Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I passed by earlier and saw that the opening times are indeed 7 am to 10 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

love the look of it

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭chaoskitten_DF

By chance, ended up going there tonight and I really like it.
    Its nice and bright and the baristas are lovely.
    Thank god for its opening times too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Ger89

Went there yesterday and, though I hate being so negative, I found the experience appalling. Had an Americano which came served in a mug and it tasted like the watery coffee served up in canteens in the 1980s. Even Costa's Americano is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

It seems to be very popular though. I pass by nearly every day and I've yet to see the place less than half full. Most times it's packed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I called in there yesterday on my break from work. The place is very nicely decorated. I'll admit that I'm more of a tea person but coffee tasted fine to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I hope the other cafes open later. It's nuts that you can't get a coffee after 6 in Cork. Great to be able to call in after work!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Looks like some sort of planning issue with the cafe on Princes Street. Sounds like the building was designated for a retail outlet not a cafe/restaurant. As Laura McGonigle says in the quotes, it's great to see a vacant unit filled but, big or small, companies have to have the proper planning permission. Hopefully all that happens is a slap on the wrist fine to add to the city coffers and common sense will prevail.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/starbucks-on-princes-street-does-not-meet-planning-requirement/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,424 ✭✭✭TheChizler

This happened after a complaint was made. I wonder who it was! Somehow I doubt the complainant is doing it to uphold the integrity of the planning system.

it would seem odd that they wouldn't have applied for the correct planning before opening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

an oversight I would imagine. Does seem strange that they wouldnt be aware of the planning rules in respect to food and beverage service.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

Lack of respect for the planning laws in this country and lack of enforcement from city hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭shnaek

Indeed. The excellent planning record of Irish councils must not only be obeyed but respected.

I'll get my coat...

Cork's actually fairly strict about planning.
    Compare Cork City to the sprawling mess of West Dublin or to Galway. Cork's still got a definite green belt and distinct satellite towns like Blarney, Ballincollig, Carrigaline, Midleton etc

If we'd Dublin or Galway planning they'd have sprawled put from Wilton to Ballincollig rather than building out Ballincollig as a dense town.

Bit of a huge error by starbucks. It would be a shame to see the shop empty tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

an oversight I would imagine. Does seem strange that they wouldnt be aware of the planning rules in respect to food and beverage service.

They definitely would have known it was zoned retail. I'd read that somewhere when it was first announced. I had thought it was on this thread but i can't find it now. Very surprised they didn't apply for change of usage before opening but I hope they can sort it out and stay open.

It's surprising the City Council didn't spot it as you can be certain they've calculated rates for the premises!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Has there been any more talk/news about the planning screwup?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Starbucks opened yesterday in Opera Lane in the Queen Anne building according to their Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

ongarboy wrote: »
    Starbucks opened yesterday in Opera Lane in the Queen Anne building according to their Facebook page.

Ya I was in there. Its nice setup in there but personally I think its a shame to see a big MNC in such a historical building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

ongarboy wrote: »

Looks like they didn't bother with planning permission for this building either.

Once is an oversight, twice is a policy it seems.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/starbucks-in-historical-cork-building-causes-concern-1.2242983

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Looks like they didn't bother with planning permission for this building either.

Once is an oversight, twice is a policy it seems.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/starbucks-in-historical-cork-building-causes-concern-1.2242983

what the hell are the city council doing about this? They seem to have no problem chasing down the small independent retailers when it comes to rates etc but they appear to be idling when something like this happens?

If this building is of such historical importance how on earth did Starbucks get to where they are without some council interference up to now?

To be honest the historical importance disappeared when it was redeveloped into a shop as part of opera lane.

There's very little "integrity" left to maintain.

It's been a funky clothing outlet for about 5 years without any major protest.

It's basically a facade of a house, let's not get carried away entirely.

I actually think it looks better as a coffee shop and the decor is fairly nice.

As much as I dislike corporate tax avoiders, these kinds of places are fairly essential to the fabric of a modern city.

Having coffee venues open late ish is going to keep the city alive much later into the evenings too.

I found Cork very poor for an after work coffee. Most of the local places still close ridiculously early. Hopefully this might wake a few of them up to the fact that there's an evening time market.

Costa also opened all over the place without any vitriolic anti-corporate response.

As long as Starbucks doesn't open 2 stores on every street like they did in parts of London and the U.S., I'm not really seeing it as any issue.

The change of use thing is a bit weird though. I'd like to know why that's happening ...

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭chaoskitten_DF

Does anyone find the drinks in the Princes' Street cafe to be much weaker and poorer quality compared to other Starbucks? (I know Starbucks isn't the best but the Chai Lattes I've had and the coffee my friends have got in the new Cork one is pretty dreadful and weak compared to any of the Dublin locations).

Does anyone find the drinks in the Princes' Street cafe to be much weaker and poorer quality compared to other Starbucks? (I know Starbucks isn't the best but the Chai Lattes I've had and the coffee my friends have got in the new Cork one is pretty dreadful and weak compared to any of the Dublin locations).

You should probably let them know directly as that's sounds like they've the recipe wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Ger89

Interesting your suggestion that Starbucks elsewhere produces better coffee! I had a dreadful watery Americano, served in a mug, in Princes Street when it opened. Had never been to any Starbucks previously and couldn't understand how they survive offering that quality...

Of the mega-chains, I actually think Costa serves much better coffee.

However, there's clearly something not quite right with what's being served in Paul Street. It shouldn't be that watery.

Starbucks had to make their coffees stronger in Europe as a few years ago they noted that about 60% of customers were asking for extra shots in the UK and elsewhere.

The French were calling it "le jus de chaussette" (Sock juice)

Ger89 wrote: »
    I had a dreadful watery Americano, served in a mug

what else would an Americano be served in? Considering it's a drink made up by the coffee industry to satisfy the American appetite for everything big.
    Before that it was all small cups and espressos.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

what else would an Americano be served in? Considering it's a drink made up by the coffee industry to satisfy the American appetite for everything big.
    Before that it was all small cups and espressos.

A standard americano should be a single shot topped up with hot water in a cup, not a mug.

A standard americano should be a single shot topped up with hot water in a cup, not a mug.

ah OK, I wasn't aware, thanks.

• Advertisement

ah OK, I wasn't aware, thanks.

That's why a Starbucks one is several shots.

If you want a good coffee in one of those chains order a flat white.

Advertisement