Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

chivalry - yes or no?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Nuravictus

Nerin wrote: »

Go on.....

hehe A Gentlemen never says :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

I'm a big sucker for it too I have to say. My OH is such a gentleman, not just to me, but to everyone around him, and I have to say its a massive turn on for me. I love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Kya1976 wrote: »
    yup and I'm rude and not very polite so there ya go:p:pac:
    yeah Stockholm sure is lovely

Kaften!!! (hopefully that makes sense :pac:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Scene from film "Scent of a Woman" (1992), where Al Pacino had told Charlie Simms (played by Chris O'Donnell) that if you open her car door and she gets in, then she reaches over to unlock yours, she's a keeper. But if she just sits there and lets you (the lad) unlock your door after opening hers, then she's not! There's symmetry in this scene?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Kaften!!! (hopefully that makes sense :pac:)
    hehehe 'hall kaften' certainly would make sense anyway:D
    Hagar wrote: »
    Selective quoting FTW :D
    well it made me lol:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

Nuravictus wrote: »
    I hate backstabbing but everyone does it sadly. I would presume on that matter swedes are no different.
    think I should have put in a few of these:p:pac::D in my reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

...letting you off the bus first (downstairs vs. upstairs croud meeting at the stairs). I suppose I'm a bit embarrassed when a man in his 40s or so holds up the queue of people wishing to exit just to let little me out... but yet as mentioned, it prevents confusions; the unspoken rule that he'll let you pass first / open the door for you. :)

I normally sit upstairs on the bus I get to work every day. I always do this (letting women from downstairs exits before I join the exit queue from upstairs)

This one morning there were a load of women leaving the bus from downstairs so I was holding up the upstairs queue for a while. Anyway I hear first a loud sigh, a then a "for **** sake move!!!". I turn around to expect to see a bloke, to my shock it was a women. I explained why I was doing what I was doing and all I got was a look of disdain like "God what a schmuck"

I guess it's a case of "damned if you do and damned if you don't".

Anyway I'll continue to open doors and let women out first as that's the way I was brought up. BTW: I'm a bloke. :D

cuckoo wrote: »
    See, you were doing really well, until you told us all the details of your plan.

I'm going to go out now and search every bush until i find the camoflagued Creamy Goodness. It'll be a quest!

(if i'm not posting here for a bit it'll be because the Guards didn't belive the "i'm looking for chivalry" reason to be in St Stephens Green park at 2am....)

((((CCrrreemmohohohoho))))

Why did I leave you unprotected.

~smashes head against wall~

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

/Sprays Moonbaby with the anti rabid and stalker spray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Good manners / chivalry is a great trait in a human. I would only go out with someone who treats people well - if he treats the bus driver, waiter, his family well, then odds on he will also treat you well...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Thaedydal wrote: »
    ... I have appreciated it if I am wearing very feminine clothing. Getting out of a car with any sort of a short skit and heels can be awkward as all those horrid pics of celeb show.

Having your date for the evening open the car door, stand blocking anyone's view and over you their hand to steady yourself as you get out of the car can make the difference between doing so elegantly or wobbling and putting far more on show of yourself then you intended.

Keep your knees and ankles together at all times, and swivel your body as you take your legs out of the car. Plant both feet on the pavement before either accepting a helping hand out of the car, or steadying yourself with one hand as you rise in one movement. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

Keep your knees and ankles together at all times, and swivel your body as you take your legs out of the car. Plant both feet on the pavement before either accepting a helping hand out of the car, or steadying yourself with one hand as you rise in one movement. Simple.

+1 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

I regularly hold the door for folks, or let them through the door/up stairs first if I know I'm not in a hurry, since for all I know they may be.
    Have dropped offering my jacket when a girl complains she's cold though, as although I have a quite high resistance to the cold folks tend to read into it too much and seek motives where there are none.:rolleyes:

In fact I'd be thanking folks here on the forums right now but since earlier in the week boards has taken to logging me out whenever I try to thank someone.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Don't worry farohar, I thanked you.

"Lean on me,
    When you're not strong,
    I'll be your friend,
    I'll help you car-raaaaay onnnnnnn..."
    :D

I think holding doors and stuff like that is nothing to do with chivilary and everything to do with basic politness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Scene from film "Scent of a Woman" (1992), where Al Pacino had told Charlie Simms (played by Chris O'Donnell) that if you open her car door and she gets in, then she reaches over to unlock yours, she's a keeper. But if she just sits there and lets you (the lad) unlock your door after opening hers, then she's not! There's symmetry in this scene?

Really? That was in A Bronx Tale too. Bloody lazy pillfering script-writers!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Central locking - the enemy of chivalry today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Really? That was in A Bronx Tale too. Bloody lazy pillfering script-writers!:mad:
    You better talk nicely about them, or they may go on strike again leaving us with only reruns.

Chivalry? I'll just settle for common courtesy between the sexes. Dump the stereotyping related to gender, and treat us as unique individuals with personalities, talents, and shortcomings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

When I was at the viewing of the new apartment with my GF, my new flatmate and the girl from the letting agency, I held the doors open for them all, simply down to my manners.
    The girls all ended up commenting on it, saying I was a gentleman, and that the GF was lucky, and they'd love a man with such manners...
    :o Had a big red face on me from the compliments :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

When I was at the viewing of the new apartment with my GF, my new flatmate and the girl from the letting agency, I held the doors open for them all, simply down to my manners.
    The girls all ended up commenting on it, saying I was a gentleman, and that the GF was lucky, and they'd love a man with such manners...
    :o Had a big red face on me from the compliments :o

Putting in the groundwork with the flatmate before you even move in. I like your style. When can we expect the P.I thread? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

A lot of people are mentioning that they either love it or can do it without. I don't know about other guys but I love treating a girl like a lady, opening doors, getting the taxi, offering my coat if looks cold (ill usually have a shirt and jumper).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ah the age of chivalry is dead, however from the look of this thread the age of simple manners maybe dying as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

With regards to "Chivalry", it's quite literally one of the things that has lost all meaning with people today.

Back in the day it meant acting with honour in your life, being able to kick ass and even broke down the rules of love and courtship for knights, how they were to properly act etc.

Now it means holding doors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Dragan wrote: »
    With regards to "Chivalry", it's quite literally one of the things that has lost all meaning with people today.

Back in the day it meant acting with honour in your life, being able to kick ass and even broke down the rules of love and courtship for knights, how they were to properly act etc.

Its meaning changed. Not surprising since the concept of middle age knights no longer exists either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Sangre wrote: »
    Its meaning changed. Not surprising since the concept of middle age knights no longer exists either.

Speak for yourself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Dragan wrote: »

Goes to show you how low our standards have gotten. It's pathetic.

Forget honour. There is no honour anymore, thanks to fashionable cynicism, which in my opinion is an inappropriate and driven by brainwashing as the sentimentality if the Victorian age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Glad to see the general consensus that chivalry is welcome because it's one of the few gifts I was given by my parents.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I disagree, there are still some people who have honour, and really value thier personal honour, thier word, thier self respect and how they respect themsevles and others. which has nothing to do with sassanachs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I disagree, there are still some people who have honour, and really value thier personal honour, thier word, thier self respect and how they respect themsevles and others. which has nothing to do with sassanachs.

? Directed at me?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Yes there are, a few left, that is for sure, but it is not something the culture advocates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

like sangre i do enjoy being gentlemanlike and treating the woman i'm out with like a lady, so opening doors, offering coats, holding and blowing warmth onto cold hands etc...if she'd prefer i didnt, i'd stop...also, I do hold doors open for people in public...other men without fail always say thanks...50% of the women/girls i hold the door for don't and i'm one of those people who screams YOU'RE WELCOME!!!! in their faces when they try and sail through without a word of thanks or even acknowledging my existance, usually just makes them go scarlet and scuttle off.

Advertisement