Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivor Callely Expenses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,591 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Resign will not come up on any Politics dictionary here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The hell with resigning, defrauding the state whilst holding public office should be a capital offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

is it not in the constitution that fraud is a crime and so he should be set to face criminal proceedings?
    its about time that we dont just take a a cut of his illgotten gains and that he is made an example of and see some jail time. Bertie Ahern if guilty should have went to prision and so should ivor callely. If things get as bad as greece then people will demand that corrupt politicans here face jail or their will be a mob of people that will want them dead for their betrayal and ill be one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bock the Robber

How can an unelected Senator have a constituency office?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

If I submitted expenses in my job that were so obviously incorrect (fraudulent ?) I would be sacked.

Should he resign, if he had any pride or dignity he would, will he (will he f*ck)

Should Cowen sack him, of course he should, will he, see above.

This is Fianna Fail, they exist only to serve thier own and their buddies best interests.

Callely should not only be removed, he should also be investigated by Revenue, he should aslo be forced at least to refund the money he was paid in excess.

I knoe FF are not alone in this but they are certainly the worst.

• Advertisement

Extract from Ivor's website:

Married to Jennifer, they have three children. He was educated and continues to live in Dublin North Central.

http://www.ivorcallely.ie/profile.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Married to Jennifer, they have three children. He was educated and continues to live in Dublin North Central.
    yeah one of the lads on the Liveline thread pointed this out earlier.. Even his own website disagrees with his own cock and bull story.. Ivor, you've been caught out (not for the first time). Get your coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

nmoran wrote: »
    Ivor's Clinic times:

Weekly Clinic Times:
    Monday, Wednesday, Friday - 08:30am to 10:30am - by appointment only
    Location: Constituency Office - 191 Howth Road, Killester Village (next door to Bank of Ireland - above Wan's Chinese)

Constituency Office Opening Hours
    Monday - Wednesday - Friday 10:00am to 12:00pm Tel: (01) 833 4331
    Location: 191 Howth Road, Killester Village (next door to Bank of Ireland - above Wan's Chinese)

..it would be interesting to check his travel expenses against his Clinic and Constituency dates!
    Why on earth would he need constituency clinics, given that he's a Taoiseach's appointee to the Senate and thus should be able to devote all of his time to discussing legislation in the Senate? Unless - he wouldn't perhaps see his seat as merely a stepping stone to a Dáil seat? :rolleyes:

More to the point, how would he hold constituency clinics in Dublin on Monday, Wednesday and Friday if he lives in West Cork?

(Never mind the fact that he doesn't actually have a constituency).

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

goose2005 wrote: »
    perhaps see his seat as merely a stepping stone to a Dáil seat? :rolleyes:

As dim and all as he clearly is I dont think even he could possibly believe he has a chance of getting back on the FFers ticket for the next election . The people clearly and roundly rejected him last time out and then Bertie goes and drops him into the senate. He is obviously just too stupid and greedy to keep his nose clean and collect his pension and salary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

ROS123 wrote: »
    If I submitted expenses in my job that were so obviously incorrect (fraudulent ?) I would be sacked.

Should he resign, if he had any pride or dignity he would, will he (will he f*ck)

Should Cowen sack him, of course he should, will he, see above.

This is Fianna Fail, they exist only to serve thier own and their buddies best interests.

Callely should not only be removed, he should also be investigated by Revenue, he should aslo be forced at least to refund the money he was paid in excess.

I knoe FF are not alone in this but they are certainly the worst.

Would an ordinary citizen found to be illegally claiming social welfare be let off so lightly? Whatever the punishment is for claiming social welfare illegally, the same should apply to a politician fraudulently claiming expenses. The crime is essentially the same - fraud.

By the way, the punishment for serious fraud is written about here
    Indictment
    The question of proceeding on indictment is one which is kept under constant review. Cases of very serious fraud, are referred to the Director of Public Prosecutions with a view to taking indictment proceedings. These cases are heard before a judge and jury in the Circuit Court and carry maximum penalties of a fine of €13,000 and/or 3 years in prison. The penalty to be imposed in any case is a matter exclusively for the court to determine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

scr123 wrote: »
    I am FF and I have to publicly admit I am furious at this latest expense nonsense. Its time the relevant Dail Committee got its act together and drew up a plan of action that prevents any scandal being attached to our TD's and Senators. This crapology is going on too long and those who think its confined to FF should shut up and take a long hard look in the mirror !

That money was just resting in my account.

scr123 wrote: »
    I am FF and I have to publicly admit I am furious at this latest expense nonsense. Its time the relevant Dail Committee got its act together and drew up a plan of action that prevents any scandal being attached to our TD's and Senators. !

It's time TDs and senators stopped claiming for things they're not entitled to. If they did that, there would be no scandal.

goose2005 wrote: »
    Why on earth would he need constituency clinics, given that he's a Taoiseach's appointee to the Senate and thus should be able to devote all of his time to discussing legislation in the Senate? Unless - he wouldn't perhaps see his seat as merely a stepping stone to a Dáil seat? :rolleyes:

His chances over ever getting back into the Dáil were slim to none even before this scandle. He's been trying to get his son elected as a counciller in Clontarf but the Callely name didn't help at the last attempt - that and the fact that his son looks to be about 12 years old and doesn't have much to offer except his surname.

Does Ivor have any qualifications?

Does Ivor have any qualifications?

Is having a neck like a jockey's bollix a qualification?

dvpower wrote: »
    Is having a neck like a jockey's bollix a qualification?

For membership of FF, yes. For the honest world, maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

€81,000 per year over the last three years amounts to €27,000 per year. That's EXPENSES - on top of his salary. How much is his salary and how long is his working week? How much time off per year does he get? I ask because my daughter as a nurse in a Dublin hospital is paid €35,500 a year. That's before income tax, PRSI, Income Levy, Health Levy and Pension Levy. She has a mortgage to pay and food to put on her table. She works 40 hours a week and more for this salary with holidays commensurate with hours worked each year. And yet someone in the Seanad can get nearly as much as she earns per annum in expenses and can claim more holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Another nail in our coffin ,you've got to ask yourself who would want to invest in this country now ?

Mighty depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

If he has a holiday home in cork then surely it is his business to make sure he is back in Clontarf on time to attend to whatever duties he has .
    It's like saying "I'm relocating to France for a better lifestyle, and I'll charge my flights to the taxpayer every time I've to come back for Government business".
    He's entitled to have as many houses as he likes, but expenses should only be charged for journeys from his home address, which I understand to be Clontarf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Who the feck thought it would be a good idea that politicians and senior civil servants get to set their own pay and conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭The Mulk

A few years ago I was working in an old large house on the Clontarf Road. Next door to the post office.It has a long tarmac garden. The house was in need of serious work, we were there to make sure the lights and sockets were working and there was a plumber there to ensure heating and hot water. You wouldn't have put a dog in the house. A member of the seanad arrived(guess who) to oversee the work as he was the owner. Approx. 20 beds were delivered from Bargaintown and put into the rooms, as they were being let out to foreign nationals. There was also a lad living in the shed! After seeing this nothing a politician does would surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bog master

According to reports, he claimed for 289 overnight stays in Dublin from Aug 07 to April 09. How often does the Seanad sit? I seem to recollect it only sits for 90 odd days in a given year?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

dan_d wrote: »
    It's like saying "I'm relocating to France for a better lifestyle, and I'll charge my flights to the taxpayer every time I've to come back for Government business".

Don`t be giving them ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

The Mulk wrote: »
    A few years ago I was working in an old large house on the Clontarf Road. Next door to the post office.It has a long tarmac garden. The house was in need of serious work, we were there to make sure the lights and sockets were working and there was a plumber there to ensure heating and hot water. You wouldn't have put a dog in the house. A member of the seanad arrived(guess who) to oversee the work as he was the owner. Approx. 20 beds were delivered from Bargaintown and put into the rooms, as they were being let out to foreign nationals. There was also a lad living in the shed! After seeing this nothing a politician does would surprise me.

his wife owns in excess of 10 rental properties around Clontarf, Killester, Raheny - they made the news a few years back for evicting a single mother illegally a few weeks before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

dvpower wrote: »
    His chances over ever getting back into the Dáil were slim to none even before this scandle. He's been trying to get his son elected as a counciller in Clontarf but the Callely name didn't help at the last attempt - that and the fact that his son looks to be about 12 years old and doesn't have much to offer except his surname.

his sons posters and election campaign must have been one of the best funded electoral campaigns in the country, giant cut out posters of the kid with gelled hair dressed like he was heading into town on a saturday night, even more comical was that on the posters the 'facebook' logo was more prominent that the FF logo.
    Callelly Sr's last election campaign had amongst other things flyers with pictures of penguins on glaciers and a caption about saving the environment, while he was driving around in his 4 litre Land Rover Sport.

To be honest i just wonder what Ivor has on Bertie that Bertie felt obliged to appoint him to the seanad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Irish Tims yesterday: 'In March he handed back a cheque for €3,987, stating he wished his expenses and allowances to reflect his actual expenses'.

WFT:eek: Surely he made a claim for the expenses, and then received the cheque, not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

bamboozle wrote: »
    To be honest i just wonder what Ivor has on Bertie that Bertie felt obliged to appoint him to the seanad.

Alas that is something we will never get to the bottom of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Just another example of using the rules to your own benefit and more proof if it were ever needed that this senate thing now seriously need abandonment, it was seen as a retirement or holding home for ex politicians and a grooming school for An Taoiseach.

And I was taught that back in the 1969 in political science class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Somebody has been having fun on his wiki page

Just looking at the history of the Wikipedia edits for his entry for the past few days. There was one edit on 12:16, 2 June 2010 from an IP address registered to the government network (137.191.242.130). Looks like Ivor was fixing a typo :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ivor_Callely&diff=365626849&oldid=365526114

Advertisement