Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I the only person notices this???? CHARITY COLLECTORS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭loglogbarkbark

When i think about it i was never told what to do if someone won

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Charity should be voluntary.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nordiestar

When i think about it i was never told what to do if someone won

Does that make you suspicious looking back?

Yeah it does. But the boss looked really passionate about the charity and i had an id with numbers i hope it was legit cos i see alot of my old charity around now on dublin and loughrea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

astrofool wrote: »
    So you sold €7 of charity scratch cards and got €6.30?

He didn't say how much the scratch cards were sold for...
    OutlawPete wrote: »
    In fairness, I understand why people say this.

This country (and other's also) have gotten to the stage where, as soon as you mention someone's race in context with a complaint or a crime, then they will automatically label you as a racist.

What has race got to do with anything exactly? You don't hear people complaining about their nationality when they are Irish, do ya? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It was three euro per card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

What has race got to do with anything exactly? You don't hear people complaining about their nationality when they are Irish, do ya? :rolleyes:

Eh, mind you don't fall off your chair their with all that eye rolling.

What has race got to do with anything?

It's part of the story. It's descriptive.

I am not talking about every single person who ever said 'I am not racist but..'.

What I am pointing out is that people are far too quick to label someone a racist these days. So you will find that they tend to precede what they say with that statement to try and preempt a verbal attack labeling them as such.

I get a lot of Nigerians putting 'fake' charity plastic sacks through my door looking for second hand clothes which annoys the hell out of the genuine charities who do the same.

Am I a racist for pointing out they are Nigerians?

Seems to me some people want too see racism far too much. Maybe it gives them some sense of superiority if they can get on their soapbox at the mere mention of someone's race.

If I see a bunch of louts from Teresa's Gardens fighting in the street, I'm gonna say "I see a bunch of louts from Teresa's Gardens fighting in the street" and nobody will say a negative word in response.

However, if I see a bunch of Roma, Polish or any other race fighting in the street and say so - all of a sudden I am a racist?

Bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Am I a racist for pointing out they are Nigerians?

How do you know they are from Nigeria as opposed to say Benin or Chad or Cameroon or.........

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    How do you know they are from Nigeria as opposed to say Benin or Chad or Cameroon or.........

Mike, if I say they are Nigerian - it means they are Nigerian, alright?

Stop trying to make someone look like a racist.

These two particular guys are brothers and know them from back in 2002 when they use to have hairdressing supply shop in Dolphin's Barn.

See, this is the attitude I am talking about. People sooooo want others to be racist. Why??

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I get a lot of Nigerians.......These two particular guys are brothers and know them

You may or may not be racist but you sure seem to contradict yourself a lot ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Just say No to Chuggers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Alessandra wrote: »
    Charity should be voluntary.

People just don't bring in as much that way.

I think there should be a codeword for charity workers, telesales too, that if they don't stop talking when you say it you can sue them. I've seen them bank details type sign people up out of awkwardness. Not on.

You may or may not be racist but you sure seem to contradict yourself a lot ?

Jesus man, what are you talking about? I didn't contradict myself at all, let alone "a lot".

Read back the post and cop on. The "two" was in context with how I know that THEY are Nigerians.

I said I know as there are two brothers that I am very familar with from running hair supply shops and even a failed internet cafe before that.

'Two' can be part of a group you know.

I have seen at least a dozen or so of these Nigerians drop these bags.

The main guy NEVER drops the bags and has other family members do it.

You may not like the fact that people use race as a descriptive term but as far as I am concerned it is absolutely ludacris not to.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

The Hanley Centre are the worst. Not so much now, but you couldn't ****ing walk up Grafton or Henry Street without these assholes shoving stuff in your face every five seconds; sometimes the same ones twice a day. You say no and they actually insist, or roll their eyes at you. The worst part is my friend worked for them and NO money goes to charity. :/

Patchy~ wrote: »
    The Hanley Centre are the worst. Not so much now, but you couldn't ****ing walk up Grafton or Henry Street without these assholes shoving stuff in your face every five seconds; sometimes the same ones twice a day. You say no and they actually insist, or roll their eyes at you. The worst part is my friend worked for them and NO money goes to charity. :/

There is a guy been bothering me for 20 years now!

Back in 1990 he first approached me.

It's that guy on Abbey St offerening the personality tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

spoofilyj wrote: »
    Ah the first thread about Chuggers of 2010, love that fresh new topics being discussed in Classic Rock/AH:D

Simple way to deal with them, Head phones on walk straight past.
    Its the ones holding clip boards that want you to sign up for something that I dont like, I dont mind throwing a few quid into a box for the rest of them.

OR tell them you've already signed up... have a quick glance adn tell em you signed up on hte website or with the other guy on the other end of the street.

my greatest fear confirmed!

From now on my 3€ is gonna get spent on a LOTTO scratch card!
    charity begins at HOME after all lmbo!

Thats who i worked for how do you know the money doesnt go to charity

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

I'm embarassed to say but I was a chugger for a stage. There was no other jobs going during the summer so I did that... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭scanlas

Advice for chuggers, don't raise your eyebrows and wave your arms around to get people to stop. It acts as a repellent. Smile but don't raise the eyebrows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

The people who hire people for this job have it all wrong. Instead of hiring crusty looking men and women who haven't washed their hair in a decade they should pick attractive young people kind of like the ones you see in pubs selling shots. They just need to advertise the job as a marketing and promotions position rather than a charity one and all these lovelies would come jump at the chance to do the job. I would stop and chat to a 20 year old rugger bugger anyday but the smelly crusties p*** me off.

Lux23 wrote: »
    The people who hire people for this job have it all wrong. Instead of hiring crusty looking men and women who haven't washed their hair in a decade they should pick attractive young people kind of like the ones you see in pubs selling shots. They just need to advertise the job as a marketing and promotions position rather than a charity one and all these lovelies would come jump at the chance to do the job. I would stop and chat to a 20 year old rugger bugger anyday but the smelly crusties p*** me off.

Personally, I couldn't give 2 fiddlers whether the person collecting,begging or just damn annoying me looks like someone from Baywatch, or someone from Crimewatch!
    My rant us the fact that these lowlifes have turned good old fashioned charities into businesses under the false pretence that all our hard earned cash is heading to some good cause, when in actual fact it's lining the pockets of a few well to do business brains!

Donating to charity?

Give it to action cancer/trocraie or the likes DIRECT

The Hanley Centre are the worst.

1) Are they still around ?
    2) What/who exactly are they and what do they supposedly do ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 edvedfan

People just don't bring in as much that way.

I've seen them bank details type sign people up out of awkwardness. Not on.

yeah totally, was on o connell street with one of my friends, i didnt have a bank account at the time, but she did. She worked for five hours over the weekend and he was tring to persuade her to give him her details. Then he suggested that i give her half of the money each week and she went the whole way over to the bank to get her details while he came with us before she just put her foot down and said no.

I completely understand why you would have to be bubbly and outgoing for the job, but think it's really uncomfortable when people are so pushy and forward about it. Like if i am giving money to charity, i would rather do it freely than feel like i'm being forced to do it by some randomer who is going to get paid for it and spouting statistics at me, trying to make me feel bad for being more fortunate than others. I think it kinda contradicts the idea of charity to be honest

edvedfan wrote: »
    was on o connell street with one of my friends, i didnt have a bank account at the time

Is that you Bertie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭RedDragonJack

He didn't say how much the scratch cards were sold for...

Well no, because you'd expect them to be irish, being Ireland, you know, where Irish people come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

Dont know much about the chugger situation in Dublin but they do be about in Galway city a bit. The worst is some help the disabled guys outside HMV. There is not one but two on either side of as you walk by and they are the most pushy f*ckers i've ever seen. Not really asking but more demanding your money.

Walked out of HMV one day and one of them stood right in front of me right in my face and demanded some money off me. Give him 10c out of my pocket just to get rid of him and he looked at me like I spat at him because I only gave 10c.
    C*nt.

Always laugh though when i'm walking by cancer chuggers and i'm smoking a cig. Still wouldn't give you money you annoying bas*tards even though i'm very likely to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

I just tell them that I'm an a$$hole and that I never give money to anyone other than myself. Works a treat every time. The fact that its true probably adds to it's efficacy tbf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

1) Are they still around ?
    2) What/who exactly are they and what do they supposedly do ?

http://www.thehanlycentre.com/

They help people with addictions.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    http://www.thehanlycentre.com/

They help people with addictions.

I'm addicted to Xbox, aldis frankfurter beer, havin the odd puff of the rare stuff, women and my iPhone (been told I'm. Workaholic too!)

I haven't seen a penny from these feckers yet hah

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement