Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surprise Party

Options
  • 21-11-2008 3:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

Surprise party thrown for you by your OH....love it or hate it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

You just had to, didn't you?

Thaed banned for a year. At least!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Zaph wrote: »

She's got bigger balls than the rest of us!!!

nkay1985 wrote: »
    She's got bigger balls than the rest of us!!!

Nah, she just knows where I live so she can terrorise me in person anytime she feels like it. :D

And in answer to the question, considering I ended up in hospital after the one and only surprise party I ever threw, I hate the feckin' things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Zaph what are you doing still up ?

Yup.

Love you too :D

Anyway back on topic,

Ever had friends/family/Fella spring a surpise party on you or try to ?
    Which is worse it not really being a surprise or getting utter surprised and not wearing anything smart, or make up and with your hair looking a right mess ?

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Zaph what are you doing still up ?

Making sure no-one is posting threads about surprise parties behind my back. ;)

Actually it's a bit later than I thought, time for bed. Night night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I'd hate it.

I like to have everything planned out and dislike surprises of any sort. I have said to himself a few times how I'd hate it if anyone ever threw me a surprise party, so hopefully the message has got through!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i think it'd actually be quite sweet.

not happen in a million years though, but i wouldnt mind it.

and no, i wouldnt be arsed i didnt have my hair/makeup done. im pretty sure any mate he woulda invited, wont be too dressed up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

I'd love a surprise party! I don't think it would ever happen, I can't see my boyfriend ever doing it, but it would be so nice if someone went to all that effort for me.

I wouldn't mind if I wasn't that dressed up, I'm usually a pretty underdressed person anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I had one last year, it was great. But I was all dolled up for going out anyway, just didn't expect so many people.

I would hate if one was thrown and I was just mooching around the house in my old jeans when everyone arrived. My my boyfriend knows this too, so it would never happen!

I think he'd like one to be thrown for him actually, although the planning would give me stomach-ache :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I'd hate and love it at the sme time, at least I wouldn't have been worrying aobut who was going to turn up etc... but I also hate being the centre of attention at things like that.
    It would be sweet though knowing people had going to that much of an effort for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Oh I'd love a surprise party! I think it'd be a really sweet thing to do, especially as it takes so much effort sneaking around and trying not to let me catch on. Actually it probably wouldn't be that hard, I'm very trusting and gullible so wouldn't think anything was up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Did it for a friend's birthday once. He's quite shy and would be against the idea in general, but we thought he'd be OK. He did end up having a great night, but told us later that he really had to hold it together (freaked out) when we turned on the lights.

Not sure I'd do it again. Perhaps just for somebody who is more outgoing..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

:) We had one for my grans 60th a couple of years ago. So much effort went into it, hiring out a hotel, contacting people from her past. The woman who was her bridesmaid came over for it. Friends she hadn't seen in years. Some of her family who are living in england.

My Grandad told her they were going to his bosses daughters 21st, so she was all dressed up, and she spent the day in town looking for a pressie for this "daughter" :D

When she walked in, she sobbed her heart out, so did nearly everyone else in the room. She just wasn't expecting it and was so so grateful.

It was the people from her past being there that made it so special for her. So I think maybe when I'm older and it's a "milestone" like 50th or 60th I'd like it, maybe not now though as I still see most of the people who are important to me very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

:) We had one for my grans 60th a couple of years ago. So much effort went into it, hiring out a hotel, contacting people from her past. The woman who was her bridesmaid came over for it. Friends she hadn't seen in years. Some of her family who are living in england.

My Grandad told her they were going to his bosses daughters 21st, so she was all dressed up, and she spent the day in town looking for a pressie for this "daughter" :D

When she walked in, she sobbed her heart out, so did nearly everyone else in the room. She just wasn't expecting it and was so so grateful.

It was the people from her past being there that made it so special for her. So I think maybe when I'm older and it's a "milestone" like 50th or 60th I'd like it, maybe not now though as I still see most of the people who are important to me very often.

That's about the only kind of surprise party that i could handle being thrown for me - one where I've been warned we're going out to a party!

helena.ryan - that's a lovely thing you all did for your Gran.

I love parties :)
    I never organise them for myself because I hate the idea of people fussing about silly things like presents and cards. I'd just love to see my VIP's on special days.
    I'd be chuffed if I had a fella capable of pulling something like that off to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

We had a surprise birthday party for my mum's birthday a few years ago. She was from NY originally and we had her family fly over secretly, some of whom she hadn't seen in years. We also contacted some long lost friends of hers in Ireland and had them all come up for the do.
    My mum was well and truly shocked by the whole thing but she loved it! We all had such a great night, it was really fantastic.

As my mum passed away recently this is one of the best memories I have of her being really happy and I cherish the photos from that night.

But if my OH ever threw a surprise party for me I'd kill him. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Surprise party thrown for you by your OH....love it or hate it?

oh?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

other half.

Ah I'd love it, there isn't a hope in hell my husband would dream of laying any sort of surprise on me, never mind go to the trouble of organising a party, but if he did I'd be well chuffed, as long as people actually showed up - ha!
    The whole, not looking good thing shouldn't be a problem as long as your partner makes out like you're going somewhere nice!!!

A word of warning though, don't tell the surprisee that they're going for dinner, just incase hey starve themselves all day to find a few manky sambos and cocktail saussies being handed out at 11pm!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

My sister and I threw a surprise party for my parents 60th a couple of years ago, just before I left to come overseas - their birthdays are within 2 weeks of each other... a couple of weeks before dads birthday (which is first) mum decided she was going to have an impromtu surprise party for dad, I did my best to talk her out of it without giving anything away but she went ahead with it, inviting all the same people we had invited to their joint party!
    Caused some confusion to say the least... then, on the day of the party - I had arranged for a limo to take them down to the party (Which they thought was dinner) but we had torrentional rain and I had a call about an hour before the limo was meant to arrive to say that the limo had been flooded into its driveway!

Was great though, when mum and dad walked into the room... mum cried, I cried!

The stress though, never again! I'd love a surprise party thrown for me though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I was at a surprise 60th last night. Unfortunately, I missed the surprise bit by about 3 minutes! But the woman whose birthday it was was so happy. She spent the next few hours running around screaming "I'm still in shock!" It was so much fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

I had a surprise party thrown for me three years ago. I walked through my door after having a very difficult and stressful day, just thinking far enough ahead for it to involve a long bath and an early night. I couldn't have felt less like seeing anyone.

When I turned on the lights and the assembled company all shouted surprise, I burst into tears of sheer fright. Everyone assumed it was happiness...after a while though, it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

We threw a surprise party for my nanny's 90th!!! :eek:

She got an awful fright. It was really funny! But she loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Dee369369

Surprise birthdays are a laugh! have done a few for my friends -did one 2months after her bday cos we didn't get to see her so she was very surprised :p

It's a really nice idea last one i got was at 16 think i need another one...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I would absolutely love a surprise party, I think it would be really thoughtful. Also, I find when I throw my own birthday party it can be a bit stressful trying to make sure everything is perfect and I can't properly enjoy myself, so if someone else did it for me it would save me that!
    I have organised two for friends of mine, and both times it went really well. The trick is to make them think you're just meeting for a drink, or that they're coming to your house before going on somewhere else, that way they will have made some effort in how they look and won't be annoyed.
    I considered throwing one for my boyfriend's birthday, but he is very much the shy type and wouldn't have liked all the attention, when I confessed to him ages later about my aborted plan he told me it was a sweet idea but honestly he probably wouldn't have liked it. I think you have to take into consideration how they will take it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I would love it. I wasn't allowed to have birthday parties growing up, and no one's ever done anything like that for me. I've never even received flowers or anything like that from anyone. So if someone threw me a surprise party, I would love it.

I would love it. I wasn't allowed to have birthday parties growing up, and no one's ever done anything like that for me. I've never even received flowers or anything like that from anyone. So if someone threw me a surprise party, I would love it.

aww hugs xx

I feel like sending you flowers now

here you go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

My oh threw one for me on my 25th, my dad was very sick at the time and i was very stressed out/upset/miserable etc. walking in and seeing all of my friends there was amazing (some had come a long way). I was very emotional and couldn't believe my oh managed to do it - he can't organise dinner ffs.;) I had a great night, one of the best nights out I ever had.
    So i loved it! Although thank christ I was dressed up, would have been raging if I had been slobbing in the old jeans and tshirt.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

i'd fricking love it. i'd be blown away by someone going to that effort and for everyone making time to go. it'd be brilliant.

i've done it twice in the past, once for an ex-boyf who couldn't believe his eyes walking into the restaurant to find us all sitting there, most hilarious reaction ever. and then for a mate's birthday, another brilliant night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

nkay1985 wrote: »
    We threw a surprise party for my nanny's 90th!!! :eek:

She got an awful fright. It was really funny! But she loved it.

My family threw my nana a surprise 50th, I was very young at the time so I don't remember it but if I remember the story of it correctly she had a minor heart attack out of fright. Not something I'd do to someone over 40 I think.

I threw my sister a surprise hen night, my aunts and mam werent at her main hen night and I invited her out for dinner and had all the aunts and mam there in the restaurant waiting and we headed off to Riverdance after, she was thrilled.

Edit: to answer the original question, I'd be afraid of someone being accidentally left out of the guest list, obviously I wouldn't blame the organiser of the party but I'd feel pretty bad if someone was overlooked.

Advertisement