Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what would you do?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

You're playing games and feeding off fantasies.

Sort it out with your husband first before you start anything new with anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Lily, I'm not sure what new advice anyone here can give you. Last time round, the general gist of what people advised you to do was to (1) Sort your marriage (2) Stay away from this guy and (3) Get yourself counselling for obvious self-esteem issues.

2 months down the the line and I'm not sure what exactly has changed. You're still writing prose that's akin to an overwrought Mills & Boon boddice-ripper. You've chosen not to do anything about the bad marriage you're in. You've also chosen to keep this other guy in the loop despite what you were advised. I'm not sure what it is you're looking for? You are an adult who is responsible for her own actions..

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lily44

I'm absolutely mad about this other guy. I know it wasn't right to kiss him. Even though I enjoyed it so much. I don't want to play any games with him. I'm probably giving him hard times. But I'm feeling terrible myself.

We've been trying to sort out our marrige. Went to counselling together. The result was: we're on a different page and it didn't go anywhere.

I'll try to stay away from the guy or at least to talk to him to see is there any future for us...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

The three of you seem really messed and not very nice people.

Your husband is awful. He has no concept of how his actions hurt or affect others. He does what he wishes selfishly I don't understand what on earth you can see in him.

This other man consistently told you that he did not wish to get involved with a married women. Yet you effectively stalked him. And you go into bizarrely vivid details of a sexual encounter. It seems sordid and you reflect this with your feelings of guilt.

Why are you doing this to yourself?

Your marriage it seems to me is over. I would not tell you what to do but the husband is living like a single man and seem set to do so.

I really can't advise you to stay with your husband. But you must realize that this had nothing to do with this other man.

I understand why you have constructed this fantasy. You have married a man that had you known the truth about before you would never have gotten involved with. I know his type. They are all fake charm and soapy smiles. Then when your image is shattered this man who appears to be the complete opposite ie the quiet kind guy comes along you feel for him as if he was the one you were looking for all along.

But the truth is you have to sort out your life. When we say sort out your marriage we don't mean necessarily stay with him but leave him.

You should never have gotten involved with your husband. But obviously your judgement is not great. Affairs NEVER work. Being unfaithful destroys people. So don't go there.

From what you say the other quiet guy isn't even into you at all. Which worries me more. Perhaps he is not as nice as you think?

If a guy wants to be with you he would say. I don't think he does. I think you are basing a lot on fantasy.

End the marriage it's a mess. Stay away from this guy you are obviously unhealthily stuck or obsessed and he is not into you. There is a mental condition where people think someone likes or even loves them when they don't at all. And you are vulnerable.
    You're still writing prose that's akin to an overwrought Mills & Boon boddice-ripper.

This ..when I read the account of the sexual encounter that you wrote I was actually disturbed by the way you wrote it. It just seemed like such a weirdly TMI account. It just seemed icky or something. And you seem over the moon and I don't get why. I can't connect the emotions you are feeling to any real life fact. I can't see why you feel the way you do. Nor why you would think this man or your husband love you. Neither of these men really love you. And you don't really love either of them. If the husband loved you he would not cheat , if you loved him then you would not cheat. If this guy loved you he would behave differently and be straight about his feelings. And if you loved him you would leave your husband. None of you are feeling anything remotely close to love. I can't really see how we can advice. I can't see how you could be comfortable in your situation. I could never be unfaithful but then I would never have married a man like your husband either.

I think you need to tune your feelings into reality.

• Administrators Posts: 13,769 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Whether you like it or not you are married. So before getting into anything else you need to sort that out. It's not a happy marriage, that much is obvious. You have tried counselling and it's clear it's not going to work. So your only option is to end your marriage. Or stay in a miserable marriage.... (Edit: Or discuss the option of an open marriage?)

If you stay, you have to accept that for the rest of your life you will be unhappy. And you will spend it fantasizing about other men who want you so bad, but who can't have you because you are married.

If you leave, yes, you will be a single mother. You may struggle financially. But your husband would still have to support you. He would have to pay maintenance. But you would be free to have a nice relationship with someone who likes you.

Although, I don't think it's this fella. Very strange that the first thing he said was "are we going to have sex?" Doesn't sound much like he is in love with you. More like he thinks he can have sex with you. You are not in a film. You are not in a romantic novel. You are living a real life. And by carrying on as you are you at affecting the lives of a lot of people around you. Your children are growing up in an unhappy home. You are planning some big romantic scenario with a fella who sounds like he's just looking for a quickie. You are terribly unhappy. Your husband doesn't sound all that happy either.

So.... Sort out your marriage, one way or the other. And then decide what to do after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

lily44 wrote: »
    With regards to my husband...I can't afford to leave him. I depend on him. I have nobody else who would help me with my kids. Not to mention the financial aspect of it. If you have kids, all you want is to see them happy, provide them with the best options available. So I'm quite well aware of the fact that even if I really caught him cheating on me, I would probably didn't have any other option but to keep living with him and pretend that everything is fine. That is again, due to my family background and because I couldn't afford to follow my dreams when I was a kid/teenager and how this is still affecting me.

