Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular GAA opinions you hold

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Yeah sure look at Dublin last year

Beat Westmeath
    The chokers Kildare
    Div 3 Meath
    Cork under Counihan
    An old Kerry team
    and Mayo who collapsed as per usual

Not to mention they played all there games at home.

HANDY

Oh and not to forget Tyrone in 2008 (One of the best teams to ever win an all-ireland)

Lost to Down 1st round
    Beat Louth
    Westmeath
    The collapsers Mayo
    A ****e Dublin
    WEXFORD - Feckin WEXFORD in an AI semi
    and Kerry who we all know only got there coz of there handy route,Plus they were never a great team coz they never proved themselves

Still quite sensitive you got a good beating by Tyrone 3 times in a row I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

I quite like Ger Canning's voice and I feel it would be strange to watch an All-Ireland Final without listening to him (even if other commentators may be more accurate.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

In a sport that does not lend itself to excitement I think Dublin are and always were the most entertaining Gaelic football team to watch. I love it when they beat Kerry and Cork especially.

Oddly enough, SO DO WE !!! :D:D:D

Especially Kerry.

Dunno what you mean by football not lending itself to excitement? I've been to & watched many a cracker. My heart still isn't isn't quite back to normal after last years epic semi final against Kerry. Granted watching two ultra defensive teams grit out a 0-8 to 0-6 result, may not set the world on fire, but not every game is like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I always cheer for Dublin when Kerry aren't playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Prop Joe wrote: »
    From the dual county that is Mayo :rolleyes:

That is changing too in mayo.

"Hurling snobs" are crippled by an inferiority complex masquerading as a superiority complex, hence the need to run football down constantly even though nobody cares what they think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Dunno what you mean by football not lending itself to excitement? I've been to & watched many a cracker. My heart still isn't isn't quite back to normal after last years epic semi final against Kerry. Granted watching two ultra defensive teams grit out a 0-8 to 0-6 result, may not set the world on fire, but not every game is like that.

That was by far the best inter-county match last year, over both codes. Football is great when it's free-flowing, pity it doesn't happen more often though.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    They were not much better, they were marginally better as reflected by the one point victory after a replay. McHale deserved to be sent off, for stupidity if nothing else but the referee punished one side more than the other by not sending off a player of equal value for Meath and he had at least 10 to choose from. Meath would still have won.
    My unpopular opinion is that GAA fans, particularly those who never played the games or played them poorly, are incapable of objective rational thought or maybe any thought at all.

Strongly disagree. Colm coyle was hardly in the same league of importance as mchale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Anything to do with hurling is an art including being a snob.

Kilkenny have every right to be arrogant, being anything else would be to understate our greatness.

He is not called Henry the 8th or the 7th or the 6th or the 5th or the 4th or the 3d or the 2nd or the 1st. He is Henry the 9thhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh soon enough to be Henry the 10thhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Miccoli wrote: »
    Well ahead of armagh at half time in 02 and lost
    favourites against Tyrone in 03 and lost , lost in 05 again and were hot favourites in 08 again and lost again after being well ahead.
    Probably the worst collapse ever against Dublin in 2011.

Alot of there all ireland wins were very handy.

4 points ahead of Armagh in 2002...2 kicks of a ball is NOT "well ahead".
    Well beaten by a better Tyrone team in 2003.
    2005 final was a top notch game,best final I've seen.
    Kerry were never well ahead in 2008, so you're wrong again. Leading by 1 at halftime.
    You then mentioned 2011, but you were talking about the 2000's..tying yourself up in knots.

Kilkenny have every right to be arrogant, being anything else would be to understate our greatness.

He is not called Henry the 8th or the 7th or the 6th or the 5th or the 4th or the 3d or the 2nd or the 1st. He is Henry the 9thhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh soon enough to be Henry the 10thhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

If I was from Kilkenny I'd be embarrassed by your carry on...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Great thread.

Kieran Donaghy is one of the most overrated players in recent times. He was brilliant back in the day, but he's been average for years and should have been dropped long before last season.

Dubs 2011 were the worst AI winning team in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭GBXI

I love these "unpopular opinion" threads online because you very quickly see who the people are who haven't a clue what they're talking about.

Like the poster(s) above who reckons Cluxton is over-rated because he doesn't make many saves or isn't great under the high ball. He doesn't make many saves because he doesn't have to - he has a very good defence on front of him. He might not be perfect under the high ball, but given his average height, he is still very good. And the reason he will go down as the greatest keeper of all time is because he has nearly revolutionised the game of football with his kick-outs. He is an incredibly gifted passer of the ball from tee, ground, or hand. He has raised the bar for all other goalies - not sure there's higher praise you can give a player.

Anyway, my unpopular opinion (not sure how unpopular it is though) is that modern day Gaelic football, at inter-county level, is incredibly entertaining, particularly when the top teams play each other.

You hear a lot of people give out about it, how they feel negative, defensive tactics are ruining the game, but I think it's simply evolving and it's evolving into something very entertaining. For example, and this is coming from a Mayo-man, the Donegal AI winning team of 2 years ago were one of the most entertaining teams to win an AI. They defended in numbers and attacked at pace in numbers - skillful, fast, tactically-astute, football. And that is now the way all top teams are trying to play - because it's the most effective. Mayo, Donegal, Dublin, Cork, Kerry, Tyrone - they are leading the pack and I find it's excellent to watch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

MacBizzle wrote: »
    That was by far the best inter-county match last year, over both codes. Football is great when it's free-flowing, pity it doesn't happen more often though.

By far?

Cork v Dublin
    Clare v Cork (both All Ireland finals)
    Kilkenny v Tipp
    Limerick v Tipp
    Kilkenny v Waterford
    Limerick v Clare

It was Far better than all those games?

I don't think so. Last year was the best year I can remember for hurling, all the above games were excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Waterford vs. Kilkenny last year was the best game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Strongly disagree. Colm coyle was hardly in the same league of importance as mchale.

Read my post again, thats exactly my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Kilkenny v Waterford contained a serious lack of basic skill though. Entertaining, but in terms of skill the quality was so poor.

Dublin vs Kerry had everything.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

andyman wrote: »
    Kilkenny v Waterford contained a serious lack of basic skill though. Entertaining, but in terms of skill the quality was so poor.

Dublin vs Kerry had everything.

In what sense was it lacking skill? Some of the most skillful players in the country on show.

McAuley is a little overrated and shouldn't have won POTY last year, Lee Keegan should have.

Marc O'Sé is the best of the 3 O'Sés but he plays the least fashionable position.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    By far?

Cork v Dublin - Ignoring Cork because I'm from there, bias etc.
    Clare v Cork (both All Ireland finals) - See above,
    Kilkenny v Tipp - I thought this was quite poor?
    Limerick v Tipp - Didn't get to see this game tbh
    Kilkenny v Waterford - Really? Waterford should have been well out of it, the ref's the only reason it was as close as it was imo
    Limerick v Clare - Too one sided

It was Far better than all those games?

I don't think so. Last year was the best year I can remember for hurling, all the above games were excellent.

See the quote for my opinions^^^^^^

In terms of quality I thought the Dublin vs. Kerry game was far better than all of those.

Cork were shocking in the first final, not as bad in the second but still weren't near as good as Clare. The Dublin/Cork match was messy at times.

Last year was a great year entertainment wise for hurling but the quality wasn't near as good as previous years.

Tbh if you asked me my favourite hurling game from last year it would have been Cork vs. Kilkenny.

If I was from Kilkenny I'd be embarrassed by your carry on...

Well the thread does say unpopular opinion, it never said sane, rational or well thought out not even mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

Great thread.

Dubs 2011 were the worst AI winning team in a long time.

What about the Cork team the year before that struggled to beat a Down team that has done absolutely nothing since?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,417 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

In recent years Kerry are NOT a different animal when they get to Croke Park.

Sine 09 they have only beaten Mayo, Limerick and Cavan.
    They have lost to
    Down, Donegal and Dublin x 2.

Yet you will hear it all summer 'wait till Kerry get to Croke park bla bla bla.....'

What about the Cork team the year before that struggled to beat a Down team that has done absolutely nothing since?

That was more to do with a joke of a manager tbf, although I don't see the logic behind the Dubs in 2011 being the worst winners in a long while, I thought they were at really good team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,962 ✭✭✭blackwhite

GBXI wrote: »
    I love these "unpopular opinion" threads online because you very quickly see who the people are who haven't a clue what they're talking about.

Like the poster(s) above who reckons Cluxton is over-rated because he doesn't make many saves or isn't great under the high ball. He doesn't make many saves because he doesn't have to - he has a very good defence on front of him. He might not be perfect under the high ball, but given his average height, he is still very good. And the reason he will go down as the greatest keeper of all time is because he has nearly revolutionised the game of football with his kick-outs. He is an incredibly gifted passer of the ball from tee, ground, or hand. He has raised the bar for all other goalies - not sure there's higher praise you can give a player.

Anyway, my unpopular opinion (not sure how unpopular it is though) is that modern day Gaelic football, at inter-county level, is incredibly entertaining, particularly when the top teams play each other.

You hear a lot of people give out about it, how they feel negative, defensive tactics are ruining the game, but I think it's simply evolving and it's evolving into something very entertaining. For example, and this is coming from a Mayo-man, the Donegal AI winning team of 2 years ago were one of the most entertaining teams to win an AI. They defended in numbers and attacked at pace in numbers - skillful, fast, tactically-astute, football. And that is now the way all top teams are trying to play - because it's the most effective. Mayo, Donegal, Dublin, Cork, Kerry, Tyrone - they are leading the pack and I find it's excellent to watch.

Cluxton will go down as one of the best of the modern era - no doubt about it.
    BUT, a lot of the credit that he gets for his kick-outs should also be given to his midfield and half-back/half-forward lines.
    Cluxton often struggles when he's forced to pick out a man in tight space (as Laois showed last weekend).
    The success of Cluxton's kick-outs is largely down to the space created, and by the quality of movement and runs from the midfielders. It's not the hardest thing in the world to deliver a placed ball into 30/40 yards of space.

Where Cluxton does deserves most of the credit is, from what I've been told, he is largely responsible for Dublin adopting this system as he was the one who suggested adopting it as the way they could nearly guarantee possession from restarts, instead of midfield having to contest a high ball.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Lads and ladies, I can see this thread getting out of hand, so I want to limit the posts to posting unpopular opinions, without debate if that person is right or wrong - if people hold that opinion then they can do so, without being attacked for it. Some interesting posts coming out - but I don't want it to get into slagging matches between people - if that happens we'll just lock it. Any highly insulting posts without reason/trolling type posts particularly about fans and players will be deleted and the posters punished appropriately

That was more to do with a joke of a manager tbf, although I don't see the logic behind the Dubs in 2011 being the worst winners in a long while, I thought they were at really good team.

I agree with this. They struggled to win it but had a very strong team - Canty, Murphy, O'Neill, Goulding, Kerrigan, Shields. They had a great panel and that should have been the start of a team challenging for multiple AIs, Counihan ruined them though.

Lads and ladies, I can see this thread getting out of hand, so I want to limit the posts to posting unpopular opinions, without debate - if people hold that opinion then they can do so, without being attacked for it. Some interesting posts coming out - but I don't want it to get into slagging matches between people - if that happens we'll just lock it. Any highly insulting posts without reason/trolling type posts particularly about fans and players will be deleted and the posters punished appropriately

Does discussion = debate? As in, can we comment on an opinion without being argumentative, or is it now simply a case of posting just unpopular opinions and nothing else?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Does discussion = debate? As in, can we comment on an opinion without being argumentative, or is it now simply a case of posting just unpopular opinions and nothing else?

You can discuss without being argumentative, if things get argumentative, we go down the second route of just opinion and no place to agree or disagree nicely. Any person using it to be a WUM is banned.

I've just clarified the warning, should have read it again before posting

blackwhite wrote: »
    Cluxton will go down as one of the best of the modern era - no doubt about it.
    BUT, a lot of the credit that he gets for his kick-outs should also be given to his midfield and half-back/half-forward lines.
    Cluxton often struggles when he's forced to pick out a man in tight space (as Laois showed last weekend).
    The success of Cluxton's kick-outs is largely down to the space created, and by the quality of movement and runs from the midfielders. It's not the hardest thing in the world to deliver a placed ball into 30/40 yards of space.

Where Cluxton does deserves most of the credit is, from what I've been told, he is largely responsible for Dublin adopting this system as he was the one who suggested adopting it as the way they could nearly guarantee possession from restarts, instead of midfield having to contest a high ball.

Agreed, the movement of the players is crucial to how good his kick-outs look. However, completely disagree with how hard you say it is. Some of his passes are into lots of space and easy to make, and he deserves credit for being so alert and taking it quickly, but a lot (especially in the AI final last year, where he should have been MOTM not BB by the way) are pinpoint accurate where there is little room for error, and the kick needs to be made very quickly before the opposition get set.

I didn't know he was the one who suggested/implemented it, but I would have guessed that he did. He is a very clever keeper by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

km79 wrote: »
    Dublin have an unfair advantage playing all their football games in Croke park ........ :p

Dublin have an unfair advantage because their population is ten times larger than the counties they are up against......or in the case of Laois last week, 16 times larger. And their sponsorship money is vastly higher also.

The fact that the matches are in Dublin compounds that again.

The Leinster championshiop is like a soccer tournament where Germany plays against Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales, Malta, Latvia, Cyprus and Iceland, and all the games are played in Berlin.

Dublin has won 9 of the past ten Leinster Championships. If they didnt have the back door to fall back on I'd say they'd have won all ten.

Its so loaded in Dublins favour that really its quite incredible that anyone else bothers.

GBXI wrote: »
    Agreed, the movement of the players is crucial to how good his kick-outs look. However, completely disagree with how hard you say it is. Some of his passes are into lots of space and easy to make, and he deserves credit for being so alert and taking it quickly, but a lot (especially in the AI final last year, where he should have been MOTM not BB by the way) are pinpoint accurate where there is little room for error, and the kick needs to be made very quickly before the opposition get set.

I didn't know he was the one who suggested/implemented it, but I would have guessed that he did. He is a very clever keeper by all accounts.

I've played in goals for more years than I care to remember at this stage :p, and you wouldn't believe how much easier it gets when you have a 30-40m space instead of a 10-20m space.
    I'm not saying that anyone can do it, but it with good positioning and movement from the outfield players it should be relatively easy for anyone who has aspirations of being a decent club keeper, never mind an intercounty one.
    Where Cluxton stands out is, as you said, his footballing intelligence (normally anyway - the incidents when he loses the head aside!) is as good as anyone in the game. Finding the space is one thing, Dublin usually have two/three pockets of space created for him. The key thing that he does, more often than not, is pick the correct one.
    It's very rare that the man Cluxton finds with the kickout loses possession. He always seems to take the option where the receiving player has the most options to take. No use finding a man in space if he doesn't have men nearby to support him.

In short, the praise for accuracy of his kick-outs is majorly overstated, his team make that part of it relatively easy.

Where the praise should be directed is towards his footballing brain for 1) getting them to use the system and 2) for his kick selection. The actual kicking is the easiest part!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

As I see it, from the 23 non-Ulster Counties, it is extremely unlikely that any County other than Dublin, Cork or Kerry will win an All Ireland Football Championship in the next 30 years.

Mayo may have a chance, but I think history shows they won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

King Henry was born in Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

eigrod wrote: »
    As I see it, from the 23 non-Ulster Counties, it is extremely unlikely that any County other than Dublin, Cork or Kerry will win an All Ireland Football Championship in the next 30 years.

Mayo may have a chance, but I think history shows they won't.

I'd see it slightly differently....

Its Dublin, Cork, Kerry plus one other.....

the one other can come from probably the following - Down, Donegal, Meath, Mayo, Galway, Tyrone. In any given year only one or two of these would even be credible. This year for example, there is no way Meath or Galway will win. But maybe in ten years they will.

It really couldnt see anyone else winning.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I'd see it slightly differently....

Its Dublin, Cork, Kerry plus one other.....

the one other can come from probably the following - Down, Donegal, Meath, Mayo, Galway, Tyrone. In any given year only one or two of these would even be credible. This year for example, there is no way Meath or Galway will win. But maybe in ten years they will.

It really couldnt see anyone else winning.

I take your point, except I did say non-Ulster Counties so that leaves Meath, Mayo & Galway. I think Ulster will get a few All Irelands in the next 30 years.

But I made my point on the basis of population & investment. I would even fear a little for Kerry - they have a big task facing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 davehedgehog

My Unpopular GAA Opinions
    1. Kilkenny have taken all enjoyment out of watching the game of hurling. Clare winning last year with their style of play was so popular and was a breath of fresh air.
    2. There are club and intercounty players who are / have taken substances that are on banned lists
    3. I dont take GAA fans from cities or large towns seriously.
    4. Marty Morrissey is not a ride

longshanks wrote: »
    King Henry was born in Waterford.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

2. There are club and intercounty players who are / have taken substances that are on banned lists

No doubt about this in my mind.

• Advertisement

4 points ahead of Armagh in 2002...2 kicks of a ball is NOT "well ahead".
    Well beaten by a better Tyrone team in 2003.
    2005 final was a top notch game,best final I've seen.
    Kerry were never well ahead in 2008, so you're wrong again. Leading by 1 at halftime.
    You then mentioned 2011, but you were talking about the 2000's..tying yourself up in knots.

I thought the 08 final was a lot better than 05 in my head having not watched 05 in a long time, we were well beaten in the end in 05 I thought at the time only for the Tomas goal putting a bit of gloss to it?

You sir, are a heathen. You should be banned for that comment alone.

I'd be shocked if, in the next 5/10 years, we don't have very specific allegations about either an individual or a team.

And this is why no one will ever take anything you post seriously again. In fact you should probably just close this account and start a new one.
    Everyone knows that Marty has an almost gravitational pull on any young lass fortunate enough to fall within sight of "the forehead." :pac:

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Read my post again, thats exactly my point.

I see what happened . I replied to the incorrect post . So yes it was in agreement . And we most likely would have sneaked it with mchale on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Kilkenny fans superior attitude and seeming divine right to win everything is extremely grating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Kilkenny have taken all enjoyment out of watching the game of hurling.

The strange thing is I remember the great Kerry side of the 80s, and ppl were genuinely sad when they finally went over the hill. Must have been all the great characters on the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 davehedgehog

And this is why no one will ever take anything you post seriously again. In fact you should probably just close this account and start a new one.
    Everyone knows that Marty has an almost gravitational pull on any young lass fortunate enough to fall within sight of "the forehead." :pac:[/QUOTE]

i have seen his powers first hand. Was in a hotel bar with an IC team a few years ago and Marty walked in. There was an actual queue of women to talk to him. The players were all standing around the bar and no one near them. Personally I don't see it

I've played in goals for more years than I care to remember at this stage :p, and you wouldn't believe how much easier it gets when you have a 30-40m space instead of a 10-20m space.
    I'm not saying that anyone can do it, but it with good positioning and movement from the outfield players it should be relatively easy for anyone who has aspirations of being a decent club keeper, never mind an intercounty one.
    Where Cluxton stands out is, as you said, his footballing intelligence (normally anyway - the incidents when he loses the head aside!) is as good as anyone in the game. Finding the space is one thing, Dublin usually have two/three pockets of space created for him. The key thing that he does, more often than not, is pick the correct one.
    It's very rare that the man Cluxton finds with the kickout loses possession. He always seems to take the option where the receiving player has the most options to take. No use finding a man in space if he doesn't have men nearby to support him.

In short, the praise for accuracy of his kick-outs is majorly overstated, his team make that part of it relatively easy.

Where the praise should be directed is towards his footballing brain for 1) getting them to use the system and 2) for his kick selection. The actual kicking is the easiest part!

Agree with a lot of what you say there, and I'd still point out that he is a very accurate passer of the ball - the most accurate of all keepers I'd say.

Anyway, the original point was that anyone who thinks he is over-rated really doesn't know what they're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Everyone knows that Marty has an almost gravitational pull on any young lass fortunate enough to fall within sight of "the forehead." :pac:

I think I just got a little sick in my mouth :P

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Kilkenny fans superior attitude and seeming divine right to win everything is extremely grating.

Aaahhh we're not all like that! Every county has the few eejits sure!

• Advertisement
Advertisement