Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Defender thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Roman, It's a combined inlet air pressure and temp sensor, they can get mucky but usually aren't a problem.

They've alsways been on the left, no idea why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Slidey wrote: »
    I have a question..

Why are the Defenders ignition on the LHS of the steering column and have they always been there?

I would imagine its due to lack of space on the left.:confused::confused: No idea otherwise............

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

will an 09 Defender Ford Puma engine run on vegetable oil/bio fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

will an 09 Defender Ford Puma engine run on vegetable oil/bio fuel

yes and no , you will need a conversion kit at it won't run on a 100% mix , newer cars just don't take good to it anyway i'd stay away

Agreed, don't think there are any modern common rail diesels that will run on it. Manufacturers websites will mostly say no but that's usually covering their backsides.

There are some very good websites in the UK where brewing your own is common that cover what will safely run on bio diesel or SVO. Mate of mine does it properly with used chip fat and produces very clean bio diesel for his truck and older Land Rover but can't use it in his Toyota Avensis.

• Advertisement

if you get a re-map can you do it ??

No. It's due to the lubricity of diesel which bio or SVO may not have and it's effect on the injectors and other high pressure components.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭dantastic

If ye look back to page 2 of this thread I was in the market for a defender.

Bit of a login snarfu getting on here - old email addresses etc... anyways.

I've been a (very) proud Defender owner now for nearly a month.

Managed to pick up a 2002 110 hard top from the North at a pretty good price. 52000 miles on it and drives really well - chassis excellent but the body is a bit dented. For me it's good where it matters.

Must say, it really is something else to drive. It's loud like a Boeing but still one of the most relaxed drives ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Congrats dude, may you wear it well.

Thanks for that slidey!

• Advertisement

Nice one, post a pic, dents and all!

Piccie as requested.

I think I'll be able to hammer out the dents on the front wing. The scratches are pretty deep so I'm not sure what to do with them yet.

A few scars add character!

By the time you get to the inside of the wing to get at the dent, you may as well put a new one on, you can just replace the outer. If you do go dent knocking, Birmabright work hardens after a while and you'll have to anneal it.

I'm not looking to do a perfect job. Just straighten it a bit, have noticed it's a bit harder than I expected though as I was knocking out another one. Don't want to change the whole panel though, don't want to have to do painting and finding one in the right colour without any dents will be close to impossible. A few good knocks with the pursuador and it'll be grand. Will still need to find a rear door in the right colour - i've a drop down tail gate and prefer a door.

I had one on my wing in the same spot abelt not as bed though. Take off the wheel arch and you will be able to get your hand in push it out or use a a block of wood and a few wee taps...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

What was the damage dantastic?

skelliser wrote: »
    What was the damage dantastic?

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

lol, the damage to his pocket!

hehehe, the damage was £5.5k with a few bits to do. A few dents, it really needed to be cleaned out inside (Not just a bit of a clean - it took 3 full days) and I still need to put in new seats.

At the end of the day I'm well chuffed as she drives nicely and she's very clean underneath. Ex UK utility company truck.

If you're looking then the North is your best bet - the trucks are few and far between down here and they tend to be pretty expensive.

Any recommendations on a competent LR garage to do a hand brake seal recall
    Also very heavy clutch and notchy gear change

• Advertisement

Any recommendations on a competent LR garage to do a hand brake seal recall
    Also very heavy clutch and notchy gear change

where are you located ,
    the heavy clutch and notchy gear change sounds normal

Roscommon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭TM RACING

Defenders must be the worst thing ever made, british engineering at its best. They have been making them for 60 odd years and they are still heaps of c**p. OK, the are gerat off-road but so is a tractor and a tractor is faster snd more dependabel and more economical and nicer to drive. I heard there is talk of Landrover phasing out the current Defender :Dat long last. It just might show defender drivers the light in the form of the IVECO MISSIF;), soon to wipe the floor with the defender, but until it comes on sale in Ireland get some sense and buy a LANDCRUISER.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

TM RACING wrote: »
    Defenders must be the worst thing ever made, british engineering at its best. They have been making them for 60 odd years and they are still heaps of c**p. OK, the are gerat off-road but so is a tractor and a tractor is faster snd more dependabel and more economical and nicer to drive. I heard there is talk of Landrover phasing out the current Defender :Dat long last. It just might show defender drivers the light in the form of the IVECO MISSIF;), soon to wipe the floor with the defender, but until it comes on sale in Ireland get some sense and buy a LANDCRUISER.:D

What experience have you regarding Land Rovers, have you ever owned one.

Your the type of lad that will never understand a land rover. They have been making defenders since the late 80s before than they where 110-90 series 3 109-88 inch and so on ;);).

Oh dear, here we go again, usual pointless unhelpful sniping.

Iveco Massif is/was a Santana PS10 which is heavily based on old Land Rover technology, Santana used to build Land Rovers under licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

elius wrote: »
    Your the type of lad that will never understand a land rover. They have been making defenders since the late 80s before than they where 110-90 series 3 109-88 inch and so on ;);).

Guys like him, should go and do a bit of research into the History of Land Rover products, and be the owner of one before he makes stupid comments. Land Rovers have been copied by many other manufacturers and still the LR comes out tops on cross country. Just take the ESB who have had many different makes and models over the years, and have gone back to buying Defenders as they have proven to the best when off road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Don't feed the troll guys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭TM RACING

You can all say what you want but at the end of the day I can be confident in the fact that I can rely on my landcruiser, even if it has 367,000 miles on the clock ,which is something a landrover owner could never do. Give me one good reason why anyone should buy a landrover over a landcruiser, forgetting off road ability as that is down to the driver and tyres as much as it is to the veichle.

• Advertisement

You can all say what you want but at the end of the day I can be confident in the fact that I can rely on my landcruiser, even if it has 367,000 miles on the clock ,which is something a landrover owner could never do. Give me one good reason why anyone should buy a landrover over a landcruiser, forgetting off road ability as that is down to the driver and tyres as much as it is to the veichle.

its really all about personal choice we could go on all day saying my toy is better than yours , a landrover is good for what its for and a landcruiser is good for what its for

both 4x4's are really good in their own way
    i really like landcruisers as i am a hardcore toyota fan but i bought a defender because it suited me better for what i do

Advertisement