Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to make a program

Options
  • 14-08-2013 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Im at a stage where i'm interested to how a program is written, is there some kind of formula? or certain way of doing it?

Ive read a few post which mention push vs pull ratio, and quad/hip dominance.

the reason id like to learn is I have program ive been on for a while, but i have a few new exercises id like to be doing so I want to be able write my own program to fit them in, but still with the same goals and simplicity.

Currently I am doing an a/b 3x5 or 3x8-10
    A
    Squat/bench/pendlay row/Dumbbell press/pullover/cuban rotation/dumbbell curl/ABS
    B
    Squat (Front Squat)/Inc bench/deadlift/overhead press/Lat pull down/skull crusher/face pull/ABS

Id like to add in assisted dips/assisted pull ups/seated cable rows/ (possibly some more upper back exercises

But im not sure where is the best place to add them.

Considering something got from SS wiki:
    Squat/bench/deadlift/dips/rows/abs
    -
    squat/overhead press/power clean/pull ups/abs

And replacing the power clean with seated rows as i'm at a ben dunnes and you cant really clean properly there. (plus, ive never done them so I will wait til I learn from a coach before I try)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Break your days up

Mon - > Chest & Tri

Wed - > Bi $ Back

Fri -> Legs & Shoulders

You can work on the Abs 3 times a week as well Mon, Wed, Fri.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Cork24 wrote: »
    Break your days up

Mon - > Chest & Tri

Wed - > Bi $ Back

Fri -> Legs & Shoulders

You can work on the Abs 3 times a week as well Mon, Wed, Fri.

Trying to stick to full body stuff rather than breaking them up into isolation.
    Squatting every day will be a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

This is a good series of articles on program design:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_design_a_damn_good_program_part_1

That said its better for someone of your level to just follow a set template and stick to it for a few months at least.

This is a good series of articles on program design:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_design_a_damn_good_program_part_1

That said its better for someone of your level to just follow a set template and stick to it for a few months at least.

Yes, im on a program from a trainer, but I need to add in some work from a physio.

Im not due to see either for a good few weeks. So im trying to learn how I can, if i can, mix my rehab with my workout.

plus, its getting interesting to have conversations with trainers about what is working in a program. One I met was questioning the use of the bicep curls on my day A. So i thought id go about learning how to write one myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

A1) knee dominant lower 3-5 x 6-12
    A2) upper pull - vertical one day, horizontal the next 3-5 x 6-12
    B1) hip dominant lower 3-5 x 8-15
    B2) upper push - vertical one day, horizontal the next 3-5 x 8-15
    C) conditioning/carry

Switch the order of knee and hip dominants on day 2.

Plug, play, repeat.

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    C) conditioning/carry

Plug, play, repeat.

can you pad that with exercise examples?
    is it 3 days over 2 weeks?
    week 1 being a1/b1/c and week 2 being a2/b2/c

Or is it over one week
    a1+a2/b1+b2/c?

So it would be squat, pull up/Rows
    dead lift OH press/bench
    conditioning

--

Reading the article on tnation, the main goal is strength, followed by flexibility no interest in size or fat loss.
    So it would ideally be 3 on four off. maybe one or 2 days for light rehab work or conditioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

If you look up the West Side for Skinny Bastards workouts, they give you a template that has a lot of options. I've used it in the past while incorporating exercises given to me by a physio.

can you pad that with exercise examples?
    is it 3 days over 2 weeks?
    week 1 being a1/b1/c and week 2 being a2/b2/c

Or is it over one week
    a1+a2/b1+b2/c?

So it would be squat, pull up/Rows
    dead lift OH press/bench
    conditioning

--

Reading the article on tnation, the main goal is strength, followed by flexibility no interest in size or fat loss.
    So it would ideally be 3 on four off. maybe one or 2 days for light rehab work or conditioning.

No. I get paid quite a bit by a lot of people to do jsut that. He asked for a template. He got it.

Theres loads on jameshanley.ie with examples if you want to go searching. Or just google vertical/horizontal push/pull optinos.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭magotch07

C) conditioning/carry

Plug, play, repeat.

very similar to the program i am doing in NADA in blanch

No. I get paid quite a bit by a lot of people to do jsut that. He asked for a template. He got it.

Theres loads on jameshanley.ie with examples if you want to go searching. Or just google vertical/horizontal push/pull optinos.

the question is how to go about doing it. not can I have a template.

• Advertisement

magotch07 wrote: »
    very similar to the program i am doing in NADA in blanch

It's very Boyle-esque tbh
    the question is how to go about doing it. not can I have a template.

"Im at a stage where i'm interested to how a program is written, is there some kind of formula? or certain way of doing it? "

Put exercises into the template. Program to ensure balance. You do that with a template, or "formula" which fulfils those requirements.

It's very Boyle-esque tbh

"Im at a stage where i'm interested to how a program is written, is there some kind of formula? or certain way of doing it? "

Put exercises into the template. Program to ensure balance. You do that with a template, or "formula" which fulfils those requirements.

creating the "template" is the part that is "interesting" "me".

Rather than taking an existing template from online.
    actually, don't bother, emmets article on tnation seems to be giving most of the info to satisfy my curiosity, you can go back to charging people "quite a bit" to "fill" out a "template".

Advertisement