Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

T0001 wrote: »
    Kevin Walsh will be picking a team from a blank canvass.

Good way to go. I hope he makes players want their places and keeps them competitive with each other. If you have 2 player wanting the same spot then performances have to go up and can only lead to better overall performances.

There was some promising play from the lads this year.
    2nd half v Mayo - 11pts and only copitulated twice
    2nd half v Kerry - 1-07 and only conceeded a JOD goal.

I think they need to develop two players + 1 sub that can score from outside the 45m at any given time. With blanket dfences having guys who can score from there would be a great asset. 1st half v. Kerry had 10 wides, a long range scorer sould have gotten 3-4 of those and would have put us in a better position imo.

They actually bossed Kerry for most of the first half but they really struggled to get scores. But the performance agains Kerry was very promising. If we are talking progression, Galway would have to target a semi-final next year. So that would mean winning Connacht and beating a qualifier or losing Connacht but beating a provincial winner. This Galway team looks like it doesn't fear Croke Park which was always a good omen in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

realweirdo wrote: »
    They actually bossed Kerry for most of the first half but they really struggled to get scores. But the performance agains Kerry was very promising. If we are talking progression, Galway would have to target a semi-final next year. So that would mean winning Connacht and beating a qualifier or losing Connacht but beating a provincial winner. This Galway team looks like it doesn't fear Croke Park which was always a good omen in the past.
    Progress is winning Connacht and nothing else .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Winning Connacht would be HUGE for Walsh & Galway next year. At the moment, they are still so far behind Mayo, that I see it being very unlikely. In all honesty, very few Galway players would make the Mayo team. Hanley maybe. Shane Walsh maybe. Lundy (based on recent form) maybe.

For me, progress would be to be competitive against Mayo in Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Can't decide whether to renew Hurling Season Ticket or buy a Football Season Ticket........ Advice??

Promotion to Division 1 shouldn't be ruled out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

Don't know if anybody here can think back to the mid 90's but Galway football was in fairly poor shape. If I remember right, we were playing in Div.3 of the league for one season. The turnover of players from 94-98 was huge. If you saw the team selection in '97 there was no way you would have seen an All-Ireland coming in '98. It was like a completely different team in '98 too.

With all the potential, Galway nearly dropped to Div. 3 this year, that shouldn't be happening to a team that plans to win Connacht. A quality Galway team should be driving hard though most of the opposition in Div.2. Until I see that, there will be no Connacht title.

I hope Walsh has a full clearout, keep the 5 or so interesting players. Get on with trying out some new players preferably with physical strength, maturity and experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Keeping just 5 players is a bit mad, where are the other 21 members of the panel going to come from? Not like club football is very strong ATM!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hurlers going into Leinster at U-21 and minor it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

FlashR2D2 wrote: »
    Don't know if anybody here can think back to the mid 90's but Galway football was in fairly poor shape. If I remember right, we were playing in Div.3 of the league for one season. The turnover of players from 94-98 was huge. If you saw the team selection in '97 there was no way you would have seen an All-Ireland coming in '98. It was like a completely different team in '98 too.

With all the potential, Galway nearly dropped to Div. 3 this year, that shouldn't be happening to a team that plans to win Connacht. A quality Galway team should be driving hard though most of the opposition in Div.2. Until I see that, there will be no Connacht title.

I hope Walsh has a full clearout, keep the 5 or so interesting players. Get on with trying out some new players preferably with physical strength, maturity and experience.

This is not true. Galway were in a very poor place in the early to mid 90's. However, the turn around in Galway football began in 1995, not in 1998. Some people believe Galway came from nowhere with a young team in 1998 and won an All-Ireland. It did not happen like that.

Galway had a good team in 1995 winning a competitive Connacht championship and losing narrowly to Tyrone. In 1996 and 1997, they lost to the AI finalists (Mayo) each year. In 1997, they gave them a very good match. Niall Finnegan produced one of my all time favourite forward displays in that match. In 1998, there was a confidence that Galway could beat Mayo. It may have been a quiet confidence but it was there. Galway were considered fresher than Mayo who had just had 2 long summers. In "A Year til Sunday", there is a clip from the Sunday Game where Tony Davis predicts that the winner of the Mayo - Galway match would get to the AI final. I suspect that if the back door was in place in 96 or 97, Galway may have done quite well.

It is a myth that the Galway 98 team was full of young players. That team consisted of experienced players like Finnegan, Fallon, Walsh, Mannion, Silke, Fahey & McNamara. I am not sure if all of them featured in 1995 but certainly most of them did. Then you had players like Fergal Gavin and Damien Mitchell in the subs who would have been on that 1995 team. All of these players contributed significantly to Galway's success in 1998. Sure, you needed young players like Joyce, Savage, Donnellan (although he featured also in 97) to come along and supplement the more experienced guys. But that team was a real mix of youth and experience.

Comparing this to the current Galway team. I think you have 3 or 4 players with decent experience: Hanley, Bradshaw, Armstrong, O'Donnell. you could potentially add Sice to that list. But I think that maybe only Hanley & Armstrong have a Connacht title? Maybe Bradshaw has one. Certainly, I think Galway are at a much lower ebb at the moment than they were in 1998.

Out of curiosity, who are the 5 players that you would keep? And who are the 20 better players in Galway that you would bring in?

Kevin Walsh is correct to begin with a blank canvass in the sense that players like Duane, Concannon, Sice might still have something to offer and could be brought back. However, I think he has to look at individual performances from the last couple of years to get to know the players better. Wiping the last couple of years from memory will not help you improve next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I can only think of 4 consistentish playera last year. Lundy, Walsh, Flynn and Bradshaw. Regardless it would be ridiculous to cut it down to even 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Hurlers going into Leinster at U-21 and minor it seems.

Seems to be Intermediate for the moment. Hope I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

What the hell happened to Turloughmore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

No idea here's the decision anyone know which rule has been broken?
    Investigation and Decision of Galway C.C.C.
    Turloughmore forfeit the game in question, played on 14th September, without Award of Game to Beagh. (Ref. Rule 7.4 (b)]
    Retrospectively, this changes the final Group C team placing as follows: Beagh now finish in 2nd place on 3 points and Turloughmore now finish in 3rd place on 2 points.
    As Beagh therefore qualified as the 2nd placed Team in Group C, Beagh shall play Ardrahan in the Quarter Final, as per the open draw (2nd placed Team in Group C V 2nd placed Team in Group D).
    This game to be played on Sunday 12th October 2014. 3.
    The drawn Quarter Final game between Turloughmore and Ardrahan, played on 27th September 2014, is declared to be null and void.
    In addition to imposing a penalty of forfeiture of the Game on Turloughmore (Ref 1. above), the GCCC will also commence the appropriate Disciplinary Action. [Ref. Rule 7.4 (b)]
    Note
    GSHC: Galway Senior Hurling Championship GCCC: Galway Competitions Control Committee
    Decided Galway Competitions Control Committee (GCCC) on 2nd October 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Fielding an ineligible player against both Beagh and Ardrahan. Apparently player had gone to the states to play making him ineligible to play in those games. A silly mistake to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

nootroc wrote: »
    Seems to be Intermediate for the moment. Hope I'm wrong.

I see the draws up for minor and u21 for Leinster for 2015 and no mention of Galway, for intermediate it just says TBC. Will it be in 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

I see the draws up for minor and u21 for Leinster for 2015 and no mention of Galway, for intermediate it just says TBC. Will it be in 2016?

Galway drawn against Kilkenny in the intermediate semi final. winners play wexford in the final.

I reckon this opens the door for the minors and u21's to enter leinster in 2016. The leinster council are having a vote on Oct 5th i think i read to allow Galway to enter or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

donnem33 wrote: »
    Galway drawn against Kilkenny in the intermediate semi final. winners play wexford in the final.

I reckon this opens the door for the minors and u21's to enter leinster in 2016. The leinster council are having a vote on Oct 5th i think i read to allow Galway to enter or not

What's the feeling in Galway on the minors and U21 in Leinster?

citykat wrote: »
    What's the feeling in Galway on the minors and U21 in Leinster?

Although I would prefer an open draw to take place, I am in favour of Galway entering leinster. Not sure how well they will be accepted though - apart from Kilkenny, im not sure if any other leinster county will want them competing at this level.

However, whats going to happen with the Quarter final pairing? I presume the ulster champions will be there along with the Munster and Leinster provincial finalists, however, who will make up the fourth team?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

donnem33 wrote: »
    Although I would prefer an open draw to take place, I am in favour of Galway entering leinster. Not sure how well they will be accepted though - apart from Kilkenny, im not sure if any other leinster county will want them competing at this level.

However, whats going to happen with the Quarter final pairing? I presume the ulster champions will be there along with the Munster and Leinster provincial finalists, however, who will make up the fourth team?

I would definitely be in favour of it; old 'anti-join-Leinster' thinking such as Mattie Murphy expressed in the wake of the semi' defeat to Limerick is simply antediluvian. The minors and U-21s starting out at the same level as their counterparts will have to benefit them in the long run - given the less than stellar success rate the seniors have enjoyed since going in, I can't see how other counties would fear them; beating KK should occupy their minds instead. GBFM said it may be up to 5 weeks before we'll know if there's a chance that it will happen.

So Jim is gone, bout a week to late!!! Seriously though what a loss to Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Kevin Walsh coming off the bench at 45 for Kilannin to win the Intermediate Championship today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Kevin Walsh coming off the bench at 45 for Kilannin to win the Intermediate Championship today!

Obviously great for himself and his club, but not a bad little PR move too going into the job. Just reinforces what a hero he was as a player. Speaking of this, Joyce comes out of retirement to score 1-4 in Killererins relegation playoff loss. Class is permanent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2014/1006/650335-galway-manager-walsh-wins-county-title-as-player/
    New Galway football manager Kevin Walsh won a county title yesterday as a player as Killanin won the Galway intermediate football championship for the first time in their history.
    The 45-year old, who was appointed Galway manager last Monday, was asked to come to the side's assistance when a number of injuries left them with limited resources.
    Walsh agreed to be a sub but his decision was kept under wraps and the former double All-Ireland senior medal winner was hoping he wouldn’t be required.
    But with six minutes remaining at Tuam Stadium against neighbours and arch rivals Moycullen, Killanin midfielder Eamon McDonagh was injured and Walsh was summed from the stand.
    The triple All Star winner won the first ball in the middle of the field which led to Killanin opening up a three-point lead and they held on to win by 0-13 to 0-10.

He was actually midfield when Killannin won the Intermediate county title in 1991.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

In Fairness that story is the stuff of legends in the GAA............. fair play Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mjp

Pllayed in intermediate west board final, also against moycullen in 1985(29 years ago).
    Amazing how a career pans out and what a way for him to finish his career.

Wudn't be suprised to see him tog out for Galway next year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Shane Walsh is up for YPOTY.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

Typical OTT!

Looks like Offaly and Westmeath are set against the minors and u21s entering leinster.

• Advertisement

Good draws for both Footballers and Hurlers.

Hurlers have one of their easiest routes to the Leinster Final imo. O.K. Dublin up first but honestly I think Galway will take them.

Footballers v. New York then Leitrim and Mayo, the latter two at home (I think) and a home Connacht Final if we're in it. Should really be up to Mayo and tha game should be 50/50, but will it, that is the question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement