Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oscars 2015

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Rules of the Academy state that for animated films to be considered for nomination, they must contain at least 75% animation. It seems the last 20 minutes of the film appear to have disqualified it for this reason.

Does that rule the new SpongeBob film out for next year then?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I don't think that's right at all.

Nowhere have I seen it suggested that the film was ineligible.

There is live action in the film but it's not twenty minutes of live action at all. Even if it was 20 minutes of live action - that's still only 20% of the film.

I haven't done the maths, so don't know what percentage of the film was live action, but that rule is set out clearly by the Academy:

http://www.oscars.org/sites/default/files/87aa_rules.pdf

Does that rule the new SpongeBob film out for next year then?

I have no idea, as I haven't heard much about that film (I will next year, no doubt, as my little ankle snapper loves Spongebob). Will there be live action in that also? As I recall, in the first film, there was a few live action bits thrown in here and there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Yeah, you're wrong. From that very Wikipedia link...

IMDB also lists it as a 2013 film.
    It's done on US release dates, hence why so many Oscar movies have these limited releases in major US cities at the tail end of the year before a more general release. The Hunt being nominated for best foreign feature last year despite it coming out in loads of places in 2012 is one example that immediately springs to mind.

I have no idea, as I haven't heard much about that film (I will next year, no doubt, as my little ankle snapper loves Spongebob). Will there be live action in that also? As I recall, in the first film, there was a few live action bits thrown in here and there.

Someone from "our world" steals a book from Bikini Bottom and so they all come up to "our world" to get it back. Everything is live action except the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Someone from "our world" steals a book from Bikini Bottom and so they all come up to "our world" to get it back. Everything is live action except the characters.

Aah, in that case, yes I'd say it would be ineligible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I haven't done the maths, so don't know what percentage of the film was live action, but that rule is set out clearly by the Academy:

http://www.oscars.org/sites/default/files/87aa_rules.pdf

Oh no, I'm not doubting the rule.

When I said, "that's not right" I meant that the rule applied to the Lego Movie. It wasn't as far as I know inelgibile at all - it merely didn't get a nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Play a real person requiring you to drastically alter your appearance and you're a shoe in for a nom.

Most of the nominations this year are for Oscar bait movies and the Weinstein brothers seem to be heavily involved as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Lucas Castroman

No Gyllenhaal, no party.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I have a funny feeling the academy could go political this year and give Best Picture to Selma. It's my no means the best picture - its an adequate telling of a small segment of the Civil Rights movement and all but libels LBJ. In reality he blackmailed, rammed and cajoled (as only he could) civil rights legislation though a reluctant congress.
    However with events in the US over the last year, voters might think they're making a point.
    Go see it on a big screen when it gets a release here - its probably the only one of the Best Picture nominees that needs a cinema viewing for the personalities to come across to new generations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

The Lego Movie not getting a nomination in the Animated category is mind boggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

The snubs for nightcrawler, gone girl and even Interstellar are astonishing. Most bizarre set of nominations I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

Interstellar in particular. But I think that's because last year was the year of Gravity. Gylenhaal not getting the nod for best Actor is astonishing tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

Paramount must be gutted their campaign to get Transformers: Age of Extinction Oscar nominations for Best Picture and Best director didn't pay off.

It is, however, leading the Razzie nominations. So there is that.

Slightly puzzled that Birdman isn't nominated in the editing category.

The one redeeming feature about the Oscars is that IMO Uwe Boll has a greater chance of winning best director than Michael Bay getting nominated.

Btw whats the chance that they might give the Best Picture to Selma to quell the controversy over it's exclusion in other categories

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    The Lego Movie not getting a nomination in the Animated category is mind boggling.

Allegedly disqualified for overuse of live action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Of the Best Pic noms I've only seen Whiplash, Birdman, and American Sniper so far. I love all three, brilliant films really...but Bradley Cooper's performance as Chris Kyle has blown me away. I've never been a big fan of his really, I mean yeah of course he's been good in the work he does, but nothing really had the *wow* factor for me until now. Here I forgot it was him at all-he simply IS Chris Kyle in this movie. I loved it and I hope he wins. I do have a few more to catch up on tho so reserve the right to change my mind at a later date, but feel the Academy was bang on to nominate him for Best Actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

For once George Lucas is spot on

Director George Lucas has hit out at the Academy Awards calling the event a "political campaign" which does not recognise real artistic talent.

Lucas made his comments after Selma star David Oyelowo and director Ava DuVernay did not receive any Oscar nominations.

Academy officials were heavily criticised for the lack of diversity in their top picks for the acting awards, but Lucas insists the snub came as no surprise to him.

Speaking on US news show CBS This Morning Lucas said: "There's always controversy. That's why I'm not a member.

"Everybody has their personal opinions about what they think (the nominations) should be.
    "The thing about the Academy, it's a political campaign, it has nothing to do with artistic endeavour at all. So it's a political campaign. It's like - why do we have a tendency to elect people who drift toward not the most talented, best and brightest we have in the country? It's all political."

George Lucas is married to a Black woman. Perhaps he is slightly biased......

Amazingfun wrote: »

Or maybe he has eyes and ears and can see what most others can see. Money talks more than anything in Hollywood. Films with massive campaigns behind them tend to win the awards. Whether it's race/sex issue or not you can debate if you want but I don't think there's any doubt that the Oscars are not representative of quality.

Soo....

Oscars= Good when the film you like or represents the "issue of the day" in the vein you approve of is nominated.
    Oscars= sh1te when they aren't.

Got it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

What the hell does that mean?

• Advertisement

What the hell does that mean?

Are you really that dense? It means he is possibly biased in claiming that a movie featuring Blacks-only (for the most part) could only be left off the best actor/actress nomination list due to some conspiracy rather than them just not being that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Are you really that dense? It means he is possibly biased in claiming that a movie featuring Blacks-only (for the most part) could only be left off the best actor/actress nomination list due to some conspiracy rather than them just not being that good.
    Again, why the hell would you imply that? So, white people who marry black people are always biased? But it would be totally okay with you if a white director married to a white woman complained about the same thing?

And I'm the dense one? "Hey white people in mixed relationships, you can't complain about racial issues, because you're biased assholes."

If anything being married to a Black woman would make him more aware of and better educated on these issues.

Again, why the hell would you imply that? So, white people who marry black people are always biased? But it would be totally okay with you if a white director married to a white woman complained about the same thing?

And I'm the dense one? "Hey white people in mixed relationships, you can't complain about racial issues, because you're biased assholes."

See your hysterical response? First I didn't say " white people who marry black people are always biased". Nor anything else you imply here. He is claiming there is some kind of conspiracy here and I am pointing out his own situation through which he maybe viewing this.

If anything being married to a Black woman would make him more aware of and better educated on these issues.

:pac: what "issue" might that be? His picks for Oscar nominations not making it so therefore we have an "issue"???

:pac: what "issue" might that be? His picks for Oscar nominations not making it so therefore we have an "issue"???

The issue of race relations in America.

The issue of race relations in America.

:rolleyes: yeah- because if his fav pet picks for the Oscar's don't make it in the running then the "issue" of race relations in America must be invoked.

:rolleyes: yeah- because if his fav pet picks for the Oscar's don't make it in the running then the "issue" of race relations in America must be invoked.

Sure, because Selma not getting Oscar nominations is the only thing happening at the moment to make me think there's a race relations issue in America.

Leaving aside the actual real life news how about the fact that Selma is the only film being criticised for maybe being factually inaccurate when most of the other best film nominees are questionable at best in their historical accuracy. Explain that.

Sure, because Selma not getting Oscar nominations is the only thing happening at the moment to make me think there's a race relations issue in America.

Leaving aside the actual real life news how about the fact that Selma is the only film being criticised for maybe being factually inaccurate when most of the other best film nominees are questionable at best in their historical accuracy. Explain that.

Explain your vague and frankly bizarre take on things as outlined above?

I'm afraid you'll have to back up and link to all you claim if you want an actual response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Grand Budapest gets my vote was actually shocked that it was very good.

Advertisement