Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Knee's in during wide stance squatting?

• 12-08-2013 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Well I was looking up something or other on youtube this morning and came across this video. I would have assumed that this is poor advice due to the high volume of people who have a valgus presentation, either compensated or non compensated.

Thoughts please??:)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If you need to have your knees in to get thru the sticking point, why would you start in a position that had you outside of that range?

****'s cray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Well I was looking up something or other on youtube this morning and came across this video. I would have assumed that this is poor advice due to the high volume of people who have a valgus presentation, either compensated or non compensated.

Thoughts please??:)

you don't stop eating steak because the baby cant chew it.

giving advice like this, that can cause the people who it is not intended for to make further errors, does not make it bad advice.
    People should know when they can take information like this and use it correctly or when it does not apply to them.

giving advice like this, that can cause the people who it is not intended for to make further errors, does not make it bad advice.
    People should know when they can take information like this and use it correctly or when it does not apply to them.

True. It's one of those things that if you get it, it makes perfect sense. And if you don't, you rip your knees apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Hanley wrote: »
    True. It's one of those things that if you get it, it makes perfect sense. And if you don't, you rip your knees apart.

first thing I did was say its not for me, so ill not use it.

The internet wont see it like that, it will be ripped apart as either broscience or being incorrect, someone will explode their kneecap doing it wrong and the poor misunderstood dude who made the video will have to delete his online profile, get facial reconstruction and move to Guam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

I get what you mean regarding specicifity but what do you think of using the adductors/internal rotators at the end of rang in wide stance squatting?

I'm no expert, but it seems to go against everything I have been taught and what I teach other people to do. Now just cause its different doesn't automatically mean its bad. I'm interested in discussing it/theory's behind it.

• Advertisement

calfmuscle wrote: »
    I get what you mean regarding specicifity but what do you think of using the adductors/internal rotators at the end of rang in wide stance squatting?

I'm no expert, but it seems to go against everything I have been taught and what I teach other people to do. Now just cause its different doesn't automatically mean its bad. I'm interested in discussing it/theory's behind it.

He's biasing more quad when he does it.

But remember, some of the adductor group also act as hip extensors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

After watching that video I wonder if that guy go out of bed and said to himself "How can I f*ck with the most amount of people today" This is trolling at its finest, makes perfect sense easy to implement, some people will get it or already use it so will back it up as great but most people who will try this will get trolled heavy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

If you look at all the strongest squatters out there you'll see a diverse range of styles built up by making small adjustments to their setup at each stage of the lift as they've developed over years.

Many of these adjustments may seem to go against conventional wisdom with regard to squatting technique but because everyone is put together differently and benefit differently from little tweaks over the years the end products look completely different.

As a personal example of adopting something usually regarded as poor technique and turning it to your advantage, by rounding my lower back in the squat I was able to add 50kg to it in the course of a year (225kg - 272.5kg less whatever carryover I got from adopting knee wraps). Obviously I didn't just make this tweek and BOOM... GainZZZ! It just allowed me to progress in training.

Now under no circumstances would I suggest to a beginner to round their lower back in the squat, not unless I'd just set up my own wheelchair manufacturing business. It just allowed me to engage different muscles that then got stronger and catapulted my squat upwards.

Dan Green is on course to possibly become one of the greatest of all time, he's a rare breed of lean powerlifter who pulls sumo and squats quite wide without wearing gear. This is just his way of squatting.

This really isn't a beginners tip, it's a possible suggestion for an already proficient squatter.

Squatting is a bit like driving a golf ball, if you do enough of it at a high enough level you'll probably end up tweaking it quite a bit to keep progressing.

Advertisement