Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people say that Fianna Fail is corrupt as a matter of fact ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

scr123 wrote: »
    ... the cabal left wing extremists led by the Labour Party who now have 100 years of failure behind them.

Yeah but their failures are in the halfpenny stakes in contrast to ff saddling the citizens of this country with debts of hundreds of billions ?

After all the great years of ff governments, what have we achieved ?
    A history of institutional child abuse and oh yeah we are back to having to watch our youth emigrate to get a decent life.

Some achivements to be proud of alright. :rolleyes:
    I am FF because when I look left or right I see nothing but convoluted disaster.

What do you see when you look behind you after you take your head out ... ?

BTW I am anti ff because all I see is the disaster ff have always made of our economy and the fact that it always costs me in the end.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

If the driver of a car is known to like a drink and run over people from time to time and you're a willing passenger having enabled his boozing or simply turned a blind eye, can you really plead innocence for any wrong doings which occur?

I'd go a step further with this analogy........immediately after they run over someone, you're the one who hands him his keys and says "drive on; don't worry about it - they'll forget this ever happened and we'll be fine again".

Add in the fact that most supporters seem to try to ignore, deflect and discredit justified criticisms as "bashing" or "bandwagon" or other such ridiculous and deluded slurs and you have a recipe for more of the same, with chronic inertia for accepting the facts and improving unless (a) the electorate start to demand better and (b) the more ethical members of the party start to stand their ground and demand better (which they won't for fear of getting sidelined).

Basically, while there do seem to be some sound-enough FF members who can accept the facts and hope for change, there are far, far too many who refuse point-blank to see the facts that are in front of them.

And if they - as members - don't "see a problem", then it doesn't exist. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Selkies

Yes the population are in part to blame for their government as is the case in any democracy, however you have to remember, these are professional politicians. It's their job to take advantage of any means in manipulation that helps in achieving their goal, and in the case of FF and any other successful politicians that includes the voters.

It would be nice if the way to get votes was to care deeply for the well being of the Irish state in the long term, but that is just not the case.

All we can do to change this is look to our own voting and ensure that our votes go to honest and responsible politicians that represent our views and encourage others to do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭jacaranda

Its hard to believe that some people are so ingrained to vote fianna fail that, even if it transpired FF had embarked on a programme of mass murder, they would still vote FF.

I am astonished at the lacklustre opposition shown by FG - FF have all but bankrupted the country and there are hundreds of thousands unemployed, yet the opposition, who will never again get an opportunity such as this to oppose, seem lacking in conviction or passion.

Ireland has been so impoverished by the FF party that its a wonder anyone votes for them.

Selkies wrote: »
    however you have to remember, these are professional politicians. It's their job to take advantage of any means in manipulation that helps in achieving their goal, and in the case of FF and any other successful politicians that includes the voters.

Then they have a skewed and corrupt idea of what their job is.

Because their job - and goal - should be to run the country for the benefit of all citizens.

Anything else is actually unprofessional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Wide Road

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Then they have a skewed and corrupt idea of what their job is.

Because their job - and goal - should be to run the country for the benefit of all citizens.

Anything else is actually unprofessional.

Last week proved how unprofessional the opposition is. It sent a bad message to the voters and will confuse many in the future especially with the front bench announcement to come next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

People..[]..go on and on about corruption until you ask them to make specific charges against the individuals associated with FF they constantly list. Like all cowards they stick to innuendo because they know to be specific will leave them open to possible legal proceedings.

The people who say FF is corrupt as a matter of fact are people who have never voted FF and generally people who are at this stage emotionally disturbed at their inability to beat FF where it counts, the ballot box.

Firstly its not my job to 'beat FF where it counts' and I'm not a member of any party so I dont take it personally if FG/Labour are 'perpetual losers' as you like to call them. Secondly, smearing those who raise concerns over ethics within FF as 'emotionally disturbed' is no way to discredit their concerns. Its weak.

