Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork South Central in Next General Election

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well at least we can wave goodbye to lynch, good riddance

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

jank wrote: »
    Well at least we can wave goodbye to lynch, good riddance

+1000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Ludo wrote: »
    LOL. Are you serious? Why on earth would Martin be in trouble? He has a very good chance of being next Taoiseach (coz people are stupid and will vote FF again). People will vote for him because of this. There is no way on earth the FF leader and potential taoiseach will not be elected in Cork South Central..

In my opinion Martin is in more trouble then people seem to realise, within his own party there are numerous people who want him out,

he has surrounded himself by a small group of "yes" people who tell him what he wants to hear ALL the time, and he is burning bridges with the more sensible people because he won't hear/doesn't like what they have to say, Averil Power isn't the only party member who feel's like that in my opinion but i am only an outsider looking in.

As for the electorate voting him in, we all know politics is about the grassroots, what you do for the people in your area, whether we agree or not it's what get's politicians elected, and while he will ask for "the party leader needs your vote" he has burned so many bridges with the public too,

between his "i'm too important to talk to you" attitude and his former secretary (currently a councillor) not even trying to help you, that is if you were lucky enough that she didn't hang up the phone on you straight away you'll see a lot of people are annoyed with him, we saw this with her local election results that even with him backing her to the hilt, the support for that camp are low. very low, she got the lowest amount of votes in that election of the 3 FF candidates.

if you talk to people in douglas his home town essentially, you will find hundreds of voters who will tell you they would have voted for him before but another td/councillor came to their aid and they are getting the votes this time,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I still can't ever see him losing his seat Hoodwinked or even coming close. I think he will top the poll again. He did last time when FF were being decimated across the country.
    The way things are going for him recently though, he may not be party leader for the election.

I hope you are right though. The fewer FF tds the better.

I hope you are right though. The fewer FF tds the better.

to be fair, i used to be very FF now i am more of "it depends on the person"

but i don't think you can judge a candidate by their party, i wouldn't be fond of the green party but i gave their candidate my number 2 in the locals.

so i don't think it's fair to say "the fewer FF td's the better" there are good candidates and bad candidates in all party's!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

sozbox wrote: »
    The 1000+ IW/Abtran contract/Local Authority staff working in Cork might disagree with you there...

Abtran are a crap company to work for so we would be doing the employees a favour.

They are always looking for staff because of the high turn over of disillusioned staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

mikeym wrote: »
    Abtran are a crap company to work for so we would be doing the employees a favour.

They are always looking for staff because of the high turn over of disillusioned staff.

Making people unemployed is doing them a favor?? Are you for real.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Martin lives in Ballinlough not Douglas and id be surprised if he doesn't top the poll.

Making people unemployed is doing them a favor?? Are you for real.

So we rob from Peter to pay Paul.

I have enough bills to be paying for and I dont recognise Irish Water so I wont be giving them a cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Martin lives in Ballinlough not Douglas and id be surprised if he doesn't top the poll.

Ballinlough with a high proportion of senior citizens, so civil war politics and indeed local issues go a long way there.

• Advertisement

So we rob from Peter to pay Paul.

I have enough bills to be paying for and I dont recognise Irish Water so I wont be giving them a cent.

So you want me and others to pay for your water through higher taxes? Get real and pay your way.

Back on topic I think FF will get 2 seats in Cork SC. FG 1 and SF 1. Lynch and Buttimer to lose out.

Also originally from Turners Cross not Douglas. Will pull in massive votes in that area as well.

Also originally from Turners Cross not Douglas. Will pull in massive votes in that area as well.

i know that but essentially Douglas is the town that is most local to ballinlough in the constituency and considering south central's main high numbers come from the likes of the larger suburbs such as Douglas, Blackrock, Carrigaline, Ringaskiddy/Passage west. Douglas is essentially his "home town" so burning bridges there is just doing harm to his votes, especially with the FG/sinn fein/independents building a hell of a lot of bridges...

Im not going to mention the water anymore on this thread it doesnt seem to be an issue with people here.

What Cork South Central needs is a strong independent candidate who's not afraid to speak his/her mind and to challenge the government someone like Ming Flanagan.

Whats the bloody point in voting for Fianna Fail, Labour and Fine Gael, we need to weed out the crappy politicians who constantly lie to us year in year out.

I can see 2 FG and 2 FF get reelected next year :(

What Cork South Central needs is a strong independent candidate who's not afraid to speak his/her mind and to challenge the government someone like Ming Flanagan.

Whats the bloody point in voting for Fianna Fail, Labour and Fine Gael, we need to weed out the crappy politicians who constantly lie to us year in year out.

I can see 2 FG and 2 FF get reelected next year :(

Independent not going to get elected in CSC. As you say..2 FF 2 FG. Unless there is some MAJOR event to change this...i.e. Martin gone as leader may reduce FF to one and let in one SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

hoodwinked wrote: »
    between his "i'm too important to talk to you" attitude and his former secretary (currently a councillor) not even trying to help you, that is if you were lucky enough that she didn't hang up the phone on you straight away you'll see a lot of people are annoyed with him, we saw this with her local election results that even with him backing her to the hilt, the support for that camp are low. very low, she got the lowest amount of votes in that election of the 3 FF candidates.

To be fair, the man is the leader of the largest opposition party in our country's parliament. He should really be focused on matters of national importance rather than sorting out people's medical cards or fixing street lamps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It's hard to know really. I think Averil and others leaving FF and Martin perhaps not coming out of it wonderfully has definitely changed how more liberal voters might see FF in general. There had been a sense of a breath of fresh air and change coming. That's largely been extinguished now.

I'm not saying he won't get back in, but it'll have an impact on his polling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cianharr

Martin has no affiliation with Douglas at all, but I do know he will get a generous vote there given his connections to Nemo GAA on the south douglas road and the gaeilscoil on the grange road which he gave the go ahead for as minister for education. Unlike Mcgrath and Buttimer who have been hit by boundary changes Martin has not. Cant see him polling below his 17% at 2011.

Lynch will certainly lose out. Its between SF, Mcgrath and Buttimer for final seat with Coveney being safe also. Given SC has a large university presence will the young newly registered liberal voters give the nod to Buttimer over Mcgrath for his work on the referendum.

Also any news on the likes of Finn, Mccarthy or the Independent lady who was elected at the council election?

cianharr wrote: »
    Martin has no affiliation with Douglas at all, but I do know he will get a generous vote there given his connections to Nemo GAA on the south douglas road and the gaeilscoil on the grange road which he gave the go ahead for as minister for education. Unlike Mcgrath and Buttimer who have been hit by boundary changes Martin has not. Cant see him polling below his 17% at 2011.

Lynch will certainly lose out. Its between SF, Mcgrath and Buttimer for final seat with Coveney being safe also. Given SC has a large university presence will the young newly registered liberal voters give the nod to Buttimer over Mcgrath for his work on the referendum.

Also any news on the likes of Finn, Mccarthy or the Independent lady who was elected at the council election?

Just there you described how the majority of the Irish electorate think. Give him a vote to national parliament all because he did this or that over the road.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

kub wrote: »
    Just there you described how the majority of the Irish electorate think. Give him a vote to national parliament all because he did this or that over the road.:rolleyes:

tbf that is due to the deficit in power between local and national politics. Councillors are unable to do much more than lobby for something. Due to the centralised nature of how infrastructure and funds are decided, for the most part you are better off looking for your TD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Only realised from reading this thread yesterday that it looks like I will be shunted from the Cork South Central constituency to Cork North Central in the next election. I live on College Road. It's hard to tell definitively where the constituency boundary is from the map: can anyone confirm whether College Road has been moved to CNC?

I know it's a first-world problem but I would not be happy with this situation at all. I am currently represented by top-class public servants in Simon Coveney, and Michael Martin; people with power and gravitas. Am I supposed to start depending on Billy Kelleher and Kathleen Lynch (should they retain their seats) to represent me now??

More serious questions also come to mind. In particular, what will this change do to property prices in the area? Will my children start being bullied as "Norries" while attending their prestigious Southside schools. Are they likely to pick up "the accent" from living in the Northside constituency? Most worryingly of all: is my teenage daughter at risk of putting on a lot of weight and becoming a single mum?

I'm at my wits end here. Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Only realised from reading this thread yesterday that it looks like I will be shunted from the Cork South Central constituency to Cork North Central in the next election. I live on College Road. It's hard to tell definitively where the constituency boundary is from the map: can anyone confirm whether College Road has been moved to CNC?

I know it's a first-world problem but I would not be happy with this situation at all. I am currently represented by top-class public servants in Simon Coveney, and Michael Martin; people with power and gravitas. Am I supposed to start depending on Billy Kelleher and Kathleen Lynch (should they retain their seats) to represent me now??

More serious questions also come to mind. In particular, what will this change do to property prices in the area? Will my children start being bullied as "Norries" while attending their prestigious Southside schools. Are they likely to pick up "the accent" from living in the Northside constituency? Most worryingly of all: is my teenage daughter at risk of putting on a lot of weight and becoming a single mum?

Slime-on son of Hugh look after the boys and Mehole the teacher the only thing those 2 are top class at is feathering their own nest.

byronbay2 wrote: »

What College Rd in CNC, what about The Bons and UCC have they also gone that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

As far as I can work out on the very bad maps available, it looks like the Glasheen/wilton roads will be the new border

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

kub wrote: »
    What College Rd in CNC, what about The Bons and UCC have they also gone that way?

Yeah, all CNC now by the look of things - even Pres ffs! I don't think The Poor Clares will be very happy about this either, although they will probably not be too vocal with their complaints!

Little Cork in-joke there!

I see FG are just running their sitting TDs

Hopefully that's the end of Deirdre Clune's political career then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I see FG are just running their sitting TDs

Hopefully that's the end of Deirdre Clune's political career then.

Once the supply of money is there Clune will always be able to $ecure a nomination if she want's it.

Clune is an MEP, pretty sure her political career is doing fines

Clune is an MEP, pretty sure her political career is doing fines

urgh forgot about that

• Advertisement

Not much value in the PP market:

PDJm72L.png

5 candidates are odds on despite the fact there are only 4 seats :rolleyes:

Advertisement