Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork North Central: #GE16

Options
  • 04-02-2016 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭

I see there is a thread for South Central, but nothing for the norries, so here goes :D

Current TDs:
    • Billy Kelleher (FF)
    • Kathleen Lynch (Lab)
    • Dara Murphy (FG)
    • Jonathan O'Brien (SF)

This is my first time living in North Central for a General Election, and the quality of candidates is quite different to that in South Central (where I'm from).

From what I can see/hear, Dara Murphy has endeared himself to nobody, but will probably get a seat anyway. Billy Kelleher should also be sorted with a seat, and I reckon O'Brien will romp home well ahead of the pack.

Last seat will be interesting then, between Thomas Gould (SF), Mick Barry (AAAPBP) and Kathleen Lynch.

Personally speaking, I'd hate for Lynch to lose her seat, but the venom with which people speak about her makes me think she's screwed.

What do people reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Interesting odds from Paddy Power:
    Capture.png

So they have SF taking 2 seats here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I know nothing about Gould politically but I know him through work and seems a decent type. Still wouldn't spoil my vote by voting SF though.

O Brien is an absolute joke though. He will get elected no bother, though Gould will probably split his vote somewhat. I fail to see that he has done anything at all of note as a TD. I know him through other cirlces and I cannot fathom how he pulls the wool over peoples eyes. His machine must be pretty good to get this goober elected.

Billy Kelleher tops the poll imo. I dont like him either, but he seems to have a very safe seat somehow.

Darragh Murphy is a knob, but I think he gets in also.

I think Mick Barry takes the last seat. He is very active and very vocal and does come across as a genuine type. It wil be a fight with Gould. I see Lynch getting destroyed.

gimmick wrote: »
    His machine must be pretty good to get this goober elected.

From what I've heard and know - I think this is the truth...

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

I know nothing about Gould politically but I know him through work and seems a decent type. Still wouldn't spoil my vote by voting SF though.

O Brien is an absolute joke though. He will get elected no bother, though Gould will probably split his vote somewhat. I fail to see that he has done anything at all of note as a TD. I know him through other cirlces and I cannot fathom how he pulls the wool over peoples eyes. His machine must be pretty good to get this goober elected.

Billy Kelleher tops the poll imo. I dont like him either, but he seems to have a very safe seat somehow.

I think Mick Barry takes the last seat. He is very active and very vocal and does come across as a genuine type. It wil be a fight with Gould. I see Lynch getting destroyed.

I Read somewhere recently that O Brien has raised more issues in the Dail than any other Cork NC TD, Lynch and Murphy are a joke,he cant even run a catering business then gets a ministerial position

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

No one running for Social Democrats unfortunately. Otherwise they'd have my vote. For the first time running up to an election I have no idea who I want to vote for.

• Advertisement

No one running for Social Democrats unfortunately. Otherwise they'd have my vote. For the first time running up to an election I have no idea who I want to vote for.

It's easier to list who you don't want to vote for and see who's left...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭applehunter

There was always a Labour vote in North Central, now looks like they will get half the ticket.

The closer they have got to power the more I am dismayed with SF so can't give them my vote.

Kathleen Lynch is a goner IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

What are the main issues up in Cork North Central??

Housing? The M20? Crime?

mikeym wrote: »
    What are the main issues up in Cork North Central??

Housing? The M20? Crime?

I walked home the other day from work (Blackpool to Gurranabraher) and based on the amount of posters in people's houses - water will be a big thing. I'd say housing may crop up too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Cork North Central includes some of the South of the city, Bishopstown eg.

voted for Murphy last time, he wont be getting it this time.
    His running mate is rather pleasing on the eye though.

I might give Oliver Moran a one, but he'll probably be eliminated early.
    Cant give my 2 to FG FF or Lab.
    whats a fella to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I heard O'Brien on the radio today. He's a malicious piece of work. Playing to the populist working class vote by spouting completely ridiculous impractical nonsense. It really gets my goat the way they accuse the past governments of being corrupt when they are the biggest shower of dishonest manipulators you'd ever come across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

dulpit wrote: »
    Interesting odds from Paddy Power:
    Capture.png

So they have SF taking 2 seats here :(

I always take the Paddy Power odds with a big grain of salt. Aislinn Tongue at 18/1, a candidate that has refused to do any media appearances and seems to exist solely on twitter. While Ted Tynan who got over 1,000 first preferences in the local elections is at 100/1! They must have judged their odds from the amount of twitter followers each candidate has as opposed to feeling on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Everyone in Cork North Central should place a bet on Paddy Power that Ted will get a seat and everyone should vote for Ted LOL!