Wiki entry on the Labour party includes no heading of 'Allegations of corruption'

Wiki entry on the FG party includes the following under 'Allegations of corruption'
    On 3 June 1999, Fine Gael made a voluntary disclosure and payment of £111,000 to the Revenue Commissioners for under-the-counter cash payments to its staff over a nine year period. This figure related to PAYE and PRSI arrears and included a similar figure for payment of interest.[42]
    In 2003, the Mahon Tribunal, set up to investigate allegations of corruption among Irish politicians, heard that Liam T. Cosgrave had accepted illegal payments from property developers in return for voting to rezone property in Dublin. He resigned from the Fine Gael party when this became known. On the 17 October 2005, the former senator pleaded guilty at the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to making a false or misleading report of a political donation.[43]
    Anne Devitt, a Fine Gael councillor was listed on 15 September 2009 as a tax defaulter by Revenue. Ms Devitt paid €50,000 in settlement of undeclared income tax and CGT, and interest and accumulated penalties. A Fine Gael spokeswoman was quoted as saying “Our understanding is that it was an oversight that has been fully resolved,” [44].
    2 names

Wiki entry on the FF party includes the following under 'Allegations of corruption'
    The party, along with its coalition partners, was re-elected in the 2002 general election. It has been hit by numerous scandals. (Founding father Frank Aiken refused to run in the 1973 general election because the party had Haughey as a candidate while first leader Éamon de Valera told a senior minister in 1970 that "Haughey will ruin the party."I]citation needed[/I
    Another former minister, Ray Burke, whom Ahern appointed to cabinet for a short time in 1997, was recently explicitly described by retired High Court judge, Fergus Flood in a tribunal of inquiry as "corrupt", and was jailed in January 2005 for tax offences. The privileged treatment accorded to Burke in prison was subsequently widely criticised, especially by Fine Gael.
    Former Fianna Fáil Government Press Secretary Frank Dunlop is giving evidence to a tribunal of inquiry in relation to his allegations that long-serving Fianna Fáil senators took bribes to arrange for planning permissions to be granted to particular property developers. Other councillors (past and present) from a number of parties, but predominantly from Fianna Fáil, are expected to be named. The tribunal has yet to judge the credibility or otherwise of Dunlop and his evidence.
    Former Fianna Fáil TD, Liam Lawlor was also accused of corrupt practices in relation to planning and development. He was jailed repeatedly for refusal to cooperate with the tribunal. He did not resign his Dublin West seat and continued to attend the Dáil, returning to Mountjoy Prison after the sessions, where he enjoyed most of the same privileges as Mr. Burke. Another TD, Beverley Cooper-Flynn of Mayo, was forced to resign from the party when it was revealed that she had advised people on how to illegally evade tax while working as a financial adviser for National Irish Bank. She was readmitted when she threatened to run as an Independent candidate, expelled again after she lost a libel action against RTÉ, and readmitted unanimously to the party shortly after Ahern's resignation.
    Kerry North TD Denis Foley was found to have held an Ansbacher bank account and subsequently could not seek re-election in 1997. Michael Collins of the Collins family dynasty in Limerick suffered a similar fate in 2002, when he was found to have evaded tax by the Revenue Commissioners.
    On 8 December 2005, Ivor Callely TD resigned his junior ministerial post after RTÉ News reported that a building contractor involved in public contracts had painted his house for free in the early 1990s. It was also revealed that Callely had offered to personally buy a new car for one of his civil service advisers, in an attempt to persuade the adviser not to leave their job. Apparently, Callely's department had an unusually high turnover of staff for some time under his stewardship [4].
    Bertie Ahern, in September 2006 admitted having received payments from "friends" in the early 1990s which he termed as a combination of loans and gifts totalling £48,000 while serving as Minister for Finance. Damaged by the controversy initially, which included admissions of appointing friends to state boards and not having a bank account while serving as Minister for Finance, support for the party in opinion polls rose after Ahern described the circumstances of the payments to the public in an interview with RTÉ television.[5] Former Taoiseach Albert Reynolds stated in a radio interview on RTÉ that he would have told Ahern that taking such payments was totally unacceptable. As the then Taoiseach he should have been informed by Ahern and would have been very clear that accepting the payments was wrong. He said that many other options were open to Ahern such as getting a bank loan. [6] After the payments controversy, polling data suggested that Bertie Ahern's increase in popularity due to the payments controversy was primarily a sympathetic reaction.
    In September 2007, Ahern testified over a four day period at the Mahon Tribunal about these payments and his explanations under oath varied from day to day, being described by one of the sitting judges as "polar opposite"[7]
    In April 2008 Ahern announced his intended resignation as Taoiseach and party leader, naming May 2008 as when he would step down. The announcement came during a period of increased disquiet over his evidence to the Mahon Tribunal, in particular denials of foreign currency lodgements, which were contradicted in evidence given by his former secretary, who accepted that paperwork before the tribunal indicated a sterling lodgement was made by her on his behalf.
    9 names

Even if you include the bit about FG members and the tribunals, FF still has the most corruption, and note the bit in bold about Lowry
    The Moriarty Tribunal has sat since 1997 and has investigated the granting of a mobile phone license to Esat Telecom by Michael Lowry when he was Fine Gael Minister for Transport, Energy and Communications in the Rainbow Coalition of the mid-1990s. Lowry resigned from the Cabinet after it was revealed at the Moriarty Tribunal that businessman Ben Dunne had paid for a IR£395,000 extension to Lowry's Tipperary home. Lowry, currently an independent TD, supports the Fianna Fáil–Green Party government in Dáil Éireann.
    Following revealations at the Moriarty Tribunal on the 16th February, 1999, in relation to Charles Haughey and his relationship with AIB, former Taoiseach Garret Fitzgerald confirmed that AIB and Ansbacher wrote off debts of almost £200,000 that he owed in 1993, when he was in financial difficulties because of the collapse of the aircraft leasing company, GPA, in which he was a shareholder. The write-off occurred after Dr Fitzgerald left politics and Dr. Fitzgerald also said he believed his then Fine Gael colleague, Peter Sutherland, who was chairman of AIB at the time, was unaware of the situation.[41]
    I'd not class Garret the Good as corrupt but even if we were to include him in a list of members with question marks over their heads then we get 3 FGers and 10 FFers. And this is in relation to corruption, not including ethical/criminal conduct - O'Dea, O'Donoghue, McDaid

So would you care to defend FF and describe another Irish mainstream party that have demonstrated more acceptance of corruption and questionable ethics within its ranks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭scr123

Firstly its not my job to 'beat FF where it counts' and I'm not a member of any party so I dont take it personally if FG/Labour are 'perpetual losers' as you like to call them. Secondly, smearing those who raise concerns over ethics within FF as 'emotionally disturbed' is no way to discredit their concerns. Its weak.

Wiki entry on the Labour party includes no heading of 'Allegations of corruption'

Wiki entry on the FG party includes the following under 'Allegations of corruption'
    2 names

Wiki entry on the FF party includes the following under 'Allegations of corruption'
    9 names

Even if you include the bit about FG members and the tribunals, FF still has the most corruption, and note the bit in bold about Lowry
    I'd not class Garret the Good as corrupt but even if we were to include him in a list of members with question marks over their heads then we get 3 FGers and 10 FFers. And this is in relation to corruption, not including ethical/criminal conduct - O'Dea, O'Donoghue, McDaid

So would you care to defend FF and describe another Irish mainstream party that have demonstrated more acceptance of corruption and questionable ethics within its ranks?

Allegations of corruption are meaningless unless followed up by criminal charges.If there is anyone with specific charges of criminal acts againt a member of FF I suggest they specify those charges and attend at a garda Station with evidence to enable An Garda Siochana proceed with a criminal investigation against those named persons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Wide Road wrote: »
    We forgot the ex minister that had John Bruton as his best friend. Oh sorry, wrong party. But that's ok, it's his ex party now.

Yes, because he was expelled from the party and will never be readmitted. Can't imagine FF doing that to "one of their own".

• Advertisement

Allegations of corruption are meaningless unless followed up by criminal charges.If there is anyone with specific charges of criminal acts againt a member of FF I suggest they specify those charges and attend at a garda Station with evidence to enable An Garda Siochana proceed with a criminal investigation against those named persons

In most proper democracies (not including Italy) allegations of corruption mean an end to a political career.

Well the Garda supposedly investigated mr ray burke back in the 70s and the same ray burke made sure that a journalists that raised concerns about him never worked in this country again.
    Hey didn't bertie have someone climbing trees in North County Dublin investigating him. :rolleyes:

Was Stroke Fahy included in the wiki list ?
    If FG have two councillors included then mr stroke fahy should be included.
    After all the same gent served time for his fraud and theft.

Don't forget to incldue 40 gaffs frank fahy who set up a compensation scheme that happend to give most of the money to two constituents. Another example of very questionable behaviour.
    goose2005 wrote: »
    Yes, because he was expelled from the party and will never be readmitted. Can't imagine FF doing that to "one of their own".

Don't forget the same ex FG politican is now supporting ff government. :rolleyes:
    Probably feels more at home now. :rolleyes:

Allegations of corruption are meaningless unless followed up by criminal charges.

Completely and utterly incorrect.

What are you saying ? That something that is not strictly criminal but is unethical, unfair and objectionable cannot be criticised ?
    1 a : to change from good to bad in morals, manners, or actions; also : bribe
    1 b : to degrade with unsound principles or moral values
    2 : rot, spoil
    3 : to subject (a person) to corruption of blood
    4 : to alter from the original or correct form or version <the file was corrupted>

intransitive verb
    1 a : to become tainted or rotten
    1 b : to become morally debased
    2 : to cause disintegration or ruin

Source: http://mw4.m-w.com/dictionary/corrupt

Do you see the word "illegal" in there anywhere ? Because I don't. Of all of the above, there is only one possible variation (underlined) that relates to your narrow stance - the "also: bribe" - which is merely an aside and one small factor in a true objective examination of whether something is corrupt.

Not only that, but criminal charges are only brought when there is sufficient proof; even assuming that your narrow legalese definition was correct, there is no guarantee that enough proof would ever be found in order to bring charges.

Again, though, that's only an aside; there is more than enough in the remaining (majority) of the definition to describe FF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Mr Ivor Callaghy is a perfect example. He will not be prosecuted by the DPP or investigated by the Guards, but claiming expenses from his west cork holiday home, while working and living in Clontarf is despicable.

And what have FF done about him? Nothing?? ...but they're not corrupt, right? Gimmie a break. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

They made me buy a 3 bed house for €500,000 and now i lost my job and it's totally their fault
    did you buy it for them or yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

hinault wrote: »
    Liam Lawlor (planning/corruption)
    Ray Burke (jailed for corruption/tax evasion)
    Charles Haughey (done for amongst things, accepting political donations, Des Traynor tax evasion schemes............)
    John Ellis.
    Denis Foley (tax evasion)
    Beverley Cooper Flynn (need I say more)
    Bertie Ahern (need I say more)
    Padraic Flynn (need I say more)
    Michael Collins TD Limerick (tax evasion)

dont forget Callelly -several reasons
    Willie O'Dee
    a few other fella's stand out, not for corruption but for 'unparlimentry' actions which were met with light legal consequences
    GV Wright - drink driving crashed into a pedestrian at the 5 lamps in Dublin
    Jim McDaid - went for a spin while p1ssed up the wrong side of a motor way.

also we cant forget how Bertie often helped so many of his mates out by giving them roles they were completely unqualified for
    Celia - onto National Consumers agency board
    Joe Burke - was appointed to board of Dublin Port Authority - yes this is the same guy who was accused of assualting a young woman in a malahide mansion on new years night a few years back, Burke was also accused while a councillor in the early '90's of trying to bride Tom Gilmartin,

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭freewheeler

In 2007 75% of the electorate did not vote FF. Thats a lot of people who want your blood, especially after the economic downturn. They are coming out of the woodwork all over the country to get a piece of the anti FF action. People who have never even voted in their lives are enjoying the moment of glory of at long last crucifying FF. On message boards like this threads are started time after time by perpetual political failures who can smell blood. They go on and on about corruption until you ask them to make specific charges against the individuals associated with FF they constantly list. Like all cowards they stick to innuendo because they know to be specific will leave them open to possible legal proceedings. One FF politician has been convicted in our courts of corruption and served time.
    Those on the corruption bandwagon are sick hypoctites who are no way interested in right and wrong but have an obsession with only destroying FF in their hunger for power denied to them for so long by superior politicians.

FF are in power so long and so often because a majority ofthe people who come out to vote have rejected the extremism of right wing FG and the cabal left wing extremists led by the Labour Party who now have 100 years of failure behind them. I am FF because when I look left or right I see nothing but convoluted disaster.
    Whether its me or any member of FF I suggest specific charges of corruption are made and those charges will be dealt with in a court of law.

The people who say FF is corrupt as a matter of fact are people who have never voted FF and generally people who are at this stage emotionally disturbed at their inability to beat FF where it counts, the ballot box.

Oh, a little worry of mine is that if the hatred of FF ever stopped it means FF are dead !
    The decent folk of Ireland can only hope that in the not too distant future FF are nothing but a bad memory, and consigned to history where their kind belong. As has been proven on many occasions they are in fact traitors to our country whose only interest is self preservation and the future prosperity of their rich friends. I do actually think that people are (finally) beginning to see them for what they are..a CANCER on our country. History i believe, will judge them harshly, and rightly so for betraying the people of Ireland. :mad:

• Advertisement

The decent folk of Ireland can only hope that in the not too distant future FF are nothing but a bad memory, and consigned to history where their kind belong. As has been proven on many occasions they are in fact traitors to our country whose only interest is self preservation and the future prosperity of their rich friends. I do actually think that people are (finally) beginning to see them for what they are..a CANCER on our country. History i believe, will judge them harshly, and rightly so for betraying the people of Ireland. :mad:

Were you drunk when you made this up? Are you questioning the electorate? Why have they continued to win elections? Is it because they are a "CANCER" as you say. Look in the mirror in the morning. The answer is closer to home, your home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Who makes the rules on what is illegal/corrupt?

Oh politicians and people that answer to politicians. Funny that so few are rarely found to have broken the law as a result

goose2005 wrote: »

Just saw this now. I had some interesting conversations (at different times) lately with Lowry supporters, ex FG members. They all have regrets over him being an ind. TD now and not still in FG. They still reckon he could have gone on to lead the party. My opinion to them is that even though he was climbing the ladder quickly, he wouldn't have the ability for leadership. We never saw him on TV debating policy for example, he just climbed the ranks in the backround, gaining support along the way. They said that after the Noonan election with so few FG TDs in the Dail, he would have no problem in getting leader instead of Enda. Indeed the point was made to me that Enda was found wanting on policy matters judging by his recent radio interview where he was being told what to say. Another reason Im told why Mr Lowry climbed the FG ranks was he being credited with clearing the FG debt. I'm sure he didn't do it alone but Im informed it's not known how it was done either. This maybe true of other parties also, but if true could still leave some unanswered questions. Has Sam Smyth done FG a big favour by exposing this and is the FG party clear of corrupt charges. How many do you need to make a party corrupt? Is it ok to expel the person and then believe everything is ok. Who sets the rules? Who leads the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭freewheeler

Were you drunk when you made this up? Are you questioning the electorate? Why have they continued to win elections? Is it because they are a "CANCER" as you say. Look in the mirror in the morning. The answer is closer to home, your home.
    ooh hit a nerve did i? the truth can be hard to take at times for sure but there you go..
    Firstly no, i dont in fact have a drink problem although i do admit our dumb & dumber coalition could conceivably drive you to the drink. You would do better focusing on the facts rather than casting aspersions also.
    Secondly, Yes i am questioning the electorate..it is they (and you) who should be 'looking in the mirror' having inflicted the most corrupt, inept 'government' in the history of the state on the rest of us. I think that you should ask yourselves if this is the way you would want our country to be governed?? If so then i can only assume that you are amongst the wealthy few so beloved of FF. They, and you, should be proud of yourselves..you have brought a once proud country to its knees...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Hi Ivor !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

In 2007 75% of the electorate did not vote FF. Thats a lot of people who want your blood, especially after the economic downturn. They are coming out of the woodwork all over the country to get a piece of the anti FF action. People who have never even voted in their lives are enjoying the moment of glory of at long last crucifying FF. On message boards like this threads are started time after time by perpetual political failures who can smell blood. They go on and on about corruption until you ask them to make specific charges against the individuals associated with FF they constantly list. Like all cowards they stick to innuendo because they know to be specific will leave them open to possible legal proceedings. One FF politician has been convicted in our courts of corruption and served time.
    Those on the corruption bandwagon are sick hypoctites who are no way interested in right and wrong but have an obsession with only destroying FF in their hunger for power denied to them for so long by superior politicians.

FF are in power so long and so often because a majority ofthe people who come out to vote have rejected the extremism of right wing FG and the cabal left wing extremists led by the Labour Party who now have 100 years of failure behind them. I am FF because when I look left or right I see nothing but convoluted disaster.
    Whether its me or any member of FF I suggest specific charges of corruption are made and those charges will be dealt with in a court of law.

Oh, a little worry of mine is that if the hatred of FF ever stopped it means FF are dead !

"Superior Politicians". That may be the case, but I use the word politician in the Bertie sense. The man who kisses babies, the man who is present at the opening at an envelope, the man who spends his life attending funeral after funeral. Politically, they are not superior, and this is articulated by their inability to manage a country's economy, and bankrupt it three times over. Thus, when I hear the "lessons learned" mantra, I switch off. They had the hindsight of the 1977 Budget, and the Japenese experience in the context of the property market. They ignored this, and ploughed ahead, and bankrupted us again in a grab for power. I admit, I bought into this in 2007, and voted FF.

You keep using the word extreme. You wouldnt know what extremism is if it hit you square in the face. I suggest you go and live in Local Electoral Wards in East London where the BNP had council control from 2007-2010, or places in France where Le Pen's La Front National control south-eastern councils. Why not try Cuba, where anti Government poetry could land you in prison ? Maybe you should try Zimbabwe, and try owning a farm out there. Calling Labour and Fine Gael extremist identifies you as a political moron. Neither of them have a consistent ideology worth a damn, and they have done that to compete with the idiotic populism as espoused by blinkered FFers.

Like Callely, you seek to hide behind legal catagorisation, and the rules to validate corruption.

Het-Field wrote: »
    "Superior Politicians". That may be the case, but I use the word politician in the Bertie sense. The man who kisses babies, the man who is present at the opening at an envelope, the man who spends his life attending funeral after funeral. Politically, they are not superior, and this is articulated by their inability to manage a country's economy, and bankrupt it three times over. Thus, when I hear the "lessons learned" mantra, I switch off. They had the hindsight of the 1977 Budget, and the Japenese experience in the context of the property market. They ignored this, and ploughed ahead, and bankrupted us again in a grab for power. I admit, I bought into this in 2007, and voted FF.

You keep using the word extreme. You wouldnt know what extremism is if it hit you square in the face. I suggest you go and live in Local Electoral Wards in East London where the BNP had council control from 2007-2010, or places in France where Le Pen's La Front National control south-eastern councils. Why not try Cuba, where anti Government poetry could land you in prison ? Maybe you should try Zimbabwe, and try owning a farm out there. Calling Labour and Fine Gael extremist identifies you as a political moron. Neither of them have a consistent ideology worth a damn, and they have done that to compete with the idiotic populism as espoused by blinkered FFers.

Like Callely, you seek to hide behind legal catagorisation, and the rules to validate corruption.
    remember i few sundays ago, the sunday world carried a story, it was bertie saying something like, that they were advised to give to the people the big guns, and give what these big guns asked for, does anyone remember that, i do forget who he said advised him and his party to do this,,, does anyone remember this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Say what you like, but I will always come back to the point that it is ultimately the people in eaach constituency who back someone like Bev at a selection convention, the party members in the rest of the country can do nothing about it, the locals have spoken, and she got elected, so the electorate got what they asked for. Mirror this in 43 constituencies and the country gets what is asks for.

Corruption is not endemic in Fianna Fáil, neither is it condoned, but what exactly do people expect can be done? there's an organisational structure that would put the physical map of Ireland to shame, I doubt there's even a chart. It's just way too complicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Dub in the Sticks

ninty9er wrote: »
    Say what you like, but I will always come back to the point that it is ultimately the people in eaach constituency who back someone like Bev at a selection convention, the party members in the rest of the country can do nothing about it, the locals have spoken, and she got elected, so the electorate got what they asked for. Mirror this in 43 constituencies and the country gets what is asks for.

Corruption is not endemic in Fianna Fáil, neither is it condoned, but what exactly do people expect can be done? there's an organisational structure that would put the physical map of Ireland to shame, I doubt there's even a chart. It's just way too complicated.

Please stop talking ****e.

It's not the people in a constituency that nominate a candidate. It's the PARTY MEMBERS. The party is where the corruption starts and ends.

Don't blame the electorate. They have been consistently given poor choice.

That's the root of the corruption. The opposition is non-existant.

DitS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Dub in the Sticks

ninty9er wrote: »
    ... I doubt there's even a chart. It's just way too complicated....

Too complicated for who?

Us poor eejits who are expected to back the gombeen men?

DitS.

Please stop talking ****e.

It's not the people in a constituency that nominate a candidate. It's the PARTY MEMBERS. The party is where the corruption starts and ends.

Don't blame the electorate. They have been consistently given poor choice.

That's the root of the corruption. The opposition is non-existant.

DitS.
    i fully agree with you
    if there were 3 people who wanted to go forward for nomination and there is a daughter or son of a fianna fail minister or senator also going it does not matter, daughter or son will always win, they keep it to themselves, so there is little hope for new blood entering this party, what a pity, people are being put off by this, as they know they dont have hope of ever getting nominated, it is very undemocratic, there should not be a nomination line up, it should be put to the cumann who they wish to elect to go forward, or better still the electorate of the area

goat2 wrote: »
    i fully agree with you
    if there were 3 people who wanted to go forward for nomination and there is a daughter or son of a fianna fail minister or senator also going it does not matter, daughter or son will always win, they keep it to themselves, so there is little hope for new blood entering this party, what a pity, people are being put off by this, as they know they dont have hope of ever getting nominated, it is very undemocratic, there should not be a nomination line up, it should be put to the cumann who they wish to elect to go forward, or better still the electorate of the area

Can you explain how this could be done.

Can you explain how this could be done.
    really cannot
    but did the cumann elect a candidate in the past, then they changed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

jmayo wrote: »
    In most proper democracies (not including Italy) allegations of corruption mean an end to a political career.
    I'd rather not see mere allegations of anything causing an end to anyone's career. That's a step below trial by mob - it's virtually a conviction before even the mob gets to look at it. And trial by mob is nothing to write home about either.

sceptre wrote: »
    I'd rather not see mere allegations of anything causing an end to anyone's career. That's a step below trial by mob - it's virtually a conviction before even the mob gets to look at it. And trial by mob is nothing to write home about either.

I don't think people want that.

I think they do want to see an end to "voting confidence" and pathetic "apologies" that are nothing of the sort; the ones that - if you actually analyse the words used - say "I wouldn't have done it.....if I'd known I'd get caught".

Plus, of course, the fact that I have never heard of any of the said expenses being repaid.

Even Callely's latest revelations - that he claimed expenses while staying in his own house........in the same breath he says that "he'll pay the €81,000 back......if the committee decides he did wrong"

It's wrong. Period.

Just because a bunch of peers that - if they were examined - could have a good bit of explaining to do themselves, either in relation to their own "expenses" or to the backbenchers who would pull their support if someone actually cracked down on "expenses" properly, decide that it's not "wrong", doesn't mean that it's not wrong.

And anyone who "votes confidence" in those who milk/rip off the system (that they created) is guilty by association, condoning this sickening attitude.

• Advertisement

that was the wording i could not understand
    if it is thought he did wrong

i thought that is why there is noise about it, it was wrong, why wait to pay

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The latest sad joke about what Fianna Fail are doing is the clocking-in at the Dail issue.

As reported yesterday in the Sunday Times (Irish Edition) and the Independent today (here):
    ...Meanwhile, the much vaunted new expenses system in Leinster House has been watered down to allow TDs to be signed in as present in the Oireachtas without clocking in electronically. TDs and senators will be recorded as present when they are on foreign business, for which they will also be paid expenses. Party whips will also be allowed to certify that an Oireachtas member was present, even if he or she did not sign in or was not present for votes.

In other words, they will do whatever it takes, they will bring about a bending of the rules (including loopholes) and changes of laws just for themselves so that they can gain financially and/or be able to cover their asses for previous antics or set the stage up for the possibility of future ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Surely its an improvement on the current stagnant system? As has been said at length here, FF actively shelter corruption.

If the politician can take action against the allegators if they are incorrect, this is an improvement?

Ah for fecks sake stop trying to twist it that some one is hung out to dry because of rumours with little or no substance.

There were allegations about bertie, and when they were investigated we were treated to a serious of shocking revelations about the way bertie conducted both his private and public affairs.
    Yes public affairs, because it involved how he treated payment of his salary from the state and how he accepted monies whilst minister of finance.

Yet he remained a TD, party leader, he remained the country's leader and even worse the gombeen voters in this country voted him and his party back into power. :mad:

Nothing has been proven about bertie being corrupt, but there are enough instances of seriously unethical/dodgy behaviour that in most countries would have resulted in his resignation if not his firing.
    That is what I mean by allegations of corruption.

As we all know corruption is very hard to prove since neither party will want it public.

If you are waiting for someone to be conclusively found guilty in a court of law, then we might as well have elected haughey as president.

Advertisement