Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I the only person notices this???? CHARITY COLLECTORS

Options
  • 04-01-2010 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hello all.

Firstly,sorry if this is in the wrong section, I'm new here!

I am sick sore and tired of charity collectors in this country whom have sprung up from nowhere collecting for charities I for one have never heard off before!

I give you Exibit A:
    These folk who stand outside the shops/postoffices or banks, facing you as you leave or enter with their bogus smiles wearing a stupid yellow high vis vest with help the homeless/autism/addiction/asthma/mybeerfund!!!!

I mean, half the times its the same folk wearing a different vest, and (maybe its a coincidince, but NONE of these folk ever seem to be Irish?)

I'm not racist, but WHY are these folk always Eastern Europeans/Foreigners, Before someone pipes up with the "Irish folk too lazy to do this" scenario, I for one am just going to cut to the chase and propose that these folk are BOGUS!

IS their a guideline as to how MUCH they have to donate to charity? I.E if they collected 100euro from being outside a shop all day, if the donate a tenner to charity, then are their bums covered?

Its really making me dread going to the shops when I see them, because they smile and ask you to donate on your way in, then do the exact same on the way OUT!!!!!

ARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

I'm not racist, but WHY are these folk always Eastern Europeans/Foreigners,

Because its a crap job and doesn't pay very well.

I used to sell those scratch cards for the Irish lung foundation and the likes outside shops and they are a total scam for sure.

It does annoy me allright when your walking around town and you are plagued by them. Henry St is the worst.
    Not sure about how much goes to the "cause" but I'd say it's more of a business than a charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not a Consumer Issue - Moved to After Hours (or maybe R&R?)

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

nordiestar wrote: »
    (maybe its a coincidince, but NONE of these folk ever seem to be Irish?)

Ah sure there's no Irish in Ireland any more. It's just Nigerians, Romanians and the odd Scottish person in Ireland these days.

Did you not get the memo about moving to Iceland last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

nordiestar, we have noticed. It's just that we call them chuggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Magnus wrote: »
    nordiestar, we have noticed. It's just that we call them chuggers.

Never heard that term before.

I have learned something, and for that I am grateful to you. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Hello all.

Firstly,sorry if this is in the wrong section, I'm new here!

I am sick sore and tired of charity collectors in this country whom have sprung up from nowhere collecting for charities I for one have never heard off before!

I give you Exibit A:
    These folk who stand outside the shops/postoffices or banks, facing you as you leave or enter with their bogus smiles wearing a stupid yellow high vis vest with help the homeless/autism/addiction/asthma/mybeerfund!!!!

I mean, half the times its the same folk wearing a different vest, and (maybe its a coincidince, but NONE of these folk ever seem to be Irish?)

I'm not racist, but WHY are these folk always Eastern Europeans/Foreigners, Before someone pipes up with the "Irish folk too lazy to do this" scenario, I for one am just going to cut to the chase and propose that these folk are BOGUS!

IS their a guideline as to how MUCH they have to donate to charity? I.E if they collected 100euro from being outside a shop all day, if the donate a tenner to charity, then are their bums covered?

Its really making me dread going to the shops when I see them, because they smile and ask you to donate on your way in, then do the exact same on the way OUT!!!!!

ARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

You had me 'til here.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Ah the first thread about Chuggers of 2010, love that fresh new topics being discussed in Classic Rock/AH:D

Simple way to deal with them, Head phones on walk straight past.
    Its the ones holding clip boards that want you to sign up for something that I dont like, I dont mind throwing a few quid into a box for the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Hate the bastards that ask you for your bank account details, then act all offended when you won't give it to them.

ESPECIALLY hate this question: If you say you want to think about, they reply, "What's there to think about?" This is obviously a prerehearsed salesperson trick. You obviously don't know what there's to think about, BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T THOUGHT ABOUT IT YET!
    "Whether I want to {insert whatever it is they are trying to sign you up for here}", and looking at them like they are an idiot is the correct answer.
    I used to sell those scratch cards for the Irish lung foundation and the likes outside shops and they are a total scam for sure.
    Really, how so?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Never heard that term before.

. :D

And how are things on planet Uranus ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

komodosp wrote: »
    Hate the bastards that ask you for your bank account details, then act all offended when you won't give it to them.

ESPECIALLY hate this question: If you say you want to think about, they reply, "What's there to think about?" This is obviously a prerehearsed salesperson trick. You obviously don't know what there's to think about, BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T THOUGHT ABOUT IT YET!
    "Whether I want to {insert whatever it is they are trying to sign you up for here}", and looking at them like they are an idiot is the correct answer.

Really, how so?

Simple way to get around it. Tell them your already registered with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    Because its a crap job and doesn't pay very well.

A lot of those jobs pay about €13.50 an hour, which is more then most jobs out there at the moment. They also get commission based on sign-ups in some chugging schemes.
    syklops wrote: »
    Simple way to get around it. Tell them your already registered with them.

My one is to just not acknowledge them. I don't mind giving to charity at all, but any of them that follow me around the streets will never see a cent from me. Which is fine. If more people did the same they wouldn't be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Just don't stop or give anything. I mean they hardly note down your description and then jerk off on your burger when they head to their other job in McDonalads later on because you didn't stop and 'donate' to them. I only give to heart disease and cancer and some other diseases such as MS occasionally and it's only to reputable agencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭loglogbarkbark

I was a chugger for a day last year i sold seven scratchcards for a rehab center got 6.30 for the day. The thing that pissed me off is that the advert said basic wage plus commission but you only got basic wage if you sold 70 a day.
    I didnt find that out untill i collected my wage at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

And how are things on planet Uranus ?

They're good, I feel a bit lonely around Christmas and that though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Cianos wrote: »
    You had me 'til here.
    :rolleyes:
    he actually wasnt being racist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

aDeener wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    he actually wasnt being racist

I noticed that too. It must be the only time that the phrase "I'm not racist but...." was used before something not racist.

Although it was funny how he thought he needed to use it in case people accused him of racism for merely making a simple observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I was a chugger for a day last year i sold seven scratchcards for a rehab center got 6.30 for the day. The thing that pissed me off is that the advert said basic wage plus commission but you only got basic wage if you sold 70 a day.
    I didnt find that out untill i collected my wage at the end of the day.

So you sold €7 of charity scratch cards and got €6.30?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I'm not racist, but....

Was tempted to stop reading here but you've raised a point. Professional charity collecting is the most parasitic field I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

What about Exhibit B?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

What about Exhibit B?

A chugger-bib torn in two by the OP. This is, of course, the tryout of his defence in a pending assault case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nordiestar

You had me 'til here.

Am I missing something?

If I have came across as racist I'm extremely sorry. Thats not what I mean, I was actually getting to imply that these are all "Irish charities" with foreigners employed, as Irishmen and women probably know better! I'm not talking about payment either, I'm talking about standing in the bitter cold from 8am until 6pm, in the one spot (I have witnessed this) for a "Managing Director" of a charity somewhere who drives his 09 Jag into HQ wearing his sheepskin jacket and smoking his big fat cigar!

Charity my backside

Rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭loglogbarkbark

astrofool wrote: »
    So you sold €7 of charity scratch cards and got €6.30?
    No the scratch cards were 3 euro each and i Got ninety cent per scratch card which the boss neglected tell me untill the end of the day

What about Exhibit B?

????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

You had me 'til here.

In fairness, I understand why people say this.

This country (and other's also) have gotten to the stage where, as soon as you mention someone's race in context with a complaint or a crime, then they will automatically label you as a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

OutlawPete wrote: »
    In fairness, I understand why people say this.

This country (and other's also) have gotten to the stage where, as soon as you mention someone's race in context with a complaint or a crime, then people will automatically label you as a racist.

the person's race has nothing to do with the complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

the person's race has nothing to do with the complaint.

It does if the Guards need a description.

No the scratch cards were 3 euro each and i Got ninety cent per scratch card which the boss neglected tell me untill the end of the day

Can i ask you the loglogbarkbark,

Does anyone ACTUALLY win on them things? I'd love to do a deal with a seller some day, that if he gave me ALL his cards, and I won a prze, ANY prize, then I would pay for a scratch card, but not before ha ha

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I NEVER support chuggers, any charities I give to, I send the money to them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

Ive tried something along the following lines a few times.

Chugger: Excuse me sir could i have a few moments of your time?

Me: Why yes of course, id be delighted to take the time to stop and talk to you about whatever trivialities you wish.

Chugger: Excellent. Beuatiful day isnt it? Out doing a bit shopping in the ol' january sales are we.?

Me: No unfortunatly not, funds are very much in the red at the moment! You see i was made redundant just before christmas so as you can imagine (what with a mortgage, young family etc), i wont be spending frivolously anytime soon!
    So whats with the clipboard? Are you doing a survey of some sort?

Chugger: Em no, actually im collecting for charity. Would you like to make a donation to the needy?

Me: Oh my goodness, your an answer to my prayers! How do i sign up?

Chugger: Well its only a matter of filling out this form with your bank details etc.

Me: Excellent, and when can i expect to get the first payment?

Chugger: Eh no it doesnt really work like that. We TAKE a set amount from your account each month

Me: Hang on a second you said you help the needy, well im needy, help me!

Chugger: Err...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Jokesetal

Just to be clear: Is there a difference between a chugger (armed with a clip-board, forms for account details, hooks like tax breaks etc.) and a "Lottery Card Seller"?
    I challenged this "lady" selling tickets in our local for Polio Ireland but using an MS ID card. When I asked she just went to the next table....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement