Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork South Central in Next General Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Not much value in the PP market:

PDJm72L.png

5 candidates are odds on despite the fact there are only 4 seats :rolleyes:

I see can Lynch losing his seat and votes going to SF with the outcome as:

2 FF
    1 FG
    1 SF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Sinn Fein have never done well in Cork South Central.

2 FG.
    2 FF.

And I wont be voting for FG or FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

mikeym wrote: »
    Sinn Fein have never done well in Cork South Central.

2 FG.
    2 FF.

And I wont be voting for FG or FF.

I'd see MM, MMcG and SC as bankers. I do see SF in with a chance of taking Jerry's seat though. I say that as a FG voter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Buttimer favourite now to take the 4th seat:

MORA5Jb.png

MORA5Jb.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭CZ 453

MORA5Jb.png

That'll be a close seat. Buttimer will be put out by having to shift his main base(From Bishopstown to Douglas). O Laoighaire has a solid base in the Togher/Ballyphehane region.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Only realised from reading this thread yesterday that it looks like I will be shunted from the Cork South Central constituency to Cork North Central in the next election. I live on College Road. It's hard to tell definitively where the constituency boundary is from the map: can anyone confirm whether College Road has been moved to CNC?

I know it's a first-world problem but I would not be happy with this situation at all. I am currently represented by top-class public servants in Simon Coveney, and Michael Martin; people with power and gravitas. Am I supposed to start depending on Billy Kelleher and Kathleen Lynch (should they retain their seats) to represent me now??

More serious questions also come to mind. In particular, what will this change do to property prices in the area? Will my children start being bullied as "Norries" while attending their prestigious Southside schools. Are they likely to pick up "the accent" from living in the Northside constituency? Most worryingly of all: is my teenage daughter at risk of putting on a lot of weight and becoming a single mum?

I'm at my wits end here. Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Well, it's official: College Road is now in CNC. :( I work as a presiding officer at elections and could always transfer my vote to the polling station (Southside, obvs) where I worked. Got a letter from the City Sheriff last week letting me know that I would need to apply for a postal vote if I wanted to vote in "my" constituency of CNC. Needless to say, I didn't bother my arse applying!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The list of candidates running in Cork South Central.

http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/constituencies/cork-south-central/

I really hope those on lower incomes turn out and vote because if they do we wont have 2 FG and 2 FF Td's.

I see Renua finally have announced a candidate.

He doesn't sound like a very Renua-ie candidate.

(Side note: that bio looks like it was written by a 10 year old. Ciaran... Ciaran...... Ciaran.....)

Double post: May as well make use of it. Surprising Renua couldn't find their usual entrenpeneur/professional class candidate to beat the drum for their pro business/lower taxation. This guy seems more like a Labour or Sinn Fein cadidate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭CZ 453

They could run Jesus and he'd struggle for that 4th seat. That dude is just been blooded for the future. It's the group of death. Coveney, Martin, McGrath, Lynch, Buttimer, and a strong outsider in O Laoighaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

I see Renua finally have announced a candidate.

I'm genuinely surprised by this as Renua have had their candidate information up for ages (since November maybe?)... and I noticed back then there was nobody for CSC, but there was someone for other Cork constituencies.. and in more recent checks there had been no update, even just over a week ago. I'd more or less dismissed the idea of there being a Renua candidate because they did go through the whole selection process a few months ago and I thought the whole thing was done and dusted. I'm bemused why they would give it a go at what is in my view, such a late stage (despite an election not even being called yet) relative to their own activities in selection process (edit: except, as above, to give them the experience of it.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

orthsquel wrote: »
    I'm genuinely surprised by this as Renua have had their candidate information up for ages (since November maybe?)... and I noticed back then there was nobody for CSC, but there was someone for other Cork constituencies.. and in more recent checks there had been no update, even just over a week ago. I'd more or less dismissed the idea of there being a Renua candidate because they did go through the whole selection process a few months ago and I thought the whole thing was done and dusted. I'm bemused why they would give it a go at what is in my view, such a late stage (despite an election not even being called yet) relative to their own activities in selection process (edit: except, as above, to give them the experience of it.)

more than likely a dry run for the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

(Side note: that bio looks like it was written by a 10 year old. Ciaran... Ciaran...... Ciaran.....)

8,500,000 people on the housing list in Cork City. I know Cork is great and all, and that everyone wants to live here, but seriously...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Such is my lack of interest in politicians I'm just going to vote the old reliable back in, Jack Lynch number one for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

8,500,000 people on the housing list in Cork City. I know Cork is great and all, and that everyone wants to live here, but seriously...

My God, that's so bad.

It's also quite depressing what choice there is in CSC, especially when 3 of the seats look a dead cert already. Last time round I voted Labour but I'm not exactly sure what it is they did in government that they deserve another shot. I guess that's always the problem with the smaller party in a joint government.

I won't touch SF or FF with a barge poll. I don't believe in what the AAA are doing... good voice to have in opposition. I've no interest in GP or either of the Independents. Which leaves me FG. A strong Renua candidate might have been interesting but Ciaran "2,500 thousand" Kenneally doesn't inspire confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭kub

Eight and a half million people on the Cork City Housing waiting list? From where ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Well, it's official: College Road is now in CNC. :( I work as a presiding officer at elections and could always transfer my vote to the polling station (Southside, obvs) where I worked. Got a letter from the City Sheriff last week letting me know that I would need to apply for a postal vote if I wanted to vote in "my" constituency of CNC. Needless to say, I didn't bother my arse applying!

No sympathy for you so! Most people work on election day and have to move things around in order to vote nobody is forcing you to be a presiding officer sounds like you have more interest in coin than democracy !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,385 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

kub wrote: »
    Eight and a half million people on the Cork City Housing waiting list? From where ;)

The Renua candidate mentioned that there are 8,500 thousand people on waiting list.. :rolleyes:
    Bacchus wrote: »
    It's also quite depressing what choice there is in CSC

I would say CSC is very well served with choice. Some excellent candidates available across a number of parties. Try coming to the northside, we have a bunch of absolute gombeens available to vote for, massive difference in quality between the 2 constituencies...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

dulpit wrote: »
    I would say CSC is very well served with choice. Some excellent candidates available across a number of parties. Try coming to the northside, we have a bunch of absolute gombeens available to vote for, massive difference in quality between the 2 constituencies...

I guess the FF, FG and Labour candidates are strong but I don't see a strong alternative that appeals to me... that's probably more of a nationwide problem really as opposed to a CSC problem :o

• Advertisement

The Renua candidate mentioned that there are 8,500 thousand people on waiting list.. :rolleyes:

I quoted a previous poster who had the following figure down which is 8,500,000. So i am not sure where your :rolleyes: is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

I quoted a previous poster who had the following figure down which is 8,500,000. So i am not sure where your :rolleyes: is coming from.

Get out you calculator, multiply 8,500 x thousand, then return here and accept your :rolleyes:

Original post is above
    CianDon wrote: »
    Get out you calculator, multiply 8,500 x thousand, then return here and accept your :rolleyes:

I don't need a calculator for that, i am not sure what you require to read the above post though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

I would say CSC is very well served with choice. Some excellent candidates available across a number of parties.

You could argue they're not the worst pick certainly but have they delivered for the area ?

Local facilities/community centre's - no
    Cork Airport - no, arguably outside the direct area but huge knock on impact.
    Event Centre - no
    P ui C - is a mess, no
    Jobs - yes to a reasonable extent
    Infrastructure - Blackrock village is a nightmare now at peak times and the double decker buses can barely get down the road. Plus the decade long promises of development of the village. No.
    Taxes - sky high
    Disposable income - bolloxed for most people as you see in local businesses
    Local library - no

So l'm disappointed in their performance, particularly the ones in power, they simply have not delivered for the area at all.

As for FF, simply Q to them, who are they going into power with ? they seem to have committed to nobody, so whats the point voting for an opposition party. Mind you loads will vote for FF anyway as that's the way we roll in South Central.

The :rolleyes: was for the Renua candidate, not any poster here.. (sorry for any confusion caused)

clerk wrote: »
    You could argue they're not the worst pick certainly but have they delivered for the area ?

Local facilities/community centre's - no
    Cork Airport - no, arguably outside the direct area but huge knock on impact.
    Event Centre - no
    P ui C - is a mess, no
    Jobs - yes to a reasonable extent
    Infrastructure - Blackrock village is a nightmare now at peak times and the double decker buses can barely get down the road. Plus the decade long promises of development of the village. No.
    Taxes - sky high
    Disposable income - bolloxed for most people as you see in local businesses
    Local library - no
    Apart from taxes and arguably the airport, all the other issues you mention are for local councillors, not national representatives....

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

Apart from taxes and arguably the airport, all the other issues you mention are for local councillors, not national representatives....

Yes, but when you talk to Councillors all they keep telling you is that they don't have the budgets. So they're either useless or irrelevant.

The local TD's are supposed to represent the area and they seem to the only people that can influence budgets so we'll agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

Anyone noticed the election posters for Mikey Martin have lopped off the very top of his head? A friend pointed it out to me & now that's all I can see when I look at them :)

15n92l3.jpg

opus wrote: »
    Anyone noticed the election posters for Mikey Martin have lopped off the very top of his head? A friend pointed it out to me & now that's all I can see when I look at them :)

15n92l3.jpg

Maybe he's particularly sensitive about a bald spot? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

opus wrote: »

They've also 'lopped off' his shoulders. Don't shoulders matter to your friend!? Won't somebody think of the shoulders!

:D Or, it's zoomed in.

Advertisement