Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TII Motorway Service Areas (MSA) Progress Thread

Options

Comments

I know - but look at the population of Birmingham and London combined - about 3 times the population of Ireland!

True, but it also has a lot to do with the fact that cars in the 50s when the requirements were written being less reliable etc. But the Irish motorways originally had no provision at all!

Here's an article from 2000 about MSAs across Europe. I wonder if anything has changed in the past 10 years?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/substandard-motorway-services-are-some-of-the-worst-in-europe-714444.html

You're mixing up quality and quantity, this discussion is more about whether they are there or not

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

People complaining about Service Areas along the M1 have obviously never driven it without knowing the surrounding area. When I first moved to Dublin, the only petrol stations I knew about were the ones at the airport and the one at Ballymascanlon near the border. I had absolutely no idea where to stop in between if I needed any petrol, and that was a slightly worrying thing for me, a person who finds it easy to navigate areas they don't know. Tourists or drivers without that capability would be completely screwed on the Belfast to Dublin journey, and a couple of Service areas are exactly what is needed to alleviate this. As far as I'm concerned, the possibility of food etc is just a luxury on the top, the petrol station (and possibly toilet!) is the important bit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If I can find the ten hours or so required to finish it, I've a part-finished site and domain name for a website detailing the nearest 24hr fuel stations to most motorway/HQDC exits in Ireland... not all that useful when driving but if you looked at it in advance of going on a trip it'd be handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

The service station on the Ballybrit Dual Carriageway in Galway put up signs when the M6 opened saying "last filling station until Dublin". A bit of a dramatic claim but there is some truth in it nonetheless in that you would have to exit of at a junction and go looking for a filling station elsewhere along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ok, but what if I want a warm meal. My only choice is a processed burger?
    No it's not. Before you come back with your reply why not research what existing hot foods Applegreen have available, where you can sit in their cafeateria and enjoy your meal.

locations-header.jpg
    What if I want a breakfast?
    There are plenty of options for breakfast. Again why not research what Applegreen currently provide.

I understand there is a chance someone will come back with some retort along the lines of what if I want x, y and z. Such is life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was in an Applegreen today to get my lunch, a little later than the standard lunch rush (it was 3.30). Hot food options were:

1: A prepacked but toasted on site panini

And, erm.... nothing else. Admittedly its not a fully specced out one - it appears to have been a Texaco or similar in recent history and its not even on their website yet but its branded inside / staff uniforms / own-brand products as Applegreen, not one of their discount brands. Also has the seating area for eating and the like.

One thing the UK MSAs have in their favour is that you can get the generic "something and chips" meal choices from the restuarant about 18 hours a day.

Also noticed this linked off Applegreen's website:

www.superstop.ie

Notice the mockup image at the top has Applegreen on the forecourt cover? I thought TOP were going to do the fuel and Applegreen the facilities block? Bit weird for them to be in the consortium if they're not actually selling the fuel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

since the new section of the motorway opened from kilculeen to carlow, you now drive from dublin to the far side of carlow, with the only stop on the naas dual carridgeway just after dublin. before the autumn, it''ll be the whole way to waterford, and the only way to stop is to re-enter castledermot or some other nightmare gridlock to take a break. this should be on the ranting and raving forum!!!

since the new section of the motorway opened from kilculeen to carlow, you now drive from dublin to the far side of carlow, with the only stop on the naas dual carridgeway just after dublin. before the autumn, it''ll be the whole way to waterford, and the only way to stop is to re-enter castledermot or some other nightmare gridlock to take a break. this should be on the ranting and raving forum!!!

Sure if you drive from Naas to Waterford as it is you only pass three petrol stations and a shop with pumps on the way down (and another station + another shop with pumps on the way back up, Thomastown's 1 way system). Its already a terribly poorly served route. Most of the large stations on it closed after the motorway was announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

KevR wrote: »
    The service station on the Ballybrit Dual Carriageway in Galway put up signs when the M6 opened saying "last filling station until Dublin". A bit of a dramatic claim but there is some truth in it nonetheless in that you would have to exit of at a junction and go looking for a filling station elsewhere along the way.

There was a sign heading out from Dublin on the N81 towards Tallaght (just before the M50) that stated last petrol before Newry. Now that reallyis pushing it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Cork to Newry will have only 1 station if the Newry bypass opens before the M1 MSAs and the last bit of the M8 is done quickly :D

Cork to Newry will have only 1 station if the Newry bypass opens before the M1 MSAs and the last bit of the M8 is done quickly :D

2 surely? Esso Beaufort and Esso Joels...

Both within 15km of each other though!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Really not happy about there only being a Burger King available.

I don't eat their rubbish and would appreciate a lot more choice.
    Absolute disgrace, so much for a Government agency promoting healthy eatiing.
    Who said there'd just be a Burger King? Petrol stations always have deli/hot food counters and sambos. Nothing wrong with those :)
    murpho999 wrote:
    Also, can't understand why the NRA should fund the building and then hand it to a private enterprise for them to cream the profits.
    Can someone clarify if this is the case? In particular, who will maintain ownership of the buildings when they are complete? Are the services operators just renting? In which case the NRA will be making money from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

spacetweek wrote: »
    Who said there'd just be a Burger King? Petrol stations always have deli/hot food counters and sambos. Nothing wrong with those :)

they usually have very limited opening times

spacetweek wrote: »
    Hopefully that's the case, they it will satisfy the majority of "customers" (for most, stopping at a service station is a necessity not a choice).
    As a regular commuter on the M4, I think that the chances of me needing to stop at the service station near Enfield are almost zero. If I'm going anywhere else in the country from Athlone I'm unlikely to pass any of them.

M1 Southbound from last Friday

Bad quality but you can see the steel structure taking place which will the service station and food court.

Drove by the M1 South today and the underground fuel reserve tans were being delivered.

Plus http://applegreen.ie/jobs/motorway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Good newsletter and the picture showing the whole site.

No heatlhy options on the MSA. I guess well have to settle for a whopper meal!

Canopy structures were up on M4 Eastbound last week.

• Advertisement

Here's the latest from Ballough.

First four photos taken looking north, the last one taken looking south with the Sugar Loaf and Poolbeg chimneys in the distance.

Just taken with a normal point and click camera from a distance. As a side note the area to the left of the third picture is the site of the new dump and also the uncompleted power line between Swords and Balbriggan can be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I've just emailed the NRA looking for an update on the other MSAs. I don't expect too much information from them, but it is great to see some almost ready. I note the summer 2010 newsletter shows pictures from last spring (probably late February or March), so you'd have to think the projects have all come on a long way since then. Still, the M6 and M8 badly need some services NOW.
    Nothing seems to be happening at M8 junction 8, where McDonalds and Topaz are supposed to building. The site looks like it hasn't been touched since last November.

Furet wrote: »
    I note the summer 2010 newsletter shows pictures from last spring (probably late February or March), so you'd have to think the projects have all come on a long way since then. Still, the M6 and M8 badly need some services NOW.
    They have started some landscaping over the the last two weeks on the M1 @ Ballough. Lots of soil on site being put into place, some of it to block views from the M1 onto the site which can only be a good thing to stop wandering eyes.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    They have started some landscaping over the the last two weeks on the M1 @ Ballough. Lots of soil on site being put into place, some of it to block views from the M1 onto the site which can only be a good thing to stop wandering eyes.

Those are probably bunds, mounds to block noise and to shield the MSA.

Furet wrote: »
    Those are probably bunds, mounds to block noise and to shield the MSA.
    Perhaps.

Added bonus so preventing onlookers peering in. The construction site attracts some about of breaking from passing motorists as it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Somebody (NRA, I suppose) has put up a few signs on the N7/M7/M8 indicating the lack of online services areas. There is one on the N7 just before Naas and one on the new M8 just after it starts.

I assume that would more or less indicate the there are no plans to provide any in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

As far as I know they arent. All the other MSAs have been canned. The PPPs will provide for one on the M20 (way too close to Cork btw) and one on the M11. No plans for anything on the M8 anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

Its a tough call i think. I spent many years driving trucks in the uk and went to these services daily. I think the food is only average as its either burger king or kfc:(. In saying that there is no where really nice between dublin and cork to stop now.

At least they have showers and good parking to keep everyone happy...

As far as I know they arent. All the other MSAs have been canned. The PPPs will provide for one on the M20 (way too close to Cork btw) and one on the M11. No plans for anything on the M8 anymore.

There are plans Chris, the MSA's haven't been cancelled, just indefinitely postponed. OK, people can scoff at that (for all the good that scoffing does), but they will be built eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

BluntGuy wrote: »

With an overpass just beside it, I would've thought it would be cheaper to build just one service station and two new slips. But it's great to see some progress on these.

Just looking at the proposed service area south of Kilcullen, have the bridge and slips (shown on page 9 of this map) already been built?? I'm not sure they have

Advertisement