Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saul of Tarsus. The first heretic?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

James the brother of John (or James the son of Zebedee) was the first of the apostles to be martyred under King Herod (Acts 12:2).

James the brother of Jesus was a prominent leader in the Jerusalem Church.

When Stephen is stoned and his followers persecuted and run out of Jerusalem the people who had known Jesus were not amongst these followers. This is because they were not persecuted. In turn this was because in Jewish eyes they were not apostate lawbreakers and blasphemers.

And what source do you have for this information, given that you have already rejected Acts as a historical source due to its having been written by someone in the Gentile movement. (BTW - it was only the apostles who remained in Jerusalem. The rest of those who knew Jesus were run out of town).

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

PDN wrote: »
    James the brother of John (or James the son of Zebedee) was the first of the apostles to be martyred under King Herod (Acts 12:2).

Apologies, I've got a head full of James the Just. If James was martyred by Herod then it would seem to indicate only that. I mean to say that this is not indicative of any widespread persecution of the type that Saul took part in against Stephens followers. It is a single action against a single man and does not amount to the victimisation of an entire movement.

And what source do you have for this information, given that you have already rejected Acts as a historical source due to its having been written by someone in the Gentile movement. (BTW - it was only the apostles who remained in Jerusalem. The rest of those who knew Jesus were run out of town).

I have not rejected Acts as a source I have merely pointed out that the bias of its author must be accounted for. This same author has the 12 Apostles remaining in town whilst implying that their followers are sent running. I sincerely doubt this scenario, even if it was just out of decency one would expect the 12 to go along. If the 12 did not go it seems highly unlikely that their followers went, for if the Apostles had no need to run then neither did their followers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Paul did a lot for Christianity and I don't think he could be referred to as a heretic. He formed a Law based on the Law of Moses adapted through a Christian understanding through the Gospels. I think that is a rather notable mesaure.

Before anyone seriously calls him a heretic, Paul recieved revelations from Jesus Christ on several occasions. (Galatians 1:12)

• Advertisement

Jakkass wrote: »
    He formed a Law based on the Law of Moses adapted through a Christian understanding through the Gospels. I think that is a rather notable mesaure.

He formed a theology of his own that Jesus would never have endorsed

Before anyone seriously calls him a heretic, Paul recieved revelations from Jesus Christ on several occasions. (Galatians 1:12)

People in the Jewish Christian tradition regarded him as such. I do not understand why you believe the word of this murderer who was 'all things to all men' without question. Surely you can see that his teaching contradicts not just the Jerusalem Church but that of Jesus himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

He formed a theology of his own that Jesus would never have endorsed.

What theology was that? Maybe give us one at a time so they can be properly addressed.

People in the Jewish Christian tradition regarded him as such. I do not understand why you believe the word of this murderer who was 'all things to all men' without question. Surely you can see that his teaching contradicts not just the Jerusalem Church but that of Jesus himself.

Yes Paul WAS a murderer. He sinned, weclome to the club. He repented. He then went about doing the Lord's work.

That is what we should all do. Repent of our sin and then go do the Lord's work.

No I don't see anywhere that Paul contradicts the teachings of Christ nor the Jerusalem church? :confused:

He formed a theology of his own that Jesus would never have endorsed

Give me a reason why Jesus would have never endorsed it? It's perfectly compatible with the Gospels as far as I'm concerned. I also believe that Paul had visions of the Lord that allowed him to further his work. The prospects of the New Covenant are totally behind the work of Paul.

The Jerusalem Church? The Nazarenes you mean that did not honour the divinity of Jesus Christ? The Jerusalem Church dealt with Paul's message and allowed for it in the Gentile world.

I beseech you to give me some examples of this. I'm really quite interested now.

Give me a reason why Jesus would have never endorsed it? It's perfectly compatible with the Gospels as far as I'm concerned.

It opposes the teachings of Jesus. Please take a look at post #17 I'm a bit lazy to type.
    I also believe that Paul had visions of the Lord that allowed him to further his work.

OK but this makes your religious belief dependent on faith in Paul not Jesus.
    The prospects of the New Covenant are totally behind the work of Paul..

TBH I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this.
    The Jerusalem Church?

Led by James brother of Jesus, it was more of a community than a 'church' in the modern Christian sense. The members of this 'church' were mostly under Nazarite vows hence it is thought 'Nazarenes'
    The Nazarenes you mean that did not honour the divinity of Jesus Christ?

You make them sound like it is they who are the heretics but really your doctine of the Divine Jesus is the cause of the friction between your church and theirs. The Nazarenes is the name for the Jewish followers of Jesus even in Acts, they did not change the story, your church did.
    The Jerusalem Church dealt with Paul's message and allowed for it in the Gentile world.

It was the wish of the Jerusalem Church to convert Gentiles to Judaism, they compromised with Paul by saying Gentile converts must at least follow a version of the laws that God gave to Noah. However what became clear to Paul in the incident at Antioch is that unless Gentiles performed a full conversion to Judaism, then although they would be saved at the Parousia, they would not be held as equal members to the covenant. Such was the view of the Jerusalem Church at any rate and Paul went on preaching and converting people in opposition to it even though Barnabas deserted him over the issue.

Led by James brother of Jesus, it was more of a community than a 'church' in the modern Christian sense. The members of this 'church' were mostly under Nazarite vows hence it is thought 'Nazarenes'

Jesus was called a Nazarene because he came from Nazareth - nothing to do with Nazirites.
    The Nazarenes is the name for the Jewish followers of Jesus even in Acts, they did not change the story, your church did.
    In the book of Acts the Nazarenes are referred to in reference to Paul being their leader (Acts 24:5).

• Advertisement

Jesus was called a Nazarene because he came from Nazareth - nothing to do with Nazirites

I think the evangelists got mixed up, there is good argument to support this view here http://www.geocities.com/paulntobin/nazaebion.html
    In the book of Acts the Nazarenes are referred to in reference to Paul being their leader (Acts 24:5).

He was wrongly accused of being one of the ring-leaders of the Nazarene sect ie: the followers of Jesus

You make them sound like it is they who are the heretics but really your doctine of the Divine Jesus is the cause of the friction between your church and theirs. The Nazarenes is the name for the Jewish followers of Jesus even in Acts, they did not change the story, your church did.

Look to the Gospels, there is evidence that Jesus was not only the Son of God, but the human form of God Himself. This all has Biblical basis in Old Testament prophesy and in New Testament teaching.
    It opposes the teachings of Jesus. Please take a look at post #17 I'm a bit lazy to type.

Yes, and this is what you have misinterpreted in relation to Christs stance on the Law. Let me explain it to you.
    For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away not one letter not one stroke of a letter will pass from the law until all is accomplished.

What does until all is accomplished mean? The previous verse says that He has come to fulfil it, and Christians believe that His role was to bring about the New Covenant (see Jeremiah 31:31-34).

This brings us to the Last Supper. In the Eucharist, it is at least symbolism for Christ's suffering and death, I realise this is different in some churches hence why I put at least.

Jesus honours his sacrifice in saying that the wine would act as the "blood of the New Covenant". Why would he do this if he was not to bring about the placing of the new Law that Jeremiah speaks about which would come to the people.

He also notes that he will not drink from the fruit of the vine until he shall drink it with the disciples in His Fathers kingdom. Yet he does after his ressurection. Does that mean that Christ's kingdom had come into being, and that the New Covenant had come into being? The preaching of Christ was the covenant, thus the Law was kept until he had accomplished his mission on earth.

This is an analysis of what that verse means.

Edit:
    He was wrongly accused of being one of the ring-leaders of the Nazarene sect ie: the followers of Jesus

Any source for this or is this just your whim?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

As far as I am aware it is generally accepted that the Gospels of Matthew and John were written by anonymous non-eyewitnesses who attributed the names of apostles to give authority to their writings. Mattew's was basically heavily copied from the Gospel of Mark and the illusive Quelle Gospel, while John is quite different in content to the synoptic gospels and Jesus is portrayed as bringing the Greek philosophical "Logos" to his followers.

Does anyone have any evidence to the contrary?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

FC wrote:
    On the logos context, do ask Excelsior -- any time I brought it up in the past, he rejected the idea energetically, but without any serious treatment.

Well I would like to see some evidence that Jesus is portrayed by John as bringing the Greek philosophical 'logos' to His followers. John uses the logos motif about Jesus in John 1:1 (hardly suprising since he lived for a long time at Ephesus) - but I don't see Jesus using it.

There are many very well respected Bible scholars who believe that Matthew and John were indeed written by the disciples of those names - so it is incorrect to claim that anonymous authorship is 'generally accepted'.

There are many very well respected Bible scholars who believe that Matthew and John were indeed written by the disciples of those names

Sorry to sidetrack but who would these people be exactly?

Look to the Gospels, there is evidence that Jesus was not only the Son of God, but the human form of God Himself. This all has Biblical basis in Old Testament prophesy and in New Testament teaching.

So you say but I fail to see it. The people who wrote the Old Testament say you have the interpretation haywire for a number of reasons ranging from cultural ignorance to mistranslation. There is only Jesus as God in the Gospel of John. It is a bit of early gnostic nonsense IMO
    Yes, and this is what you have misinterpreted in relation to Christs stance on the Law. Let me explain it to you.

What does until all is accomplished mean? <snip analysis>?

No let me explain it to you :) you analyse the verse out of Matthew and then you rationalise that Jesus completed his task, all was accomplshed and thus the law is revoked. This is all just fine as far as it goes but if this was the case then why were his brothers and closest friends still living under the Law? the very people he left in charge? Paul, he does not follow the Law yet he abrogates it, this is the very opposite of what the people who knew Jesus are doing. They wanted gentile converts to be Jewish. Do you really think Paul would know better than them? This makes no sense and I suspect if you can make it make sense then you aren't being honest with yourself.

Any source for this or is this just your whim?

Er.. I believe it's in Acts 24:5

Sorry to sidetrack but who would these people be exactly?

A few names spring to mind:

RT France, former principal of Wycliffe Hall at Oxford, and author of the Recent new international commentary on Matthew.

WD Davies, co-author of another prominent commentary on Matthew and former Professor at Duke University, Princeton & Union Theological Seminary.

DA Carson, author of major commentaries on Matthew and John and research Professor of New Testament at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School.

Craig Keener, author of a 2 volume commentary on John and Professor of New Testament at Eastern Baptist Seminary. (Keener denies Matthew's authorship but supports that of John)

Craig L Blomberg, author of The Historical Reliability of John's Gospel and Professor of New testament at Denver Seminary.

Leon Morris, commentator and principal of Ridley College.

David Wenham, Professor at Wycliffe Hall, Oxford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

The thinking of Saul of Tarsus as witnessed in his letters, is more significant to the Christian faith than that of any other New Testament author. In discussions here I have been frequently surprised to learn that those who profess to be followers of Jesus are mostly ignorant or in denial of the great rift that existed between Paul and the Church in Jerusalem

I wasn't ignorant of this rift. I pointed it out in several of my posts. Yes there was a rift and more than just a rift, it was all out war. James (not the apostle) rather the brother of our Lord preached that Jesus was the Messiah but you also needed to adhere to the Law of Moses. He preached to Jews because to have association with the Gentiles was to be unclean. Who craftily used scripture (just like Satan when tempting Jesus) to support his argument about works of the law and the way of Faith. When Jesus told His disciples to preach the Gospel He said to go first to the lost house of Israel who by then were scattered throughout the world. Paul was chosen to preach the Gospel to these Gentile nations who were not Jewish nor knew any of the old Jewish traditions. James of whom there is no evidence even followed Jesus before the Resurrection was made the leader of the Church because the traditions in that part of the world was that a family member take over as leader when the leader dies. Where is the evidence that Jesus came to James? Where's James’ testimony of conversion? I’ve yet to read one. In fact when Jesus was preaching in Matt 12 His family came to talk to Him because (in my opinion) they believed Him to be beside Himself due to the claims He was making about Himself and that He was embarrassing them.

"While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, "Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you." He replied to him, "Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?" Pointing to his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother." Matt 12 46-50

So much for having a family relationship and personal contact with Jesus when He walked the earth.

And why was the Epistle of James only added to the cannon in 500 AD? It obviously wasn't thought much of by the early church Fathers. They were right. As Martin Luther says: “It’s a right “strawy” little epistle with not one word of Gospel in it” In fact Martin Luther didn’t even believe that James wrote it. I do though, it’s consistent with his personality as described in other NT documents.

As Michael Beignet and Richard Leigh (The Dead Sea Scrolls Deception Corgi Books, London, 1991) have said;

"... Paul is in effect the first Christian heretic, and his teachings, which become the foundation of later Christianity, are a flagrant deviation from the 'Original' or 'pure' form extolled by the leadership. Whether James, the 'Lord's brother,' was literally Jesus' blood kin or not (and everything suggests he was), it is clear that he knew Jesus...personally. So did most of the other members of the community or 'early Church,' in Jerusalem, including of course, Peter. When they spoke, they did so with first hand authority. Paul had never had such personal acquaintance with the figure he'd begun to regard as his 'Saviour.' He had only his quasi-mystical experience in the desert and the sound of a disembodied voice. For him to arrogate authority to himself on this basis is, to say the least, presumptuous. It also leads him to distort Jesus' teachings beyond recognition, to formulate, in fact, his own highly individual and idiosyncratic theology, and then to legitimise it by spuriously ascribing it to Jesus."

"As things transpired, however, the mainstream of the new movement gradually coalesced, during the next three centuries, around Paul and his teachings. Thus, to the undoubted posthumous horror of James and his associates, an entirely new religion was indeed born, a religion that came to have less and less to do with its supposed founder."

Ooooh, well let’s just base everything on what Michael Beignet and Richard Leigh say from now on shall we? I think not. You’ve yet to answer PDN’s question:

PDN Post # 27 in this thread: "So you are quite happy to say that Paul, Luke and the writers of the contemporary documents and historical records are wrong or liars, but now you want to argue for the veracity of passing statements by people who adhered to Paul's 'heresy' and lived 250 years after the events in question. Don't you think that's a little inconsistent?"

Plus you also want to adhere more to what Geocities.com, Michael Beignet and Richard Leigh say rather than historical sources that have stood the test of time for over 20 centuries.

What exactly do you believe is the message of Jesus? Do you believe He came to take away the yoke of bondage (the law) by becoming the vicarious sacrificial lamb prophesised by Isaiah in order to heap it on all the more? He came to seek and save that which was lost. Not to heap on more unbearable burdens.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matt 11:28-30

His burden is not the yoke of the law but the way of faith. Read Hebrews 11. It's ok you can read that, a lot of scholars contend that Paul didn't write that one, so you're ok there if you're in that band. God's way is the way of faith. Because He knows that nobody has ever kept the law and not just the ten commandments but the whole Old Testament including the Torah. Only Jesus lived the perfect life and only He had the means to redeem us from the law's curse. And the Gospel (Good News) is that He did actually do it. The Law is gone, dead, nailed to a tree being as Jesus said fulfilled in Him. That's why He says it couldn't pass away until it was fulfilled. He said that when he was alive on the earth. That was to be the culmination of His earthly ministry and was in the fact the reason He was born in the first place. Why else do you think He called Peter (the closest to Him) Satan when Peter rebuked Him by saying let this (dying on the cross) be far from you Lord. Satan did not want Jesus to die. He (Satan) knew what it meant if He Jesus died. His dominion over mankind would be destroyed. "For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil." I John 3:8

You see the problem with people who think God is going to judge them by the standard of the law is that they're right. Those who reject the sacrifice Jesus made and the grace that is now available in Christ will be judged by that old standard. They will be found to be unrighteous by this standard (for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God) and condemned by that standard the punishment of which is death of body and soul. Jesus the Righteous dying for the unrighteous (righteousness being defined as those who keep covenant. The old covenant being the law and the new covenant being the way of faith or acting in trusting relationship on God's Word) laid down His perfect life. So to try gain access by the old standard after He took it away is an insult to God. Jesus calls them thieves and robbers. They come over the wall and not through Him who is the door of the sheep cot. God accepted Jesus’ sacrifice as an adequate propitiatory and forever as an adequate propitiation. That’s why He is seated at the right hand of the Father. Seated typifying work completed, all T’s are crossed and I's dotted in fulfilling the law, which has passed away forever. Never again to be brought up. Now the accuser (as another poster pointed out as a name of the Devil) is silenced. He can no longer accuse the brethren before the throne of God because Christ defeated Him on Calvary. This is true Christianity, not the "obey Moses" doctrine that James preached. Paul was right and James was wrong end of. Praise Jesus for the Apostle Paul.

Noel clearly I believe it or I wouldn't have posted it. My opinion is a minority one but I think that most Christians are not true to the person they claim to follow. Instead it seems they prefer to rely on the teachings of somebody who never met him.

So basically what you are saying is thus:

Saul of Tarsus a devout Jew and zealous for the Law of Moses brought up in the strictest sect of the Jews who persecuted Christians because they preached a new doctrine contrary to the Law of Moses and threw them into jail and stood by, watched and even held the coats of those who stoned Stephen the first Christian martyr. Then was suddenly and dramatically turned from this Righteous path by the Devil disguised as Jesus to preach Grace and Peace to the unclean non Jews???

Is that what you believe happened?

I refer you again to the quote from Matthew in my first post. Jesus didn't have much time for His natural relatives when it came to doing the will of the One who sent Him. Just because Paul never met Jesus personally does not give you a basis to say that Jesus could not have chosen him out to further His message, which was the good news of the Gospel which Jesus purchased with His own blood. The apostles in Jerusalem became redundant because of James. The Gospel they started out to preach so powerfully became a mere add on to the laws and traditions James preached, the very things Jesus died to remove. No wonder Jesus had to go outside of the other Apostles and pick someone trained in the Law so that he (Paul) could explain its meaning in type to them and to the world in general. To Paul was given this great commission not the other apostles. If anything Paul got them back on the right track, especially Peter. Like I said to you over in the other thread, without Paul we would not be even having this debate and Christianity would be but a splinter group off Judaism today. Praise God for Paul.

• Advertisement

Soul Winner I answered PDN's question in post #29. The theology you're arguing by here is Pauline. At least we are agreed that there was a major division, indeed nothing short of all out war as you say. Personally I take the word of the brother of Jesus and his closest friends over that of this lying spouter Saul who hardly knew them and had never known the man they mourned. That you would prefer his character over that of James the Just is incredible to me.

As for your attack on my sources whatever of Michael Beignet and Richard Leigh, who merely expressed well the points of the case, the site at Geocities is well referenced and presented to academic standards. It uses the same sources you wish to introduce but in doing so applies to them the process of reasoning and of reading between the lines, these oldest of human arts. Did you go to the site and follow the line of reasoning? Paul was arrogant and not a very nice man at all.

So basically what you are saying is thus:

Saul of Tarsus a devout Jew and zealous for the Law of Moses brought up in the strictest sect of the Jews who persecuted Christians

Was under orders from the Temple to persecute the followers of Stephen at the time they were run out of Jerusalem. However did not persecute Jewish Christians such as the Apostles who were left unmolested in Jerusalem
    because they preached a new doctrine contrary to the Law of Moses and threw them into jail and stood by, watched and even held the coats of those who stoned Stephen the first Christian martyr.

Again it was the Graeco-Jewish community of followers that were persecuted, all the brothers and sisters and apostles of Jesus stayed within the law and were not persecuted
    Then was suddenly and dramatically turned from this Righteous path by the Devil disguised as Jesus to preach Grace and Peace to the unclean non Jews???

Is that what you believe happened?

Firstly I don't think you could call Sauls path a righteous path by any stretch. He was a murderer and a thug. He had a serious affliction of some nature, perhaps epilepsy. You seem to attatch great importance to the visions of this thug. If the Council of Jerusalem had believed in his vision then they would not have been so clearly antagonistic towards him and wanted Gentiles to become Jews.
    I refer you again to the quote from Matthew in my first post. Jesus didn't have much time for His natural relatives when it came to doing the will of the One who sent Him.

It's not just his relatives like his Mother and James it's Cephas and John and the other Apostles.
    Just because Paul never met Jesus personally does not give you a basis to say that Jesus could not have chosen him out to further His message

Yes it does by logic. I cannot choose somebody out to further messages if I have never met them. It just can't happen. Perhaps you know of a mechanism whereby it can?
    which was the good news of the Gospel which Jesus purchased with His own blood.

This I feel is Pauline nonsense, absolute illogical babble
    The apostles in Jerusalem became redundant because of James.

This is priceless stuff, you can see the whole split clearly yet rather than blame it on Paul being untrue to Jesus you blame it on all his closest friends and family being untrue to him. You can't just single out James, he didn't make himself the leader of the group.
    The Gospel they started out to preach so powerfully became a mere add on to the laws and traditions James preached, the very things Jesus died to remove. No wonder Jesus had to go outside of the other Apostles and pick someone trained in the Law so that he (Paul) could explain its meaning in type to them and to the world in general. To Paul was given this great commission not the other apostles. If anything Paul got them back on the right track, especially Peter. Like I said to you over in the other thread, without Paul we would not be even having this debate and Christianity would be but a splinter group off Judaism today. Praise God for Paul.

Here again you are speaking more of the Pauline heresy :) You can decide to follow Jesus or Paul but not both, they had different teachings. Jesus picked all the right men from the outset before he died. That you imply he was incapable of this shows little respect for Jesus and too much for Saul.

Paul was arrogant and not a very nice man at all.

Are you serious? A nice man? Never has a so called “nice man” reformed the church in its history. Give me courage, tenacity and intelligence over 'nice' any day of the week.

James' argument for works of the law versus Paul’s' argument for faith in God's promises

James:

"But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way? For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also." James 2:20-26

Abraham and Rahab? The liar and the Harlot. Saved by works. Is he for real? Abraham told his wife to lie to the Egyptians if they asked her if he was her husband. He said tell them I’m your brother. She was so beautiful Abraham knew that the Egyptians would kill him to get her. Saved by works? And Rahab ran a whore house. She also lied when the soldiers came for the spies. She hid them in straw and said that they went where they did not go. She lied and whored and James says she was saved by her works? Give me a break man, she was saved by her faith.

Now listen to Paul. Tell me if this rings true or not:

"What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found? For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin. Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness. How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision. And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also: And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised. For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith. For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect: Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression. Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all, (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were. Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be. And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sarah's womb: He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God; And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform. And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness. Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him; But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead; Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification." Romans 4

“By faith the prostitute Rahab, because she welcomed the spies, was not killed with those who were disobedient.” Hebrews 11:31

You can have James I’m sticking with Paul.

Was under orders from the Temple to persecute the followers of Stephen at the time they were run out of Jerusalem. However did not persecute Jewish Christians such as the Apostles who were left unmolested in Jerusalem

Stephen preached "Jesus" he did not preach Stephen. There was no followers of Stephen. Where are you getting this garbage from? It seems you'd squeeze any argument to fit your anti Paul cause. Were those who were converted because of Peter's preaching on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2 called followers of Peter or of Jesus? It's a rhetorical question you don't need to answer.

Again it was the Graeco-Jewish community of followers that were persecuted, all the brothers and sisters and apostles of Jesus stayed within the law and were not persecuted"

Exactly, those who still preached that you had to keep the law were not persecuted only the true Christians who preached Christ risen and no more need of the law were the one's being persecuted.

Firstly I don't think you could call Sauls path a righteous path by any stretch. He was a murderer and a thug. He had a serious affliction of some nature, perhaps epilepsy. You seem to attatch great importance to the visions of this thug. If the Council of Jerusalem had believed in his vision then they would not have been so clearly antagonistic towards him and wanted Gentiles to become Jews.

I wasn't calling his path a righteous path, I was making a point which obviously went right over your head. The council of Jerusalem added nothing to Paul as he wrote to the Galatians. He had to withstand Peter to his face at Antioch because he was being a hypocrite. He did eat with the non Jews until he seen the crowd from Jerusalem coming. They all fell fowl of the leaven of the Pharisees that Jesus Himself warned against. Paul was a thug and a murderer, but so was God's anointed King David, and Moses killed three thousand after receiving the law of God. Paul was zealous for the law of God. Jesus forgave him his sins and set him on a different path. The path of unfolding the secrets of the Old Testament types and shadows.

It's not just his relatives like his Mother and James it's Cephas and John and the other Apostles.

Nope wrong there, Peter and John were with Jesus all the time in his earthly ministry and I bet were there when He said this about his relatives. Again you are twisting everything to rationalise your empty argument to suit your anti Paul stance

Yes it does by logic. I cannot choose somebody out to further messages if I have never met them. It just can't happen. Perhaps you know of a mechanism whereby it can?

Yes, by the mechanism of when you've died for the sins of the world and God raises you from the dead and gives you a name above every name that by your name every knee shall bow and puts all your enemies under your feet and gives you all authority in heaven and on earth.

This I feel is Pauline nonsense, absolute illogical babble

One man's meat is another man's poison. What you call babble I call enlightenment and vice versa I suppose.

This is priceless stuff, you can see the whole split clearly yet rather than blame it on Paul being untrue to Jesus you blame it on all his closest friends and family being untrue to him. You can't just single out James, he didn't make himself the leader of the group.

Yes I see the whole split clearly. Paul said if I yet please men I should not be the servant of Christ. James was a man pleaser. He could not hack the persecution of the Jewish Leaders that came from being a true messenger of the Gospel so he placated the them by preaching that new converts must keep the law of Moses. Anyone who preaches a compromised Gospel message is a man pleaser and is not the servant of God. The only thing I can say for James is that he paid the ultimate price for his non denial that Jesus was the Messiah. It took 19 years until he finally had to face down the Jewish leaders and not deny Jesus was the Messiah and then they threw him off a cliff to his martyrdom. It took 19 years though. Paul comes to town and within two minutes there is a riot. That's my kind of Apostle.

Here again you are speaking more of the Pauline heresy :) You can decide to follow Jesus or Paul but not both, they had different teachings. Jesus picked all the right men from the outset before he died. That you imply he was incapable of this shows little respect for Jesus and too much for Saul.

Oh contraire, it is you who implies He was incapable of continuing this type choosing after the Resurrection. Plus Jesus also chose Judas who was a son of the devil from the beginning, was he one of the "right men" you're referring to? After Judas killed himself Peter in his wisdom decided to cast lots to pick his successor. Acts 1:20. What a genius Peter could be at times. Mathias! Can anyone tell me what notable contribution Mathias has made to Christianity? Where was the faith that would have said: "The Lord knows what he is doing, he doesn't need us to choose for Him" ???

Praise Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

A few names spring to mind:

RT France, former principal of Wycliffe Hall at Oxford, and author of the Recent new international commentary on Matthew.

Craig L Blomberg, author of The Historical Reliability of John's Gospel and Professor of New testament at Denver Seminary.

Are you sure of these sources? I have done a little check on these two at random, Bloomberg and R.T. France, and both seem to indicate the contrary in the articles by them that I read:

Bloomberg:

"One of the reasons John seems so different is because Matthew, Mark and Luke are related to one another at a literary level. Despite important distinctives, their accounts are more similar than dissimilar because Matthew and Luke adopted in general Mark's overall outline and selection of passages, while supplementing them as well."

Link to article

R.T. France:

"Most scholars in fact speak of a written source or sources (in addition to Mark) used by Matthew and Luke. It is not clear why this lost 'document' (known for convenience as 'Q') should be the only or the earliest such record."

Link to article

Are you sure of these sources? I have done a little check on these two at random, Bloomberg and R.T. France, and both seem to indicate the contrary in the articles by them that I read:

Yes, I am sure of these sources.

Neither of the articles you link to indicate anything contrary to the authors' views that Matthew and John were the actual writers of the Gospels that bear their names.

You seem to be confusing the issue of authorship with that of literary relationship. It is perfectly reasonable to assume that an eye-witness to an series of events would refer to any pre-existing written records before committing pen to paper.

Let me give you a concrete example. I was recently asked to contribute a chapter for a book covering the history of my denomination's congregations in Ireland. Now, I am certainly an eye-witness, since I founded our first congregation and have served as Bishop for a number of years. However, my first step (as with any sensible and careful author) was to gather as much material as possible to determine which events were the most noteworthy and to ensure that I remembered things in the correct chronological order. Therefore I contacted every pastor and minister in our churches and asked them to email me copies of every report or article they had written on these (recent) historical events. One of these reports (which had never been published) was so well written and carefully researched that I used it as a template for my own chapter, although I did add a number of events she had omitted and rearrange some material to reflect my thematic approach rather than a strictly chronological one. When I sent my chapter to the book's overall editor I attached copies of my colleagues' articles and reports (including the unpublished one - let's call it 'Q') so he could place them in our denomination's archives for any future research.

Now, I doubt if anyone will be much interested in reading my literary efforts five years from now, let alone 1900 years later. But imagine that in the year 4000 someone finds my chapter and other subsequent accounts based on the material I sent to the archives. By comparing our writings these future literary critics conclude that later historians used my chapter as a source, but that we obviously shared a common source. No copy of this common source exists, so the literary critics call it 'Q' (the critics are German and quelle means 'source').

Will these future critics assume that PDN was not the real author of my article? After all, since I used other sources then I can hardly have been an eye-witness, can I?

Bear in mind that I was writing about events that occurred a maximum of 15 years ago. Matthew was writing about events that occurred at least 30 years previously, so it is understandable that he may have used other written accounts as templates, including Mark's Gospel.

Now, imagine that in 10 or 20 years time a colleague of mine, also an eye witness to the founding of our churches in Ireland, decides to write a theological work that stresses a particular aspect of our work - that the multicultural and interracial harmony in our churches was a work of the Holy Spirit. Therefore he chooses some significant events from our history, but omits many of the events recorded in previous written accounts because they are irrelevant to his thesis. He also includes additional material from his own experience as an eye-witness, material that is highly relevant to his purpose but that we had not thought necessary to include in a more general history. This colleague of mine (let's call him John), having spent some of the intervening years in theological research overseas, may indeed use language that explains the history of the denomination in Ireland in the larger context of international debate over immigration and cross-cultural communication.

Our future literary critics will readily see that John, although he covers some of the same events, did not rely as heavily as me on Q. After all, his purpose was completely different. They will also see that John uses language and theological jargon that was unknown in our churches in Ireland in the early 1990s. Therefore they may mistakenly suggest that John was obviously not Irish at all, and therefore almost certainly not an eye-witness. If they are particularly imaginative they may even invent a 'Johannine Community' that reinterpreted the history of our churches.

All of which, if you have had the patience to read this far, demonstrates that apparent literary relationships between the Synoptic Gospels, and the lack of such relationships to the Fourth Gospel, have no bearing whatsoever on whether they were written by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

Therefore France, Blomberg and many others are behaving with impeccable scholarly logic in discussing literary sources etc yet still finding that other evidence strongly supports the traditional authorship of the Gospels.

Yes, I am sure of these sources.

Neither of the articles you link to indicate anything contrary to the authors' views that Matthew and John were the actual writers of the Gospels that bear their names.

You seem to be confusing the issue of authorship with that of literary relationship. It is perfectly reasonable to assume that an eye-witness to an series of events would refer to any pre-existing written records before committing pen to paper.

Let me give you a concrete example. I was recently asked to contribute a chapter for a book covering the history of my denomination's congregations in Ireland. Now, I am certainly an eye-witness, since I founded our first congregation and have served as Bishop for a number of years. However, my first step (as with any sensible and careful author) was to gather as much material as possible to determine which events were the most noteworthy and to ensure that I remembered things in the correct chronological order. Therefore I contacted every pastor and minister in our churches and asked them to email me copies of every report or article they had written on these (recent) historical events. One of these reports (which had never been published) was so well written and carefully researched that I used it as a template for my own chapter, although I did add a number of events she had omitted and rearrange some material to reflect my thematic approach rather than a strictly chronological one. When I sent my chapter to the book's overall editor I attached copies of my colleagues' articles and reports (including the unpublished one - let's call it 'Q') so he could place them in our denomination's archives for any future research.

Now, I doubt if anyone will be much interested in reading my literary efforts five years from now, let alone 1900 years later. But imagine that in the year 4000 someone finds my chapter and other subsequent accounts based on the material I sent to the archives. By comparing our writings these future literary critics conclude that later historians used my chapter as a source, but that we obviously shared a common source. No copy of this common source exists, so the literary critics call it 'Q' (the critics are German and quelle means 'source').

Will these future critics assume that PDN was not the real author of my article? After all, since I used other sources then I can hardly have been an eye-witness, can I?

Bear in mind that I was writing about events that occurred a maximum of 15 years ago. Matthew was writing about events that occurred at least 30 years previously, so it is understandable that he may have used other written accounts as templates, including Mark's Gospel.

Now, imagine that in 10 or 20 years time a colleague of mine, also an eye witness to the founding of our churches in Ireland, decides to write a theological work that stresses a particular aspect of our work - that the multicultural and interracial harmony in our churches was a work of the Holy Spirit. Therefore he chooses some significant events from our history, but omits many of the events recorded in previous written accounts because they are irrelevant to his thesis. He also includes additional material from his own experience as an eye-witness, material that is highly relevant to his purpose but that we had not thought necessary to include in a more general history. This colleague of mine (let's call him John), having spent some of the intervening years in theological research overseas, may indeed use language that explains the history of the denomination in Ireland in the larger context of international debate over immigration and cross-cultural communication.

Our future literary critics will readily see that John, although he covers some of the same events, did not rely as heavily as me on Q. After all, his purpose was completely different. They will also see that John uses language and theological jargon that was unknown in our churches in Ireland in the early 1990s. Therefore they may mistakenly suggest that John was obviously not Irish at all, and therefore almost certainly not an eye-witness. If they are particularly imaginative they may even invent a 'Johannine Community' that reinterpreted the history of our churches.

All of which, if you have had the patience to read this far, demonstrates that apparent literary relationships between the Synoptic Gospels, and the lack of such relationships to the Fourth Gospel, have no bearing whatsoever on whether they were written by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

Therefore France, Blomberg and many others are behaving with impeccable scholarly logic in discussing literary sources etc yet still finding that other evidence strongly supports the traditional authorship of the Gospels.

Exemplary analogousness!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

PDN, that was an impressive explanation alright and indeed plausable. I'm still going to lean towards the assumption that Matthew and Luke are later copies but that is just the skeptic in me.

Out of interest do you believe that the Gospel of Judas was written by Judas? I suspect for that you would be happy enough to write that one off as a later writing by an anonymous non-eyewitness.

Stephen preached "Jesus" he did not preach Stephen. There was no followers of Stephen. Where are you getting this garbage from? It seems you'd squeeze any argument to fit your anti Paul cause.

This garbage, as you have it, is from Acts. You are wrong to say there was no community of followers attatched to Stephen. If you read Acts 6 you will see that Stephen is chosen foremost from amongst the party of Grecian Jews. It is these people who are his followers.
    Exactly, those who still preached that you had to keep the law were not persecuted only the true Christians who preached Christ risen and no more need of the law were the one's being persecuted.

Exactly. The closest friends and family of Jesus were left alone.
    I wasn't calling his path a righteous path, I was making a point which obviously went right over your head.

You asked me if I thought it was a righteous path.
    Nope wrong there, Peter and John were with Jesus all the time in his earthly ministry and I bet were there when He said this about his relatives. Again you are twisting everything to rationalise your empty argument to suit your anti Paul stance

Sorry, you misunderstand me I think, I'm saying that even if you are correct and Jesus did not care for his mother and brothers, the Jerusalem Church led by James was made up of the Apostles and not just his family.
    Yes, by the mechanism of when you've died for the sins of the world and God raises you from the dead and gives you a name above every name that by your name every knee shall bow and puts all your enemies under your feet and gives you all authority in heaven and on earth.

Again this is all Pauline and you may as well tell me about the mechanism by which Santy delivers presents. It is made up nonsense that the people Jesus left behind were in clear opposition to.
    Yes I see the whole split clearly. Paul said if I yet please men I should not be the servant of Christ. James was a man pleaser. He could not hack the persecution of the Jewish Leaders that came from being a true messenger of the Gospel so he placated the them by preaching that new converts must keep the law of Moses. Anyone who preaches a compromised Gospel message is a man pleaser and is not the servant of God.

Surely Pauls less stringent requirement to follow Jesus is the real 'man-pleasing' in all of this. Concentrating on the cruxifix, mere faith instead of acts, it's a broad path and there are millions on it.
    The only thing I can say for James is that he paid the ultimate price for his non denial that Jesus was the Messiah. It took 19 years until he finally had to face down the Jewish leaders and not deny Jesus was the Messiah and then they threw him off a cliff to his martyrdom. It took 19 years though. Paul comes to town and within two minutes there is a riot. That's my kind of Apostle.

Josephus indicates that James was killed for political reasons and his death was protested by all kinds of Jews. I don't think his death had anything to do with his brother directly. It was their shared outlook that got them both killed IMO. The rich don't like the poor if they demand justice. The men who will demand it even to death, that's my kind of men.
    Oh contraire, it is you who implies He was incapable of continuing this type choosing after the Resurrection. Plus Jesus also chose Judas who was a son of the devil from the beginning, was he one of the "right men" you're referring to?

Of course Judas was the right man, there'd be no story without Judas.
    After Judas killed himself Peter in his wisdom decided to cast lots to pick his successor. Acts 1:20. What a genius Peter could be at times. Mathias! Can anyone tell me what notable contribution Mathias has made to Christianity? Where was the faith that would have said: "The Lord knows what he is doing, he doesn't need us to choose for Him" ???

As you say, Mathias! Who? Not a word of him after that little episode at the start of Acts. Many people consider that this is a redaction to the original source material and that it is the election of James, not Mathias, that was originally recorded. The faith that would have said: "The Lord knows what he is doing, he doesn't need us to choose for Him" was simply not there on account of the fact they did not think that Jesus was God. That would be a most greivous blasphemy to Jews of this nature. However the Grecian Jews, who were in large part apostate from their original religions, had no such qualms about making things up. Saul, for whatever reason, saw he would be best employed in ministering to them. The spooky man!

Praise God

• Advertisement

So you say but I fail to see it. The people who wrote the Old Testament say you have the interpretation haywire for a number of reasons ranging from cultural ignorance to mistranslation. There is only Jesus as God in the Gospel of John. It is a bit of early gnostic nonsense IMO
    Isaiah 9:6 wrote:
    For a child has been born for us;
    a son given to us;
    authority rests upon his shoulders;
    for he is named,
    Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Prince of Peace

I thought you believed that the whole Bible was nonsense. So what purpose do you have in confining your statement to the Gospel of John can I ask?
    No let me explain it to you :) you analyse the verse out of Matthew and then you rationalise that Jesus completed his task, all was accomplshed and thus the law is revoked. This is all just fine as far as it goes but if this was the case then why were his brothers and closest friends still living under the Law? the very people he left in charge? Paul, he does not follow the Law yet he abrogates it, this is the very opposite of what the people who knew Jesus are doing. They wanted gentile converts to be Jewish. Do you really think Paul would know better than them? This makes no sense and I suspect if you can make it make sense then you aren't being honest with yourself.

His blood was of the "new covenant". Do you understand what the word new means? In light of the word "old" in terms of the covenant. A new agreement would be passed by the blood of Christ, and it would come into being after His resurrection. It makes perfect sense.
    The days are surely coming, says the Lord when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah. It will not be like the covenant that I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt - a covenant which they broke though I was their husband, says the Lord. But this covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days says the Lord. I will put my law in their hearts and they will be my God and I will be their people

It will not be like the covenant that was given before! That is the purpose of "new" as opposed to "old".

Advertisement