Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brendan O'Connor's Bertie U-Turn

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Shinners! Shinners?! They're Everywhere! And there out to get us and eat our babies!

You'd fit in well at the SINDO.

....need....FLESH....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    I'm fast reaching the stage where I might even give the shinners a vote, if they
    a) ditched the communist nonsense
    b) cut all ties with the IRA
    c) put a workable economic plan together

So in essence, you'll vote for them if they become a different party ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I'm fast reaching the stage where I might even give the shinners a vote, if they

You clearly haven't read up on Communism.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Brendan O Connor is a waste of skin

This is the same lad who said talk of the property bubble bursting was "nonsense!

And the same man who said we all looked forward to Stephen Ireland returning to the national side.

Kinda reminds me of all the FF haters who claimed to have never voted them. Surely some of them must have over the god knows how many last years.

a - we never really were. Left wing, but never communist.
    b - has disbanded
    c - I believe that's what everyones trying to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    So in essence, you'll vote for them if they become a different party ?
    I think the IRA thing is really the only defining aspect of SF, that most people would associate it with anyway. I'm sure they'd alienate a lot of their base in the process but they'd gain a far larger base instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I'll never vote for them because of past experiences in the North (just as I would never ever vote for the Tories in Britain or FF in the Republic). But in fairness to them, their performance, patchy though it is, in Stormont demonstrates they've dumped the Marxist rubbish, and PIRA are effectively an historical entity at this point (RIRA and CIRA aren't, but the Shinners adjure them).
    They do badly need some brains in their policy department though, and that has to start with economics. Their policy of tax the rich to pay for everything is simplistic and doesn't add up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Nodin wrote: »
    b - has disbanded
    Communist..were (Eire Nua)
    Disbanded..only if you believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy
    Economic Plan..nobody should pay anything but everyone should have everything.
    In short "They hav'nt gone away you know!"

lividduck wrote: »
    Communist..were (Eire Nua)!"

That's O'Bradaighs idea with RSF.

Disbanded..only if you believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy
    "

You have information that the international monitoring body and a number of Governments don't? Jaysus man, don't waste your important info here - ring the Dail, the US embassy and the Brits one while you're at it.

b - has disbanded
    My impression was there's a spectrum from hard left to mildly left in SF, but to be honest left-leaning economic ideals are not what the country needs at the moment.

Cutting out public sector waste and incompetence, reducing expenses, using the latest technology to streamline services and reduce costs, these are not the hallmarks of the left. I mean for pity's sake did you see that PPARS shambles.

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=11805

They aren't particularly the hallmarks of the right either, but are a more technocratic ideal. Will SF undertake the neccessary measures to bring spending back from bubble levels and towards sustainable levels? Will it make the public sector at every level accountable? It can be done, and done without wrecking the economy too.

As for the IRA, bluntly Gerry and Martin and company need to take a distant back seat, in the Republic anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Not only is Brendan O'Connor an absolute first class tool, but I wouldn't wipe my arsé with anything thing he writes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Why waste a thread on him, he's a moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Cutting out public sector waste and incompetence, reducing expenses, using the latest technology to streamline services and reduce costs, these are not the hallmarks of the left. I mean for pity's sake did you see that PPARS shambles.

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=11805

The HSE is an example of left-wing ideals now?

And wasn't Ireland being touted as one of the best examples of a 'free' economy some years back?

The choice isn't necessarily between SF left and free-market economics. There are compromises that could be employed.

And wasn't Ireland being touted as one of the best examples of a 'free' economy some years back?

The choice isn't necessarily between SF left and free-market economics. There are compromises that could be employed.

Indeed. Adopt a model on Scandanavian/French/German lines. This will do nothing to improve the likes of O'Connor, Myers, Harris and Waters "journalism" but society at large will benefit.

I know people in the HSE that have openly told me their departments could vanish and nobody would ever miss them, or even know what they were doing. If that's not a hugely expensive welfare programme I don't know what is.
    I'm not even talking about ideologies. I mean firing every idiot associated with PPARS and getting a refund about six months after the costs started to balloon, so that the next people make a decent job of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Indeed. Adopt a model on Scandanavian/French/German lines. This will do nothing to improve the likes of O'Connor, Myers, Harris and Waters "journalism" but society at large will benefit.
    There is a huge difference betweeen Scandanavian Social Democracy and Germany Corporatism, I suggest that you read Esping Andersons "Three Worlds of Welfare".

There is a huge difference betweeen Scandanavian Social Democracy and Germany Corporatism, I suggest that you read Esping Andersons "Three Worlds of Welfare".
    Not to mention that the French wealth tax has cost them some 125 times more than the tax brought in, in capital flight.

Really we need to figure out an Irish solution tailored to our own country. Starting out by cutting the cruft in expenditure is about step 1 to 4 of the 5 step plan.

I know people in the HSE that have openly told me their departments could vanish and nobody would ever miss them, or even know what they were doing. If that's not a hugely expensive welfare programme I don't know what is.

No, that's a lack of accountability, which is neither left nor right wing. The HSE, however, was organised around a 'business' ethos of managing the health service. Just because it was a huge failure doesn't mean the whole thing is left wing all of a sudden.

There is a huge difference betweeen Scandanavian Social Democracy and Germany Corporatism.......".

I'd suggest that either would be an improvement on the cute hoorist nepotistic wankfest we've 'enjoyed' for the last number of decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Brendan O'Connor was a waste of a hard on.

The world would be a better placed if his father had just jerked off instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

He could have been Berties love child, if Bertie had done it a walrus.

No, that's a lack of accountability, which is neither left nor right wing. The HSE, however, was organised around a 'business' ethos of managing the health service. Just because it was a huge failure doesn't mean the whole thing is left wing all of a sudden.
    In this country we've come to associate the left with Labour, which means unions, who are very much responsible for a lot of the shambolic performances.

I mean I'll tell you who needs a job for life and protection along those lines - judges and tenured professors, to protect them from political interference. As far as everyone else goes, when you have vital services provided by people with a job for life, you get rode up the jacksie eventually culminating in your country having to borrow more and more to cover the risk of strikes. And when you go bankrupt, the strikes will happen anyway except you'll have a monstrous public debt overhang to deal with as well. The protections provided to private sector employees against unfair dismissal and a bad work environment should more than cover the huge majority of public workers.

Is SF any different to Labour in that regard? Because their economic policies strike most people as being from the other side of the rainbow, since they are fundamentally incompatible with the problems facing Ireland today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

He could have been Berties love child, if Bertie had done it a walrus.

walrus you say

http://www.98fm.com/wp-content/files/2011/01/Mary-Harney.jpg

....fer jaysus sake man....I was goin to have tay and a hobnob......

In this country we've come to associate the left with Labour, which means unions, who are very much responsible for a lot of the shambolic performances.

That's the same Labour that are moving steadily to the right? Regardless of what 'we' have come to associate them with. And the unions (SIPTU anyway) have long since lost any political affiliation, and are more institutions which look after their own.
    I mean I'll tell you who needs a job for life and protection along those lines - judges and tenured professors, to protect them from political interference. As far as everyone else goes, when you have vital services provided by people with a job for life, you get rode up the jacksie eventually culminating in your country having to borrow more and more to cover the risk of strikes. And when you go bankrupt, the strikes will happen anyway except you'll have a monstrous public debt overhang to deal with as well. The protections provided to private sector employees against unfair dismissal and a bad work environment should more than cover the huge majority of public workers./QUOTE]

You seem to be defining the situation and then arguing your point from there. I don't recall any point in Irish history where a right-wing government has not been in majority rule. Could you not say that the vast majority of our problems stem from right-wing practices? The HSE, which you referred to previously was the brain-child of the most right of the minority partnership government.
    Is SF any different to Labour in that regard? Because their economic policies strike most people as being from the other side of the rainbow, since they are fundamentally incompatible with the problems facing Ireland today.

The same problems which were helped by right-wing economics? It sure is a crazy world.

You seem to be defining the situation and then arguing your point from there. I don't recall any point in Irish history where a right-wing government has not been in majority rule. Could you not say that the vast majority of our problems stem from right-wing practices? The HSE, which you referred to previously was the brain-child of the most right of the minority partnership government.
    You do know there's more to politics than left and right? The big two are centrist parties, neither left nor right, focusing their representatives on the parish pump and never straying too far in either direction. This is why people complain that FG simply followed FFs game plan after they got elected - they are two sides of the same coin.

Then of course FF decided to embrace regulatory capture on an industrial scale and sink the place. Which is just corruption and/or stupidity by the way, neither left nor right. Which is the point I'm tryng to make - as far as I can see you're in favour of leftist policies. I'm in favour of stripping out incompetence, corruption, and pork, and I don't care what colour you paint it.

Don't mistake me for a libertarian, I'm not, taxes buy civilisation, but I demand value for my money. Is this value for my money? I'm not getting value for money, and I'm not likely to without wide and hard reforms.

Will Sinn Féin deal with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Wild Bill wrote: »
    If only O'Connor was the only one. ;)

His piece was part of a Sindo campaign against Moriarty in early 2008. You folk really need to stop focusing on personalities/individuals and get the big picture.

You are being manipulated like a collie maneuvers a flock of sheep!

The Establishment needs to ditch Bertie in order to continue his policies via the FG/Labour Regime.

Tweedledum/Tweedledee.

Bertie will stay out of prison and keep his pension so that the establishment of FF/FG/Labour can continue to screw the country.

And the bleating sheep (aka, the Irish majority) will rotate their useless votes between the three. :cool:
    You had me until the Sheep thing.

The voting public are not sheep. They're ****ing idiots.
    Proof?
    Successive corrupt FF governments.
    Sheep know how to survive on their own, and don't look to others for basic necessities.
    They are also incorruptible.

b - has disbanded

A: Fair enough.
    B: I'd laugh if they weren't murderous bastards.
    C: In my honest opinion 90% of TDs are corrupt cúnts only out to make money for themselves, and don't give a flying **** about their constituents. SF fall into that 90%

Want a prosperous Ireland with jobs for Irish people in Ireland?
    We have Trillions (yes, Trillions) of Euros worth of gas, oil and other natural resources in our seas.
    Bertie and his cronies sold them off (for the most part) to private companies.
    Pass a couple of laws and that's all done with and the natural resources come back to us. Let the ****ers sue us. We can use he defense that those who sold it in the first place were/are corrupt as ****.

Then you have the wind farms.
    Just look at the topography of this island.
    The West coast is battered.
    The reason the entire coast isn't covered in wind farms if because local politicians are not getting brown envelopes, the local 'change nothing' brigade won't allow any building in Ireland and we're apathetic bastards unless we're losing a couple of quid a year for some pointless reason.

I love this country. The vast majority of people in it piss me off though.
    Greedy and apathetic *****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Thats Brendan O'Carroll Picture and we're talking about Brendan O'Connor Picture

After Hours needs a sarcasm/trolling font

Terry wrote: »
    B: I'd laugh if they weren't murderous bastards.
    .........*.

Away ye go.....the information you have that the rest of us are ignorant of must be shared......

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Home

http://www.mydup.com/

http://britishembassyinireland.fco.gov.uk/en/

• Advertisement

Away ye go.....the information you have that the rest of us are ignorant of must be shared......

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Home

http://www.mydup.com/

http://britishembassyinireland.fco.gov.uk/en/
    And what does SF have to say about my last post there. And if SF doesn't have an answer, is it going to present one anytime soon.

Advertisement