Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Tip or Not to Tip?

Options
  • 24-03-2012 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

I'm not stingy and when I see a price for a service, if I want that service I don't mind paying it. However, there are certain sectors where we are supposed to pay the standard fee plus extras eg meals out, taxis, hair dressing etc. This annoys me. I worked in Supermaces and never got a tip and neither was it expected. I did my work, got my pay and left. When I worked in more "high end" restaurants, I didn't do anymore work but it was expected that a big tip would be left (not by me, I worked in one restaurant where they automatically added a 15% service charge to the bill :eek: this was where dinner for two would set you back between £80-£100).

In a country which has strict rules about minimum wage, is tipping acceptable/something you feel obliged to do in certain places?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Tipping is an american thing and serves no other purpose than to allow restaurant owners get away with paying feck all to their staff on quiet nights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Getting a tip is better than sex

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I've never tipped my hairdresser:confused: Will normally leave a small tip in a resturant and round up taxi fares to the nearest dollar but that's it. I always get confused though when I go to fancier hotels (not that it happens very often!) and they help me up with my bags whether I should tip or not. I think 'yes' but then handing over a euro seems stingy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

everytime i go out i give the server a teabag and say 'here, have a drink on me'

thanks, tommy cooper

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Of course one tips.

One must, mustn't one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Laserhead

It's much easier to tip in a country that has $1 notes...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Nope don't tip.

Like the op, I worked in a supermarket, got my wages and not a penny extra. Nor did I expect to

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Tip if you're pleased with service in a restaurant, which is usually the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Nope don't tip.

Like the op, I worked in a supermarket, got my wages and not a penny extra. Nor did I expect to

Why would you get a tip in a supermarket? :confused:

In restaurants (some), you get a level of service from your waiter/waitress. They're waiting on you. Yes, it's their job, but it's not necessarily their job to go 'above and beyond' with service and if they do, I leave a nice tip.

Also you've much more interaction with your waiter/waitress than you would someone at a checkout for example. It's more personal.

The better you tip, the better you're looked after in places - not saying it's a reason to tip necessarily, because you may not care, but it's true.

I find it incredibly stingy of people not to tip, even if their getting good service.

If the service is bad, I'll leave change or maybe nothing at all though.

The only reason that tipping is such a big thing in America is because they don't necessarily have a minimum wage as such, so the only way they survive is through money left by tippers. Over here, our minimum wage is such that it is fairly easy to survive. So, the only way I'd tip somebody is if they go above and beyond their normal job and offer a great service. I won't tip just for the sake of tipping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Why would you get a tip in a supermarket? :confused:

In restaurants (some), you get a level of service from your waiter/waitress. They're waiting on you. Yes, it's their job, but it's not necessarily their job to go 'above and beyond' with service and if they do, I leave a nice tip.

Also you've much more interaction with your waiter/waitress than you would someone at a checkout for example. It's more personal.

The better you tip, the better you're looked after in places - not saying it's a reason to tip necessarily, because you may not care, but it's true.

I find it incredibly stingy of people not to tip, even if their getting good service.

If the service is bad, I'll leave change or maybe nothing at all though.

I didn't get tipped!! In a restaurant you have an interaction for maybe an hour and half - two hours with a table. You may never see them again. But in a supermarket, you see the same people day in, day out. That's a little more personal, plus you are handling all their 'intimate items'!

My doctor gives me a smear, pretty personal, and a good service, but I don't tip him!

I'm already paying for the service I'm receiving or the items I'm purchasing, I don't expect to have to pay the person who is giving it to me, that's their bosses job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

mel.b wrote: »
    I've never tipped my hairdresser:confused: Will normally leave a small tip in a resturant and round up taxi fares to the nearest dollar but that's it. I always get confused though when I go to fancier hotels (not that it happens very often!) and they help me up with my bags whether I should tip or not. I think 'yes' but then handing over a euro seems stingy!

this comment belongs in the stingy people doing stingy things thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I always tip in a restaurant, these people are cooking for me and the waitress is serving it. I tip my hairdresser because she is providing a service to me, same with taxi. I might not agree with the principle but it's not the staffs fault.
    I know plenty of people who work in catering and it's not the easiest job and they appreciate the tips.

I didn't get tipped!! In a restaurant you have an interaction for maybe an hour and half - two hours with a table. You may never see them again. But in a supermarket, you see the same people day in, day out. That's a little more personal, plus you are handling all their 'intimate items'!

My doctor gives me a smear, pretty personal, and a good service, but I don't tip him!

I'm already paying for the service I'm receiving or the items I'm purchasing, I don't expect to have to pay the person who is giving it to me, that's their bosses job

I know you didn't. 'I didn't get tipped working in a supermarket'? And I'm asking, why would someone tip you in that scenario??

I've been going to a supermarket 3 times a week for years - the same one, and I or anyone I know has never had the same experience you get in a restaurant. Those people on checkouts encounter 100's of people a day. They don't sit there and chat to everyone!

A waiter or waitress you get to know a bit over the course of an entire meal. And there's always general chit chat.

I won't even attempt to argue your comment on the smear test as it's silly. Surely it's not beyond comprehension, the difference in context of what's personal about an encounter with a waiter and a doctor?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭shancoduff

I don't eat in restaurants very often and I'm usually with a big group. If they manage to satisfy a table of ten with timely and high standard meals for all, then I think they should get a service charge because that isn't easy, but a table for two is not that hard to get right, so I wouldn't bother with a tip in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

restaurant or cafe/coffee shop i always tip them a couple of quid. working minim wage and standing on your feet sucks I've been there done that got the t-shirt... :)

so i always tip any were from 2 euros to 10... depending where over been and what over been....

shancoduff wrote: »
    I don't eat in restaurants very often and I'm usually with a big group. If they manage to satisfy a table of ten with timely and high standard meals for all, then I think they should get a service charge because that isn't easy, but a table for two is not that hard to get right, so I wouldn't bother with a tip in that case.

