Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 Leinster Senior Hurling Final: Galway v. Kilkenny ; Croke Park; 5th July @16:00

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

randd1 wrote: »
    You do realise you are comparing professional soccer to amateur hurling?

As for the premier league, didn't Chelski walk away with that in much the same way United did for 20 years?

And all more games would just mean more wins for Kilkenny.

this is it. to really measure how good they are, they would have to play much more games. when you have to play three games to win the top prize in hurling, i dont think that is enough games to truly test a team. i think it should be at least 12 games.

psychology is a powerful tool. it is easy for kilkenny to motivate themselves for two games as a pose to 12. thus we would see a better reflection of them over 12 games than over two.

they completely destroyed galway today and missed a tonne of wides. they were much better. all im saying is i would prefer to see that over 12 games and not three.

How often does your county win the AI? I'll think you find it's very hard to do.

im from kilkenny

they should change the system into a champions league format. two groups of five and all play the same number of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Roquentin wrote: »
    im from kilkenny

A twist ending :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

this is it. to really measure how good they are, they would have to play much more games. when you have to play three games to win the top prize in hurling, i dont think that is enough games to truly test a team. i think it should be at least 12 games.

psychology is a powerful tool. it is easy for kilkenny to motivate themselves for two games as a pose to 12. thus we would see a better reflection of them over 12 games than over two.

they completely destroyed galway today and missed a tonne of wides. they were much better. all im saying is i would prefer to see that over 12 games and not three.

We have ten, ten, the fella at the back in the Cody is rubbish tshirt, will anyone give me eleven, eleven, anyone... twelve, the fella at the back in the Cody is rubbish tshirt, twelve, will anyone give me thirteen, thirteen??? Going once, going twice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

to win the premier league you have to play 38. this is a good indication of how good a team is because there are a lot of games to psyche yourself up for. and psychology is very important in how teams play. now the less the amount of games you play the easier it is to psyche yourself up.

second of all, each team plays the same number of games. so there are no idiosyncrasies.

with the hurling, kilkenny have three tough games. someone in munster will have maybe five. its out of sync. added to the fact that there isnt even enough games to see how good a team really is.

the system is stupid. kilkenny produce the best hurlers in the country no question. but they are not properly tested as a team because they play few games. if you really want to test how good a team is brian clough used say, you test them over the course of 38 games. anybody can play good one or two matches because they psyche themselves up for it. can they psyche themselves up for 20 odd matches.

now 38 games would seem a bit high. i think something like the champions league (13 games for the winner) would be better. that would really test their mettle.

i enjoy the hurling more to watch than the football, but the team that wins the football has a greater achievement. they have to play more tough games

Solely league based competitions are not often a good indication of who the best team is.All you have to do to win a European soccer league is beat all the mediocre teams and you don't need to raise your level above that.

League followed by playoffs like they have in all the American sports have is the best judge.As you have to have consistency and rise to the occassion.

Kilkenny play 4 games per season to win the championship the Munster champions play the same amount.

the system is a joke folks. you have teams knocked out coming back in and then teams playing a different number of games. its a farce. there needs to be more symmetry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

there is already a league structure in the gaa in which over the years you had to play anything up to 10 games to win it , and kilkenny have more of them won as well

the problem is not enugh teams put it up to kilkenny enough , cork behind the secens are not doing enough at the moment to get themselves back up changeling , tipperary and clare are doing there best to stay with them but after that over the last few years no one has really came close to wining an allireland

and before people go on about the structure or the championship being the problem , it was'nt back in the 90's when a different county was nearly wining each year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭randd1

im from kilkenny

And you don't rate Cody? You must be an O'Loughlins man.

As for the winning more games argument, how many league titles have Kilkenny won under Cody? 7 or 8? Way more than anyone else that's for sure.

Solely league based competitions are not often a good indication of who the best team is.All you have to do to win a European soccer league is beat all the mediocre teams and you don't need to raise your level above that.

League followed by playoffs like they have in all the American sports have is the best judge.As you have to have consistency and rise to the occassion.

Kilkenny play 4 games per season to win the championship the Munster champions play the same amount.

kilkenny are playing teams who cant hurl. they steam roll them. kilkenny when they dominated only had to play two tough games to win the biggest prize in hurling (the SF and final)

• Advertisement

they need to play at least 12 games

the system is a joke folks. you have teams knocked out coming back in and then teams playing a different number of games. its a farce. there needs to be more symmetry

You start with a very ill-informed statement about Cody. You then say you want ten matches, then you want twelve, now you say you don't want the backdoor which would make for less matches. Sorry, but the farcical thing here is your argument, can we go back to talking about the match today please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭KM88

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    It's up to teams like Galway and Dublin to get up to Kilkenny's level

It's not a 3-way championship you know. :eek:

Tipp, Cork, Waterford, Wexford, Laois, Offaly, Limerick, Clare, etc might feel a bit insulted by that comment.

They are all traditional hurling counties where hurling is a proud tradition and are still credible contenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

kilkenny are playing teams who cant hurl. they steam roll them. kilkenny when they dominated only had to play two tough games to win the biggest prize in hurling (the SF and final)

Kilkenny would steam roll all the teams in Munster apart from Tipp currently so it doesn't make any difference what province they are in.

Kilkenny would steam roll all the teams in Munster apart from Tipp currently so it doesn't make any difference what province they are in.

they wouldnt limerick put it up to them last season

they need to play at least 12 games

Between league and championship they usually do. And still usually beat everyone.

In the championship alone, I think Galway have as good a record as the Munster counties combined in the Cody era, so it's not as if the "if they were in Munster they wouldn't have won as much" argument works either.

Kilkenny win because 9 times out if 10, or 11 times out of 12 for yourself, they're better than the opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭skaface

The Kilkenny forward took 8 steps before he offloaded the ball to TJ Reid.. Is that what you mean by steam rolling??
    Should have been a free out

they wouldnt limerick put it up to them last season

And still got beaten.

skaface wrote: »
    The Kilkenny forward took 8 steps before he offloaded the ball to TJ Reid.. Is that what you mean by steam rolling??
    Should have been a free out

Swings and roundabouts, Padraig Mannion should have been sent off instead of only being yellowed.

• Advertisement

the league is a different mentality. most teams arent even in full gear. they should do away with the league and just have a championship wherein they play 12 games. we will see how good they are then

the league is a different mentality. most teams arent even in full gear. they should do away with the league and just have a championship wherein they play 12 games. we will see how good they are then

So you're saying there's a better mentality to the championship? The competition that Kilkenny actually win more? Wouldn't that actually make Kilkenny harder to beat?

kilkenny will keep on winning. A) because they have the best hurlers and B) because the whole system benefits them.

the system is too simple and not enough games.

i look at kilkenny and i say to myself, it is so easy for them to win the top prize in hurling and when cody goes they will keep on winning.

So you're saying there's a better mentality to the championship? The competition that Kilkenny actually win more? Wouldn't that actually make Kilkenny harder to beat?

"One geometry cannot be more true than another; it can only be more convenient. Geometry is not true, it is advantageous." - Robert M. Pirsig

"One geometry cannot be more true than another; it can only be more convenient. Geometry is not true, it is advantageous." - Robert M. Pirsig

"Brian Cody Trophy Haul

10 AI titles
    14 Leinster Titles
    8 National League Titles
    6 Walsh Cup Titles" - Hurling Stats

If it looks easy, it's because they've made it look easy. Ask any county outside Kilkenny if it's easy to win the AI. Even at that, it isn't easy for Kilkenny, they just simply have the better tools to do the job. You think it's easy to continuously maintain that high standard? It takes years of work, training and preparation.

And Wexford, Galway, Dublin, the 5 Munster counties all pretty much have the same path as Kilkenny, so it's not like the number of games matter as Kilkenny have pretty much the same amount as anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Enjoyed that game.
    It was very competitive up until the last few minutes when Kilkenny pulled away, some fantastic scores.

Kilkenny just clinical , less possession but ruthless with making scores

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

As a neutral at the game today, I felt KK had it always under control. Galway got level at the start of the second half and I was hoping they would kick on from there but they became a bit rudderless. Far too many times Galway forwards ran into blind alleys with KK back waiting for them to pick them off. At one stage in the second half, the play was under the Hogan and no Galway forward had the sense to peel off and ghost over to the Cusack and look for a pass. I know its one small bit and nothing may have come of it but if banging off a wall isn't working, try something else. Whether that comes from players or management is another story.

KK were semi-showboating at stages in the second half and there's more in them. Are they beatable, yes but you need to drag them around the whole field. Hitting high balls into them isn't going to work. The Wexford model from 2006 (??) of using every inch of the pitch is the only way.

Canning's goal was a thing of beauty though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Crowd seems to have been on the smaller side - was the result too predictable? Kilkenny only a couple of games from yet another AI title..

"Brian Cody Trophy Haul

10 AI titles
    14 Leinster Titles
    8 National League Titles
    6 Walsh Cup Titles" - Hurling Stats

If it looks easy, it's because they've made it look easy. Ask any county outside Kilkenny if it's easy to win the AI. Even at that, it isn't easy for Kilkenny, they just simply have the better tools to do the job. You think it's easy to continuously maintain that high standard? It takes years of work, training and preparation.

And Wexford, Galway, Dublin, the 5 Munster counties all pretty much have the same path as Kilkenny, so it's not like the number of games matter as Kilkenny have pretty much the same amount as anyone else.

wow wow wow. im just blown away by your argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

And get rid of the bye for KK into the semi final of Leinster or put it into the Munster hurling aswell and what bright sparks in the Gaa decided to put Kerry hurlers into Leinster? put them back in Munster where they used to be before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭threeball

If Galway were a bit more composed today the result could have been very different. Unforced first touch errors by Galway players cost them primary possession on more occasions than I could count and normally resulted in a score or attempted score at least. The clearances from the half back line were paniced and hit and hopes rather than placing a pass. Two very easily rectified things cost Galway today. I wouldnt write them off if they were to get another bite of the cherry further down the line. To me only Galway and Tipp have the tools to topple Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

STIG83 wrote: »
    And get rid of the bye for KK into the semi final of Leinster or put it into the Munster hurling aswell and what bright sparks in the Gaa decided to put Kerry hurlers into Leinster? put them back in Munster where they used to be before.

Its not a bye for KK into the Leinster semi final. Its a bye for the Leinster champs into the semi final. Last year KK were in the Leinster QF, where Dublin had the bye into the SF as defending champions.

Kerry are not 'put into leinster' next year. They are in the round robin preliminary competition, if they finish in the top 2 of that competition they will advance to a Munster QF.

wow wow wow. im just blown away by your argument

Why thank you sir, glad you see it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭basillarkin

im from kilkenny

Did Cody drop you from the panel

KevIRL wrote: »
    Its not a bye for KK into the Leinster semi final. Its a bye for the Leinster champs into the semi final. Last year KK were in the Leinster QF, where Dublin had the bye into the SF as defending champions.

Kerry are not 'put into leinster' next year. They are in the round robin preliminary competition, if they finish in the top 2 of that competition they will advance to a Munster QF.

Really, I thought the round robin was a Leinster governed tournament? Doesn't it make fixture making a bit awkward? Though I suppose they just make a team await Kerry and if Kerry don't get through that team gets a pass into the next round.

Did Cody drop you from the panel

Bizarrely there are some in Kilkenny who are sour over Cody's achievements. I can't be sure but I suspect its because he's from the Village and there's a certain degree of dislike of us Villagers around Kilkenny. Though I suspect those same people have enjoyed our county's success during the Cody era.

ah now come on ............i highly doubt he was talking about the leinster senior hurling championship when he came up with this theory

Very Bored wrote: »
    Bizarrely there are some in Kilkenny who are sour over Cody's achievements. I can't be sure but I suspect its because he's from the Village and there's a certain degree of dislike of us Villagers around Kilkenny. Though I suspect those same people have enjoyed our county's success during the Cody era.

himself and davey fitz are very similar in one way , although davey's behavour turns people aginst him , but that will always be the case , you wont please everyone , then again its not a popularity contest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Anybody spot the Rte man of the match?? Cant find it anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Michael2107

Gregk961 wrote: »

Announced on The Sunday Game tonight I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Announced on The Sunday Game tonight I think

TJ Reid ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭blackcard

For KK, I would say TJ Reid, Cillian Buckley and Paul Murphy might be in the running

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Thank you Joe Canning. That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Nominees were Cillian Buckley, Cyril Donnellan, and TJ Reid.
    TJ won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Nominees were Cillian Buckley, Cyril Donnellan, and TJ Reid.
    TJ won it.

Reid probably deserved it but I thought Hogan should definitely be in the top 3. He would have been my 2nd choice as MOTM.

TJ Reid ?

TJ yeah.
    himself and davey fitz are very similar in one way , although davey's behavour turns people aginst him , but that will always be the case , you wont please everyone , then again its not a popularity contest

Somehow I doubt Cody cares very much about who does or doesn't like him. For him its all about trophies and All Irelands in particular. I get the feeling with Davy that he craves to be liked.

winning leinster means nothing to kilkenny.

Tell that to these lads...

1022608.jpg

Very Bored wrote: »
    TJ yeah.

Somehow I doubt Cody cares very much about who does or doesn't like him. For him its all about trophies and All Irelands in particular. I get the feeling with Davy that he craves to be liked.

yep 100% agree he loves the limelight he has even got a PR guru on board to show us how much craic it is to play for clare ;)
    however i agree with the logic because some of the stuff that was bashed around the place about him and the players at times was shameful, yeah he is not popular but he is not a criminal either

Unintentional, but still nasty.

1022518.jpg

Tell that to these lads...

1022608.jpg

well ritchie hogan i believe was over talking to RTE reporters at the time off the photo so that leaves me to believe that there is trouble in the kilkenny camp and this was there john lennon yoko ono Beatles moment .......its all down hill from here lads :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I dunno if they're over joyed about winning Leinster the way other teams might be but they certainly hate losing. I mean if they didn't care about winning the match they couldn't have produced that performance.

Advertisement