Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tokyo Jungle - PS3

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well my first play through ended with me falling through the level after attacking a dog and dying. Despite the bug I'm loving it.

It's a bit like a Rogue game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Kinda of confused by survival mode.
    Achieve goals, unlock new animal. Die then play as new animal from start. Repeat.

What are the benefits for achieving a longer time/completing more goals in each animal class?

Other than that, the game is bonkers. My Mrs looked at me in disgust when I explained I wasn't mating with a Pomeranian as she was "desperate," and I thought the other available female on the map could be classier.
    Bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

A-Trak wrote: »
    What are the benefits for achieving a longer time/completing more goals in each animal class?

The bigger animals being unlocked means you can last longer, and the longer you last the more dangerous and difficult it gets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Every time i kill an animal apart of me dies inside

But cant stop coming back to it

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Not sure if everybody knows this yet, but the stat increases you get for generation changes are persistent across multiple games - can be view at the animal select screen, the red parts of the stat-star thing are the increased stats.

(edit - as far as I know :pac: )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A-Trak wrote: »
    Kinda of confused by survival mode.
    Achieve goals, unlock new animal. Die then play as new animal from start. Repeat.

Simply, it's a high score challenge. No more than you'd spend hours aiming for more points in a Tony Hawks game or arcade shooter, there's always the potential to do better. Granted, games taking multiple hours to complete as opposed to two or three minutes is a different sort of high score challenge, but I think it achieves its goals in making you come back and get better.

Tonight's game will be with the pig. Have also unlocked the chicks, but imagine that one's going to be hard as nails.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I see it more like a form of Rogue-like game. Other than the items you pick up not being a mystery until you use them its very like one. The enemies and other stuff that populates the world is randomly generated and you just keep playing until you die. It's loads of fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Looking forward to it.. Downloaded it Friday so might have a go tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

How accurate a rendition of Tokyo is it does anyone know? I'm gathering there are certain real world landmarks in there but would you recognise the various areas of the city?

Well if the Yamanote line is filled with derelict subway trains and toxic gas, the park is full of lions with a cave system filled with velocoraptors and the sewers are filled with alligators then it's a very accurate portrayal of Tokyo all right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I wouldn't hope for accurate representations - you can recognise the general areas, but it's certainly not a geographically accurate portrayal. Haven't spotted many major landmarks anyway. The Yamanote line (which is the main commuter train around Tokyo) is only a few screens long, for example. The zoo is there, naturally ;)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well if the Yamanote line is filled with derelict subway trains and toxic gas, the park is full of lions with a cave system filled with velocoraptors and the sewers are filled with alligators then it's a very accurate portrayal of Tokyo all right.

What... velociraptors!?

Now I want to leave work and play it!

just lasted 66 years with a pig only to make a stupid move and ended up being cornered by tigers alligators and lions

manage to escape but my brothers and sisters got FCUKED

velocoraptor got me in the end though

:(

Just noticed my neighbours have a Pomeranian :eek: Will never hear that nocturnal barking the same way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Smarty pants.
    I wouldn't hope for accurate representations - you can recognise the general areas, but it's certainly not a geographically accurate portrayal. Haven't spotted many major landmarks anyway. The Yamanote line (which is the main commuter train around Tokyo) is only a few screens long, for example. The zoo is there, naturally ;)
    Hmm, would've been more drawn to it if the environment was more accurate. Just really like Tokyo :D

penev10 wrote: »
    Hmm, would've been more drawn to it if the environment was more accurate. Just really like Tokyo :D

There are Matsuya gyodon restaurants and Jumbo karaoke bars scattered around the background of the sandbox, which are probably more quintessentially Tokyo than any scramble crossings (which is the major landmark actually in the game)

Agh got to year 95 as one of the gazelle creatures! Crushing. Only five years off the century, but the last few decades of that were spent running away from raptors. Eventually got caught by some uber-dino, and alas 13 generation's worth of stats didn't help :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

must admit just reading all of ye're posts about the game are entertaining by themselves. wish I was in a position to get and enjoy this game, if it was on the Vita, I'd buy console and game asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Any one else finding it to complete the challenges

Haven't really played much of this but I really want to get past the more average animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Got the game yesterday, yet to play it. I got the add on pack of animals while I was at it. Is that worth getting?
    just lasted 66 years with a pig only to make a stupid move and ended up being cornered by tigers alligators and lions

manage to escape but my brothers and sisters got FCUKED

velocoraptor got me in the end though

:(
    Congratulations, this one post made me buy the game!

Cienciano wrote: »
    Got the game yesterday, yet to play it. I got the add on pack of animals while I was at it. Is that worth getting?

Congratulations, this one post made me buy the game!

You made a wise purchase , glad to have helped :D

Just installed the update for Tokyo Jungle. Nice that it tells you what it for.

Cross play with Vita! I was even thinking the other day that this is a perfect game for vita.

I'm getting one for christmas, will I have to buy the game again for vita? That'll be a bit disappointing if I do.

tok9 wrote: »
    Just installed the update for Tokyo Jungle. Nice that it tells you what it for.

Cross play with Vita! I was even thinking the other day that this is a perfect game for vita.

I'm getting one for christmas, will I have to buy the game again for vita? That'll be a bit disappointing if I do.

Hmmm, after reading up on it, it's just remote play. Pity, as it really is perfect for it.

Seriously should add buttons to move the camera slightly left or right too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

This game is very strange indeed. Picked it up this evening died almost immediately fighting a beagle as the dog and then got to 45 years as the deer... got cornered in a park by Tigers, absolutely sh*t myself when I seen them. Seems like a time sink but I enjoyed what I played so far :)

Downloading Journey now... Santa is some hero giving me those PSN cards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Played the heck out of this the last two nights. Multiplayer is great fun :D Friend and I had Beagle and Golden retriever combo. Lasted till year 69 (I died around 60) we took down everything from chimps to panthers but it was all over when my friend got cornered by two raptors O_o epic stuff

Seeing a Beagle in a baseball cap take down a polar bear was worth the price of the game alone.

Advertisement