Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 6 Nations & World Cup 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

When is the SA-ENG match? What could happen there is SA up by between 8 and 14 points in the last minute, and they would have to let England score to stand a chance of getting through because it looks certain the best runner up won't be in our pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

That list is very good, fair enough. But any list like which doesn't have "Missing a back row forward for 10 minutes during our most important defensive spell" at the top of the list just screams of excuse-making.

I said he was idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

leonard7 wrote: »
    i'd also have to say Bary Dalys indecision which led to turnovers and 6 points to england

There's no point nitpicking you could also make the point that Barry Daly's decision making in the first half led to our first try.

To be fair our lads looked knackered by about halfway into the second half, bench should've been used but we just don't have the depth. I do think we should've kicked to the corner when we had the advantage and dominance in the lineout late in the first half but with those conditions you can understand why a team would opt to take all the points they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

blackhound wrote: »
    leonard7 wrote: »
    i'd also have to say Bary Dalys indecision which led to turnovers and 6 points to england

There's no point nitpicking you could also make the point that Barry Daly's decision making in the first half led to our first try.

To be fair our lads looked knackered by about halfway into the second half, bench should've been used but we just don't have the depth. I do think we should've kicked to the corner when we had the advantage and dominance in the lineout late in the first half but with those conditions you can understand why a team would opt to take all the points they could.

I don't think his decision making was great on that break, he was running across the pitch and running out of options, and then the English guy missed the tackle and he was away.

Don't get me wrong it was good skill but I didn't think it was necessarily the best decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Is there any way Ireland can still qualify?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If Wales run up a big score against Samoa they should be the first seeds and will more than likely be rewarded with a game against........New Zealand!

Just reading the rules here are and "The Team ranked 12th at the end of the IRB Junior World Championship 2012 will be relegated to the IRB Junior World Rugby Trophy 2013" similarly "The winner of the IRB Junior World Rugby Trophy 2012 will be promoted to the IRB Junior World Championship and will be entitled to participate in the IRB Junior World Championship 2013 in France".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If Wales run up a big score against Samoa they should be the first seeds and will more than likely be rewarded with a game against........New Zealand!

Some reward. I wonder will they just kick at goal all game then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Is there any way Ireland can still qualify?
    Beat Italy with a try bonus and south africa beat england with neither side getting a bonus. we make the semis

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RuggaBugga

The games have been moved to Newlands and Cape Town Stadium.. The stands will definitely be looking rather empty in the big stadiums. Personally, i think the taste of NH weather has exposed the SH teams lack of adaptability a little bit. Like someone mentioned earlier, it was a good leveler..

It turns out that IRB chose to hire the university pitches are they were much cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

ormond lad wrote: »
    Beat Italy with a try bonus and south africa beat england with neither side getting a bonus. we make the semis

That is plausible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Doing well in these competitions is a bonus but as far as I'm concerned the real victory is in the level of player development

JJ Hanrahan, Marmion, Henderson and Beirne among a few others all look like super players

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭TomLamp

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Doing well in these competitions is a bonus but as far as I'm concerned the real victory is in the level of player development

JJ Hanrahan, Marmion, Henderson and Beirne among a few others all look like super players

No mention of Gilsenan and Jordan Coughlan?

For me those two lads have been essential to this team. I think when Gilsenan went off today the entire match changed.

TomLamp wrote: »
    No mention of Gilsenan and Jordan Coughlan?

For me those two lads have been essential to this team. I think when Gilsenan went off today the entire match changed.

Notice the "and a few others"

Gilsenan looked very good when he was involved, hope his injury isn't serious.

I don't think he has been mentioned much (if at all), but in both games Conan produced some important carries and controlled well at the base.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

The entire back row have been really impressive. Conan was the best of them today imo.

Beirne was superb today, but I really think Henderson looks a class apart in general. I would say he is the most ready of the lot for top level rugby.

Marmion needs to work on his pass, but looks excellent. And Hanrahan has had a great tournament, I think, needs to polish his game at 10 for sure, but loads of promise.

I was really disappointed with Nelson today though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

That Furlong chap looked half decent too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

shuffol wrote: »
    That Furlong chap looked half decent too

And I like the look of Scannell, his darts were excellent.