More money for the people :D

I have no affiliation to the Workers Party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

You work in JDS foods then??

Once Dara Murphy and Kathleen Lynch aren't returned i'll be happy. Billy Kelleher seems happy to sit in O'Brien's in Blackpool S.C drinking coffee with his examiner.don't like the man but he'll get back in. O'Brien called to my door on thursday,the only one to do so.water is a very big issue with me. Can't afford to feed myself never mind pay for water. And before ye say it i had a job and lost it just recently. Can't get anything decent in my line of work sadly.

Go away out of that sur you spent 8K on a car there recently!

Go away out of that sur you spent 8K on a car there recently!

Redundancy Sir. Plus i paid my water charges via my motor tax which i paid in full for the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Used to be a fan of Lynch. She only has herself to blame for the downfall. A number of relatively minor local issues (though important locally) handled poorly. Seems to have forgotten who elected her. It mightnt be the best system but she hasnt stood by her constituents.

Used to be a fan of Lynch. She only has herself to blame for the downfall. A number of relatively minor local issues (though important locally) handled poorly. Seems to have forgotten who elected her. It mightnt be the best system but she hasnt stood by her constituents.

+1

Also if you recall Murphy "i have James Reilly on the phone giving a cast iron guarantee on the orthopaedic hospital" he's done nothing either bar his antics with taxigate.

Only Lynch and her supporters claim she has done any good, something i can't see.

As a previous poster said, Murphy couldn't run a catering business yet was given a ministry. As well as appointing his wife as his secretary just like lynch did with her husband. #gravytrain

KC161 wrote: »
    Redundancy Sir. Plus i paid my water charges via my motor tax which i paid in full for the year.

I'm only joking. None of my business at all.

• Advertisement

I'm only joking. None of my business at all.

Ah jasus i know that. I'm only ball hopping myself. Apologies if i didn't come across that way.

Thomas Gould seems to be outpacing Jonathan O'Brien big time when it comes to postering, I noticed he (Gould) has one directly outside O'Brien's constituency office on Shandon Street :pac:

I can't see O'Brien being beaten for first place though, as much as I would like to see it...

Thomas Gould seems to be outpacing Jonathan O'Brien big time when it comes to postering, I noticed he (Gould) has one directly outside O'Brien's constituency office on Shandon Street :pac:

I can't see O'Brien being beaten for first place though, as much as I would like to see it...
    Mick Barry has multiples of 4 posters at a time in places around Apple and Churchfield park. Will O'Brien be able to carry Gould with him at the expense of Lynch i wonder

Mick Barry has multiples of 4 posters at a time in places around Apple and Churchfield park. Will O'Brien be able to carry Gould with him at the expense of Lynch i wonder

Paddy Power seem to think so. I'd say that last seat will come down to Lynch -v- Gould -v- Barry. The fact there's 2 FG might help Lynch with transfers down the line, be an interesting one to watch..

You work in JDS foods then??

Nope.

Paddy Power seem to think so. I'd say that last seat will come down to Lynch -v- Gould -v- Barry. The fact there's 2 FG might help Lynch with transfers down the line, be an interesting one to watch..

The voters of Cork North Central would be mad to re elect Murphy. He got in last time on lies.it'll take O'Leary's votes to get him over the line. Will people buy the FG recovery nonsense. There's no recovery in this constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

The voters of Cork North Central would be mad to re elect Murphy. He got in last time on lies.it'll take O'Leary's votes to get him over the line. Will people buy the FG recovery nonsense. There's no recovery in this constituency.

Plenty of recovery in Cork north central. Plenty out in rural areas will vote for Dara Murphy as a result. The anti everything parties will not do well in rural areas. I'm half thinking about giving my number 2 to Kathleen Lynch, to keep out Barry or Sinn Fein.

FrStone wrote: »
    Plenty of recovery in Cork north central. Plenty out in rural areas will vote for Dara Murphy as a result. The anti everything parties will not do well in rural areas. I'm half thinking about giving my number 2 to Kathleen Lynch, to keep out Barry or Sinn Fein.

I'm bordering the north west of the city. Only Apple is showing any huge signs. Murphy didn't even make the quota last time iirc. Barry hasn't a hope. SF might well get 2.

I am hoping that the re drawing of the lines will hurt SF and their bullshít. Like, I cannot imagine many people from Victoria Cross/Orchard Rd areas will be stupid enough to listen to any of their nonsense about abolishing everything.

• Advertisement

FrStone wrote: »
    I'm half thinking about giving my number 2 to Kathleen Lynch, to keep out Barry or Sinn Fein.
    Why not give her a number 1? ;)

Advertisement