Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact announced at IFA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

is the z3 a huge upgrade on the z2?

Honestly no it's not. Its very rarely worth going from one model to the next in terms of phones. There's not often s big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Honestly no it's not. Its very rarely worth going from one model to the next in terms of phones. There's not often s big difference.
    my reason for asking is emobile offered a z2 free with a 2 year contract or a z3 will be 99 with a 2 year contract. just trying to decide which i am gonna go for tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

OK, so my stupid fault I couldn't connect to my router. All sorted now. Time to start really playing with it. But loving it so far. What a screen. Phenomenal.

my reason for asking is emobile offered a z2 free with a 2 year contract or a z3 will be 99 with a 2 year contract. just trying to decide which i am gonna go for tbh

Never ever go for the older version, especially on a 2 year contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

On a two year contract you have to go for the latest one, by the time your contract is up the older Z2 will be showing its age.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Never ever go for the older version, especially on a 2 year contract

I have a Z2, and it's worth taking if it's free. Keep in mind the device is only 6 months old, and not a full year. Sony do 6 month releases instead of annual.

Battery life on mine is phenomenal, especially compared to my Nexus 5 (which is awful).

I'd say ask the price of the Z3, if its too pricey then get the Z2.

I have a Z2, and it's worth taking if it's free. Keep in mind the device is only 6 months old, and not a full year. Sony do 6 month releases instead of annual.

Battery life on mine is phenomenal, especially compared to my Nexus 5 (which is awful).

I'd say ask the price of the Z3, if its too pricey then get the Z2.
    99 euro i was told by emobile rep on phone

in saying that i have a galaxy s5 starting to wonder am i doing right going the sony route tbh

in saying that i have a galaxy s5 starting to wonder am i doing right going the sony route tbh

Going Sony over the Samsung would be the best thing you can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I got the same in the emobile store, but if you were prepared to go for the 18 month contract with them it's €50 extra for the phone giving a total cost of €800 for the term and you could upgrade early to the next model with the proceeds. Just an idea. Probably be the Z6 by then!

• Advertisement

I have the S5 too and there's no comparison. This is a much more fluid device. No glitches, stutters, better battery life and feels worth the cash.

Anybody managed to use the transfer cable as yet? Trying to transfer from iPhone. Can't seem to get them to pair.

Anybody managed to use the transfer cable as yet? Trying to transfer from iPhone. Can't seem to get them to pair.

Did you install Xperia Transfer?

Did you install Xperia Transfer?

Yeah, have done. Iain transfer cable, and it have selected "trust this computer" when prompted. But it doesn't look as though they're pairing. Perhaps I'm just being impatient.

Yeah, have done. Iain transfer cable, and it have selected "trust this computer" when prompted. But it doesn't look as though they're pairing. Perhaps I'm just being impatient.

It can take a good while for everything to transfer. Looked it up on YouTube?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

OK, so my stupid fault I couldn't connect to my router. All sorted now. Time to start really playing with it. But loving it so far. What a screen. Phenomenal.

How does the Z3 feel size wise, does it feel big, is it any way awkward at all?

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »

Moving from a small iPhone it does feel slightly big but not ridiculously so. It is blisteringly fast, no lag at all. The only delay being caused by my unfamiliarity with android. The screen is stunning. Could not recommend it enough, as I imagine it will only get better as I get more used to it.

Pangea wrote: »

i held a display model today the phone feels great in the hand i have the galaxy s5 and the z3 is definitely more comfortable in the hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Daith

I have ordered the charging dock and a case off amazon

Which dock and case did you go for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I was looking at a white Xperia Z3 Compact on Amazon.co.uk but that (only) seller won't deliver to Ireland.

Does anyone know the cheapest Xperia Z3 Compact (White) price available ? either in Ireland or ship to Ireland ? I'm with o2 but want to buy one outright.

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I was looking at a white Xperia Z3 Compact on Amazon.co.uk but that (only) seller won't deliver to Ireland.