OP, I know this was wrote two months ago but since you're back... No. Just no. Kids are not oblivious. They're even better than adults at picking up body language. They know fine rightly that their parents don't love each other. Do you really think that you're better off with your husband than without? For the kids? I've seen it from both sides and I've never ever seen a kid who were better off in a house where there were some serious problems between Mammy and Daddy. Most children adapt to being part of a single parent family and it's very doable, or there wouldn't be as many single parents as there is. Marriages/relationships fail all the time.

Also, stop blaming your lack of action on your past. You are fully aware of your past and how it's affecting your life and instead of doing anything about it, you're hiding behind like a shield and using it as an excuse to do nothing. You want a stable life for your kids? Get out of that marriage and take charge of yourself. Stop making excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

You are in an unhappy marriage. Your husband has neglected you and does not validate you.

You are starting to find this other man exciting because he shows interest in you that your husband does not.

You are both playing a game together but this game is only about sex. It's not a love story. Your hot and cold attitude is bringing him highs and lows and his anger and interest is doing the same for you. And you are both getting an ego buzz from this.

You seem to both be seeking acceptance and validation from one another and then you pull it away when you get it. This is what your "relationship" is based on.

If you give in and sleep together then you don't have a "relationship" because it's purely based on this game of lust and frustration.

Do you think this guy wants to whisk you away with your children and help you through a divorce? I think he is interested in you because he can't have you and you are interested in him because you can't have him.

really if you both wanted to be together so much, there are no obstacles. You can get a divorce and leave your husband.

It seems like you are conflicted because you don't want to leave your husband because it's probably too messy. You want a romantic affair but you only want it if the man is in love with you. In your fantasy he cannot just want to sleep with you.

• Administrators Posts: 13,769 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Just to clarify the facts as you have told us. He wasn't going to hug you "because you are married". Unless you were going to end up having sex. So hugging you is out, but sex is ok. Just reread that... Sex even though you're married is fine, hugging is a big no-no though. That's not affection. That's just gratification. Getting what he wants without all the other stuff (affection, intimacy etc) that a relationship entails.

He is not interested in anything with you unless there is something in it for him. And the something is purely sex. Hugging you isn't doing anything for him. You've built up this big romance in your head where you are mad about each other and stolen moments will keep you both going. The reality is, if you are willing he'll have sex with you. If you're not, he has no use for you.

Your relationships are bad. Many people due to their past keep going for the same type of relationship over and over. Relationships that just do them damage. By insisting on making something between you and this fella you are continuing the trend of bad relationships.

He wants sex. Unless you are willing to give it he has no interest.

You don't believe any of that though, do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

He is not interested in anything with you unless there is something in it for him. And the something is purely sex. Hugging you isn't doing anything for him. You've built up this big romance in your head where you are mad about each other and romanticising upwill keep you both going. The reality is, if you are willing he'll have sex with you. If you're not, he has no use for you.

Do you think that perhaps you just want sex from him?

As young women we are all thought of the fairytale were the man falls in love and they live happily ever after. But we do have primitive desires just like men and sometimes it's hard for people to separate the two.

You seem to be giving the guy signals then pulling away. Could this be because you know that if you get with him that it won't ever be anything more than that because you are not willing to give up what you have with your husband even though you say it's not good, your still not willing to loose it.

So in order for you to justify the extra marital attraction, you are creating a kind of romance/love story. You are in conflict as a women because you have always been thought that sex and love go together. You feel it is immoral just like your husbands flirtations to just want sex and attention but if its love then that somehow justifies it to you. It sounds like you both really want to sleep together but you are romanticizing it because if it wasn't love then what difference is there between you and your attention seeking and flirtatious husband.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lily44

You all are right here. Giving me the answers that I kind of knew myself, but my brain decided not to accept them.

Yes, I didn't really think of him as my partner for life because he doesn't like kids. Well, he's not much into kids, even though that's changing for better. And because he never seemed to be interested in me that much. But I always wanted to be around him, spend some time with him, have fun with him, to see how it goes. Yes, romanticizing about him. Since my husband is a liar who can not be trusted I found myself hoping that his hugs and kisses would be much enjoyable simply because I could always trust him. And since he always looked at me so gently, his eyes kept feeding my hopes and dreams. Especially when my husband is always upset with me.

But from the very beginning I kept telling him I wasn't gonna cheat. Neither to brake up with my husband. It's the way I've been brought up, probably hard to explain... But yes, I'm very attracted to this fella and my instincts are telling me it would be my best sex ever. That kiss has just proven me right. Since I was the only one he couldn't deal with and left sb else to deal with my business issues, I believed I was very special to him. But his questions about sex have made me wonder if he is not that much into me and that he might not even fancy me that much, just a casual go and then he would kick my ass.

When it comes to his initial refusal to hug me, that was probably more of a protest as the day before I went to see him I had texted him saying that I wanted to see him and added that it maybe wasn't good idea at all.

And yes, the whole chemistry between us is probably being fed by mutual hot and cold games. He was used to having me around him so when I suddenly decided to stay away from him, I saw him acting the way that made me believe he was desperate to see me and talk to me. Which again, in my mind, made me belive he was mad about me.

Any way. It was about time, after 3 years, to put an end to it. So thanks to your posts here I realised things that I probably had known myself, just didn't want to admit them. Hopefully I'll be strong enough to stay away from him. Because that kiss... oooh dear...can't stop thinking of it...

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Glad you managed to find a solution for your issue OP. With that we can close the thread I think.

Regards,
    Mike

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement