Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminator Genisys

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Nobody is disputing that.

But two computer generating Terminators or two Arnies fighting sounds terrible. That up there (or down there) with two transformers fighting.
    I was replying to him:
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    I always thought the best fights were between the humans and the Terminator and not the Terminator and another Terminator.

Actually the fight scenes between Terminators are usually boring.
    Yes the CGI fight will be a disaster, on a par with trying to get away with a CGI fight in a Rocky sequel or something like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Two CGIs fighting.

There is nothing I hate more in a film.

Unless it's Ben Richards vs Captain Freedom in The Running Man of course! :)

But everything I hear about this new Terminator film just makes it sounds awful! No chance will it match the T800 vs T1000 fights in T2 either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thargor wrote: »
    I was replying to him:

Yes the CGI fight will be a disaster, on a par with trying to get away with a CGI fight in a Rocky sequel or something like that...

I'd actually echo what I think are CatFromHue's sentiments; while yes the T-1000 / T-800 smackdown was brilliantly staged, violent and impactful in a way that I guarantee this reshoot won't be, imo the more thrilling or nerve-wrecking fights involved the humans going up against the robots. It's David v. Goliath 101 for sure, but I think the action resonates more if you get a sense of the desperate odds and disparity between the two fighters, where all you can do is run - or stall for time. Perhaps that's when the Terminator films truly work best: when they work within the format of being glorified chase movies, with a near-unstoppable, inevitable force constantly behind the protagonists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Thargor wrote: »

Shhhh... Don't say that too loudly. You'll give them ideas.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's David v. Goliath 101 for sure, but I think the action resonates more if you get a sense of the desperate odds and disparity between the two fighters

We had that with T-800 vs T-1000 in the refinery too though. The T-800 did the best he could do, put up a good fight, and was crushed – literally. A deus ex machina was basically the only thing to bring him back. That was bloody exciting stuff.

Whereas two CGI T-800's... the "anonymous production source" actually goes so far as to call it a "wrestling fight" themselves, and I'm going to go ahead and assume that's more WWE than olympic sport – so, pre-determined, inauthentic, laboured, showboating, fan-service nonsense.

I'll be amazed if we see a good Terminator "reboot", or anything else in the franchise, until the filmmakers realise the story is worth more than a cheesy old 80s action hero spitting out tired one-liners.

• Advertisement

Whats the betting they'll just be throwing each other at walls doing no damage aswell? That really pissed me off watching Terminator Salvation along with a million other things, how many times did a Terminator get its hands on John Connor only to throw him away again instead of just crushing his skull?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I'm guessing reactions to the trailer must have stirred them a bit about how this will be received on release.

Do film companies seek feedback from trailers? Is it not too late at that stage?

I wonder are they even aware of the negative response.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

py2006 wrote: »
    Do film companies seek feedback from trailers? Is it not too late at that stage?

I would be inclined to agree with this.

It would want to be an extremely negative reaction to a trailer, but even then I would think it would be too late to change it.

Don't they have test audiences for that type of feedback much earlier in the process.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Depending on the amount of content, the film can be edited to make a fair difference AFAIK. Music and other effects can be altered. Here though, the foundation and the majority of the trailer are what people are irritated with. This is a remake noone asked for with nothing new brought to the table. There's too much to change so I'd say they'll just release it to cut their losses.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

It will probably do well regardless. I think we are all just wishing for too much to have another T1 or T2. They were once off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I want this movie to be absolutely epic, so I will hold off on any pre judgements until I have seen it. Only thing I will say is that they could really do with dropping the old one liners such as "ill be back" & "come with me if you want to live". Completely unnecessary and a bit cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

mzungu wrote: »
    Only thing I will say is that they could really do with dropping the old one liners such as "ill be back" & "come with me if you want to live". Completely unnecessary and a bit cringeworthy.

You'd better give up on that idea now and learn to accept this movie for what it will be. They even had one of those one-liners in the trailer! This movie is all about paying homage to the original, much loved movies, with an extra layer of CGI action, hot people and PG 'violence' to get the young people in the cinema.

Arnies posted a pretty cool looking new profile pic on bookface

....and new trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Armies posted a pretty cool looking new profile pic on bookface

....and new trailer

Nothing new in that trailer to get excited about. Question though, why the fcuk did they give the T-1000 (while morphing from liquid state to human) bone structure, muscles, tendons, etc? It's completely unnecessary for the T-1000 to replicate the inner workings of a human. I guess it looked cooler or something?

https://www.facebook.com/TerminatorGenisys.UK?brand_redir=1

I really hope granddad T800 doesn't just kill the original with a shotgun like these trailers imply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

John (The Studio) keeps sending Terminators back....he's lost his mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,549 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The new Superbowl trailer is laughably bad .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DenMan

Seriously looking forward to this movie! It's going to be brilliant! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭lazza14

DenMan wrote: »
    Seriously looking forward to this movie! It's going to be brilliant! :D

picard-facepalm.jpg

• Advertisement

Hollywood will never allow an unsanitized vision of a post apocalyptic future global war with non-model humans in tatters hiding in ruins using dogs to sniff out Terminators focusing on moral dilemmas, nuclear winter, horror survival and how and why the human resistance and John Connor was so effective against an overwhelming that Skynet took the drastic step of inventing time bloody travel sending someone back in fcukin time to prevent its destruction.

The universe could do with some Threads terror(as much as they could get away with) to be fair Salvation and its failed trilogy seemed like going to treat time travel as a necessary evil only. The series can't do any of the above now, what originally made it so captivating..... because of its success. They need to be stories first and action films as an after thought
    I remember watching this fan made trailer years ago and getting hyped and imagining the possibilities, Salvation was flat story wise but it was good thematically but it had a dull Mad Max like world, yet I'd kill to see the sequel to it, and not this seeming turd we're going to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

ps3lover wrote: »

Is that legit? That site have credibility? Because that sounds awful.

Goodshape wrote: »
    Is that legit? That site have credibility? Because that sounds awful.

I read on some other site a month ago, the ending that it describes in the last paragraph is indeed so bad it'll make you sit back and pause, before walking away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Who is this movie for? Terminator fans are going to hate what it's become and the younger market will think it's not for them, it's this crazy old franchise that doesn't look as appealing as other dumb movies eg Transformers.

I'd be shocked if this is close to the standard of the last one, not saying much, is it?

ps3lover wrote: »

It sounds so much worse than it looks from the trailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Adamantium wrote: »
    I read on some other site a month ago, the ending that it describes in the last paragraph is indeed so bad it'll make you sit back and pause, before walking away.

Is it
    the twist that John Connor is the Terminator hybrid? From the early released pictures there's ones where Arnie, Kyle Reese and Sarah are talking to John Connor who's in a suit. In the trailer it quickly shows Arnie charging him through the wall in the encounter. So the alloy Terminator rising from the flames showing it's muscles and tendons in the Super Bowl advert could probably him.

Ok, the film could not possibly sound any worse, then I read that ^.

What have they against the Terminator franchise that they have been destroying it since T2.

I must watch T2 again, must dig out that Ultimate Edition DVD somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭lazza14

In my mind the Terminator "franchise" is 2 movies .

end of.

This won't destroy it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭j.s. pill II

lazza14 wrote: »
    In my mind the Terminator "franchise" is 2 movies .

end of.

Damn right - just pretend the other ones don't exist

Maybe one day James Cameron will seek to destroy all copies of, all references to and any historical records of the other films; just like George Lucas tried to do with the Star Wars Christmas special.

• Advertisement

lazza14 wrote: »
    In my mind the Terminator "franchise" is 2 movies
    end of.

Agreed. Nearly sure Cameron said in an interview that as far as he is concerned T2 was a definite end in his opinion.

Advertisement