Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I think the player with the greatest capacity to get goals is,Dunford, but while I saw him up there chasing balls played into Dillon as the second full forward, I also have seen him back in his own halfback line the last two games at times. The faster players seem to be swapping out to play a deeper role and track back. Like anything, pros and cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Semi-finals are going to be in Nowlan Park. Great idea, if you ask me. I'd rather a venue was approaching capacity rather than have everyone rattle around in Thurles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

We were lucky to finish with 15 as well Philip Mahony by the letter of the law should have gone for pulling off the galways centre backs helmet during the flare up. He played very well actually uses the ball very well and is as strong as an ox. Great to seem him back so strong after his injury.

Two more Committed players then the o mahonys you couldnt meet

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Have to agree with backs holding the ball a bit longer than necessary too often for my liking. Noticed De Burca several times waiting and trying a side step instead of releasing the ball when not under pressure. This unfortunately appears t be part of the possession game but we do need to vary it. Also agree we need to keep the likes of Dunford closer to goal where he does most damage. The game plan we are trying to master demands a massive running effort particularly from the forwards and this i fear will show toward the end of tight games. Too many times we end up isolated.

With regards to the Mahony's Philip, delighted to see him back and getting a sustained run. Solid out, no nonsense defender, just goes about this business and seldom looks troubled. As regards Paudi, i have read on here and heard at games, lads saying he only contributes from frees, - RUBBISH - the get through a massive amount of work, is always making himself available and wins more than his fair share of dirty ball. Almost always contributes a couple of scores from play and is still only learning his trade, and had a long injury lay off - there is much more to come from this lad,.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

If/when Darragh Fives returns, we could move Austin Gleeson to the forwards. Imagine a forward line with Maurice, Pauric Mahony and Brick in the half forwards, Gleeson at full forward with Colin Dunford and Stephen Bennett in the corners. There would be a read goal scoring threat there and with that full forward line we could well afford to go 15 on 15 (given a half back line of Fives, De Búrca and Philip Mahony).

And that doesn't include Jake Dillon, Shane Bennett, Tom Devine or Brian O'Halloran. And in time we will have Patrick Curran and perhaps DJ Foran in the mix. Hopefully Stephen Daniels will also be returning soon. Could be a bright future for the Déise!

Does anyone know how close Stephen Daniels is to returning? A serious hurler

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Cistercian College Roscrea 1-13 St. Declan’s Community College Kilmacthomas 0-11

It will offer little consolation to St. Declan’s, but they are to be applauded for their contribution to a marvellously absorbing All-Ireland Schools C hurling final in Carlow last Saturday. This was an excellent game of hurling and you wondered at the end that if is the C division, what must A division hurling be like?

While based in the town of Roscrea, Cistercian College is actually located on the Offaly side of the county boundary which runs through the town, and competes in the province of Leinster. In fact, the school’s rugby team won the Leinster Senior Cup for the first time this year.

Despite the five-point difference at the end, this was a game which St. Declan’s could well have won, given the amount of possession they enjoyed for much of the game. However, their inability to turn this possession into scores, especially in the second half, was to prove their undoing.

The game was dominated by a very strong wind blowing straight down the pitch. With the wind at their backs, St. Declan’s started very strongly, but initially found it hard to make an impression on the scoreboard. However, as their pressure began to force the Roscrea rearguard into fouls, excellent freetaker Jamie Murphy exerted full retribution, nailing five frees and a 65 (plus one from play) in the first half.

Led by their captain, Martin Phelan, at midfield, Cistercian College did fight their way back into the game to put some scores on the board, but St. Declan’s finished the half strongly to go in at half-time 0-11 to 0-4 ahead. Indeed, it could have been more, given that they also shot seven wides. In addition, full forward John Kennedy was unlucky to see his screamer for the top left hand corner go inches over the bar. Against this, at the other end the St. Declan’s goalie Ryan Murray was forced to make a brilliant save to deny the Cistercian College full forward in the 28th minute.

Cistercian College started the second half strongly and got the vital breakthrough with a goal in the 35th minute. St. Declan’s were desperately unlucky when corner forward Craig Fraher’s rasper went inches wide of the post in the 40th minute. Cistercian College drew level in the 43rd minute and just a minute later St. Declan’s bad luck continued when centre forward Ciarán Kirwan’s shot again went the wrong side of the post. Cistercian College were hitting some excellent long-range points and finally went ahead in the 48th minute.

St. Declan’s continued to take the game to their opponents with strong running from midfield and the half forwards, but shooting into the strong wind was difficult while the Cistercian College full backs had the upper hand when the ball was played into their area. At the other end, they made maximum use of wind advantage to tack on further points.

St. Declan’s last chance went abegging when substitute Kevin Cheasty made a great catch in front of the goal but his shot was deflected outside the post with the umpire, amazingly, signalling the ball wide.

St. Declan’s can feel proud, not only of reaching the All-Ireland final, but of putting in an excellent team performance here led by their outstanding centre back and captain, Calum Lyons.

St. Declan’s: Ryan Murray (Ballyduff Lower); Noah O’Brien (Clonea); Craig Tyrrell (Ballyduff Lower); Billy Power (Clonea); Conor Dalton (Clonea); Calum Lyons (Ballyduff Lower); Dylan Reade (Ballyduff Lower); Cormac Dunphy (Ballyduff Lower) (0-2); Eoghan Casey (Dunhill); Ciarán Kirwan (Kill); Jamie Murphy (Portlaw) (0-7, five frees, one 65); Jake Scanlan (Portlaw); Craig Fraher (Portlaw) (0-1); John Kennedy (Ballyduff Lower) (0-1); Eoin Bray (Clonea).

There were other substitutes apart from Kevin Cheasty but I didn’t take a note of their names. The full substitutes list was Niall Power (Dunhill); Alan Fitzsimons (Kilmacthomas); Ben Kennedy (Ballyduff Lower); Colm Dempsey (Ballyduff Lower); Ross Coffey-O’Shea (Ballyduff Lower); Gearóid Murphy (Dunhill); Jeff Halley (St. Mary’s); Jonathan Long (Kilmacthomas); Kevin Cheasty (Ballyduff Lower).

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Anyone know how the footballers got on yesterday? (The London game was yesterday, wasnt it?!)

Anyone know how the footballers got on yesterday? (The London game was yesterday, wasnt it?!)

Draw, 6-5 to 2-17. London got a last gasp goal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

draw afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Cheers for the quick responses lads!

Tipp County Chairman seemingly said on Tipp Fm tonight that they would be appealing Callinan's red card despite on going reports on national radio all day.

Hope he is successful to be honest, make it a full test. Was impressed with Barry Coughlan yesterday even if Galway were poor to be fair to him.

Tipp County Chairman seemingly said on Tipp Fm tonight that they would be appealing Callinan's red card despite on going reports on national radio all day.

Hope he is successful to be honest, make it a full test. Was impressed with Barry Coughlan yesterday even if Galway were poor to be fair to him.

Ya I hope Callanan plays, his sending off was a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Ya I hope Callanan plays, his sending off was a disgrace
    Callinan punched a player last day out and got away with it so I've little sympathy for him. Shane O'Sullivan was denied on appeal last after being sent off for accidently connecting with a Dublin players helmet so I can't see how Callinans case will be any different.

carter10 wrote: »
    Callinan punched a player last day out and got away with it so I've little sympathy for him. Shane O'Sullivan was denied on appeal last after being sent off for accidently connecting with a Dublin players helmet so I can't see how Callinans case will be any different.

Not to mention Brick's red card. Have a feeling this will be over turned however.

• Advertisement

Not to mention Brick's red card. Have a feeling this will be over turned however.

While not wanting to go againest waterford I hope it is over turned as I think he's the best forward in the country at the min and worth paying in to see play

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Do we have any outstanding debt after the 500,000 spondulics we got off the Munster council? Article in the Independent says half of it is goong into redeveloping Walsh Park, will that actually happen do we reckon? Proper terracing around the place would go a long way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Ropaire wrote: »
    Do we have any outstanding debt after the 500,000 spondulics we got off the Munster council? Article in the Independent says half of it is goong into redeveloping Walsh Park, will that actually happen do we reckon? Proper terracing around the place would go a long way!

Was there not terracing put in the past year or 2?

Was there not terracing put in the past year or 2?

That terracing on the bank is a joke....was at the Laois match last year and twoz a nice evening....went onto the bank and being honest....couldn't see half the pitch....really badly elevated was better before they went at it :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ropaire wrote: »

Theyll probably try & put half of it into Frahar Field...

Speaking of Walsh Park. Ah what might have been

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/55-million-facelift-for-walsh-park-confirmed/

• Advertisement

Ya what might have been a waste of €5.5million

We don't need a 20k stadium, just like Cork don't need a new stadium either. They would be filled a handful of times over ten years.
    Invest in people first not facilities
    Do you know what the main question asked by British people when watching hurling for the first time on sky sports? Why all the empty seats/ why don't people go to games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Ya what might have been a waste of €5.5million

We don't need a 20k stadium, just like Cork don't need a new stadium either. They would be filled a handful of times over ten years.
    Invest in people first not facilities
    Do you know what the main question asked by British people when watching hurling for the first time on sky sports? Why all the empty seats/ why don't people go to games.

That's because the GAA have had (on a number of ocassions) the cameras facing towards the empty stand when the stand underneath the cameras is totally full. Seen it many a time in thurles and its crazy to be honest.

Also, More crowds would be nice but it seems that Irish people are unhappy with paying more than a fiver for a championship game.

O Riain wrote: »
    That's because the GAA have had (on a number of ocassions) the cameras facing towards the empty stand when the stand underneath the cameras is totally full. Seen it many a time in thurles and its crazy to be honest.

Also, More crowds would be nice but it seems that Irish people are unhappy with paying more than a fiver for a championship game.

So building all these stadiums is ridiculous

Proper terracing, as in steps, would be nice. Anything more than that is a vanity project.

Ya just pump money if it is there into the primary schools...
    We will all fill croke park on the back of it for a future all Ireland

O Riain wrote: »

Is there a camera gantry in the New Stand in Thurles? In fairness, if they were only opening one stand in Thurles it should be the old one and to hell with how it looks on the telly. You're dead right about the fiver thing though. The GAA always seem to charge €5 more than what would guarantee a full house!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

deiseach wrote: »
    Proper terracing, as in steps, would be nice. Anything more than that is a vanity project.

I'd agree, one good stand and stepped terracing like a smaller version of Fitzgerald Stadium in Killarney would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

A pitch that took the water better would have been great. More comfortable seats in the stand would have been great. Proper terracing would have been great. A little bit more room inside for getting in / out / toilets / shop would have been great. And proper nets behind the goals instead of the chicken wire would have been great.

It wasn't about increasing capacity for vanity, it was about making it a better stadium for the players and fans. And it's possible that we could have had the odd championship match there if it had been upgraded.

It's embarrassing that this was offered to us and we couldn't agree to accept it. It's also embarrassing that a county of our size has two cr@p stadiums. In reality there isn't a need for every county in Ireland to have a stadium (of the size they're built to), let alone a county the size of Waterford having two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

blue note wrote: »
    A pitch that took the water better would have been great. More comfortable seats in the stand would have been great. Proper terracing would have been great. A little bit more room inside for getting in / out / toilets / shop would have been great. And proper nets behind the goals instead of the chicken wire would have been great.

It wasn't about increasing capacity for vanity, it was about making it a better stadium for the players and fans. And it's possible that we could have had the odd championship match there if it had been upgraded.

It's embarrassing that this was offered to us and we couldn't agree to accept it. It's also embarrassing that a county of our size has two cr@p stadiums. In reality there isn't a need for every county in Ireland to have a stadium (of the size they're built to), let alone a county the size of Waterford having two.

Spot on. Whatever they spent the money on recently they have made it worse. Whatever cowboy job they did on the Ard na Greine terrace, the whole lot fell in on top of the peoples gardens (would have killed anyone standing on the other side) - and tt still looks a mess there!

At a very minimum there should be concrete terracing instead of the crap gravel with weeds growing out of it there and a wall with nails sticking out of it. The two planks of wood which are supposed to be seating are shocking too. I've been to many county grounds all over the country and Walsh Park is by far the biggest sh1thole around. You actually feel embarrassed when matches are screened live there.

I don't feel any need to be embarrassed about Walsh Park. It wouldn't take much to make it better (not setting the bar very high there) and it's frustrating when those minor improvements don't materialise, but it's actually fit for purpose. It rarely stages games of more than a few hundred, let alone a few thousand. The end point of all these discussions always seem to centre around building yet another white elephant. If the choice was between fulfilling all the wishes of the noisiest critics or doing nothing with the ground, I'd go for the latter.

• Advertisement

I don't feel any need to be embarrassed about Walsh Park. It wouldn't take much to make it better (not setting the bar very high there) and it's frustrating when those minor improvements don't materialise, but it's actually fit for purpose. It rarely stages games of more than a few hundred, let alone a few thousand. The end point of all these discussions always seem to centre around building yet another white elephant. If the choice was between fulfilling all the wishes of the noisiest critics or doing nothing with the ground, I'd go for the latter.

No one is looking for another gaelic ground here, the capacity of the ground is fine as you say, but it is not fit for purpose. Just some seats that you can sit on for more than 20 mins without getting a pain in your arse and an even concrete terrace that is pretty much standard in every county ground is what is needed.

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't get a pain in my arse sitting in the stand in Walsh Park. I quite like being able to, shall we say, spread myself out which is something you couldn't do in a plastic seat. As for the terraces, I agree with that.

redlead wrote: »
    Spot on. Whatever they spent the money on recently they have made it worse. Whatever cowboy job they did on the Ard na Greine terrace, the whole lot fell in on top of the peoples gardens (would have killed anyone standing on the other side) - and tt still looks a mess there!

At a very minimum there should be concrete terracing instead of the crap gravel with weeds growing out of it there and a wall with nails sticking out of it. The two planks of wood which are supposed to be seating are shocking too. I've been to many county grounds all over the country and Walsh Park is by far the biggest sh1thole around. You actually feel embarrassed when matches are screened live there.

I do recall being at a qualifier in Dr.cullen park and thinking it was like some ground out of Russia....maybe it's upgraded since???

So it's not the crapness of Walsh park is the issue (new dressing rooms???)

A lot of the issue is waterford City is too far out of the way to be realistically holding neutral championship matches

Didn't the gaa once refuse to pay to upgrade lights in Walsh park for this very reason???
    And instead provided funding for fraher fields light!!!

If it's championship matches people want...it's fraher field should be upgraded???....more room around it to develop etc!!!

But this in all honesty would open up the old East v west divide

I do recall being at a qualifier in Dr.cullen park and thinking it was like some ground out of Russia....maybe it's upgraded since???

So it's not the crapness of Walsh park is the issue (new dressing rooms???)

A lot of the issue is waterford City is too far out of the way to be realistically holding neutral championship matches

Didn't the gaa once refuse to pay to upgrade lights in Walsh park for this very reason???
    And instead provided funding for fraher fields light!!!

If it's championship matches people want...it's fraher field should be upgraded???....more room around it to develop etc!!!

But this in all honesty would open up the old East v west divide

We aren't going to get any neutral games anyway so it's more just about getting a good quality small ground to cater for Waterfords needs. It would be maddness to have the county ground anywhere but in the city where you have the counties two biggest towns within a few miles of it. I would imagine you would be getting much smaller attendances if all games were in Dungarvan.

redlead wrote: »
    We aren't going to get any neutral games anyway so it's more just about getting a good quality small ground to cater for Waterfords needs. It would be maddness to have the county ground anywhere but in the city where you have the counties two biggest towns within a few miles of it. I would imagine you would be getting much smaller attendances if all games were in Dungarvan.

Counties 2 biggest towns? If you mean Tramore Yea lets accommodate that mighty GAA stronghold by making sure its within close proximity to our main stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TGV

Scrap the two of them and build something new in Kilmacthomas proper parking and facilities fit for the purpose run buses from city and west Waterford on big match days 20 - 30 k capacity max with training grounds available for all inter county, club, and school teams. Too progressive??

TGV wrote: »
    Scrap the two of them and build something new in Kilmacthomas proper parking and facilities fit for the purpose run buses from city and west Waterford on big match days 20 - 30 k capacity max with training grounds available for all inter county, club, and school teams. Too progressive??

I still beleive carriganore is the best way to go as having a proper gaa stadium and facility in the county. Its convenience and accesibilty is better not just within the county but to other counties aswell. Its hosted some colleges games in the past few months involving teams from outside the county. Not a hope would these games have been brought to Walsh Park had carriganore not been available. WP is an old stadium in an old area of the city. Time to build for future generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Picasso100

Redevelop Fraher
    Better parking with plenty land around to make more.
    Middle of the county
    Better pitch
    Nicest hotel in the county next door

That Walsh Park is possibly the most depressing place in the world outside Siberia.

TGV wrote: »

Worst idea ever. I've been on match day buses ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Are the minor hurlers/footballers out soon? Any news about a panel for both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Jaysus hard to believe minor championship starting next week, hurlers out against Tipp in Thurles and the same opposition and venue a week later for the footballers. That came up fast.
    Would also welcome any team news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The rest of your post makes some sense, but this really doesn't. Waterford city is on a lot of key routes (including the M9) and is as easily accessible to a lot of the country as anywhere else that holds championship matches (Nowlan Park, Semple Stadium, Pairc Ui Chaoimh, the Gaelic Grounds).

If we had a decent stadium, it would be eminently suitable for neutral games involving Wexford v Anyone for example! Kilkenny v Cork or Cork v Dublin neutral games are generally best suited to Thurles location wise, but that's every bit as out of the way for those supporters as Waterford would be.

Where would you play Tipp v Kilkenny if you wanted a neutral venue for example? I can only think of Tullamore, Wexford or Limerick offhand. Waterford is just as easy to get to for those counties.

My own 2c is that Carriganore would be ideal, since it's got terrific road access to the rest of the county and beyond, plus plenty of space for parking and expansion.

fricatus wrote: »
    Where would you play Tipp v Kilkenny if you wanted a neutral venue for example? I can only think of Tullamore, Wexford or Limerick offhand. Waterford is just as easy to get to for those counties

Croke Park. There's a thread on the GAA Discussion Board about capacities of inter-county grounds where the OP is doing a project for college with the intention of looking at 'the "optimal" location (i.e. minimal travel time) based on expected numbers and venue capacity'. Given the size of Croke Park and the ease of getting to Dublin from all points in the country, building another venue in Munster for the purposes of hosting the occasional big match seems like overkill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Croke Park. There's a thread on the GAA Discussion Board about capacities of inter-county grounds where the OP is doing a project for college with the intention of looking at 'the "optimal" location (i.e. minimal travel time) based on expected numbers and venue capacity'. Given the size of Croke Park and the ease of getting to Dublin from all points in the country, building another venue in Munster for the purposes of hosting the occasional big match seems like overkill.

Remember that I was addressing the point that Waterford city is "too far out of the way to be realistically holding neutral championship matches", so I was looking at it from a purely geographical perspective.

My point is that Waterford (as a city) is well connected with an awful lot of hurling territory, and that geography is not an issue. Obviously you would hold a big match in Croker, but Waterford is closer than Dublin for all of Kilkenny and most of Tipp and Wexford.

A suitable ground is, of course, another matter entirely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Remember that I was addressing the point that Waterford city is "too far out of the way to be realistically holding neutral championship matches", so I was looking at it from a purely geographical perspective.

My point is that Waterford (as a city) is well connected with an awful lot of hurling territory, and that geography is not an issue. Obviously you would hold a big match in Croker, but Waterford is closer than Dublin for all of Kilkenny and most of Tipp and Wexford.

Don't forget that twice in the last six years the GAA decided that the Gaelic Grounds on the Ennis Road in Limerick was a suitable neutral venue for Waterford V Clare Championship matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Cannot agree that Fraher Field is a better pitch or facility in any manner. It is a tighter pitch, and the town end goal mouth is a disgrace. The dressing room area is ridiculous, while the stand especially the covered part of it is tiny. The only thing going for it is a central location in terms of the county.

Walsh Park may not be ideal by an means, but unless you are going to turn Fraher Field into a green field site, and start a fresh it is a waste of time.

- The field at Walsh Park has improved greatly in recent years and it would not take a lot to improve this further. There is more often then not a gale coming in off the sea in Dungarvan, making it a proverbial "game of two halves".
    - Proper terracing with some degree of coverage such as in Ennis would not need massive investment but would be a massive improvement with out too much of an outlay. To do anything with the banks in Dungarvan would require a lot of preliminary work.
    - Parking is available on match days within a reasonable distance already and I am sure there is an opportunity to purchase or rent the Fannings Cash & Carry site on Keane's Road would open up endless development prospects. Any time there is a big game of any sorts in Dungarvan parking is an issue, whereas Walsh Park has hosted the Munster Championship Games against Dungarvan and Ken's night without any parking issues.

Ideally a move to Carriganore with all its facilities would be best but the money needed to put in additional stands and terracing, especially as some of this would be likely to encroach on other playing surfaces at this stage, and getting reasonable sale prices for Fraher Field and Walsh Park in the current climate would be difficult.

This is not a question of East v West, it is merely a case of economics and whre teh least money wil get you the most improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

For a ground to be considered useful it has to be within reason, neutral to both counties. Outside of Tipp v Cork there is no other Munster pairing that Walsh park could be considered useful. Even then the home and away arrangements in Semple Stadium & the new Pairc Ui Chaoimh would have to be ignored as well as the Gaelic Grounds which would be as good a neutral venue as any stadium in Waterford.

Here's all of the Munster pairings with what I believe is the best suited neutral grounds.

Tipp v Cork - Limerick
    Tipp v Clare - Limerick
    Tipp v Limerick - Cork
    Tipp v Waterford - Cork
    Cork v Clare - Limerick/ Thurles
    Cork v Limerick - Thurles
    Cork v Waterford - Thurles
    Clare v Limerick - Thurles
    Clare v Waterford - Thurles
    Limerick v Waterford - Thurles

dcrosskid wrote: »
    For a ground to be considered useful it has to be within reason, neutral to both counties. Outside of Tipp v Cork there is no other Munster pairing that Walsh park could be considered useful. Even then the home and away arrangements in Semple Stadium & the new Pairc Ui Chaoimh would have to be ignored as well as the Gaelic Grounds which would be as good a neutral venue as any stadium in Waterford.

Here's all of the Munster pairings with what I believe is the best suited neutral grounds.

Tipp v Cork - Limerick
    Tipp v Clare - Limerick
    Tipp v Limerick - Cork
    Tipp v Waterford - Cork
    Cork v Clare - Limerick/ Thurles
    Cork v Limerick - Thurles
    Cork v Waterford - Thurles
    Clare v Limerick - Thurles
    Clare v Waterford - Thurles
    Limerick v Waterford - Thurles

Yes but if it was a decent gorund with a capacity to hold such crowds we would be using it in home/away arrangements like everyone else in Munster does (Clare aside). It would also be a good neutral venue for most Munster v Leinster teams as a poster already alluded to above. That ship has sailed though so all we really want is an improved stand with decent bucket seats and and concrete terrace.

If we are strapped for cash we should be trying to use Nowlan park as a home venue for championship games in my opinion. I doubt the Munster council or westies would go for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

The rest of your post makes some sense, but this really doesn't. Waterford city is on a lot of key routes (including the M9) and is as easily accessible to a lot of the country as anywhere else that holds championship matches (Nowlan Park, Semple Stadium, Pairc Ui Chaoimh, the Gaelic Grounds).

If we had a decent stadium, it would be eminently suitable for neutral games involving Wexford v Anyone for example! Kilkenny v Cork or Cork v Dublin neutral games are generally best suited to Thurles location wise, but that's every bit as out of the way for those supporters as Waterford would be.

Where would you play Tipp v Kilkenny if you wanted a neutral venue for example? I can only think of Tullamore, Wexford or Limerick offhand. Waterford is just as easy to get to for those counties.

My own 2c is that Carriganore would be ideal, since it's got terrific road access to the rest of the county and beyond, plus plenty of space for parking and expansion.
    and why only neutral games ,Tipp,Cork,Limerick,have home championship games ,not sure if im right ,but i think its a deal between their county boards ,also i heard Tipp county board get €50k for staging a championship game

I've long thought staging our home Championship ties in Nowlan Park would be a great idea. But it seems it would offend the dignity of the Munster Championship far more than having a crowd of barely 12,000 rattling around in Semple Stadium does.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement