Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boyfriend with really bad vomiting bug? HELP

• 10-08-2013 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I live with my boyfriend, he's almost 21 years old and on Tuesday night he started feeling ill and had a temperature, by Wednesday he was puking on the hour and hadnt eaten since the night before Its now 10pm Saturday and his condition is worse. He has barely slept in 3 nights, barely eaten anything except a few bits of toast when hes hyped up on paracetamol. Yesterday he seemed a bit better but then just went back to puking on the hour and he also has a bad case of diarrhea. I went to the chemist yesterday, they gave me Arret, Dioralyte and Motillium fast melts. He can drink the Dioralyte sometimes but pukes about 20 mintues afterwards. He feels a bit better after paracetamol but Im really worried because I originally thought it was just a 24 hour bug or food poisoning. We don't have alot of money so we were putting off going to the doctor or hospital.
    He's very weak and cant eat or sleep, he doesnt have any sinus problems or a stuffed nose just a headache, fatigue, a bit of a fever, diarrhea and vomiting.
    I'm basically asking is this something to be really worried about or might it pass?
    Please post any tips that might help! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

Can't give medical advice on boards but seriously go to the nearest hospital, if I remember right the a&e charge is €100 but you can pay that after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

If anyone has been sick with fever vomiting etc for as long as you say I would definitely seek proper medical care, dehydration can be really dangerous... A good way to see is he very dehydrated is to pinch the skin up on the back of the hand, if the skin stays pinched he is very dehydrated and needs to seek medical attention... The fact he is holding the dio drink for twenty minutes is good. No one can give you medical advice here but go with your gut instinct and forget about the money if that's what's stopping you from seeking medical attention, they will still treat even if you are destitute as they have a moral obligation to do so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I can't fathom how somebody would go to the internet before they would go to a doctor with something that sounds so serious.

Get to a doctor or hospital. Now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

From what you have described your partner should be seen by a doctor.
    I would ring caredoc or whatever your local out of hours GP service is. Describe the entire situation to the nurse and follow their advice.
    As far as I'm aware, if the out of hours GP service refers you to A&E it is free. The nurse you speak to should be able to explain all of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Love2u

I live with my boyfriend, he's almost 21 years old and on Tuesday night he started feeling ill and had a temperature, by Wednesday he was puking on the hour and hadnt eaten since the night before Its now 10pm Saturday and his condition is worse. He has barely slept in 3 nights, barely eaten anything except a few bits of toast when hes hyped up on paracetamol. Yesterday he seemed a bit better but then just went back to puking on the hour and he also has a bad case of diarrhea. I went to the chemist yesterday, they gave me Arret, Dioralyte and Motillium fast melts. He can drink the Dioralyte sometimes but pukes about 20 mintues afterwards. He feels a bit better after paracetamol but Im really worried because I originally thought it was just a 24 hour bug or food poisoning. We don't have alot of money so we were putting off going to the doctor or hospital.
    He's very weak and cant eat or sleep, he doesnt have any sinus problems or a stuffed nose just a headache, fatigue, a bit of a fever, diarrhea and vomiting.
    I'm basically asking is this something to be really worried about or might it pass?
    Please post any tips that might help! Thanks!

You could call the doctor whos on call and he/she can give you a letter to go A&E. The vomiting seems to be going on too long to ignore it. Good luck, hope he's gets well soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Love2u

I can't fathom how somebody would go to the internet before they would go to a doctor with something that sounds so serious.

Get to a doctor or hospital. Now.

They are young and probably don't know what to do!!?? But a doctor is needed at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ChicagoThighs

I cant find an out of hours doctor, and we have no cash for a taxi to A&E. Please don't be so judgmental I went to a pharmacy only yesterday and after explaining everything the woman told me that he'd be okay after spending 30 euro on meds so I was obviously going to wait at least a day before bringing him to hospital. We will just get a lift in the morning, thanks everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

I cant find an out of hours doctor, and we have no cash for a taxi to A&E. Please don't be so judgmental I went to a pharmacy only yesterday and after explaining everything the woman told me that he'd be okay after spending 30 euro on meds so I was obviously going to wait at least a day before bringing him to hospital. We will just get a lift in the morning, thanks everyone.
    What area of the country are you in? Town area, no specific address.
    The HSE website for your area should list a free phone number for an out of hours GP service.
    If not try ringing local GP surgeries, their answering phones should give out the number. Or your local hospitals A&E dept could give it to you if you call them.

There is no need to panic but I wouldn't leave this til Monday.

EDIT: find your area on this list http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/3/outofhours/GPOOH.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

No medical advice allowed on the forum

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement