Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular GAA opinions you hold

1212223242527»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

deadybai wrote: »
    Intercouty GAA managers should be only able to be manager with the county in which there club is apart of. Hate seeing 'outside' managers.

outside managers rarely win all irelands or have an impact on the bigger counties.

they are good however for the "weaker" counties in terms of taking them up a level - see Kildare 98 and Westmeath 2004 as the prime examples and i am sure theres 1 or 2 more examples there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

outside managers rarely win all irelands or have an impact on the bigger counties.

they are good however for the "weaker" counties in terms of taking them up a level - see Kildare 98 and Westmeath 2004 as the prime examples and i am sure theres 1 or 2 more examples there.

Charlie Mulgrew - Fermanagh - 2004
    Laois under Micko
    Wicklow under Micko
    Tommy Lyons in Offaly in 98
    Antrim under Liam Bradley 2009 -
    Limerick with Mikey Ned in Charge - 2008-2010
    Jason Ryan in Wexford - 2007 - 2011
    John Evans with Tipp - 2008 - 2012
    Malachy O'Rourke recent success with Monaghan

There are 100's of examples of outside managers doing good and bad but i think outside managers are a good thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Yeah but intercouty should be a showcase of the best of what they county has to offer. If they are a 'weaker' county then so be it. Its up to that county to get up to a higher standard set by other counties. I wouldn't have any problem with a knowledgeable outside manager coming in just to help out with how things are coached but it should be up to the home county coaches to implement what help has been given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,423 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Charlie Mulgrew - Fermanagh - 2004
    Laois under Micko
    Wicklow under Micko
    Tommy Lyons in Offaly in 98
    Antrim under Liam Bradley 2009 -
    Limerick with Mikey Ned in Charge - 2008-2010
    Jason Ryan in Wexford - 2007 - 2011
    John Evans with Tipp - 2008 - 2012
    Malachy O'Rourke recent success with Monaghan

There are 100's of examples of outside managers doing good and bad but i think outside managers are a good thing

None of the above were realistic AI contenders during those managerial periods, and mist success was short lived.
    Fermanagh and Wexford got to semi finals but that was against the odds as anything
    By the way you forgot Miko in '98 who got to a final.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Did John O'Mahony a Mayoman, not win two all-irelands managing Galway? Surely that's an example of an outside man having an impact on a bigger county?

I'd also include Micko managing Kildare in the same period as an example of the same. They were certainly AI contenders in the late 90s and even now (while probably not going to win anything) you could hardly describe them as a "weaker" county

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Offaly won three All Ireland Titles with outside managers: Eugene McGee (Longford), Eamonn Cregan (Limerick) and Michael Bond (Galway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

How would you describe a manager as "from" a club anyway? 99% of managers are retired players so wont be registered to a club in the playing sense. Maybe they'll be paying membership fees to their club and as such be a member, but I'm fairly sure an inventive county board could just get the outside manager to become a "member" of a club in their county for the 2 or 3 years, so that they'll technically be "from" a club in their county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Mickey Moran managed Mayo to an All Ireland final, managed Donegal to Ulster final losing to trhe rgeat Armagh team and managed Sligo to Connacht final losing to Mayo who reached All Ireland that year.

Feck it he has lost a fair few finals in his time.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

jmayo wrote: »
    Mickey Moran managed Mayo to an All Ireland final, managed Donegal to Ulster final losing to trhe rgeat Armagh team and managed Sligo to Connacht final losing to Mayo who reached All Ireland that year.

Feck it he has lost a fair few finals in his time.

he was shafted by mayo in my opinion. led them to their greatest win in years in 2006 and they got rid of him after losing to one of the best teams of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Yeah but I can see the argument. Why is it any different to a player coming in? A great player going to a weaker county might improve them drastically, but it's not allowed for reasons that seem just as applicable to managers. Especially since outside managers are always the ones who have rumours of massive payments circulating around them. Not saying I agree with the sentiment but I can see where he's coming from.

If expenses are the problem though then that is a different argument surely? As in "Outside managers being paid expenses shouldn't happen" which wouldn't be an unpopular opinion.

Pretty sure Justin McCarthy claimed nothing other than genuine expenses for managing Waterford for 7 years. He went to both Clare and Antrim to assist them similarly, which got him villainized within in his own Count. I would feel this was for the benefit of hurling that he did those things.

Great players have gone to other Counties to though, Larry Tompkins for example and successful ones at that. I would have an issue say if Tipp were trying to sign John Mullane for example or something like that, not sure would I have to much of a problem if someone moved to a weaker County for work and joined their Couny team, although personally I'd always wonder how they motivate themselves to play for a County that isn't their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

How would you describe a manager as "from" a club anyway? 99% of managers are retired players so wont be registered to a club in the playing sense. Maybe they'll be paying membership fees to their club and as such be a member, but I'm fairly sure an inventive county board could just get the outside manager to become a "member" of a club in their county for the 2 or 3 years, so that they'll technically be "from" a club in their county.

If a man is in the running to be an inter county manager there is a good chance that they are highly dedicated to the GAA and are more than likely good club men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

If a man is in the running to be an inter county manager there is a good chance that they are highly dedicated to the GAA and are more than likely good club men.

They could well be good club men, but he'd still have non playing membership of the club. They cant prevent him from taking out a similar membership in a different club, and hence being "from" that club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

They could well be good club men, but he'd still have non playing membership of the club. They cant prevent him from taking out a similar membership in a different club, and hence being "from" that club.

True but sure its an amateur organisation and if a man is going to pay for membership in any club, who is to stop him?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Offaly won three All Ireland Titles with outside managers: Eugene McGee (Longford), Eamonn Cregan (Limerick) and Michael Bond (Galway).

Add another 2 with Kilkenny man Dermot Healy at the helm in the early 1980s when they made the first break through.

Advertisement