Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

@ Fireball07, here's an alarmingly similar post from just over a year ago.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78629445&postcount=8688

trouttrout wrote: »
    Well you said that Munster only gave gametime to 2 10's and 2 9's for one

pedantic much?

Edit, please don't make this a Leinster v Munster thing (though I clearly have above). The Leinster examples are the ones I know best, and I've used them as such. Specific (198 minutes for my player vs 174 minutes for yours) examples aren't what I'm trying to show here, but an overall trend of not using players outside of a set group. It's something that EOS did @ Ireland and got chastised for, it's something that Kidney did at Munster but was fine because they were all young (fine in short term anyway) and it's something that Kidney did at Ireland and it gutted him eventually.

As posted previously, 2 games at 10 is hardly 'giving gametime' to Hanrahan, and how many games did Sherdian play when Munster were still in sight of the playoffs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Really nice gesture from the lads at Donal Walsh's funeral, RIP

970258_481039331970198_1529185417_n.png

Yes, saw that this morning. Guard of honour from both his gaa club & Tralee Rugby club. Main street in town was lined on both sides by the townspeople & the cortege was applauded as it passed thru. Very moving & amazing to see how someone so young has had such a positive effect on the whole country

• Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Any word on ROG's and Murray's contracts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

pedantic much?

Ah come off it. It's not pedantic to point out that you were wrong in saying Munster only gave gametime to 4 players in key positions this season when infact the number is 6 in a debate about developing players

• Advertisement

Ah come off it. It's not pedantic to point out that you were wrong in saying Munster only gave gametime to 4 players in key positions this season when infact the number is 6 in a debate about developing players

Without being pedantic, that's exactly what pedantic is.

Point scoring instead of responding to an overall message.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If Emmet says something that is wrong and you point it out, it is only because you are looking to do some point scoring.

(I consider that another point in the bag)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Without being pedantic, that's exactly what pedantic is.

Point scoring instead of responding to an overall message.

You said "Where have I exaggerated?" And then he pointed out a fairly large exaggeration.

Seems to me he was responding to that message pretty directly.

cool.

Real cool

You said "Where have I exaggerated?" And then he pointed out a fairly large exaggeration.

dis

• Advertisement

Statement : "Munster invested gametime in one other out half this season"
    Fact: Hanrahan played 2 games at ten.

Statement: "Munster invested gametime in one other scrum half this season"
    Fact: Sheridan has had a couple of starts since the league was over. (4 starts 4 subs total) In a season when Murray and Stringer weren't available for large portions.

Fairly large exaggeration?

Come off it.

Night folks.

Statement : "Munster invested gametime in one other out half this season"
    Fact: Hanrahan played 2 games at ten.

Statement: "Munster invested gametime in one other scrum half this season"
    Fact: Sheridan has had a couple of starts since the league was over. In a season when Murray and Stringer weren't available for large portions.

Fairly large exaggeration?

Come off it.

Night folks.

It was

Sheridan has started 4 games for Munster and benched in a HC semi. 8 appearances overall. Your statement is a large exaggeration because it ignores all those appearances and implies that Murray and Williams are the only 2 nines given game time for Munster this year

Same with ROG and Keatley being the only 10's to play when JJ has played at ten this year

I don't know how you can't see how what you said was wrong/an exaggeration

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Ruck Inspector

It was

Sheridan has started 4 games for Munster and benched in a HC semi. 8 appearances overall. Your statement is a large exaggeration because it ignores all those appearances and implies that Murray and Williams are the only 2 nines given game time for Munster this year

Same with ROG and Keatley being the only 10's to play. JJ got two full games at 10

two full games is a nothing investment for a player of JJ's potential

two full games is a nothing investment for a player of JJ's potential

That's only at 10, he's played at 12 this season too. In fact I was reasonably happy with the amount of senior gametime JJ got this year

I don't know how you can't see how what you said was wrong/an exaggeration

I will ensure to be robotically precise from now on. No problem.

In my opinion there's no chance you could consider 2 games adequate development time for a backup ten in the final season of your starting 10s contract.
    In my opinion 4 games as a starter to try to find a second choice scrum half when you consider your first choice scrum half is missing for 1/4 the season is almost an insult.

Anyway, I'm done debating this manically depressively circular argument. I bowed out last season in much the same vein. Carry on ignoring internal development. I'm a Leinster fan, I don't mind in that regard. Just means that for Ireland we're going to see a lot more of Ulster's product coming through, and we'll need to see Connacht's production system getting the rewards it deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Care to take any of what was said and rebut it or just going to leave a throwaway sarcastic comment in response to genuine constructive criticism?

No I am happy to leave the throwaway sarcastic comment , but thanks for asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

For a 20 year old lad, JJH had plenty of game time this season. He's not the second coming. He's a kid who is developing and is being managed. His performances did not demand more game time which is not to say he was disappointing at all. He made 11 appearances (including 5 starts) this season which is plenty for a bloke learning the ropes at 20 years old.

Jan Serfontein who was undoubtedly deserving of the IRB U20 Player of the Year, has only 4 starts for the Bulls this season and is far more physically prepared for professional rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Ya Munster are terrible at developing young players. Its the reason why are back and front rows are over the hill. Why Murray is with the Lions. Why players like Zebo and LOD have never kicked on.

I guess we just have to be happy we reached one last HEC semifinal as its not like we've a young squad that can push on from where they left off this season.

Ya Munster are terrible at developing young players. Its the reason why are back and front rows are over the hill. Why Murray is with the Lions. Why players like Zebo and LOD have never kicked on.

I guess we just have to be happy we reached one last HEC semifinal as its not like we've a young squad that can push on from where they left off this season.

Squad can certainly push on, but to suggest Munster were a very strong team this year is hilarious. They can still get up for the once off occasion especially when POC is around but without his inspiring presence you were decidedly below average for most of the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Terrible no but could be much better. No the back-row is not over the hill.
    How has Zebo not kicked on???
    We have the bones of a good squad that can go on and do well the next few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

ormond lad wrote: »
    Terrible no but could be much better. No the back-row is not over the hill.
    How has Zebo not kicked on???
    We have the bones of a good squad that can go on and do well the next few years

I think you are missing his point a tad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

I think you are missing his point a tad.
    Yeah reading post again I prob am but...

Anyway here's an academy update
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/11936.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Squad can certainly push on, but to suggest Munster were a very strong team this year is hilarious. They can still get up for the once off occasion especially when POC is around but without his inspiring presence you were decidedly below average for most of the season

Did I suggest that Munster were a very strong team? Its a new group of unproven but largely exciting players who now have proof that they can go toe-to-toe with the best in Europe. Sure there are areas of concern in the squad, but things should only grow from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Eod100 wrote: »
    Any word on ROG's and Murray's contracts?

Nothing as of yet. Its probably a safe bet to say Murray is getting a central contract. ROG could stay for 1 more year after the efforts of Tremenjus

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Murray is just after getting a full contract, he'll be getting a central contract when anything comes up.

As for not trying out new players, I know stats are great for showing a lot of stuff, but I think it's important to have younger players supported when they come through, no point in just throwing in 15 under 20s and letting them play, having someone like Horan on the pitch will mean that younger players can look to him for leadership or he can give some tips on what to do. Over the past couple of years Munster have had a completely new pack and backline, it's difficult to give more players a chance when the players they'd be replacing would only be getting used to each other. In almost every position we have 2 players than can play there without weakening the team, hopefully we'll be getting a few more lads out to get up to 3 in a lot of positions, especially where we'll be losing players to the Irish setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Is there a culture in Munster of players staying on longer towards the end of their careers compared to other provinces, I know with Leinster in particular guys have left with plenty of mileage left in the clock, most notably Hickie and Gleeson. I know Cullen, BOD, D'arcy are old but still first choice so would have no reason to retire.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

shuffol wrote: »
    Is there a culture in Munster of players staying on longer towards the end of their careers compared to other provinces, I know with Leinster in particular guys have left with plenty of mileage left in the clock, most notably Hickie and Gleeson. I know Cullen, BOD, D'arcy are old but still first choice so would have no reason to retire.

Mick O'Driscoll could have played on for another couple of years I reckon. I don't think it's a provincial thing, it's more a tax incentive and being offered a longer contract, I can't think of many players that have being given a "mercy" contract.

Clareman wrote: »
    Murray is just after getting a full contract, he'll be getting a central contract when anything comes up.

His contract is up this summer and nothing has been announced.

His contract is up this summer and nothing has been announced.

You sure? He just finished in the academy in 10/11, I always thought his first contract was 3 years, no matter, whenever it's up he'll be getting a Central Contract, no player who's the starting player in his position AND on the Lions tour will be skipped over.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    You sure? He just finished in the academy in 10/11, I always thought his first contract was 3 years, no matter, whenever it's up he'll be getting a Central Contract, no player who's the starting player in his position AND on the Lions tour will be skipped over.

Obviously I'm not advocating he shouldn't be offered a contract, just that its being reported that his contract is up this summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement