cannot believe you "spouted" that at me when I never said it would thaw anything! I didn't come here to prove people wrong, I said it to clarify that a bloody bulb does make a small difference and that every little helps:mad:

Bubblehead, the fact I was getting to is that a 100W lightbulb will make a small difference. You put caveats on what I said but the point is still there. Outside temp can be below zero but pipes won't necessarily freeze. The amount of frozen pipes I heard of were nearly always after a night of temps below -6.

That's all I'm going to say in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bublehead

This put me asleep long ago.
    Yea apologies, bit of a drunken rant. Didn’t mean to go on :D
    You can spout all the physics you want an old school plumber will tell you that a light bulb positions in close prox to the water tank prevents it freezing it does not thaw it. It stops it in the first place.
    Probably, but it doesn’t mean the old school plumber is right. If you ask an oldschool barperson how to keep the fizz in champagne, they will probably tell you to put a spoon upside down in the bottle, another myth (google it, if you don’t believe me).
    It’s very easy for someone to swear something works after trying it, when they don’t factor in other things that can affect the result.
    How often does the weather get cold enough, for long enough in Dublin to freeze pipes? Very rarely, hence the recent panic. As To_be_confirmed pointed out, in most cases he knows of it was temperatures of at least -6. I do know a neighbour of a relative in Cork, who this year being away from their house, didn’t leave heating on. They put their fate in a lightbulb, and came home to water flowing down their stairs.
    Same here, it’s just my opinion, take it or leave it. I'm not going to continue spouting:D We shall just have to agree to disagree about the bulb :p Lagging the pipes and tank, only makes sense though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭bealfeirste5

My 81 year old mother is afraid to turn on the gas central heating as her water went off yesterday. Everyone on her terrace has no water. The downstairs toilet has no water but the upstairs one does. I'm guessing that this is coming from the tank in the attic while the downstairs one is coming from outside. How many litres approx does a tank hold? She's afraid to flush the upstairs toilet too much in case she uses all the water in the tank. Also, she's afraid to turn on the central heating as she thinks that the radiators are taking water from the tank and the house will blow up! Can somebody disprove this? :o She has a wood burning stove that she's using for heat but its only heating one room and she needs her warmth.

Your poor mother!

• Advertisement
Advertisement