Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Launch of new Cork Public Bikes Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

I got my welcome pack today.
    A letter with the card on it and two leaflets with the terms and conditions and a guide to the scheme and the charges.
    The card itself doesn't seem to have any chip or magnetic strip, just my name and the pin number. I assume that's all I need.

No info on the start date but the Examiner says not all the stations will be operational by December 18th.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/bike-stations-not-ready-for-launch-301616.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭opus

I saw the €5 on my last credit card bill but no welcome pack as yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Pitcairn wrote: »
    The card itself doesn't seem to have any chip or magnetic strip, just my name and the pin number. I assume that's all I need.
    I'd imagine they have rfid chips in them.

Knasher wrote: »
    I'd imagine they have rfid chips in them.

I just downloaded a NFC app and touched it off my card and it did detect a NFC tag so I assume we will have to touch the card off the terminal to use the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

is it a credit card size or key fob - key fob would be great, stick it on your keys and forget about it

• Advertisement

Credit card. But because it's NFC hopefully they can upgrade it so we can just use our phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

okedoke wrote: »
    is it a credit card size or key fob - key fob would be great, stick it on your keys and forget about it

Credit card size

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Is it €5 for the year or is it €5 for lets say until the end of 2014?

I would really like to believe they are going to get this up and running but I hear on the radio again there are going to be more delays. I haven't even seen any of the bikes yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Milly33 wrote: »

I would really like to believe they are going to get this up and running but I hear on the radio again there are going to be more delays. I haven't even seen any of the bikes yet

It was pretty much the same situation in Limerick, but in the end it was mostly up and running on time. Work has not been commenced on some stations though and I'd imagine that it will be the same in Cork.

mmmm id like to see it happen but I have little to no faith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Definitely be great if the functionality could be ported to phones, in a very short space of time I've gone from having 0 to 3 RFID cards in my wallet, they don't interfere with each other YET but I'd like to make the transition to the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The membership is good for 365 days after signing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

If you registered for the Cork scheme, your card will be valid until the 17th of December 2015.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Adrian J Lynch

I agree a map would be nice

Oh ok I see thank you, for some reason I had picked up that it was just until the end of the year and was thinking sure that isn't a good deal haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Had a go off one of the bikes earlier.They're great for pulling skidders.I thought they'd be newer looking.

HIGH-NELLY-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

They have a phone app, so you can see what bikes are at each station, and if there are free spots to drop a bike off. You can also create favourite locations etc

Where are these bikes..Went into town last Saturday and didn't see any and last night we went in too and made a note to myself to look out for them but didn't see any

Where are these bikes..Went into town last Saturday and didn't see any and last night we went in too and made a note to myself to look out for them but didn't see any

None of the bikes or the Coke Zero branding is in place yet. All I have seen is the concrete bases, the docking terminals for the bikes and the card terminals.
    There are a good few of them around, outside Square Deal, near gates to UCC; outside Pres, at the back of Bishop Lucey Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,797 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Had a go off one of the bikes earlier.They're great for pulling skidders.I thought they'd be newer looking.

HIGH-NELLY-2.jpg

What do you expect, some NASA space age, carbon fibre racing bike? These are supposed to be durable bikes for all shapes/sizes for city centre plodding.

• Advertisement

Ahh I see I see, I thought by the way people were talking there were some out there..

Got my card in the post yesterday.

Cork-Station-Locations-Sites-in-Green-to-Go-Live-on-18th-December-Sites-in-Red-to-go-live-in-January-February.jpg

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/12/15/bike-rental-scheme-to-start-this-week/

Here's a map from the Echo of 15 of 31 docking stations the NTA say will be live from Thursday with the remainder to be done in New Year. The green points are the ones going live.

great to see it up and running. Pity the stations right in the City Centre are not opening this week (minor quibble in the scheme of things) but it will be a fantastic addition to the city I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I only hope the cycling infrastructure will improve also. Cycling in Cork can be taking your life into your hands, very aggressive drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

cgcsb wrote: »
    I only hope the cycling infrastructure will improve also. Cycling in Cork can be taking your life into your hands, very aggressive drivers.
    It's not just some drivers. Cyclists are also responsible.
    Can't understand how people are cycling against traffic in the city, wearing dark clothes and no lights.
    Some cyclists don't appear to care for their own well being.

I think the cycling infrastructure in the city has improved dramatically in the last 2/3 years or so. Lots of bike lanes and bike racks around town and there seems to be more people cycling. Hopefully these facilities will be maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Im not being smart here, but cyclists need to obey the rules of the road as well. ie traffic lights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

oh no, not another drivers vs cyclists argument :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dbu wrote: »
    Im not being smart here, but cyclists need to obey the rules of the road as well. ie traffic lights

Ok.
    I'm a motorist, a pedestrian and a sometimes cyclist.
    When I cycle, I'm concerned about, primarily keeping myself safe. I'm also concerned that I don't force motorists to make dangerous evasive manoeuvres. I also avoid hindering or endangering pedestrians.
    What I couldn't give a flying toss about is motorists getting upset because they don't like what I do on the roads.
    Why do motorists care if a cyclist safely goes through a red light? Really. Why?
    I often find that it is far safer to break a light than to wait to go with all the impatient traffic on the green.
    Often, in traffic, I will take a central lane position if I'm traveling at the same speed as the traffic. I feel safer there where I can't be edged into other traffic, I'm not obstructing anyone and I don't care if it annoys motorists.

When driving, I rarely see cyclists putting themselves or others in danger. Why would i care if the odd cyclist breaks a red light as long as no one is in danger? It would just be spite, really.
    I see motorists do stupid, annoying and dangerous things every time I drive. Every time. Breaking red lights in a 1 ton box doing 50kmph, straight through pedestrian crossings is a particular annoyance of mine. It's only a matter of time before a pedestrian is killed at a crossing.

Of course there are stupid and dangerous cyclists out there. I know someone who was badly run over by a bike - on the footpath!
    Plenty of stupid pedestrians around too.

Motorists, due to their potentially lethal nature, have a big responsibility for all road user's safety. I constantly see this responsibility being treated with total disdain.

For those upset at cyclists safely breaking lights:get over yourselves or get a bike!

Advertisement