Plus you've got Farrell and McGrath who are very highly rated themselves, not to mention Layden and Jackson.

They wont all make it although all of them have significant merits, what it does do is ensure that the competition for places at the provinces will remain very healthy for the forseeable future. It'll push the standard up of those that do make it all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

You gotta love Gilsenan and his passion. He was in floods of tears during the anthem and even as he's stretchered off the pitch he's roaring.
    INPHO_00606446.jpg

On a side note. The real positive thing I've taken from this tournament so far, is the talent coming from positions that generally haven't been of focus in previous years. All three locks look to have serious potential, as well as the back-row, Furlong, JJ etc. I'd only expect really Henderson to have a part to play next season with Ulster, with maybe JJ appearing for Munster, but there's a strong core of players that can develop from this squad.

The combined U-20 team of the last 2 years would look something like:

1. Merrey?
    2. Annett/Scannell
    3. Furlong
    4. Beirne
    5. Henderson
    6. Coghlan
    7. Gilsenan
    8. Conan
    9. Marmion
    10. Hanrahan/Jackson
    11. O'Halloran
    12. Marshall/Hanrahan
    13. Macken
    14. Conway
    15. Gilroy

For just the last 2 years, that is a lot of quality, and although they won't all 'make' it, I would be betting many of them will.

Another positive is all provinces are pretty well represented in recent teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Tox56 wrote: »

1. Merrey?
    2. Annett/Scannell
    3. Furlong
    4. Beirne
    5. Henderson
    6. Coghlan
    7. Gilsenan
    8. Conan
    9. Marmion
    10. Hanrahan/Jackson
    11. O'Halloran
    12. Marshall/Hanrahan
    13. Macken
    14. Conway
    15. Gilroy

For just the last 2 years, that is a lot of quality, and although they won't all 'make' it, I would be betting many of them will.

I'd have Tracy over Merrey based on what he did to the SA Tighthead last season alone!

Only Mcgrath, Farrell and Olding will be back next season so almost a whole new panel.

I still cant understand Buckley

Tox56 wrote: »

1. Merrey?
    2. Annett/Scannell
    3. Furlong
    4. Beirne
    5. Henderson
    6. Coghlan
    7. Gilsenan
    8. Conan
    9. Marmion
    10. Hanrahan/Jackson
    11. O'Halloran
    12. Marshall/Hanrahan
    13. Macken
    14. Conway
    15. Gilroy

I'd have Tracy over Merrey based on what he did to the SA Tighthead last season alone!

Forgot about him, Merrey was good in the scrum but fairly anonymous in open play.

I'd probably take Kyle McCall over Merrey as well. However if you were to take Furlong as a loosie then himself and Moore would be the 2 strongest props.

Dont forget that Mick Kearney was in the second row last season too. He's gone on to do very well at Rabo level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Notice the "and a few others"

No need to be so bitchy fishy. Furlong looks very good too

clsmooth wrote: »
    No need to be so bitchy fishy. Furlong looks very good too

How was I being bitchy?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭clsmooth

How was I being bitchy?:confused:

Your bitchy response is how :o Anyone stop bringing the thread off topic. Bring on italy and lets hope results go our way :)

clsmooth wrote: »
    You're bitchy response is how :o Anyone stop bringing the thread off topic. Bring on italy and lets hope results go our way :)

I was just pointing it out! Wasn't trying to be bitchy, apologies if that's how it looks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I know it's a bit early to be speculating.. but what happens if Ireland, South Africa and England all finish on 10 points?

I know the rules apply to 2 (or more) teams drawing on points. But I'm not sure how they're applied to 3 teams exactly..

http://www.irb.com/jwc/rules/index.html

Anyone have a clue?

As in it says

''If, at the completion of the Pool phase, two or more Teams are level on Match points, then the following criteria shall be used in the following order until one of the Teams can be determined as the higher ranked:
    (i) the winner of the Match in which the two tied Teams have played each other shall be the higher ranked; ''

England have beaten Ireland, Ireland have beaten S.A and hypothetically say S.A have beaten England.. So will they just move on to the second criteria and so on?

Advertisement