Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brendan O'Connor's Bertie U-Turn

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Don't mistake me for a libertarian, I'm not, taxes buy civilisation, but I demand value for my money. Is this value for my money? I'm not getting value for money, and I'm not likely to without wide and hard reforms.

Will Sinn Féin deal with that?

That's inexcusable waste regardless of what party(ies) are in Government or whether they're left wing/right wing. No-one could be "for" that.

Except for the toads. I think you're being harsh there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Nodin wrote: »
    That's inexcusable waste regardless of what party(ies) are in Government or whether they're left wing/right wing. No-one could be "for" that.

Except for the toads. I think you're being harsh there.
    I am but these are hard times, nation before natterjack. Is widespread public sector reform and streamlining a part of the SF agenda, because I can't find that anywhere. Also how does SF intend to deal with strike related disruptions if it does indeed intend to put reforms in place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Why is there a thread about Brendan O'Connor? What he "thinks" is hardly relevant and expecting consistency is like expecting a donkey to play the piano in tune. In either case its not their fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

some journalists and commentators just make it up as they go along

they back the wrong horse and do a u-turn
    or whatever way the wind is blowing

they can get away with it

I am but these are hard times, nation before natterjack. Is widespread public sector reform and streamlining a part of the SF agenda, because I can't find that anywhere. Also how does SF intend to deal with strike related disruptions if it does indeed intend to put reforms in place?

...emmmm...when did I become SF?

• Advertisement

Sorry I thought you had mentioned you were a member or supporter of SF earlier in the thread, by the use of "we".

Sorry I thought you had mentioned you were a member or supporter of SF earlier in the thread, by the use of "we".

Supporter for many years. Not policy writing member/The Bearded One.

Supporter for many years. Not policy writing member/The Bearded One.
    If you have any influence on the party at all, read through that thread then get them to hire Wibbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

FG&LB are screwed they got handed a bag of crap, while FF held off on making tough changes. Irish voters will hold them responsible for the mess they are cleaning up while at the same time are not ready for the consequences of the alternative.

....can we not put aside our differences and worries and, in the spirit of reconcilation, get back to slagging off shoddy journalism and blatant turncoating?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

You do know there's more to politics than left and right?

Indeed. I was responding to your point that the HSE is an institution that is due to leftist principles. Which would make me ask whether you know yourself that there's more to politics than left and right. I was also making a point that Labour and the Unions are moving ever closer to the right, which means centrist. The corruption at the heart of politics and the unions has nothing to do with whether the group are left or right.
    Will Sinn Féin deal with that?

I'm not sure why you're asking me that. I'd be very surprised if SF didn't act exactly like FF/FG/Labour if/when they get into power.

....can we not put aside our differences and worries and, in the spirit of reconcilation, get back to slagging off shoddy journalism and blatant turncoating?
    I'd say BOC has gotten all the AH airtime he deserves.
    I'm not sure why you're asking me that. I'd be very surprised if SF didn't act exactly like FF/FG/Labour if/when they get into power.
    Yeah. Fucked if they get my vote so.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Away ye go.....the information you have that the rest of us are ignorant of must be shared......

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Home

http://www.mydup.com/

http://britishembassyinireland.fco.gov.uk/en/
    Yeah, and I'm not drunk right now.

It's on the internet, and politicians said it. It must be true.

For as long as Adams and/or McGuinness are in that party, SF will be tied to the IRA.
    For as long as they're alive, I will never take SF at their word.
    Due to my lifestyle choices, I will be long dead before both of them ****.

For a party so committed to unity between North and South, they have a strange way of showing it.
    Putting a gun to the head of a soldier from the Irish army doesn't really endear them to me.
    That soldier was my Father and McGuinness was the leader of the I.R.A. at the time.

Not to mention the thousands of innocent people they killed over the years.
    Yeah, the British did slaughter millions of Irish people over the years, but the Bible's "an eye for an eye" is fairly dated and redundant in a civilised society.

If SF can go for 30* more years without being tied to terrorism, and can come up with a feasible way to run this country without racism and corruption, then I'll vote for them.
    Until then it's the Phoenix Park male prostitute seeker and local independents for me.

*I''ll be dead in 30 years. Probably 5 or 10 unless I change my lifestyle, but that's highly unlikely.
    The majority of people are still going to vote for FF or FG, so the country will always be corrupt.
    I really don't even know why I try to educate people.

I'm fairly certain he said that, but can't be arsed looking back through the thread.
    I agree with Doc Ruby.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

This is exactly why people from Cork shouldn't be let near anything that publishes their ignorant views

Potatoeman wrote: »
    FG&LB are screwed they got handed a bag of crap, while FF held off on making tough changes. Irish voters will hold them responsible for the mess they are cleaning up while at the same time are not ready for the consequences of the alternative.
    The thing is that no politician will commit to any plan that takes more than a couple of years.
    They just want a quick result so that they can be re-elected.

The so-called sheep (or idiots as I prefer to call them) fall for it every time.

Quazzie wrote: »
    This is exactly why people from Cork shouldn't be let near anything that publishes their ignorant views
    I don't know what you mean, but I agree that Cork people suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,092 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Brendan who in the what, now?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

O'Connor's an absolute tool, and if he thinks anyone believes that he disliked Ahern all along, he's patronising readers of the Sindo.

Of course, the Sindo is a rag that caters to a small sub-section of the Dublin 4 elite. Why this paper gets bought anywhere outside of there is a continuing mystery to me. It's muck, all voyeurism and 'oh aren't we all very modern for a nation of spud-eaters', no substance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Brendan O Connor is a waste of skin

This is the same lad who said talk of the property bubble bursting was "nonsense!

vested interests

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Brendan O'Connors 'U-Turn'
    its the same as a U-Trap.....
    you know those things in toilets, on the sink and also on the ****ter, the thing that traps alot of **** and prevents the noxious odour coming back up...

well Brendan O'Connors u-turn is the same ... its full of **** and smells like it too....

Having known him quite well before he became a public figure, Im still waiting in hope for the day he breaks the lid on it all.

good thread thanks OP for starting it. Between Sundays article and his openeing joke about/against Bertie on his Sat night show (no I dont watch it) , hes really trying to jump on the anti-Bertie bandwagon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

You read the Sindo????

*points and laughs*

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The Sindo enrages me with it's "Isn't Dublin fantastic? Look how chique, modern, arty, and fashionable we are! Look at all the rich socialites we have and here's a 3-page interview on how great they are / how hard being rich is in a recession" while at the same time condescending the rest of the country with a "Aw, how quaint!" tone, as if everyone is living in mud houses.

O'Connor is a smug liar with about as much weight in his.......opinions......as one of my stale Heinekin farts on a Sunday morning. You couldn't hang your coat on any of the shìte he spews out as you know, within a certain period of time, he'll backtrack on it and hope you don't remember.

As someone said a long time ago, The Sindo is really just a bunch of people from D4 having a conversation with themselves.
    Brendan O'Connor just fits into the bracket of a 'wannabe from D4'.

Same with RTE, I still reckon the producers go down the canteen in Montrose around 7pm on a Fri and Sat, and any cheapskate RTE in-house celeb tucking into the fish-fingers special gets collared and told right your on Tubridy Tonight or O'Connors SN or else no more beans for you.

Still on the plus side great to see people eyes are open a bit now and they are starting to think for themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

markesmith wrote: »
    O'Connor's an absolute tool, and if he thinks anyone believes that he disliked Ahern all along, he's patronising readers of the Sindo.

Of course, the Sindo is a rag that caters to a small sub-section of the Dublin 4 elite. Why this paper gets bought anywhere outside of there is a continuing mystery to me. It's muck, all voyeurism and 'oh aren't we all very modern for a nation of spud-eaters', no substance

Tragically, it's on sale over here in London. Maybe we're all aspirational D4 elitists :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

brendan (he doesnt deserve a capital B in his name) changes his opinion to suit his argument/statement. I'd say the Bryll cream has finally soaked to his brain and is effecting his little brains ability of holding an opinion and sticking to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Duggy747 wrote: »
    The Sindo enrages me with it's "Isn't Dublin fantastic? Look how chique, modern, arty, and fashionable we are! Look at all the rich socialites we have and here's a 3-page interview on how great they are / how hard being rich is in a recession" while at the same time condescending the rest of the country with a "Aw, how quaint!" tone, as if everyone is living i mud houses.

I always associated with Indo set of newspapers with middle aged culchies tbh. A judgemental, curtain twitching view into the lives of people they'll never get to meet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Why doesn't someone ask him to explain? See how he tries to wriggle out of that. He is just about up to National Inquirer standard.

Bambi wrote: »
    I always associated with Indo set of newspapers with middle aged culchies tbh. A judgemental, curtain twitching view into the lives of people they'll never get to meet

culchies and curtain twitching, I dont think so ...
    what are they doing, peaking thru the curtains , spying on the cows in field .

Sindo, its just a newspaper, I like the fact Irish people WANT to read a newspaper. Is there a good choice or good journalism in most of them, probably not, but then we are such a small market.
    They say people get the government they deserve, maybe that same applies to newspapers.

Still it could be worse we could be across the pond and have Prime Minsters riding round on ex-Scotland Yard horses owned by newspaper executives found not guilty of spying on citizens of the state....

A French intellectual once remarked to me that having travelled around Europe he felt that French media was one of the most censored (mostly voluntary) media in western europe.

Back on topic, BOC is a plug, as are alot of the media, its great to see the majority recognising this, and Id give some of those who dont a fools pardon, cos their just too good natured to find fault with anyone.

As for his u-turn , that guys been back and forth over the Rubicon so often the ferryman gives him a frequent crosser fare.
    go on BoC ...man up... do you really want to be remmebered for this diatribe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Downlinz

lmao, some pathetic people out there who'll just say whatever the public want to read. Wish newspapers would hire less impressionable journalists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Downlinz wrote: »
    Wish newspapers would hire less impressionable journalists.

In the case of the Sindo you're using both those words in only the very loosest sense I assume.

Advertisement