Does anyone know the cheapest Xperia Z3 Compact (White) price available ? either in Ireland or ship to Ireland ? I'm with o2 but want to buy one outright.

Vodafone have exclusivity on the white one in Ireland, so I guess you'd have to pay to get unlocked. It's €449 off contract, I believe.

My girlfriend decided on the black one (after coming from white iPhone), and she hasn't actually put her sim in yet, but I've been playing with it over the last couple of days with it syncing on wifi. Battery seems pretty impressive, currently on 3.5 hours screen on over 2 days with 50% battery used.

• Advertisement

Carphone warehouse have them in different colours and they are sim free. I don't know the price though but if you asked for a CPW one and bought it for whichever network is cheapest they'll probably sort you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Z3 delivered to house this morning but I'm at work!!

Last 3 phones have all been Samsung (S1, S2 and S3). With custom ROMS believe it or not the S1 was the smoothest phone of the 3. Got fed up after years of Samsung lag and am looking forward to trying out the Z3.

I'd better like it though... locked into a 2 year contract. Again!!

G1032 wrote: »
    Z3 delivered to house this morning but I'm at work!!

Last 3 phones have all been Samsung (S1, S2 and S3). With custom ROMS believe it or not the S1 was the smoothest phone of the 3. Got fed up after years of Samsung lag and am looking forward to trying out the Z3.

I'd better like it though... locked into a 2 year contract. Again!!

Oh I think you'll like it alright. Only got to play with mine for a few hours last night, and in work today. No discernible lag while I was usin it. And the screen is just phenomenal.

Oh I think you'll like it alright. Only got to play with mine for a few hours last night, and in work today. No discernible lag while I was usin it. And the screen is just phenomenal.

Super. I just don't want lag.

Any way of transferring app data from my S3 to the Z3 without root?
    Don't think I'll go down the rooting road, initially anyway, with the Z3.
    Don't really want to go unlocking bootloaders etc incase that voids warranty.
    Each of the S1, S2 and S3 were very easy root and unroot.
    Won't be able to use Ti Backup on the Z3 with no root and from what I read Helium can't be used on Xperia phones

Anybody now any other way to transfer saved app data?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I presume you've tried Parcelmotel?

Super. I just don't want lag.

Any way of transferring app data from my S3 to the Z3 without root?
    Don't think I'll go down the rooting road, initially anyway, with the Z3.
    Don't really want to go unlocking bootloaders etc incase that voids warranty.
    Each of the S1, S2 and S3 were very easy root and unroot.
    Won't be able to use Ti Backup on the Z3 with no root and from what I read Helium can't be used on Xperia phones

Anybody now any other way to transfer saved app data?

What kind of data do you grab exactly? I'm always rooted and use TiBu, but thought you could back up app data through Google these days.

digitaldr wrote: »
    I presume you've tried Parcelmotel?

No I have not, just checking them out now. Someone mentioned clove.co.uk earlier in this thread but they have sold out of white. They are €470 all in.

***ParcelMotel -> there is one in my hometown. It says".... €3.95* per stay....*Subject to Terms & Condtions. Size & weight restrictions apply.) It might be worth it ?

I've been using PM for a couple of years - never had a problem. Their standard insurance is only €100 but if you hit the extend liability you can increase it for a small fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Why are people buying from the UK if you can buy from Meteor/Emobile for €50 cheaper? Even on Amazon at £372 delivered that's about €470.

No I have not, just checking them out now. Someone mentioned clove.co.uk earlier in this thread but they have sold out of white. They are €470 all in.

***ParcelMotel -> there is one in my hometown. It says".... €3.95* per stay....*Subject to Terms & Condtions. Size & weight restrictions apply.) It might be worth it ?

Parcel Motel gave me €10 credit when I signed up, and I haven't used it up yet. Maybe they will give you free credit when you join as well.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    What kind of data do you grab exactly? I'm always rooted and use TiBu, but thought you could back up app data through Google these days.

Really? I didn't know that. I'll check it out!!!
    I always just used Ti Backup when swithing ROMs/ phones etc

Really? I didn't know that. I'll check it out!!!
    I always just used Ti Backup when swithing ROMs/ phones etc

On my device its under Settings > Accounts and Sync > Google > App Data

I guess you need to have this selected in your old device, and then when you sign in I think it's an option on your new device.

cormie wrote: »
    Why are people buying from the UK if you can buy from Meteor/Emobile for €50 cheaper? Even on Amazon at £372 delivered that's about €470.

I want a white one. Only found black here.

Meteor are selling them unlocked PAYG at the moment not that they'd admit this to you! There's always the risk that this might change leaving you with a Z3 locked to a network you don't want to be on - can't see Meteor being too keen to accept a return on the basis that the phone is locked to their network!

Yea that could be a bit cheeky ;) Could always just test it before handing over the money maybe?

I assume that if a Meteor one works with a Vodafone sim, this means it's unlocked to ALL networks and it's not just by luck that they happen to be ok with a particular network (vodafone in this case)?

Does the Xperia Z3 c take a ultra slim SIM ? I had to cut my SIM card to slim (but with plastic still on it) for Xperia TX but it may require another cut to fit the phone ?

Does the Xperia Z3 c take a ultra slim SIM ? I had to cut my SIM card to slim (but with plastic still on it) for Xperia TX but it may require another cut to fit the phone ?

The compact uses a nano card, although Vodafone supplied us with a micro when purchasing the phone, and then cut off my girlfriend's nano when it just needed to be switched over from her iPhone.

Yea that could be a bit cheeky ;) Could always just test it before handing over the money maybe?

I assume that if a Meteor one works with a Vodafone sim, this means it's unlocked to ALL networks and it's not just by luck that they happen to be ok with a particular network (vodafone in this case)?

Not sure they'd let you open the shrink wrap to check out your non-Meteor SIM . Interestingly the Meteor Moto G was (?is) sold unlocked but locks to the network of the first SIM activated in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Unlock code is only around €20 on ebay.

• Advertisement

No stock in Meteor, Dun Laoghaire and the guy said he wouldn't count on it being unlocked as all Sony phones they've had have come locked. He said he couldn't test it for me before buying but would be able to test on the demo one.

So, been playing around with this forthright the day. Been in work, so not had too much of a chance to test it out, but one thing confirmed is the battery life. Took it off charge at 7, and been listening to music, and using WiFi, and I've still got 75% left. Stunned!

So, been playing around with this forthright the day. Been in work, so not had too much of a chance to test it out, but one thing confirmed is the battery life. Took it off charge at 7, and been listening to music, and using WiFi, and I've still got 75% left. Stunned!

I'm week impressed with it too. Off charge at 4am, two hours music playback via Bluetooth, push emails flying in all day and some browsing and calls, screen on brightish and still on 62%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Has anyone tried to plug in the noise cancelling Headphones into a Z3? They work with a Z2 thanks to software on the phone and I wonder if the same software is preinstalled on the Z3.

flazio wrote: »
    Has anyone tried to plug in the noise cancelling Headphones into a Z3? They work with a Z2 thanks to software on the phone and I wonder if the same software is preinstalled on the Z3.

The software's preinstalled, but Sony didn't bundle them with the Z3.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Daith wrote: »
    Which dock and case did you go for?

DK48 Charging Dock and Roxfit Book Case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The software's preinstalled, but Sony didn't bundle them with the Z3.
    But the software is there, so if someone buys them separately, they will work fully with the Z3.

Think in bout going with the z3 in white

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Definitely the better option, I think you'd regret getting the Z2, the Z3 is worth the extra money up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Going to try and pick up a z3 tomorrow.

Looks like they only have black available in CPW.

Would prefer a white one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement