Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail Best Station Awards 2013

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I just voted for my favourite station, Broombridge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Few days notice? who told you that one Foggy?
    health and safety rubbish? Whats rubbish about health and safety?
    They look for as much notice as possible, the figure quoted to some people I know who contacted Irish Rail was 48 hours, but on asking at the station they were given the station number and asked to ring on the evening before they wanted to travel or a few hours before their train time and all arrangements would be made for them.

Health & Safety is very important but where it prevents use of facilities such as pedestrian railway crossings and barrow crossings which are in sight of a manned station is ridiculous!

So the disabled access is less of an issue than the upkeep of the station then?
    :confused:
    less of an issue to me as I am not confined to a wheelchair, I voted for myself not for wheelchair users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭sligotrain

sitstill wrote: »

Yes, hilarious. Now why not do something positive about it and write to your TD and Varadkar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

sitstill wrote: »

I've voted for Broombridge 7,000 times! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

foggy_lad wrote: »
    They look for as much notice as possible, the figure quoted to some people I know who contacted Irish Rail was 48 hours, but on asking at the station they were given the station number and asked to ring on the evening before they wanted to travel or a few hours before their train time and all arrangements would be made for them.

Health & Safety is very important but where it prevents use of facilities such as pedestrian railway crossings and barrow crossings which are in sight of a manned station is ridiculous!

You would be back on here like a shot if you was pushing a wheelchair across the tracks and a train ploughed it out of your hands and left you there with just the handles in your hand .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So the disabled access is less of an issue than the upkeep of the station then?
    :confused:

if you're not disabled then presumably it would be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

So let me get this straight.

Foggy comes on here complaining wheelchair access in Carlow (on numerous occasions) , he doesn't bother to actually make an official complaint to IE or do anything other than whinge about it here and then he turns around and votes for Carlow as his favourite station because stuff like wheelchair access doesn't actually matter to him anyway.

This would be considered trolling in any properly moderated forum.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Voted for Broombridge, it's a disgrace of a station, but it's my local one at home. The stares you get in Connolly when you're trying to pay for a ticket from there are ridiculous though.

The only reason it's in such a state is IE neglect. The level of anti-social behaviour in the area has gone down, and it now centres around the station, because the station is so neglected.

you need to look closer to home as to why that station is the way it is instead of blaming irish rail. stares? That sounds like a touch of paranoia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭sligotrain

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Voted for Broombridge, it's a disgrace of a station, but it's my local one at home. The stares you get in Connolly when you're trying to pay for a ticket from there are ridiculous though.

The only reason it's in such a state is IE neglect. The level of anti-social behaviour in the area has gone down, and it now centres around the station, because the station is so neglected.

Voting for Broombridge as your "favourite" station is just sarcastic bull**** and IE know that. It doesn't matter how many people vote for Broombridge it simply wont get the best station title as it's patently obvious people are taking the piss.

The anti-social behaviour is nothing to do with IE and EVERYTHING to do with scumbags. These people need to feel the full force of the law. Perhaps the Gardai need to deal with it?

Foggy comes on here complaining wheelchair access in Carlow (on numerous occasions) , he doesn't bother to actually make an official complaint to IE or do anything other than whinge about it here and then he turns around and votes for Carlow as his favourite station because stuff like wheelchair access doesn't actually matter to him anyway.

I have complained about it and was told it was being dealt with and since then the wheelchair access has remained locked to both wheelchair and able-bodied users! The reason given by IR and their sympathisers is that having the door open will promote anti-social behaviour but this will only happen if the staff are not out around the station or keeping an eye on things from the cctv in the office. The toilets are accessible to able-bodied people who are able to enter through the booking office door and there is no anti-social behaviour. if staff do their job there should be no issue keeping the wheelchair accessible door open to the public!

at least the flowers are nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭The Idyl Race

sligotrain wrote: »
    Voting for Broombridge as your "favourite" station is just sarcastic bull**** and IE know that. It doesn't matter how many people vote for Broombridge it simply wont get the best station title as it's patently obvious people are taking the piss.

The anti-social behaviour is nothing to do with IE and EVERYTHING to do with scumbags. These people need to feel the full force of the law. Perhaps the Gardai need to deal with it?

There's no perhaps about it, the Gardai need to come down hard on it. What exactly can Irish Rail do about the skanging of Broombridge without the Guards and the legal system getting involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

There's no perhaps about it, the Gardai need to come down hard on it. What exactly can Irish Rail do about the skanging of Broombridge without the Guards and the legal system getting involved?

limit access, fence it off properly from the wasteland and with ticket barriers you shouldn't get the louts in the station any more. hand CCTV of any incident immediately to AGS and badger them to do their job and deal with it each and every time. Have the station manned while open, that alone should make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I know there has been a lot of debate about Broombridge, so I'd like to offer the forum the following info.

Irish Rail appear to be in breach of EC Regulation 1371-2007 in relation to this station. Despite some exemptions, they are bound by the following.

Make it easy for rail passengers to buy tickets (Article 9 )

Ensure passengers’ personal security in railway stations and on trains (Article 26)

In the event of boarding at Broombridge without a ticket because you can't buy one and being subsequently fined at your destination, you appeal to Irish Rail. If they do not accept your appeal, you can then appeal it to the National Transport Authority.

As for the second point, it is the responsibility of Irish Rail to look after security at Broombridge. Once again you can make an official complaint to the NTA if Irish Rail do not cooperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I know there has been a lot of debate about Broombridge, so I'd like to offer the forum the following info.

Irish Rail appear to be in breach of EC Regulation 1371-2007 in relation to this station. Despite some exemptions, they are bound by the following.

Make it easy for rail passengers to buy tickets (Article 9 )

Ensure passengers’ personal security in railway stations and on trains (Article 26)

In the event of boarding at Broombridge without a ticket because you can't buy one and being subsequently fined at your destination, you appeal to Irish Rail. If they do not accept your appeal, you can then appeal it to the National Transport Authority.

As for the second point, it is the responsibility of Irish Rail to look after security at Broombridge. Once again you can make an official complaint to the NTA if Irish Rail do not cooperate.

1) In spite of numerous efforts by Irish Rail to run this station akin to any other station on the line, it's ended due to vandalism. Kiosks have been burned several times, staff have been assaulted and threatened while the stories of bonfires and Beavis and Butthead type arson are legendary. Even the tiles on the platform have been nicked, it's that abused by locals. Other stations have little or no such problem so it's clearly a local one.

2) You aren't fined for having no tickets on board any train or bus unless it goes to court; you are issued with a fixed penalty fare. Don't pat this and it becomes a criminal matter via the courts; the NRA have nothing to do with this.

3) To staff the station to make safe you will need whole teams of Gardai, Irish Rail staff or STT guys. For the low numbers on the line at night and the costs, the question becomes if it is worth it or not. Attempts have been made to close the station off peak but community leaders and politicals rear up about the lose of a vital local amenity; I don't know if they mean it as a railway station or a playground for Cabra's vermin.

1) In spite of numerous efforts by Irish Rail to run this station akin to any other station on the line, it's ended due to vandalism. Kiosks have been burned several times, staff have been assaulted and threatened while the stories of bonfires and Beavis and Butthead type arson are legendary. Even the tiles on the platform have been nicked, it's that abused by locals. Other stations have little or no such problem so it's clearly a local one.

2) You aren't fined for having no tickets on board any train or bus unless it goes to court; you are issued with a fixed penalty fare. Don't pat this and it becomes a criminal matter via the courts; the NRA have nothing to do with this.

3) To staff the station to make safe you will need whole teams of Gardai, Irish Rail staff or STT guys. For the low numbers on the line at night and the costs, the question becomes if it is worth it or not. Attempts have been made to close the station off peak but community leaders and politicals rear up about the lose of a vital local amenity; I don't know if they mean it as a railway station or a playground for Cabra's vermin.

I think you are mistaken.

I accept that Irish rail issue a fixed penalty fare. Penalty? Fine? Bottom line is its way above the standard fare and unreasonable if you have genuinely been prevented from buying a ticket.(such can be the case with Broombridge) But you are entitled to argue your case with them. If they refuse to retract it, you are entitled to argue your case with the NTA.

A number of passenger rights are enshrined by the EC regulation and I listed two of them above. If you feel that you have been denied these rights by Irish Rail, you are entitled to make a complaint to the NTA.

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/public-transport-services/passenger-rights/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

And who checks that this actually happens and isn't just more PR BS? I know, I've been there and got the video and the T-shirt. :D

And this thread in AH - you couldn't make it up. :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82571996&postcount=1

Facebook competitions, Kit Kat bars with GPS, polls to decide on the Best Station....did someone mention the National Lottery. :D

I think you are mistaken.

I accept that Irish rail issue a fixed penalty fare. Penalty? Fine? Bottom line is its way above the standard fare and unreasonable if you have genuinely been prevented from buying a ticket.(such can be the case with Broombridge) But you are entitled to argue your case with them. If they refuse to retract it, you are entitled to argue your case with the NTA.

A number of passenger rights are enshrined by the EC regulation and I listed two of them above. If you feel that you have been denied these rights by Irish Rail, you are entitled to make a complaint to the NTA.

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/public-transport-services/passenger-rights/

It's not quite as cut and dry as you put it. Your primary port of call is to the transport operator for any complaint. If they don't satisfy you then you may complain to the NTA but you still need reasonably grounds under which to complain. With that in mind, you are talking rubbish if you think that every passenger using Broombridge are subjected to a fixed penalty fare.

• Advertisement

It's not quite as cut and dry as you put it. Your primary port of call is to the transport operator for any complaint. If they don't satisfy you then you may complain to the NTA but you still need reasonably grounds under which to complain. With that in mind, you are talking rubbish if you think that every passenger using Broombridge are subjected to a fixed penalty fare.

Any chance you could reply without being so rude?

1. I outlined very clearly that if you do not receive satisfaction from Irish Rail you take it to the NTA. Originally you said the NTA have nothing to do with it, but you now seem to realise they do.

2. I did not even suggest that every passenger using Broombridge was subject to a fixed penalty fare, so quite frankly there is no need to make insulting remarks about me talking rubbish. I offered the information as a guideline, because there have been threads here before about people boarding at Broombridge, unable to buy a ticket and receiving a fixed penalty fare at their desdtination.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Lots of people claim to get on in Broombridge to claim a lower fare, however Irish Rail routinely set up a sting operation by issuing people boarding a temporary ticket so those without clearly got on elsewhere

Those pulling the scam gave no idea that this is happening and will try to claim they got stung

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

[B/]Please tone down the posts calling what others are says is "talking rubbish".[/b]

If you have a problem with moderated please do not go off-topic in a thread to discuss it -- report a post or PM one of the mods and if you're still not happy use help desk board.

Do not reply to this post.

Any chance you could reply without being so rude?

1. I outlined very clearly that if you do not receive satisfaction from Irish Rail you take it to the NTA. Originally you said the NTA have nothing to do with it, but you now seem to realise they do.

2. I did not even suggest that every passenger using Broombridge was subject to a fixed penalty fare, so quite frankly there is no need to make insulting remarks about me talking rubbish. I offered the information as a guideline, because there have been threads here before about people boarding at Broombridge, unable to buy a ticket and receiving a fixed penalty fare at their desdtination.

On service levels, safety, infrastructure, rolling stock etc yes but not penalty fares. In any case, your first point of call is to the operator in question :)

maybe it would be an idea for broombridge and the likes to get their own thread as a sticky and maybe one for foggy and his rants. It may leave the threads free to discuss the relevant thread topic without it turning into a infraction fest.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The discussion around Broombridge and voting for it is on topic -- so are problems at other stations.

Issues around safety or access are best reported to IR and/or the relevent agency. But users should also feel free to post about such issues here.

If anybody has a problem with a post please report it stating why it is breaking the rules outlined in the charter or elsewhere on boards.ie - thanks.

Advertisement