Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Politics

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

At least in the UK and the US there are ideological differnces between the two major parties, in Ireland we have perhaps the two most unideological parties in the Western world (arguably).

Don't you mean the THREE most unideological parties in the Western world (arguably) ? In fact, at local level they are all unideological and believe rezoning is good and more houses = Common Good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

harpsman wrote: »
    Reckon Pearse Doherty will win the seat and hold it in general election.

Who'd lose out do you think?
    Heard a rumour months ago Fianna Fail may row out a celebrity candidate for the Donegal SW by-election. Packie Bonner was the rumour. Its only a rumour now, but it would throw the cat amongst the pigeons.

Packie's no genius but even he should have enough sense to steer clear at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Wide Road

Olwyn has no faith in her leader. Will this help or hinder her husband for re-election or make no difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Wide Road

I wonder how Joe feels about all this goings on in Donegal. Surely it can't be any worse than what's going on within his own party. Next week will be interesting to say the least for both him and his queen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭duffflash

Donegal tops the wrong lists

donegal.tif&h=250&w=250&zc=1
    Posted online: May 28th, 2010
    Donegal is the most deprived county in the Republic of Ireland and ranks worst in a series of economic indicators, according to a recently published report.
    From poverty to educational attainment, infrastructure to housing, and unemployment to health, the alarming statistics paint a worryingly depressing picture.
    Among the findings are that Donegal had the:
    · Highest unemployment rate of any county
    · Highest relative deprivation rate (poverty) of all local authorities
    · Highest percentage of population with medical cards
    · Highest percentage in any county of people who left school aged under 15
    These are just some of the stark facts that emerge in the Donegal Co. Development Board’s publication “Planning for Inclusion in Co. Donegal – a statistical toolkit”.
    Most of the findings are based on data collected and collated between 2006 – 2009, and while some of it may not be out of date, there may have been a deterioration in some categories due to the onset of the recession.
    In his forward to the publication, the Chairperson of the Donegal Co. Development Board, Cllr. Dessie Larkin, noted that one of its key priorities is access to services for the public.
    “There is an enormous challenge ahead for all of us in 2010, in ensuring that services are delivered in a manner that will address the needs of everyone in our community, especially the key vulnerable groups,” he wrote.
    According to the “Deprivation Index for Ireland”, produced by TrutzHaase, Co. Donegal has been identified over the last four consecutive Census periods as being the most deprived local authority area in the whole country. Limerick City ranks second.
    Those at most risk of poverty include lone parents, those in below market rate rented properties, local authority housing, and the unemployed.
    Worryingly, despite the boom years, Donegal has maintained its ranking of being the most deprived local authority area since 1991.
    The publication was compiled with a view to providing various agencies and organizations with an in-depth statistical analysis of the current situation. It is hoped that the “toolkit” can assist all agencies with a social inclusion remit to plan their services to reach the people that are the most vulnerable in the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

Who'd lose out do you think?

I reckon in gen. elect. Coughlan,Doherty and FG(McGinley I presume) will be elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

reckon she will be reappointed-shes a woman and shes from the midlands.I think inda will be less likely to forgive flanagan for jumping ship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

harpsman wrote: »

I reckon in gen. elect. Coughlan,Doherty and FG(McGinley I presume) will be elected.

Given the statistics in the post above yours, I, for one, sincerely hope none of them are elected - they will not get my vote, anyway.

Noreen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Agree with earlier comments - Donegal, along with Kerry, is about as archaic as it gets for political retardedness and nepotism - which is saying something in this country.

Though I initially didn't think so - maybe a false blessing that the by-election up there has yet to take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

anyone actually miss their missing tds

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

Agree with earlier comments - Donegal, along with Kerry, is about as archaic as it gets for political retardedness and nepotism - which is saying something in this country.

Though I initially didn't think so - maybe a false blessing that the by-election up there has yet to take place.

Mayo wouldn't be far behind now for nepotism and idiotic voters, lets see Mayo, Bev Flynn, Dara Calleary, Michael Ring and Enda Kenny.

People probably voted for O'Mahony because of his GAA background althugh after losing to Longford on Saturday I wonder what the people of Mayo now think of hime:D

I take your point about Donegal, there are some right tulips who are continuously reelected after each election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

anyone actually miss their missing tds

I regret the lack of a TD - I don't miss the one we had - since I consider that his contribution was sadly lacking, in real terms.

Noreen

Advertisement