Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy, Dart, seat, manners...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

dublinlady wrote: »
    I've had 2 babies and very uncomfortable pregnancies but I would rather stand in pain than ask someone if they would move seat - because how can I assume they don't have a physical disability or sickness which would mean it would cause then more discomfort! I just never presume...

I'd have no problem with someone asking me (as long as it was a "Very sorry, but I'm pregnant, any chance?" rather than a demand). Depending on how I was at the time I'd either apologise and explain that I can't, or I'd offer a seat sharing arrangement, where we could switch backwards and forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

dublinlady wrote: »
    I've had 2 babies and very uncomfortable pregnancies but I would rather stand in pain than ask someone if they would move seat - because how can I assume they don't have a physical disability or sickness which would mean it would cause then more discomfort! I just never presume...
    So for me - if very sore I would start looking around to see if anyone looks interested in being sympathetic and engage them with pitiful looks to encourage them to offer their seat if they want to but that way I haven't asked them straight out so there's less pressure.... That's very subtle but honestly I do agree that it's a tricky area for men and women now a days for fear if causing insult. If I was that bad I'd sit on the floor and then someone would most likely offer.... But at least I wouldn't presume it first....
    Plus I find the sitting after being offered a seat a little embarrassing... I hate attention!

They can always say that they're sorry the can't give up their seat because they have whatever condition. No harm no foul.
    I have had SPD for a fair bit of my pregnancy and on the odd occasions where I've been on public transport and it has been really bad I've just asked- now I've been close to tears with the pain on these occasions and the need to sit and get relief of some sort was just so strong that I couldn't have given a damn who was paying attention to me at that point.

None of us are really ever that interesting to other people anyway and they will return to their book, iPod, whatever within minutes of hearing or noticing you ask for a seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It is a tough call though.

I saw an 'old' (grey hair, but fit & well capable) lady in London demand a bus seat from a teenage guy.

He stood up but it became very quickly apparent that he was suffering from some kind of motor function issues and couldn't balance as the bus moved. He looked like he needed help so, I gave him my seat from about 8 rows back.

Meanwhile sprightly granny took over the seat beside her with her handbag and ignored other standing passengers!

Advertisement