You're not the only table of two there that he/she is waiting on. They could be waiting on a large group and two or three other tables as well as yours and getting yours right all the while attending to everything else that has to be done deserves a tip in my opinion.

Bit of a narrow view of things you have there.

I would give a tip even If I'm on my own. Some staff rely on tips at the end of the week. I know it's not up to us to support their wages but still a few euro is still appreciated.
    I would expect a table of ten to give at least €2 each. That's a good tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭shancoduff

You're not the only table of two there that he/she is waiting on. They could be waiting on a large group and two or three other tables as well as yours and getting yours right all the while attending to everything else that has to be done deserves a tip in my opinion.

Bit of a narrow view of things you have there.

Where I worked, the tips were divided among the kitchen staff and those on the floor. So to me, and I admit it may not be the case in most other places, you're tipping the quality of the food and not just the person that puts the food on your table. What I mean is getting the timing right etc for ten people is a lot harder than for two and I'm sure you'll agree with that.

So it probably is a narrow view if the service charge is given primarily to servers, is that the case in most places? Open to correction!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

as a past restaurant worker, i only tip, if the waiter/ess is friendly and helpful, other wise no dice,
    it is for the waiting staff this tip is for they also share with kitchen, but i know of one place where the owner has his hand in the tip jar, so i would not go there even for a penny bar. lousy mean, nasty, yet he runs a restaurant in my town that dinner is above fifty a head, and is a top end restaurant, staff se little of the tips in his joint

• Advertisement

Where I worked, the tips were divided among the kitchen staff and those on the floor. So to me, and I admit it may not be the case in most other places, you're tipping the quality of the food and not just the person that puts the food on your table. What I mean is getting the timing right etc for ten people is a lot harder than for two and I'm sure you'll agree with that.

So it probably is a narrow view if the service charge is given primarily to servers, is that the case in most places? Open to correction!

I think it's only the service staff who get it in most places or the ones I know anyway. I always think this is unfair on the kitchen staff, they are cooking it after all but then they are paid more than the waiter/waitress.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Usally do tip in a restrarant, and the pizza delevery fella if have any change.

I used to work in a hotel bar, and the tips really made up the wages, some times matched them or more. Working the bar and floor we kept all out own tips, the odd time I done drinks in the restrarant they were split with the waiting staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I know you didn't. 'I didn't get tipped working in a supermarket'? And I'm asking, why would someone tip you in that scenario??

I've been going to a supermarket 3 times a week for years - the same one, and I or anyone I know has never had the same experience you get in a restaurant. Those people on checkouts encounter 100's of people a day. They don't sit there and chat to everyone!

A waiter or waitress you get to know a bit over the course of an entire meal. And there's always general chit chat.

I've yet to come across an argument that fully convinces me as to why we should tip. Having said that, I do tip, I just have no idea why. The idea that you're tipping someone for 'getting to know you over the course of an entire meal'... is that by talking to you and getting your order? And people at checkout counters don't make small-talk with people? Bar the Lidl on Thomas Street, most of even the larger supermarkets make small talk with you. Which is impressive as the staff aren't even expecting a tip.

I would think the answer might be giving extra money for someone going out of their way to make your experience that bit more enjoyable. Still doesn't answer why people give to certain workers unthinkingly while other workers - who might also go out of their way for you - would never get a tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

No I never tip, its part of the Yanklands terrorist culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

What really pisses me off is those tips jars you see in frickin sandwich bars/borderline newsagents.

Is it just because it's food? Like other posters have mentioned there are far more icky/deserving/intimate jobs and we have minimum wage so tip jars and the likes are just down to chancers.

It's tricky enough being a consumer without an extra layer of confusion on top. Imagine having to shop in the US with prices all pre-tax and having to work it out!

Recession saved us from making this a celtic tiger born tradition. We're bloody lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

You know in gardening where you get a weed control problem, a weed that just reappears whatever you spray on it or do to it....

I reckon tipping threads are AH's weed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Of course one tips.

One must, mustn't one?

I will ask my man, one never carries money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

hondasam wrote: »
    I always tip in a restaurant, these people are cooking for me and the waitress is serving it. I tip my hairdresser because she is providing a service to me, same with taxi.
    But you're already paying for the service in your bill. There is a set fare/price for a taxi, hairdresser and restaurant bill. The cost of a haircut doesn't just cover shampoo, water and towels and scissors - it pays the hairdresser as well.
    hondasam wrote: »
    I might not agree with the principle but it's not the staffs fault.
    I know plenty of people who work in catering and it's not the easiest job and they appreciate the tips.

I generally tip as well, and I know that they're usually appreciated (who doesn't like free money), but the majority of people expect that their wages are payment for the service provided. Not that you get paid for turning up, and then get paid again for doing anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The only reason that tipping is such a big thing in America is because they don't necessarily have a minimum wage as such, so the only way they survive is through money left by tippers. Over here, our minimum wage is such that it is fairly easy to survive. So, the only way I'd tip somebody is if they go above and beyond their normal job and offer a great service. I won't tip just for the sake of tipping.

That very much depends on the State. Calfornia have a tipping minimum of like $2.50 and then if the tips don't make up around $9 the place of work has to sort it out.

Washington State has no tipping minimum, their minimum wage is simply $8.55 no matter what and people will tip just as much there.

Advertisement